Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

I am in the process of renewing my passport. I was informed by a garda in Pearse St Station that I have to include a copy of my birth cert with my application. I was under the impression that all the passport office needed were the 4 photos, a copy of the picture page of my current passport, the application form and the fee.

Can someone please clarify this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

marwelie wrote: »
    I am in the process of renewing my passport. I was informed by a garda in Pearse St Station that I have to include a copy of my birth cert with my application. I was under the impression that all the passport office needed were the 4 photos, a copy of the picture page of my current passport, the application form and the fee.

Can someone please clarify this?

No LBC required.

Here is a rule when it comes to passports, whatever the garda says do the oppisite:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

Thanks Elvis

• Registered Users Posts: 8,510 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Cork don't have anything near the volume of the 2 offices in Dublin thus the speed with their applications.

I only said Cork were good to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ClaireTDI

Hey everyone,

I am also wondering if ye could give me your opinions on If you think I'll get my passport in time for a holiday.

• Sent via Passport Express: 29/04/2011
    • Received and registered in Dublin: 04/05/2011
    • Flying out on: 26/05/2011 11am

That gives them 15 working days in total and its not a first time passport its a renewal.

On the DFA website this notice is posted -
    Notice: w.e.f. 18 April 2011. Please note that due to a temporary surge in application numbers, the current processing time for Passport Express applications is 11-13 Days up until and including 17 May 2011
    Does this mean that the process should speed up after the 17th?

Any thoughts or advice will be greatly appreciated!

Also on a less important note:
    As of the 11th of April 2011, the price for Standard Passport for a person aged 18 years or over through Passport Express was reduced to 80euro compared to the previous 88.50.
    http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=259

I did not know this and paid the old price as I was given the old application form. I have a receipt from the Post Office. Does anybody know how I go about gettin my 8.50 I paid for this 'Express' service? :D

Thanks,
    Claire.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 zednanrefnomar

ClaireTDI wrote: »
    As of the 11th of April 2011, the price for Standard Passport for a person aged 18 years or over through Passport Express was reduced to 80euro compared to the previous 88.50.
    I did not know this and paid the old price as I was given the old application form. I have a receipt from the Post Office. Does anybody know how I go about gettin my 8.50 I paid for this 'Express' service? :D

You still have to pay the An Post Fee

"Fees for Passport Express [Only in Ireland and UK]

Fees for applications made through the Passport Express Service should be paid to the Post Office in question. There is an additional processing fee for this service. Please see the An Post website for these fees.
    £6.00
    Per application in UK Post Office branches in Northern Ireland and Great Britain

If applying by Passport Express you pay the combined passport fee and the Post Office processing fee at the Post Office. [The application form includes a section [section 1] where debit/credit card details may be entered. This does not apply to applications sent by Passport Express and should not be completed in such cases]."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 chrome-metronom

Hi,
    the forms have already gone in with passport express, but we are planning a bit of an ad-hoc holiday, and would like to fly off in about 2 weeks. is there anything i can do to speed up the process??

any help appreciated. thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Lunaarli

Okay,

My brother is in London studying. Finishing uni in a week.
    He applied for new passport (renewed) three weeks ago.

Posted from London to Ireland and paid for express postage back.

Anyway he's decided to go to Australia for three months during holidays.
    Problem is, no passport and to apply for a tourist visa in Oz you need your passport no.

He's booked Oz for 19th May and is shi**ing himself he wont get it back.

Is there anything I can do for him, wait in line somewhere call someone?!

Anything.

Please don't tell me he's an eejit and should have been more prepared 'coz what's done is done!!

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Posted from London to Ireland and paid for express postage back.
    Why did you not send it to the embassy in London? Would have been far faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 seandel

On the subject of Passport "Express", I sent my son's application in on April 19, it was received on April 20 and still no movement. That's 14 working days so far, when you take out three bank holidays. No answer to phone or email. Luckily I've got another fortnight before travelling.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 RC10

Hi guys, need some advice. Passport was registered with the passport office on 3rd of May. Due to fly on holidays on the 25th of May. My query is how long does it stay at the first stage for and does it take long to go through the final stages. I was told in the post office that I would have it by the 20th as it would take 13 days with back log from the bank holidays. Im starting to stress a little now though seeing as its still at stage one sfter 9 days and im running out of time. Ive emailed them but got no reply. If its not here by next Friday should i travel to dublin on the Monday and see if i can get it sorted. Where do you phone to tell them not to post it and that Ill collect it.

Thanx guys

Once it moves off registered it goes thru the other steps very quickly i.e. within 24 hours.

You need to get them to send the passport from Balbriggan where it is now to the office in Dublin. You need to get that done first or you will waste a trip into the office. You will need to ring them to arrange that.

Once it moves off registered it goes thru the other steps very quickly i.e. within 24 hours.

You need to get them to send the passport from Balbriggan where it is now to the office in Dublin. You need to get that done first or you will waste a trip into the office. You will need to ring them to arrange that.

I just checked the status now and it says "being checked". Would I be safe enough to jsut let it go another few days, say Wdnesday and see how far along it is. Can it be picked up in Ballbrigan office or does it have to go to the other one. Balbrigan would be handier as I've releation living in skerries or even to travel from donegal myself would be handier than travelling into the city.

Thanks for your reply

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭timewilltell

Hi guys,
    Question..
    I lost my passprt there last week. Travelling to Uganda 30th June. If O go in to the Passort Office will I get processed in 10 days?

Im clearly real organised!

:D

RC10 wrote: »
    I just checked the status now and it says "being checked". Would I be safe enough to jsut let it go another few days, say Wdnesday and see how far along it is. Can it be picked up in Ballbrigan office or does it have to go to the other one. Balbrigan would be handier as I've releation living in skerries or even to travel from donegal myself would be handier than travelling into the city.

Thanks for your reply
    I reckon you will have it by Wednesday. It will move through the rest of the stages on Monday all going well.

Balbriggan is not a public office and only posts out passports by post. That is why I said they need to transfer the passport to Molesworth Street if you wanted to collect it.

Give them till Wednesday.

I reckon you will have it by Wednesday. It will move through the rest of the stages on Monday all going well.

Balbriggan is not a public office and only posts out passports by post. That is why I said they need to transfer the passport to Molesworth Street if you wanted to collect it.

Give them till Wednesday.

Thank you for your help.The stress levels have been lowered for the time being.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Churchy

Just a note for anyone sending "regular" post.

Posted my application 24th March.
    Marked as received 30th March.
    As of 16th May still no passport, 7 weeks since marked received at the office.
    Managed to get through finally on the phones; the person told me there is no guarantee I will have it for my travel date in two weeks.
    Thats a total of ten weeks from day of posting.

Be careful - get the applications in early.

Use passport express or take it in yourself. Regular post is for masochists.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

I've been waiting 8 Weeks for my Passport, I sent it through the standard Postage and stupidly never took down the reference number. I keep getting kicked out of the queue when I ring them and have sent them an email but haven't got a response yet. All I want to know that it isn't lost and in no real hurry for it, is it normal to wait this long for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dublin jewel

Hi, I foolishly did the same thing as you guys, I sent an application for my daughters passport on the 24th March, I never took note of the tracking number and I cannot find out if the passport is lost or registered. I have tried lots of times to ring but keep getting an answering machine. They also have not replied to my emails. Does anyone have an idea how long this will take as she might miss out on a holiday - warning - never send passport through ordinary post and keep note of tracking number. anyone any ideas how to solve this??

• Advertisement

Hi, I foolishly did the same thing as you guys, I sent an application for my daughters passport on the 24th March, I never took note of the tracking number and I cannot find out if the passport is lost or registered. I have tried lots of times to ring but keep getting an answering machine. They also have not replied to my emails. Does anyone have an idea how long this will take as she might miss out on a holiday - warning - never send passport through ordinary post and keep note of tracking number. anyone any ideas how to solve this??

As per my above post I'm in the same boat.
    Emails ignored.
    Kept getting the phone message to call back later. My first attempt on the phone this morning at around 9.15 am got into the queue and held for 15 mins for an operator.
    They can search your application by Date of birth.

I have written last week to their Customer Services Manager to let them know of the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭cyberspider

Hi guys,
    Question..
    I lost my passprt there last week. Travelling to Uganda 30th June. If O go in to the Passort Office will I get processed in 10 days?

Im clearly real organised!

:D

timewilltell,

It will certainly take longer than 10 days if you call in as you dont need to travel until the 30th June so they will not process it as an urgent case. You are probably better doing it through passport express. Just make sure you have all the documentation (long Birth cert and Garda stamp that it is lost).

I had a similar but more complex issue last year as I lost my passport and was applying for a second business passport. I went in person to the Passport office and explained the situation, giving them a number of flight confirmations. I had 2-3 phone calls with them and it took about 10-15 days to process and received it teh morning I was flying out. I spend a day off work arranging the documentation and queuing in the passport office to drop off and another two hours to pick up.

They did tell me I could have submitted everything through the passport express and it would have been faster, which is what I should have done.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

Hi- I'm sure this has been covered but there are so many pages to go through, I couldn't find a recent answer. Myself and my daughters fly out on August 1st. they are currently on their fathers' passport. I've to apply for their own passports. Is it still possible to go to the Dublin office, queue up and get it all done in one day? The kids birthcerts are slightly messy as in there is no surname on one!! Would it be time enough to go via passport express? Also do you have a choice as to which office the applications go to? Sorry if this has been covered before and thanks..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Kangoo Man

Sent my application by passport express on 26/04 and it was received on 27/04 according to passport tracking, as of tonight 16/05 it hasn't moved, that's 13 working days.

Starting to worry I won't receive it in time for the 20th!

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭undo

fly out on August 1st. [...] Is it still possible to go to the Dublin office, queue up and get it all done in one day?

You have two and a half months until your flight. There is no reason why this should be treated as an extreme emergency and handled in one day. You should use Passport Express. Even if it takes double the promised 10 business day, you will have the passports back with months to spare.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Mate of mine is flying out on Sunday and still hasnt received her passport back. Sent it in April. She is now gone into the office today to try and get it.

My question to her and others is why why why do you not check your passport expiry dates before booking a holiday?????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭IK09

Kangoo Man wrote: »
    Sent my application by passport express on 26/04 and it was received on 27/04 according to passport tracking, as of tonight 16/05 it hasn't moved, that's 13 working days.

Starting to worry I won't receive it in time for the 20th!

I had the same trouble. Sent it via passport express on the 15/4, recieved on the 18/4. Stayed at status 1 until I got a letter saying i didnt include proof of address. Sent proof in envelope supplied, recieved passport 3days later. because of my mistake, passport express was invalid

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭undo

Dovies wrote: »
    My question to her and others is why why why do you not check your passport expiry dates before booking a holiday?????

One major issue seems to be the very common and mistaken belief that you cannot renew your passport early, that it will look strange somehow if you try to get a new one when your old one is still good for half a year. Fact is, you can renew your passport whenever you feel like it. When your passport has less than a year left on it and you know you will not be going anywhere for the next month or two, just renew it then so you have it ready to go for your next trip.

Dovies wrote: »
    Mate of mine is flying out on Sunday and still hasnt received her passport back. Sent it in April. She is now gone into the office today to try and get it.

Some of us do check the dates.
    Passport forms state 4-6 weeks turnaround.
    I sent mine in 10 weeks ahead of travel date and it may not be here in time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭NOIMAGINATION

Hi

My OH applied for a new passport at the beginning of April through the Embassy in London. We have a tracking number, and for the past 6 weeks its been at the 'received and registered' stage. It was received on the 6th April.

We're not flying until the end of June, but he does need to get a new drivers licence in the meantime, and we need the passport to do that. Does anyone know how much longer we can expect to wait? We've been trying to call the office in Dublin today, and will try again tomorrow.

Does anyone have any experience getting a passport from the Dublin office to London. The last time it only took a couple of weeks, and it was the same time of year!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement