Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭JOHNFRANCE

Hello! Got cleaned out today (credit cards, driving licence and, worst of all, my passport).

Living in France and need to get back to Ireland for the 19th of November - godfather to my first niece! Flight is on the 18th. Any ideas? :)

And if it seems to tight a squeeze, is there any 'get-out'? A temporary passport in case of emergency, etc? Been in contact with the Embassy in Paris, waiting for them to send out the documentation and ready to send it off tomorrow or Saturday. Fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

We applied for replacement passports via the post office about two weeks ago. When I was handing in the forms the person behind the counter said we needed to submit the originals, but I was sure I had seen that you now only needed to submit a copy of the picture page of the old one.

I went ahead and submitted the copies. I got a call from the office the other day saying I needed to send in the orignals for cancelling. I know the guy knows his own job, but I said I was sure the documentation said you only needed to send in a copy. He said that was during the summer when they were backlogged. In fairness he went ahead and issued the passports and asked me to send the old ones in by freepost.

It all seems a little arbitrary.

z

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

No. Previous passports must be submitted for cancellation. There was a concession during the summer backlog but even then you had to send them back afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Lyanna

I know I'm repeating a question that's already been asked but there's a fair bit of conflicting information is this thread and aerlingus.com isn't totally clear either. I've currently mislaid my passport (it was accidently packed into one of a gazillion boxes and put into storage while the house was being done up) and I'm going to Scotland in a week's time. I have an age card, a student card and a student travel card. Will any of those work as ID? I'd have thought the age card qualified as a "Government issued photo ID card" but apparently it's not technically ID.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

According to here - http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=254 - this is the requirement - "Photocopy the photograph page of any existing passport being renewed, include with the application form and retain the existing passport"

I accept that this may be out of date, but a) how does Joe Punter know it's out of date, and b) their instructions are all over the place in different locations, so how does Joe Punter know which is the definitive version ?

It's reasonable to assume that the form you pick up in the Garda station is current, but as we know now it's out of date (2 photos vs 4 photos, etc . . .).

It seems the correct set of steps is -
    1) go to Garda station and pick up form
    1.1) discard the instructions
    2) go to website and read latest instructions
    2.1) discard instruction about sending in copy of passport
    3) send in everything you have got and hope for the best

z

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

http://www.aerlingus.com/travelinformation/knowbeforeyoufly/visaspassports/#d.en.4568

Seems clear enough:
    Travel between Ireland and the UK or UK Domestic travel
    Citizens of Ireland and the UK must carry some form of official photo identification. The following forms of photo identification are acceptable:

Valid Passport
    Driver's licence with photo
    International student card
    National ID card / Government issued photo ID cards
    Health Insurance cards with photo / Social security cards with photo
    Bus pass with photo
    Work ID with photo

Not really, no. It seems logical to me that if a bus pass with photo is acceptable then a student travel card would be too - they contain the same information. Same goes for International student card (which is a specific card) as against a student card. And I'd definitely have thought the age card would be fine since it contains more information than most of the forms of ID which are definitely accepted, but apparently isn't a form of ID. Still, none of these things are specified as being acceptable and I'd really like to be sure prior to going to the airport. I did ring the Aer Lingus helpline but it kept referring me to the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Apanachi

I've had my passport stolen just over 9 years ago, got in replaced and all was well up until now...

..now I can't, for the life of me, find my current passport, I searched the house from top to bottom (I know it MUST be there, but is in hiding somewhere), so anyway, as I was worried I wouldn't find it on time I applied for a new one, went to the Irish Embassy in Berlin to report it lost and get the forms.

I read that if you lose two passports in the space of 10 years, they can limit your new passport to 2 years. I asked the lady in the Embassy about this and she said while she couldn't tell me if this will apply to my new passport as the passport Office in Dublin decides, it is quite possible that I will still get a 10 year passport as over 9 years have passed between the theft and the loss.

Does anyone have any experience in such a situation and can tell me how high are the chances I get a 10 year passport instead of a two year one? Or does that all depend on the mood the person who processes it just happens to be in?

Having said that, I'll be glad to at least get any kind of valid passport before my holidays over Christmas, but it would be nice to know what my chances are.

Also if my passport doesn't arrive in time, she said they would issue me with a temporary passport for my trip home, I forgot to ask her how much this would cost me if I need it, does anyone know the cost? And will I really get a temporary after losing my second passport (even if the first time wasn't really my fault)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

You've got enought time to get a photo ID from Irish Rail/Dublin Bus or RPA so why not apply if you're worried?

I will do that if I don't get a straight answer here. I figured it was worth asking the question in the hope that someone out there could tell me that they used one of those to travel, though.

• Advertisement

Lyanna wrote: »
    I will do that if I don't get a straight answer here. I figured it was worth asking the question in the hope that someone out there could tell me that they used one of those to travel, though.

The way their site is worded would indicate to me that Aer Lingus aren't particularly bothered what I.D. you have it doesn't state we insist on xyz, it states if you want to travel between these 2 states these are examples of ID you need.

It's the opposite of Ryanair who insist on Passports even though neither Government does.

I personally think you would be fine with the ID you have, I don't think Aer Lingus will prevent you from travelling. If it were me though, I'd get the bus/rail ID anyway to be certain.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭netopia

zagmund wrote: »
    We applied for replacement passports via the post office about two weeks ago. When I was handing in the forms the person behind the counter said we needed to submit the originals, but I was sure I had seen that you now only needed to submit a copy of the picture page of the old one.

I went ahead and submitted the copies. I got a call from the office the other day saying I needed to send in the orignals for cancelling. I know the guy knows his own job, but I said I was sure the documentation said you only needed to send in a copy. He said that was during the summer when they were backlogged. In fairness he went ahead and issued the passports and asked me to send the old ones in by freepost.

It all seems a little arbitrary.

z

Zagmund - you can only submit a photocopy of your previous passport if your old one is still in date, this is to facilitate you if you have to travel urgently (e.g. death or sickness of a relative abroad) while your application is being processed. However if your passport is out of date you won't be able to travel on it anyway and it should always be sent in with your renewal application.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭Former Great

Hi, Im in urgent need of a passport for end of next week. I looked into express passport and its takes 10 working days which is too long for me. What do i do now? TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Croc

Hi, Im in urgent need of a passport for end of next week. I looked into express passport and its takes 10 working days which is too long for me. What do i do now? TIA

Provided you can show proof of travel the passport office will Issue you with one.

Just get your forms etc and go to your nearest Passport Office

Croc wrote: »
    Provided you can show proof of travel the passport office will Issue you with one.

Cheers Croc , is proof of travel a must ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,169 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=254#person
    A Priority System is available for processing passport applications for those with immediate travel plans, for applications submitted at the Passport Office public counter. Passport applications should be submitted with proof of immediate travel plans. An additional fee may apply. The Passport Office will make every effort to make a passport available to the applicant before their intended travel.

FEES
    http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=259
    Standard Passport for a person aged 18 years or over submitted over the counter at the Passport Office Dublin or Passport Office Cork €95.00

Payable, upon proof of urgent travel, for passports required to be issued within five days following application. This fee is in addition to the appropriate passport fee as set out above. €55 -Adult

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭giddybootz

Hi guys,

My passport expires in the middle of March 2012. Im going to be doing a lot of flying between the UK and Dublin between the end of November and January and my mam just told me that if it is within 6 months of expiry your passport is useless.

I checked www.passport.ie and it said this
    Q. Do I need six months validity on my passport for overseas travel?

A. An Irish passport holder does not need six months validity on their passport for entry to the United States of America. Irish citizens travelling to destinations outside the EU are subject to the specific passport controls and requirements of those countries. This means a minimum passport validity may be required for entry into individual countries. The exact requirements vary from one country to another so it is advisable to contact the embassy of the relevant country before making arrangements to travel.

All EU citizens have the right to enter and live in the territory of another member state of the EU for up to three months. A valid passport with no minimum validity is required.

The United States has an agreement with some countries (including Ireland) that allows you to enter on a current passport up to the actual date of expiration. An Irish passport need remain valid only for the duration of the holder's stay in the United States.

However....I'm flying Ryanair and they sometimes have different rules. Does anyone know if I need to renew my passport now or will I be ok to travel?

Cheers,
    Ruth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

giddybootz wrote: »
    Hi guys,

My passport expires in the middle of March 2012. Im going to be doing a lot of flying between the UK and Dublin between the end of November and January and my mam just told me that if it is within 6 months of expiry your passport is useless.

I checked www.passport.ie and it said this
    Q. Do I need six months validity on my passport for overseas travel?

A. An Irish passport holder does not need six months validity on their passport for entry to the United States of America. Irish citizens travelling to destinations outside the EU are subject to the specific passport controls and requirements of those countries. This means a minimum passport validity may be required for entry into individual countries. The exact requirements vary from one country to another so it is advisable to contact the embassy of the relevant country before making arrangements to travel.

All EU citizens have the right to enter and live in the territory of another member state of the EU for up to three months. A valid passport with no minimum validity is required.

The United States has an agreement with some countries (including Ireland) that allows you to enter on a current passport up to the actual date of expiration. An Irish passport need remain valid only for the duration of the holder's stay in the United States.

However....I'm flying Ryanair and they sometimes have different rules. Does anyone know if I need to renew my passport now or will I be ok to travel?

Cheers,
    Ruth

Once your pp is in date you are fine

People have this 6 months thing in their head,it only comes into play for some countries that require a visa.

Croc wrote: »

Hi again lads . Goin up tomorrow , will they give me the passport tomorrow , ive been told by a couple of lads i might have to wait a couple of days .
    Iv read this on the passport offices site ''A Priority System is available for processing passport applications for those with immediate travel plans, for applications submitted at the Passport Office public counter. Passport applications should be submitted with proof of immediate travel plans. An additional fee may apply. The Passport Office will make every effort to make a passport available to the applicant before their intended travel''
    I guess i will not get it straight away from reading this.
    Also anyone know if the passport office will be busy , seen as its november im hoping not , but i intend been there for 9 o clock .. The office opens at 9.30

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 4 UtdWeStand

Hi everyone, im renewing my passport tomorrow in Dublins passport office. Just wondering do i need to bring anything other than my filled out renewal form and photos.. Cant find my birth cert , is this needed?

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SAINTRON

There is a checklist of required info/evidence with the form. Go through it to satisfy yourself that you have everything. I seem to recall that a Gardai sig is required to confirm identity. Nice cafe across the road if you get there too early....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭trishasaffron

Hoping to get in to the Passport office tomorrow. Does anyone know what is the best time of the day to avoid queues?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Harry Enfield

An aunt of mine has died in France and im in urgent need of a passport . Iv heard of an emergency passport , dont know anything about them . I need a passport by saturday . Will it be possible to get one. Iv never had a passport either , will this affect things? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

the passport office should be able to provide it same day if you call into them with proof of id (not sure exactly what you need, but bring whatever you have) and proof that it is an emergency (evidence of some sort to confirm the death of your aunt).

you can get more info and contact details for the passport offices here www.passport.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭atlantean

I am booked on a flight at 06:30 on Friday. Having just realised Ryanair no longer accept a drivers license as ID to fly to the UK I went looking for my passport. Having not used it in 3 years and don't recall seeing it in that time I have turned the house upside down looking for it but to no avail!

I have managed to find my previous passport, my long birth cert and even a scan of my current passport — what are the chances if I go to Molesworth Street with all this and my travel itinerary that they would be able to issue me with a new passport? I know I need photos and I reckon a form from the guards as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

Approximately 0%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

I know people who have gotten a passport in a day (honeymoon, passport when missing in the chaos).

For a cheap flight to the UK? Not sure.

Get down there, pucker up and be prepared to kiss some ass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Just a quick question.

Had to get an emergency passport in July for my holidays. Doesn't expire until February 2012. I'm going to England in December. Can I use my emergency passport or do I need to go get a new full one? Flying with Ryanair if that helps.

Thanks

• Advertisement

Why would you need a new one? It's valid in December so it's valid, end of.

Surprised your emergency passport only lasts a few months, was that the expiry date of your original passport?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement