Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

have you ever killed an animal?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭sorrywhat

I killed my brother gold fish when I was about 7. Mine died and it wasn't fair so I over fed his one. Pretty horrible thing to do. Still feel bad over it.

My friends mam did this one -

My friend has gone away for the weekend and gave her hamster to her mother
    to look after it.
    It had some cotten wool type stuff in the cage as bedding. There was a wheel anda few
    other bits and pieces. Anyway, the hamster was playing or something and got caught up
    in the bedding stuff. It must have gotten distressed and started running around cos when her mam went to feed it the next time the hamster was like hanging from an object
    in the cage by this bedding thing.

So..... instead of burying the hamster, she took it out of all the bedding, kinda propped it
    up in the cage with a piece a cheese and told my friend "it must have choked on the cheese"

WTF, she propped up a dead animal with cheese!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

MJ23 wrote: »
    I've drowned dozens of new born kittens, in a big bucket out the back of the house. The 3 cats we have must be very fertile, and every Tom from around the town comes in for his bit. The cats are wild, so cant catch them to have them neutred.

Throw yourself in the big bucket next time.

How about trapping the cats and getting them neutered? Maybe getting in a professional to do it if you can't? Contacting the local SPCA?
    Drowning the kittens is a disgusting and lazy way to "deal" with the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭samsemtex

Pffftt, all of you with your puny animal deaths. I killed a bull when I was 15. I was feeding cattle and I was grapping some silage with the grab on the front of the tractor when one of them put his head in under the grab. It went through the back of his head and killed him pretty much instantly. I went into a bit of shock and went over to the animal and made the mistake of checking his head to see if he was just dazed when I felt the hole in the back of his head. Ran down the farm panicking that I had killed a cow.

I murdered him...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

samsemtex wrote: »
    Pffftt, all of you with your puny animal deaths. I killed a bull when I was 15. I was feeding cattle and I was grapping some silage with the grab on the front of the tractor when one of them put his head in under the grab. It went through the back of his head and killed him pretty much instantly. I went into a bit of shock and went over to the animal and made the mistake of checking his head to see if he was just dazed when I felt the hole in the back of his head. Ran down the farm panicking that I had killed a cow.

I murdered him...:(

God almighty, my old man would kill me if i did that, id be worried about another potential murder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭samsemtex

God almighty, my old man would kill me if i did that, id be worried about another potential murder.

The only reason he didnt murder me was because I was in a bit of a state at what I had just done and I was only 14 or 15. I hadnt really used that tractor before on my own either. It probably wiped out any profits that were made on those animals that year :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭junior_apollo

my mate shot a rabbit before and it screamed like a child
    I then had to finish it off

That was the beginning and end of our hunting careers, we haven't spoken of it since

So because it was screaming like a child, you were recruited to finish it off?... hmm

Your name wouldnt be Josef by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I choked a chicken once... well more than once... ok, a few times... every day...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

I just missed a dog with my car last week, it was ok though, I got him the 2nd time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

69 wrote: »
    I choked a chicken once... well more than once... ok, a few times... every day...

Do you also spank a monkey?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Sometimes, when I'm not wrestling my snake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I have mowed down afew rabbits while driving at night. Rabbits are IDIOTS when presented with headlights. More than once Ive seen one standing in the ditch only to suddenly get suicidal and rush headlong into the car. I think its a Darwinian thing. Cars are rabbits natural predators, its just survival of the fittest!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Jerry Ryan wrote:

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭slippy wicket

Apart from the usual vermin road kill, which does not really bother me, I have shot a few different types of animals.
    The only ones that are memorable are the ones that i put down as they were suffering. The worst was a foal that had surgery on one of its joints, and a few days later something happened and the joint was destroyed. The hardest thing was that every time i got my gun up to shoot it in the head it would come over and start rubbing its head up against me as it had got very tame through all its treatment.
    It really was very upsetting and took all the pleasure out of shooting for about 6 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

DazMarz wrote: »
    Do ignorant looking things like spiders, wasps, flies and so on count? If so, then yes. If not, then not to my better knowledge, no.

Ignorant looking? Does not compute...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

One of my mates joined the army a few years back and part of their training was to kill a rabbit with their bare hands. They had to break its neck, presumably as some sort of character building exercise. Anyway there was about 20 of them in a room, female soldiers and all, some crying at the horribleness of it all, snapping little bunnies necks. He said his didn't die the first time he tried either, it took seveal goes. Sounds absolutely terrible but kind of funny in a surreal way at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 benzie

When I as young I killed, lizards, birds with a Catapult

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Most weekends when I go hunting. A crow flew into my bike the other day, I was doing about 100kph, could still hear the cruch though. I hate crows, so it was a good start to the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Killed a few birds in the car that flew out in front of me. I always imagine them sitting in the hedge egging each other on because the amount of near misses I have had with me thinks they do it for the craic.:D mad wee things

Worst was a friends cat that was 17 years old at the time i think. Apparently it always lay in the drive but was too lazy/old to move for things. I was reversing out as you do and felt something, thought to myself "I didnt know there was a kerb there", then looked out the passenger window to the cat doing backflips in the garden. Died within a few mins:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭BongoJuice

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Killed a few birds in the car that flew out in front of me. I always imagine them sitting in the hedge egging each other on because the amount of near misses I have had with me thinks they do it for the craic.
    The rate of suicide amongst young male crows between the ages of 3-5 in Ireland is the highest in Europe. It's no laughing matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Blueboyd

I'm a mass ant-murderer

Have killed lots of fish too.

Never killed a bird. Made few sea gulls eat bread soaked with booze as a kid though and laughed when they were trying to fly straight forward all drunk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

c - 13 wrote: »
    4 Pheasants
    Flew out in front of the car on a narrow country road and couldn't avoid (different times obviously not all together)

2 Pigeons
    Flew out of ditch and into car windscreen while driving on motorway so couldnt swerve

1 fox cub
    Feel bad about this one as I slowed to a crawl and everything to avoid it, it went into the ditch and I proceeded slowly, then he darted back out and straight in under the wheel.

1 Guinea Fowl
    Truck in front of me hit it and it was still alive when it hit my windscreen so I kind of killed it by proxy

Insects and rodents using traps and poisons.

This reads like a particularly grim re-imagining of The Twelve Days of Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

kowloon wrote: »
    Hit a jackdaw on my bike, didn't kill it but snapped its leg in two, so it was doomed.
    Accidentally choked a dove when I was handfeeding it, it was too weak to swallow, probably would have died anyway.
    Had to shoot a vicious rooster that was attacking people.
    Shot fox that lived near my chickens, probably the same fox responsible for killing over half of them.
    Have hunted rabbit.
    Killed many a rat that has been attracted to the bird feeder/ chicken feed.

Was the jackdaw actually stealing your bike or merely using it as a perch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

I killed a dog once absolutely nothing I could do was upset for weeks still feel bad :(.

To anybody who enjoys/is ok with killing animals like their inanimate objects - as I`m cautious of the whole attack the post not the poster - I hate your posts and I hope your posts suffer as much as the animals they mock.

I feel physically sick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Some worms and ants as a child. Its only hunting humans these days. (In modern warfare 2 that is;))

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

theg81der wrote: »
    I killed a dog once absolutely nothing I could do was upset for weeks still feel bad :(.

To anybody who enjoys/is ok with killing animals like their inanimate objects - as I`m cautious of the whole attack the post not the poster - I hate your posts and I hope your posts suffer as much as the animals they mock.

I feel physically sick.

With the exception of vermin, I eat what I hunt and I really enjoy it. Do you eat meat? If so are you ok with it being killed for you to live? Out of interest how could my post suffer?

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭ElBarco

Ran over a cat once going through a village. I would have stopped but it was the same time that schools were closing and there was a very shocked looking child nearby.... I made a hasty exit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

I`m veggie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Sure have. Foxes, greycrows, magpies, mink, rats and mice on purpose. 2 hares and several badgers by accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Tail Wagger

bonerm wrote: »
    I once sat on a cock.

Would you like to sit on another one?

Yea worked in a Slaughter House for years, killed 100s cattle/Sheep/Pigs/ yum! yum!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

i dont kill the foxes, but on our hunts we do once a month, i send the dogs after the little hoors

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement