Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Turkey

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 anewell4

I'd been smoking for a good 5 years , and decided that the 12th of May sounded like a good day to go of the fags. First two weeks I nearly had to lock myself into my room it was terrible but after those two weeks I couldn't of felt any better in myself..two years on and not once have I so much a put a fag into my mouth let alone look at one. Best thing I have ever done. Keep up the good work :) !!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 TonyHolland

Congratulations on all who are abstaining:)

Longest ever without rollies in 8 years is probably around 70 or so hours.

Haven't had a smoke yet today, got a fierce stabbing pain in my right lung a while back, but not too bad after that.

This is my first time being mentally prepared for cessation. I'm gonna run rings around the country side in the coming days, just to distract myself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭mg1

my self and my husband quit cold turkey about a year and a half ago, first week v hard, first month hard, three months gets better, everything good comes with a struggle. i found this helped, when i get a real bad craving i would get into shower for two reasons, first u just cant smoke in it wheather u want to or not so it isnt even remotely associated to smoking and second i used to imagine a smoky version of my self being washed down the plug and it made me feel better (its all in the head i tell ya) keep pluggin on, its worth it in the end for ur own benifit and those around u!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭mg1

it gets better, i promise!:)
    3 weeks for me and still getting very bad cravings, when will they stop? I thought it would be easier every day and it seems its getting harder instead:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭EverEvolving

3 weeks for me and still getting very bad cravings, when will they stop? I thought it would be easier every day and it seems its getting harder instead:(

Bet it's easier now? I found the 3 week stage tough also, but from 4 weeks and onwards it got easier. It's still not easy peasy but the desire to kill has gone :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

I smoked since I was 13, biggest regret. It just kills me to think of the money I've spent on them over the years (not to mention health issues).

I just gave up there in June. I have given up twice before, once a few years ago for 8 months and also was off the from Jan to April this year.

I spent to be able to give them up cold turkey well enough. The firstcouple of weeks pretty much hell but than it gets somewhat easier.

This is the time it starts to get really hard IMO as Ithink Ican handel the odd smokem on a night out and than before I know it I smoking again.

I starting the C25k programme this time though as I'm hoping that if I see the benifits (as in actually having the lung capacity to run) than I may stay off this time.

For once I have to say I'm actually happy with VAT increases and for becoming unemployed as I honestly think just not having the money to smoke is the main reason for giving them up. I've always known the health risks but this is the first time I juat cannot justify the exspense.

My tip so far is when you feel like your gonna give in, look at exactly what it is that is making you want one and than honestly deciede if it is worth to have a smoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 TonyHolland

Off em nearly a week now. Went out on the town over the weekend, then house party and still didn't smoke, so I'm delighted with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭chakademus

Hey everyone, I am currently on day 2 of cold turkey. I have smoked since I was 16, I am 30 now. Tonight has been terrible. I feel like crying my eyes out but I find deep breaths and drinking lots of water helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Magicmatilda

A little over 2 months off them now. Don't really think about them too much anymore, the odd time if i'm watching TV and see someone smoking but it doesn't last long. For me the big thing was accepting I couldn't have "just 1". Anytime I did I would be back on them. So this time round I have accepted that. I've lost 5.5 pounds and I can now run for 25 minutes so I am absolutely chuffed. Best of luck to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Rochie IRL

Cold Turkey is the best way.
    I will be 3 years without smoking on 29th September. I was almost smoking 40 a day.
    Woke up one morning and knew that I'd had enough. Convience yourself that you no longer want to smoke and don't want to have little sticks of crap ruling your life. That's what they do with the fear of when you will have another one, keeps you hooked. YOU DON'T NEED ANOTHER ONE.
    It's all routine and breaking the cycle of smoking. I painted a room in my house last year and wanted to smoke, it was the first craving in a year and a half the trigger was painting because the last time I'd painted I was smoking while doing it and my brain hadn't forgotten that. I haven't had a craving since and even that one was harmless.

Keep going guys it does get easier. Look forward to the day when you don't think of smoking from the moment you wake until you fall asleep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭tkavan

Rochie IRL wrote: »
    Cold Turkey is the best way.
    I will be 3 years without smoking on 29th September. I was almost smoking 40 a day.
    Woke up one morning and knew that I'd had enough. Convience yourself that you no longer want to smoke and don't want to have little sticks of crap ruling your life. That's what they do with the fear of when you will have another one, keeps you hooked. YOU DON'T NEED ANOTHER ONE.
    It's all routine and breaking the cycle of smoking. I painted a room in my house last year and wanted to smoke, it was the first craving in a year and a half the trigger was painting because the last time I'd painted I was smoking while doing it and my brain hadn't forgotten that. I haven't had a craving since and even that one was harmless.

Keep going guys it does get easier. Look forward to the day when you don't think of smoking from the moment you wake until you fall asleep.

We do think of smoking and do smoke but a different kind of smoke, but hey Thanks anyway + well done to you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jamieshima

Hey guys,

I smoked my last cigarette on August 16, so almost one week. It hasn't been too bad. For the first couple of days, I spent hours watching anti-smoking ads on youtube, the real graphic/gnarly ones. That gave the complete resolve to quit forever.

Congrats to all of you who have given up this nasty, deadly, cruel nicotine addiction.

Advertisement