Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Import Duty/VAT Thread. Read Post #1 for Rules

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

uncle-mofo wrote: »
    I bought a second hand bike part from the US. It showed up this morning with 102e in fees. The seller said he had marked it as a gift. Is there any way to challenge this? As I don't have the money to go and collect it!

No, you cannot challenge it. If you don't pay, it will be returned to the sender. Read post #1, all the detail is there. Marking something as a gift, when it's not a gift, will do nothing for you. As rubadub points out, there is a limit to the gift exemption too.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭uncle-mofo

jor el wrote: »
    No, you cannot challenge it. If you don't pay, it will be returned to the sender. Read post #1, all the detail is there. Marking something as a gift, when it's not a gift, will do nothing for you. As rubadub points out, there is a limit to the gift exemption too.

I don't understand where they got 102e from? The part was second hand with a lot of custom modifications. It wasn't bought from a shop, only from a random bloke on the internet. I've tried getting through to the customs office but I've had no luck.

Was there a value declared on the package? If there wasn't, or they felt this was not genuine, then they can value it themselves. If it's over €150, then duty will be applied plus VAT at 21% plus the handling fee of maybe €15. How much did you pay for it? I assume it was a courier that delivered it too. You should query the charges with them, and they can provide a break down of what is what.

I've never heard of anyone successfully contacting customs on such an issue. It seems to be almost impossible to reach them.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

You can enter values into the duty calculator site from the first post. http://www.dutycalculator.com/

I put in a bike valued at $400, and postage of $100
    Total customs value: €353.23
    Import duty: €49.45
    Import VAT: €84.56
    Total import duty & VAT due: €134.02
    Total landed cost: €487.25 at USD/EUR exchange rate of 0.7065

This does not include the handling fee from anpost/courier

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Hi all,

I've ordered a guitar from america. Value $1799 + $195 shipping (approx. €1460) . So presuming the customs will charge approx. 25% on this (just a nice round number to work with) it works out around €365. Then there's going to be a handling charge of around €15 right?

Also, because the value is above €650 (I read this somewhere online) is it true I'll have to pay a customs agent €50 to fill in some kind of form as well?

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of this. Also, because the customs charge could end up being around €450, will they attempt to deliver this and charge me at the door, or will they send a letter? I'm guessing it's hit or miss?

It's currently in customs clearance in portlaoise now, I'm fully expecting customs fees and factored this into the overall cost of the guitar. Just hope it doesn't take weeks because I'm going on holidays at the end of the month.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭emmet the rover

sorry if this has been coverd but i have a mate in the US that wants to send me a pouch of tobbacco under 50g as a gift as it cannot be got over here.
    however i dont fancy having to deal with a load of red tape from the revenue or to be seen to avoid paying duitys or vat by not saying anything .

is there lower limits on receving excisable porducts as gifts from the usa?
    if yes what notice should be put on envolape ie
    "contains 50g of pipe tobacco sent as a gift" for customs to easly identify

or should i just leave it until he comes back to eire

Tobacco products are not treated the same, and there is no exemption from duty. You will have to pay full duty, but maybe not VAT. If the value exceeds €45 (including duty and postage), then you would have to pay VAT. The exemptions you would have for personal allowance, when travelling yourself, do not apply.

@funkyflea, all answered in post #1.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

I need a customs clearance agent to fill in a SAD form - where can I find one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

There are a few customs clearance agents near Connolly station, Bartley customs clearance on store street is on, just put it into the golden pages website to get one nearer your location

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭No_Deal

Hi all,

Apologies in advance if this is answered somewhere else I can't find it.

I recently ordered a pair of earphones online (Earphone Solutions) who are based in the U.S. for $129 incl. shipping.

They arrived last Friday week via Fedex - my brother took delivery of the package,signed etc,no problems.

Received an invoice this morning from Fedex for an outstanding balance of €25.38.

VAT = €15.28
    Admin Fee = €10

Excuse my ignorance if this is common practice.

I shop quite a bit online but only once before have been subject to customs/VAT - I purchased a digital camera years ago from Singapore which upon taking delivery of it I was asked for €60 in taxes which I paid.

I felt if there was VAT owed on the earbuds that my brother would have been made aware of it on delivery and in fact going from my previous experience would have been asked for payment there and then.

I am somewhat perplexed by this invoice I've received over a week and half later.

So boardies can you help me out?
    • Is the issuing of the invoice in the described manner common practice?
    • Why am I liable to the admin fee if I was not made aware at any point that monies were owed prior to receiving the invoice?

edit: admin charge im assuimg is their handling charge for calculating the VAT

• Advertisement

No_Deal wrote: »
    Is the issuing of the invoice in the described manner common practice?

Yes, for couriers.

Why am I liable to the admin fee if I was not made aware at any point that monies were owed prior to receiving the invoice?

They are allowed to charge it, so they do. There is no medium or method to contest it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

So, i'm planning on getting some computer parts from my brother who lives in Jersey. He can get them much cheaper, because of the VAT rate. So anyway, as an example i put the GPU that is listed as around £160, and when i put the details into the Duty Calculator on the 1st page, there is no additional charges.

Is this right? And if so, how come? Is it because it's within the EU?

Also, i'll be getting a few more items, and would it be better to get them all sent together, or seperatly.

Neither Jersey nor the Channel Islands are on the list. If you selected UK, then that was wrong. Jersey is not part of the UK, and is not in the EU. It doesn't really matter what outside country you pick, as the duty/VAT at import remains the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭eskerman

Hi all,

Apologies in advance if this is answered somewhere else I can't find it.

I recently ordered a pair of earphones online (Earphone Solutions) who are based in the U.S. for $129 incl. shipping.

They arrived last Friday week via Fedex - my brother took delivery of the package,signed etc,no problems.

Received an invoice this morning from Fedex for an outstanding balance of €25.38.

VAT = €15.28
    Admin Fee = €10

Excuse my ignorance if this is common practice.

I shop quite a bit online but only once before have been subject to customs/VAT - I purchased a digital camera years ago from Singapore which upon taking delivery of it I was asked for €60 in taxes which I paid.

I felt if there was VAT owed on the earbuds that my brother would have been made aware of it on delivery and in fact going from my previous experience would have been asked for payment there and then.

I am somewhat perplexed by this invoice I've received over a week and half later.

So boardies can you help me out?
    • Is the issuing of the invoice in the described manner common practice?
    • Why am I liable to the admin fee if I was not made aware at any point that monies were owed prior to receiving the invoice?

edit: admin charge im assuimg is their handling charge for calculating the VAT

I had the very same experience with Fedex. Bought a camera accessory from a retailer in China, package delivered to my door very fast service from China... two weeks later as invoice arrives from Fedex with a Vat bill plus a €10 handling fee.

I wrote to Fedex to ask them to explain the charge of €10 handling fee considering I already paid carriage from China.. no reply to my letter, then I get a 1st warning letter to demand payment in total €29.50.... week later I get a second and final notice to pay or they will send in a debt collector..

I have not had any reply from Fedex to my letter..

Just pay of you get debt collector..! I don't mind paying VAT but handling fee...!

eskerman wrote: »
    I wrote to Fedex to ask them to explain the charge of €10 handling fee considering I already paid carriage from China.
    This is for dealing with customs on your behalf, an post would charge you too.

If you bought the item in a shop here they would have included the VAT in the price, they also would have added on extra to pay the accounts people who have to process it all -this extra could be considered a customs handling fee.

If fedex were to bother to reply to you they might have to increase charges even more in the future to cover those admin costs!

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭creativedrinker

Hey, I'm looking at buying a gopro camera from the states and for it plus accessories + shipping its costing $630, i was wondering will i be charged the vat/duty on it at E440 (the rough conversion) or will it be 21% of 630??

Im just trying to figure the cheapest way to buy this item and theres a massive difference between euro and use prices.. if it was at the 440 cost it would roughly be 92 + their handling right??

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭eskerman

Hey, I'm looking at buying a gopro camera from the states and for it plus accessories + shipping its costing $630, i was wondering will i be charged the vat/duty on it at E440 (the rough conversion) or will it be 21% of 630??

Im just trying to figure the cheapest way to buy this item and theres a massive difference between euro and use prices.. if it was at the 440 cost it would roughly be 92 + their handling right??

Im told its worth asking the vendor to post the item by normal mail, and not use any of the courier companies like FedEx and UPS etc, no guarantee it wont get trapped at customs but the chances are a lot slimmer..remember the charges on import tax/vat also take into consideration the postal or courier charges. I think you may be better off buying in the Eurozone... you should get a deal

P

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭creativedrinker

eskerman wrote: »
    Im told its worth asking the vendor to post the item by normal mail, and not use any of the courier companies like FedEx and UPS etc, no guarantee it wont get trapped at customs but the chances are a lot slimmer..remember the charges on import tax/vat also take into consideration the postal or courier charges. I think you may be better off buying in the Eurozone... you should get a deal

P

the difference in price is 440(that includes shipping) compared to 699 so thats 240 minus the vat/duty thats the one thing that lures me towards it.... i don't kno any one going to the states until spring but want the camera for winter for some snow action :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I bought an item on bodybuilding.com back in July. It was small and only bought it cause they gave me a voucher for voting and it was on special. It was sent by DHL Globalmail.

It still hasn't arrived. Bodybuilding.com say they believe it hasn't cleared customs. DHL say they pass it on to An Post when it enters Ireland so An Post would be the guys to contact. An Post can't track the parcel though.

So is there a contact number for customs to see if they have it?

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭coach22

Hi im hoping someone can help me out here. Ive read the first post but it doesnt really answer my question. Im looking at buying clothes from a website outside the E.U. There is free delivery if you buy 5 items or more. I dont need 5 items but will purchase them if it means i get free delivery! Is there such a thing a as free delivery with Irish customs or will they add on what they believe the delivery cost was and charge V.A.T on this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

coach22 wrote: »
    Hi im hoping someone can help me out here. Ive read the first post but it doesnt really answer my question. Im looking at buying clothes from a website outside the E.U. There is free delivery if you buy 5 items or more. I dont need 5 items but will purchase them if it means i get free delivery! Is there such a thing a as free delivery with Irish customs or will they add on what they believe the delivery cost was and charge V.A.T on this?

Customs have nothing to do with delivery charges. Delivery charges are at the discretion of the seller. Customs sole purpose is too make sure you are paying Duty and VAT on all goods purchased outside the EU. Taking this read the first post again and it will explain what customs could charge you.

Customs have nothing to do with delivery charges.
    But they will/can charge VAT on them (if the combined value of item & post is over the limit).

There is no "free delivery", you can look at it saying the price includes delivery. Your invoice inside will not have a value on it so you won't be charged. Loads of stuff from the likes of play or cdwow has "free delivery" but you never hear of people having it estimated by anpost -they understand its included.

I know in the past mymemory used to have "free delivery" to ireland, but if an item was £22 they would list £20 on the outside and a shipping cost of £2 and £20 on the full invoice inside. This was probably to help their items get past customs into EU countries. Companies claiming to give "free delivery" are really not doing themselves or customers any favours.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Quick question, I think a game I ordered off the hut might be in customs, they deliver from guernsey island btw. But if so, how do I know its in customs? Do I get a letter in the post stating so, a call from them? Or is it up to me to find out?

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭settings

I bought a blender in the US a few months ago and happily paid customs tax when it arrived.
    However the jar broke and the company I bought it off sent me out another since it was under warranty.
    I got a call today saying I have to pay 33 euros (customs fees im not 100% what she said) I agreed thinking they must of been right but now that I think about it should i have to pay considering it was under warranty?
    thank you

I bought an item on bodybuilding.com back in July. It was small and only bought it cause they gave me a voucher for voting and it was on special.
    I have read in the fitness forum of customs holding lots of stuff from that site. They were seemingly sending lots of stuff here which was illegal, supplements etc.
    Tinie wrote: »
    Quick question, I think a game I ordered off the hut might be in customs, they deliver from guernsey island btw. But if so, how do I know its in customs? Do I get a letter in the post stating so, a call from them?
    Usually you get a letter, did you get confirmation it was sent?
    settings wrote: »
    I got a call today saying I have to pay 33 euros (customs fees im not 100% what she said) I agreed thinking they must of been right but now that I think about it should i have to pay considering it was under warranty?
    thank you
    You should ring them and tell them this, you should not have to pay. The sender should have market them properly

http://www.revenue.ie/en/customs/leaflets/pn1438.html
    4. Treatment Abroad

As a general rule, goods do not qualify for duty-free re-importation if they have been subjected to treatment abroad. However, goods, which have received treatment, deemed necessary to keep them in good condition, or which have received handling which altered their appearance only, can qualify. In addition, goods after exportation found to be defective or unsuitable for their intended use and were treated while abroad can also qualify for relief, provided:

that the treatment was applied solely to repair them or to restore them to good condition; or
    that their unsuitability for their intended use became apparent only after such treatment had commenced.

Where the value of the goods at exportation is increased by the treatment or handling while abroad, Duty is payable on re-importation in accordance with the provisions relating to Outward Processing. However, where it is shown to the satisfaction of Customs that such treatment became necessary due to unforeseen circumstances abroad, relief will be allowed, provided the treatment did not exceed that which was strictly necessary to enable the goods to be continued to be used in the same way as at the time of export even if this treatment resulted in an increase in the value of the goods.

5. Procedure at Re-Importation

Where goods are forwarded to him/her by post, the importer needs to ensure that the declaration on the parcel is endorsed:

“Returned Goods: Exemption from import charges claimed”.

The documentary evidence referred to at paragraph 6 should be attached to the outside of the parcel and marked ‘Customs Documents’.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭flutered

i have a package stuck in revenue.ie, i was asked to supply the paypal recipt, i did, i have been asked to supply an itemised recipt which i do not have, i bought the used items for a fixed price which included shipping, what next will be required from me, thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 flaviu

So i bought something from Hong Kong worth 100 euro+25 on FedEx shipping. Fedex delivery guy didn't say anything about taxes? Am I to expect an invoice? How does this work? Do they ever skip this process if it's not a large sum? Does An Post ever do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

flutered wrote: »
    i have a package stuck in revenue.ie, i was asked to supply the paypal recipt, i did, i have been asked to supply an itemised recipt which i do not have, i bought the used items for a fixed price which included shipping, what next will be required from me, thanks in advance.

Ive had the same issue with customs before looking for additional reciepts instead of paypal. Credit card invoice usually sorts it out if you can show them that

• Registered Users Posts: 22 offalygirl08

Hi,

I bought items from an American website which were delivered to me without any issue. 2/3 weeks later I received an invoice from FedEx with no cover letter, a Bank Giro at the bottom and another sheet badly printed with some calculations on it and a flyer relating to UK Customs / Duty. I called the number which diverted me to FedEx IN UK. Woman explained that I needed to pay the duty on the goods. I explained that I was living in Ireland and when I receive information relating to Ireland not the UK and an explanation as to what I am paying I will pay then.

I have received another short letter again no explanation, just pay up or it will be taken further.

My question is
    1. Why should I pay FedEx surely I should pay the Irish Government not a company in the UK

2. Should I just pay without a full explanation?

3. They appear to have done their calculations based n shipping charge also, from what I work out - as there was no cover letter or explanation. Surely, if I was to pay anything it would be on the cost of the goods!

4. Should I just hold out and see what happens? The amount is around €20

• Advertisement

Read the first post, all your questions have been answered multiple times.

Advertisement