Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Import Duty/VAT Thread. Read Post #1 for Rules

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,554 ✭✭✭✭zell12

What are the average delays in Customs? Days? Item from Amazon, shipped from UK with UPS. Is it normal for Amazon to use UPS to clear customs (value ~eur300) and then a UPS handling fee?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

For Amazon the VAT is payable at point of sale.

Unless you're ordering from a third party - then it's a whole different ball game which may have an unhappy ending.

UPS handling fee is 18.50

On 9 June, I paid customs to An Post for an item from UK (NOT Amazon but a private seller)

Wasn't delivered until 21 June. But normally it's usually only a 2 or 3 day wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,554 ✭✭✭✭zell12

In this case Amazon is the seller, shipped from UK, charged the ex-VAT price, but they've taken an 'import fees deposit' of around eur70 (which should cover 23% vat). I did not realise they used UPS for this as they have their own inhouse courier

• Registered Users Posts: 7,540 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Their in house courier is only for the Dublin area, anywhere else and it will either be delivered by An Post or UPS, DHL is used from the DE site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭MrCostington

Hi, I guess this has been asked before but I'm not reading 80 pages!

This is my first time ordering outside the EU in many years so forget the process.

Some car parts are on the way from the UK by Parcel Monkey / DPD, value £80/€93 inc shipping. So, I'm due to pay VAT plus whatever handling fee DPD charge, yes?

My main question is how do I pay this. Will I get a link to pay online, or do I pay the driver?

Thanks!

PS private seller if that makes any difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭VG31

DPD don't handle packages where the import charges haven't already been paid by the sender. If it's coming with DPD you won't have to pay anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭MrCostington

Thanks @vg31 I just emailed the seller after reading your post, he confirms what you say.

I just wanted to check so that I don't get fooled by one of those scam texts about "your parcel" which I usually ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

I bought some small car parts through eBay recently and eBay charged VAT at 23% on the items. I was then caught for more vat by anpost. having sold items back to the uk myself, there is usually a code to apply to the item which then presumably clears customs. Have eBay implemented this for goods arriving from the uk? The seller is arguing over this and saying it is my fault and I must pay duties. Customs wanted a further 8.50 or something. I raised it with a post and they said there is no appeals process it is what it is despite VAT being paid already. Thoughts?

Same happened to me last week. Ebay collected VAT at checkout but An Post charged me VAT plus 3.50 admin fee.

I complained to Ebay and they refunded the VAT charged by An Post (after I provided proof of payment). But not the 3.50 admin fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Gaurav10b

Most websites that advertise in Ireland would already be paying customs. So it's safe to assume that it you see sm advertisement it would be vat paid

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Its not safe to assume anything. Always check, particularly if it ships from the UK, as most companies don't understand what is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

Out of curiosity what % of packages from UK and US get opened by customs

I was ordering cheap prescription glasses from US (below €20 inc delivery) and every order was opened and I had to email customs with receipt before it was released

Does everything coming through addresspal get opened

100% seem to be examined, not all are necessarily opened. Don’t know about AddressPal

In the good old days only a small number of non-EU packages were examined by customs. If you were unlucky you had to pay the VAT. There was a bigger chance of being “caught” in November & December each year.

Back then the only reason a package would be rejected was if it was undeliverable (wrong address). No such thing as “failed electronic customs clearance”.

How would they have the time to examine every package ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Every AddressPal parcel is opened. There is no lower limit for VAT anymore, and customs are advised of packages coming in.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭borygo77

MOD: <SNIP> Read the first post on this thread, and the charter, before posting again please. Pay particular attention to the bit about asking about evading tax/duty. Thanks

Post edited by whiterebel on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

Update - seller put. Case to eBay and bot ruled in his favour. I called eBay - yes you can call them, got a super helpful Irish lady on the phone and she totally understood the issue, explained that the seller should specify correct vat paid etc and promptly reversed the decision and sent me a refund. Great job eBay!

Is the vat gone now on items bought from outside eu ?

It's confusing the opening post says the vat is going on 1st of July ?

Also says duty is on value on items only , whereas above posters are saying value + shipping

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭tphase

you're misreading the opening post - the limits are exemption limits. There is no exemption limit for VAT (used to be €22) ie you pay 23% on the value of item which is the sum of the purchase price plus the cost of shipping and insurance. The exemption limit for duty remains at €150 ie if the purchase price is more than €150, you will be charged duty

So you pay vat on something costing €10 Inc. postage ?

Duty is only on intrinsic value

• Advertisement

on purchases worth over €150, I am just charged 23% VAT plus admin fee - same rule as below €150. No “duty”. Is this usual?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭VG31

Yes, even over €150 duty doesn't always apply. Computer parts/electronics for instance are exempt from duty.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Lads I'm so confused and looking for clarity. Have a package coming from the US via FedEx. Showing as in Trasnit in Santry but never delivered. Queried FedEx who said held in customs as an EORI number is needed.

Looking at Revenue, it seems to be needed for business use and not for private citizen just ordering once off goods for non business use.

Rang customs and someone on overflow put me to An Post who said the deceleration by the sender was wrong and we may have been listed as a business and FedEx needs to resolve this for us as we don't need am EORI number.

How could this error have happened ? Package is for personal use but the delivery address is to work, unless that made customs assume it was for business use?

assuming it's a FedEx shipment with a FedEx waybill number (12 digits), I'd email ie-clearance@fedex.com and explain that it's a personal shipment being delivered at your workplace for convenience. If your workplace has an EORI, maybe check with them if it's OK to use it.

If it's a postal shipment handled by FedEx, I'd have thought An Post would clear it and they should be able to sort it out. I say should but we all know how adept they are at manual intervention when their automated systems fail.....

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Sound thanks, we've emailed them so just waiting. Is it a case of customs assuming it's for business or is it something to do with the declaration from the sender?

All handled by fedex, An Post no involvement!

I'd say it's the declaration from the sender, I reckon customs rarely get directly involved. Mind you, I'm surprised it took so long for an issue to arise. If there's no EORI on the declaration (assuming it was done electronically), that should have been flagged earlier. The clearance process starts as soon as the shipment is picked up

Sender contacted FedEx. Issue was the address being a business, they assumed it was for the business and will resolve now they have clarification.

Mad if true, surely its not uncommon to have packages delivered to work places for personal use?

• Advertisement

I order from CD Japan every few months and use Fedex. Delivered to my home address.

For my second last order, Fedex emailed me saying

"In order to clear your shipment (SEE ATTACHED), we need your EORI number if it is for the company. If it is a private shipment, please provide us with an email confirming this"

I just went back and said it was a private shipment, just a few rare CDs. Delivered without issue.

Advertisement