Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Import Duty/VAT Thread. Read Post #1 for Rules

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,899 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

That's how international shipping works. You even ticked a box when ordering saying that you understand that you are responsible for local taxes and charges.

If you want to avoid taxes and charges stay under €25, including shopping, or stay in the EU if spending any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

It's normal taxation.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

You purchased goods from outside the eU. Hence you had to pay import taxes and duty on the goods and the cost of transport.

Moving to online Buying and Auctions where all this is covered in detail.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava

MOD: Merged with sticky thread, you will have all the info you need on it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭deravarra

Del2005 wrote: »
    That's how international shipping works. You even ticked a box when ordering saying that you understand that you are responsible for local taxes and charges.

If you want to avoid taxes and charges stay under €25, including shopping, or stay in the EU if spending any more.

it would be impossible, as any of the individual items, including shipping, would cost more than 25 euro - and you cannot get this item outside of the US afaik.

But still, I dont get why I am paying revenue for a service (which transport is) availed of outside the state.

Perhaps I should let them know that I have eaten a few meals while on hols. Perhaps they should tax me on that too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭deravarra

dudara wrote: »
    You purchased goods from outside the eU. Hence you had to pay import taxes and duty on the goods and the cost of transport.

Moving to online Buying and Auctions where all this is covered in detail.

I can understand paying import tax and duty on the goods, and VAT on the cost of transport from the US - but I cannot understand why I am liable to pay Irish tax on a service availed of in the US. The vendor started and terminated their delivery in the US. Why should I pay Irish tax on that? Seems a little stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭davetherave

deravarra wrote: »
    I can understand paying import tax and duty on the goods, and VAT on the cost of transport from the US - but I cannot understand why I am liable to pay Irish tax on a service availed of in the US. The vendor started and terminated their delivery in the US. Why should I pay Irish tax on that? Seems a little stupid.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/tax-professionals/tdm/customs/valuation/valuation.pdf

Just because it has been delivered to "AnPost" PolarExpress in New Jersey doesn't mean it has been delivered to the EU border.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Hi, I want to order a plasma cutter from AliExpress, it's working out about 100 euro cheaper than Amazon or any other online stores, there is an option to have it shipped from Spain instead of China.
    Obviously if I have to pay import duty and vat it's going to be considerably more expensive, just wondering how realible this option of having it shipped from Spain is?
    Have any of you ordered something from AliExpress and specified EU shipping only to have it shipped from China and be stung for import duty?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 k77_99

I wish to purchase a 2nd hand synthesizer from the USA - value $800

Can anyone tell me what customs and VAT I'd have to pay on that?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

check this thread

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055862554

2nd hand makes no difference, you will have duty too, and VAT on the shipping. Be sure the seller has all the details correct or they can really screw you badly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Moved to Online Buying & Auctions

• Registered Users Posts: 7,229 ✭✭✭facehugger99

So, a few months ago I ordered a poster from an American Website, the item was delivered and 6 weeks later I got an invoice from Fed Ex saying I owed them around €27.

This was broken down into around €13 for import duties and €14 administration fee.

The poster was $35 I think.

Anyway, I'm wondering if this is allowed.

I didn't enter into any contract with Fed Ex and if I owe import duties I surely owe them to Revenue not to Fed Ex, never mind the administration charge they have decided to apply.

I ignored the first couple of letters they sent out and the latest one is threatening some unspecified legal action.

Any advice?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Pretty common when buying from the US unfortunately. They’re obliged to collect the tax. The fees are a joke however you’re going to have to stump up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

I didn't enter into any contract with Fed Ex and if I owe import duties I surely owe them to Revenue not to Fed Ex, never mind the administration charge they have decided to apply.

They act as an agent for Revenue.
    I ignored similar from FedEx a long time ago and it went away.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

When you order something online from outside the EU over a certain value you are liable for import duty/VAT payable to revenue.

Revenue have agreement with courier companies that they will collect these charges on their behalf from the recipients of these goods and that they can charge a processing fee to do the same. That is why you got the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

You'll be struggling to get out of that and get your poster.

Very important to keep in mind when ordering from the US that VAT and duties are charged on the total of price plus shipping you paid plus they are allowed to charge a 'handling fee'.

I believe its waived for anything under a total of €25. Much better to look out for sellers that handle the import duties on your behalf, at least you know the total beforehand and there a re not hidden 'handling' fees. Fedex are pretty steep anyway.

Missed that you have your poster already. Typically they don't deliver until paid. I'd chance my arm in this case. But then what happens with your next order nobody knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

If you take a look on revenue.ie they have breakdowns of charges etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

FedEx seem to be the only company that deliver first and invoice afterwards, every other courier company (or An Post) won't release the item until you've paid.

We've had a lot of issues at work as people receive personal items, but FedEx then issue an invoice to the company asking for the VAT/Duty/admin charge! It ends up causing way more hassle this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Online Buying & Auctions

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I ordered a poster from an America I got an invoice from Fed Ex saying I owed them around €27.
    This was broken down into around €13 for import duties and €14 administration fee.
    The poster was $35 I think.
    What was the shipping price and what did you pay in total to have it delivered to you on the website before FedEx came knocking?
    They do have their own fees, but the tax seems excessive.

$35 today = €31

Which should put the vat around €7 + €14 for admin fees.

But you don't mention shipping fees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,229 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Suckit wrote: »
    What was the shipping price and what did you pay in total to have it delivered to you on the website before FedEx came knocking?
    They do have their own fees, but the tax seems excessive.

$35 today = €31

Which should put the vat around €7 + €14 for admin fees.

But you don't mention shipping fees.

Just checked my CC - $59.60 total which converted to €52.68.

Just checked my CC - $59.60 total which converted to €52.68.
    Pricey shipping :(

The charges are about right.
    This is a handy site to use in future, https://www.calculatevat.net/
    Enter the total including shipping to get the vat, then add the expected 'admin fee/handling charge of roughly €15 depending on courier.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Kaleb2015

Just a quick question. I bought quite a few electronic nic nacs on ebay adding up to just under 400 euro. All items cost under 20 euro and from what i thought was different sellers. Turns out that its different ebay accounts same seller. How do i know? He put up a tracking number and i seen the same tracking details on all the items. So i contacted him on one of the accounts and he said he just threw everything in the same box. Does that mean now i am going to have to pay customs on that box for everything where i wouldnt have if he sent everything seperate. I had also paid seperate postage to him for each item so he got quite a bit there.

Unfortunately if the items are sold and shipped from outside the EU and unless the seller marked the box as under €22 in total including postage you will have to pay vat + handling fee.
    I would contact the seller first, then ebay and possibly paypal and let them know that you may incur extra charges for the individual purchases, before the items arrive.
    Maybe tell the seller that you will refuse it unless he agrees to pay any extra charges, if he refuses contact ebay and paypal and let them know the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

your def facing issue with getting hit with tax and handling here, thou that said ebay/paypal is notorious on sellers, thus many times sellers will usually try to make things right.

in this case id say calculate what you lost on shipping and what amount of taxes your facing and try to reach middle ground with seller, as eitherway you can get refunded as paypal ebay goes, but youd still lose a good bit of money if it came to that.

your leverage here is that seller has multiple accounts and while in every t&c it says ur responsible for any import taxes etc, in this case you'd have no clue if sellers were related having multiple accounts, so if shipping was taken for each item it was supposed to be shipped separately- if you used ebay to contact they would be on your side for that mistake which might be costly to seller, happened couple times to me buying of UK and every time it would be adjusted accordingly when they realized that its going to same address.
    as at the end on smaller items its saves cash to ship in single bundle then separately, but def not when ordering from outside EU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Bought an item on ebay from China for €34, got a letter this morning saying there is a charge for €30 to be paid :(

Does that sound right? I know there's no charge for items under €22.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,179 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

ozzy jr wrote: »
    Bought an item on ebay from China for €34, got a letter this morning saying there is a charge for €30 to be paid :(

how much was the shipping? who was it shipped with? You pay vat on the total cost including shipping. The courier companies charge a fee of around €15 to process the customs declaration for you. If there is no shipping listed on the invoice they use a standard rate which is always very high.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

ozzy jr wrote: »

Check the 1st post of this thread, it gives all the information about imports.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,485 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Ordering a commercial electronic product from Aliexpress..

€233 inc shipping
    • Package Weight: 9.0kg (19.84lb.)
    • Package Size: 40cm x 20cm x 10cm (15.75in x 7.87in x 3.94in)
    Any idea what sort of duty and vat I'd be paying ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

_Brian wrote: »
    Ordering a commercial electronic product from Aliexpress..

€233 inc shipping
    • Package Weight: 9.0kg (19.84lb.)
    • Package Size: 40cm x 20cm x 10cm (15.75in x 7.87in x 3.94in)
    Any idea what sort of duty and vat I'd be paying ?

E233 plus import duty.
    Then apply VAT at 23% of above total.

Approx E80.

Advertisement