Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Turkey

Options
  • 23-03-2010 6:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭

Decided to give up at Sunday Evening, tried patches and pills and all sorts before but to no avail.

This time i'm just goin Cold Turkey, have absolutely nothing apart from Will Power, in work at moment and it's now been around 30hrs :D

Anybody else tried the cold turkey method and no help apart from WP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Blaalarry

Right my man! Ain't been on boards for a while and the first post I see is yours. It's been driving me nuts for weeks now,(stoppin smokin that is). Every morning theres 2 or 3 fags in the box and I'm off again...
    Theres a site I found , www.whyQuit.com and it's brilliant!! Crammed with info and pics that will make you sick, but thats what smokin does to you.

Cold turkey is the only way. All these patches and gums and stuff are invented by pharmacutical companies for gain-and what are they made of --NICOTINE!! The very thing you're trying to give up!!

On why Quit you've got to be 72 hours clean to join. But you can browse and it will inspire. Your half way there nearly. An hour at a time works for me..

Good luck and I'll be keepin' an eye out for ya!!

bryanandson.jpgTHe next picture of this guy I post was taken 66 days after this one. He was a smoker.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

I read about that poor man! The speed at which the cancer attacked him was shocking.

Like Blaalarry said, take one hour at a time for the moment, that will soon turn into taking one day at a time. The cravings become less and less and the obsession with smoking or not smoking diminishes.

It's really hard at first, but it is the best thing you will ever do.

I substituted smoking with running! A month after I quit I began the Couch 2 5k program Another poster on here had recommended it. I'm now addicted to running and barely think of smoking. My life has turned around in less than 3 months. If somebody had told me that that would be possible three months ago, it might have made the first few weeks easier. But I guess the pain of the first few weeks will hopefully always remind me not to start smoking again.

Remain positive. You can do this. Talk about how you feel on here. People are really supportive and understand what you are going through!

Good luck today...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Well done OP, it's the best decision you will ever make. I attribute www.whyquit.com to keeping me off them. Am nearly 9 months smoke-free now and any time I had a weak moment in those first few months, the site reaffirmed exactly why I quit in the first place. Keep at it and post here any time you are having a weak moment, you will find lots of support!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Nearly 48hrs now :D:D

Started a 12hr night shift at 7pm tonight, hardest part was driving into work, normally i'll have a smoke or 2 on the way.

Just taking it hour by hour at the moment, in a few more days i'll take it day by day

Thanks for the link to whyquit.com, that sure is giving me some motivation

• Advertisement

good man Scudzilla. I'm on night shift too, we could be in the same game.

72 hours qualifies you to join Whyquit.com so if you can spend as much time as you can absorbing all you can from that site. It makes an awful lot of sense. Yuor urges will now begin to diminish.

At this moment your body is completely free of any nicotine. you'd be some F.I. to smoke now....:)

Blaalarry wrote: »
    good man Scudzilla. I'm on night shift too, we could be in the same game.

72 hours qualifies you to join Whyquit.com so if you can spend as much time as you can absorbing all you can from that site. It makes an awful lot of sense. Yuor urges will now begin to diminish.

At this moment your body is completely free of any nicotine. you'd be some F.I. to smoke now....:)

Maybe, what you you doing?

75Hours now :D:D Had a few cravings tonight but nowhere near as bad as last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

My wife and I both quit last Friday. We had previously tried everything else but are trying cold turkey again, you have to stop at some point, so it might as well be @ the start.

The first few days were difficult as expected, but the teeth grinding undirected rage has gone now.

For about a month beforehand I started early morning swims so I could calibrate any improving fitness, perhaps the previous month's swimming took effect all at once but my recovery time has improved enormously over this week.

Only physical issue I have been having is acid reflux / indigestion (developing a Rennie habit as an alternative ;) ) is this common?

Mentally I'm doing OK now, but I work in IT and so lack of concentration was a bit awkward @ the start of the week.

Best of luck to all

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

Hey OP, I am off cigarettes 2 years and a half years after going cold turkey. When at work, I substituted my cigarette breaks with coffee & apples, so had a bit of a caffeine addiction going on for a while. I think it was my stubbornness to give up that got me through though - I had a friend bet me £100 that I wouldn't last 3 months - that was a very nice night out I treated us to - It was a matter of pride that I won it!

Day 5 and all's going well :D, cravings are getting fewer and less, errrrr, whats the word....craving???

Would recommend this Cold Turkey to anyone, whats the point in spending loads on patches, pills and potions when it's mainly willpower.

I've taken some help from a guy i know, not that he knows, he's a real dope and has given up, if he can do it then so can i

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

www.whyquit.com is an excellent website im going cold turkey since friday evening when i took my last smoke so far so good but im off college for 2 weeks holidays and i know once i go back it will be the real decider as i always smoked in college when stressed and as a boredom/social killer fingers crossed i can get over that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Keep it up scudzilla. I'm a cold turkey quitter too. 3 months this Thursday. You're almost correct - it's not mainly willpower - it's all willpower. Every day I walk into Connolly Station in Dublin and there's an NiQuitIn ad on the giant tv and at the bottom ... "requires willpower". I really believe the gums, patches etc (esp. inhalers) are a crutch that just delay the inevitable.
    72 hours qualifies you to join xxxxxxxx

I've no time for that site that you're pimping. When I quit I spent time reading sites, looking at motivational blogs, posting here on my quitlog and reading others confessions on this forum. But only that site completely pissed me off. "any nicotine relapse - even one puff, dip or chew - permanently revokes posting privileges." -- screw you them and their 'sin once and be damned forever' mentality. I'd much rather contribute to a site that will offer support, that will allow you to admit to screwing up - as I did - and support you and help you get back on that horse. Instead that quasi-religious site will ban you permanently for one slip. Good luck with that. Morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 LadyJedi

Day 4 cold turkey, not too bad, the first night was the worst, the withdrawls were horrendous, but feeling much saner then was expecting

Keep going everyone....isn't it wonderful waking up every morning knowing that you didn't smoke the day before? I love the fact that my hair doesn't smell of smoke anymore and I can wear my clothes more times, so less washing!!! :D

been a week and 1 day now since i quit so far so good im feeling great about giving them up feel so much better in my self and definately dont miss the smell of stale fags on my clothes last wednesday/thursday i had huge cravings though and again yesterday but i feel there becoming less and less

deaglan169 wrote: »
    been a week and 1 day now since i quit so far so good im feeling great about giving them up feel so much better in my self and definately dont miss the smell of stale fags on my clothes last wednesday/thursday i had huge cravings though and again yesterday but i feel there becoming less and less

Thats brilliant deaglan! You should be really proud of getting this far. A whole week is fantastic. You will still get cravings but less and less.

I posted it on another thread but I bought myself an iphone the other day with the money I've saved from not smoking for three months!!!!

To be honest I rarely think about smoking anymore but I would have used any excuse to get that iphone! :D

Last night I had a little craving ( the first in about three weeks). I was watching the Godfather and drinking red wine....a cigarette would have been nice! It lasted all of 10 secs if even and I never thought about it again.

I found the first 6 weeks very hard....but I got there in the end. Keep going. It's so worth it!

thanks dolliemix im not looking forward to going back to college as smoking was my escape from a crappy class or stressful lecture also i havent been out since ive quit and most of my friends smoke but im determined to give up and like that im gonna treat myself in a while for staying off them:D

2 weeks today for me, not given in once :D:D

deaglan169 wrote: »
    thanks dolliemix im not looking forward to going back to college as smoking was my escape from a crappy class or stressful lecture also i havent been out since ive quit and most of my friends smoke but im determined to give up and like that im gonna treat myself in a while for staying off them:D

Thats going to be really hard! Just try and work out when your weakest moments are and then just be aware that you have to be really really strong on those occasions. The first few times I went out drinking socially actually weren't as bad as I anticipated, once I got home smoke free! :D. I was dreading them though beforehand. I was stressed at the thought of even going out and I was sure that there was no way I would get through a night without them. Yes they were hard, but it's just little moments here and there that you have to really fight and convince yourself that it's better if you don't give in. Those moments get less and less. For the first 6 weeks I was waking up, nearly having to pinch myself, because I couldn't believe I'd managed another day/night without cigarettes. Its such a sense of silent achievement when you realise you actually didn't give into temptation on yet another occasion. Then, suddenly, you realise ...'hey I haven't craved a cigarette in a while...it's true what they say....it does get easier!'

Good luck! Keep us posted on how you're getting on!
    scudzilla wrote: »

Yes! Well done....I had a good laugh at your post earlier about the guy you know, who's a real dope, who's given it up....who's your motivation! :D:D:D

When I was learning to drive, my dad said to me, look at (mrs. nosy neighbour from up the road), if that eejit can drive then so can you!! I got my driving test first time within 8 months...

I'm just back from a weeks holidays. Glad to see you're a NON-SMOKER now!!:D

• Advertisement

5 WEEKS TOMORROW :D:D:D

Getting easier and easier by the day

So many friends can't believe that i just woke up one morning and decided to stop, no planning, pills or potions, just pure will power and cold turkey

7 weeks today and not had 1 ciggy :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭619C

7 weeks today and not had 1 ciggy :D:D:D

Well done - keep it up
    I wish I was that far ahead - cant wait to be a month off them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 ceduffy

5 weeks off them now its great keep it going it will be worth it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭CokaColumbo

bryanandson.jpgTHe next picture of this guy I post was taken 66 days after this one. He was a smoker.

Where is the second photo?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

http://whyquit.com/whyquit/BryanLeeCurtis.html

bryanandson.jpg
    66 days later
    bed.jpg

'Bryan knew how hard it is to quit. But when he learned he would die because of his habit, he thought maybe he could persuade at least a few kids not to pick up that first cigarette. Maybe if they could see his sunken cheeks, how hard it was becoming to breathe, his shriveled body, it might scare them enough. '

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭CokaColumbo

Holy Jesus that is very disturbing. Two packs a day since he was thirteen and he dies at the age of thirty-four. What a waste of human life. Cheers for the link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭belle2e

I quit cold turkey,off them 3 weeks.sometimes i get bad craving but i go for a cycle or read anything to take my mind off the short craving.
    I always say to myself not smoking wont kill me.smoking will.
    What i find brilliant is cranberry juice iv drunk alot of it the pass 21 days and even got hives probably from all the acid in the juice,but i would prefer hives then heart disease or cancer.I feel alot happier in myself now as smoking is a depressant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭El Inho

i quit back in may. im a student and quit the week before exams...thats the library and red bull...two of my biggest triggers. and i did it....

i was tee total, but being honest, fell off the wagon once or twice...i'd say ive smoked around 30...just from being our drinking and having one or two...

but still...a lot less than i used to smoke and im moving in the right direction.

congrats to everyone on here kickin the habit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 spaniard_dub

3 weeks for me and still getting very bad cravings, when will they stop? I thought it would be easier every day and it seems its getting harder instead:(

Advertisement