Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Trebob

Hi all, I'm sure this has been asked before, I'm due to fly to Liverpool from Dublin with Ryan air is it the case that i must have a passport to fly with them or will a driver's licence be enough?

Thanks in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Trebob

Passport only with Ryanair.

Thanks Fred as suspected :(

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭DerryRed

When I'm applying for a first time passport for my child I can see that I need to submit the original long form birth certificate. Is it sufficient to send in a photocopy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

DerryRed wrote: »
    When I'm applying for a first time passport for my child I can see that I need to submit the original long form birth certificate. Is it sufficient to send in a photocopy?

No.

But if you can arrange an appointment, they can take a photocopy, stamp it "original seen and returned" for the file, and give the original back to you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

DerryRed wrote: »

Photocopies are not accepted because you can't check security features. You'll get the original back with the passport.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

My wife (Polish national) has to go to London on business and needs to fly Aer Lingus next week. However, she realised today her passport has expired and her driving licence will not work on Aer Lingus as she is not British or Irish

Can she get a Polish passport at the Polish embassy? They are not open until 1430 and need an answer before then.

Thanks all!

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭kjbsrah1

Found this in another thead ...

Consular Section of the Embassy of the Republic of Poland in Dublin
    Ireland, Dublin, 4-8 Eden Quay, Dublin 1
    Phone (+353-1) 871 80 20
    Fax (+353-1) 872 77 92
    dublin.consul@msz.gov.pl

You need to go there in person since your fingerprints need to be taken in order to be added to the microchip..
    (in Polish) http://www.msz.gov.pl/pl/
    You need to fill an application form, provide your previous passport and a photograph which meets biometric standards

The passport fee is €106.00

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

kjbsrah1 wrote: »
    Found this in another thead ...

Consular Section of the Embassy of the Republic of Poland in Dublin
    Ireland, Dublin, 4-8 Eden Quay, Dublin 1
    Phone (+353-1) 871 80 20
    Fax (+353-1) 872 77 92
    dublin.consul@msz.gov.pl

You need to go there in person since your fingerprints need to be taken in order to be added to the microchip..
    (in Polish) http://www.msz.gov.pl/pl/
    You need to fill an application form, provide your previous passport and a photograph which meets biometric standards

The passport fee is €106.00

Thanks, am waiting for that ofice to open at 230.

The chances of getting a passport before next Monday are slim to none I would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,360 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Aer Lingus will take almost anything with a photo, the driving licence or an employee ID card don't give her citizenship so if I was her I'd chance it. Getting into skin colour can be a dangerous game these days but if she could pass for Irish then it's highly unlikely that she will be asked to prove her citizenship when travelling between Ireland and the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Deagol

FutureGuy wrote: »
    My wife (Polish national) has to go to London on business and needs to fly Aer Lingus next week. However, she realised today her passport has expired and her driving licence will not work on Aer Lingus as she is not British or Irish

Can she get a Polish passport at the Polish embassy? They are not open until 1430 and need an answer before then.

Thanks all!

You don't need a passport for the ferry in case she really gets stuck. Rarely even get stopped for any ID.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ranjo

Apologies if this is asked elsewhere in the thread.

I'm traveling to the US in 1 week and applied for my ESTA today. My passport is from 2006 so is not the new type with the electronic symbol on it. ESTA have advised that they only accept these.

Am I really forcedto get the new type? And if so, what are the chances of getting an new Irish passport issued by Friday? (travel on sunday)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Ranjo wrote: »
    Apologies if this is asked elsewhere in the thread.

I'm traveling to the US in 1 week and applied for my ESTA today. My passport is from 2006 so is not the new type with the electronic symbol on it. ESTA have advised that they only accept these.

Am I really forcedto get the new type? And if so, what are the chances of getting an new Irish passport issued by Friday? (travel on sunday)

Will they allow you enter the States on one of those pre-biometric 2006 era passports if you get a visa?

Probably a moot point if you won't get a visa between now and Sunday anyways.

I spoke to passport office. I am getting an emergency passport. I really don't want to take the risk and they advised the same.

Passport Office said they'll get the passport back by Wednesday. They did go out of their way actually, fair play to them.

In terms of
    They will take the old ones until they expire
    I would like to see a link to that being confirmed if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 thatgirl1

Hi all, just wondering if anyone could shed some light. Hubby and I are going to the US in September, but he has lost his passport (again), we've checked with all relevant parties (Garda, local shops), and pretty much tore the house apart looking for it with no joy. This would be his second passport reported lost or stolen (the first was a childs passport which was about four years out of date at that point) , he's had this passport since early 2012. My worry is that he may be given a restricted passport, would this impact entry to the US at all, provided he had all relavant ESTA etc.? We are headed via Gatwick to Vegas.

Fred Swanson. You're a legend. thanks kindly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

thatgirl1 wrote: »
    Hi all, just wondering if anyone could shed some light. Hubby and I are going to the US in September, but he has lost his passport (again), we've checked with all relevant parties (Garda, local shops), and pretty much tore the house apart looking for it with no joy. This would be his second passport reported lost or stolen (the first was a childs passport which was about four years out of date at that point) , he's had this passport since early 2012. My worry is that he may be given a restricted passport, would this impact entry to the US at all, provided he had all relavant ESTA etc.? We are headed via Gatwick to Vegas.

The lost one as a child probably won't be counted against him. He'll have no bother travelling on a restricted passport (I doubt they'll restrict seeing as he has lost 1 adult passport). If he loses another adult passport he will be restricted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

Does anyone have an updated list of countries that are accepting/rejecting the passport card?

Planning on using mine on a few upcoming trips but feeling nervous that it will be refused.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Sono

It really would be great if there was a link on the passport website informing customers of the potential issues with this card and also what places this has been confirmed to be ok to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

I did get admitted in Prague last week, after being refused in 2015.

The real issue is the border posts cannot read the card electronically as its a type IP and not ID/I>/P.

I've seen some border officials manually enter the card number and expiry and in doing so it can be read as these are basically the passport to the RFID chip once they do that its immediate entry, otherwise there is a lot of looking at the card

Beyond UK still advisable to bring a full passport until the IT is sorted out, thankfully it should be EU wide fix so problem will go away

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

Probably been asked before but the search function doesn't seem to be working at the moment.

I can't find the answer anywhere on the dfa.ie site

About to apply for my sons first passport. How do I prove he is an Irish citizen? Please don't say I need my birth certificate. I haven't seen it in forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

Can I bring the signed forms & documentation and apply for my passport in person?

I dont like sending my actual birth cert or marriage certificate off in the post, and i work near the passport office so it would be a lot less hassle if i could do it in person.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,360 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Yes you can but you have to make an appointment ... https://www.passportappointments.ie/

Note that they say you will be waiting 20 days for your passport if you apply in person at the Passport Office while if you apply via Passport Express it will be 10 days. Thousands of birth and marriage certs are sent to them though the mail every week, don't see why you have a problem applying by post.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Just save yourself the bother and use the Passport Express system.

It's all tracked and registered, it's not normal post.

Also, even if lost the documents are easily replaced but it's highly like to happen and you'll everything back including passport within 10 days.

Applying over the counter is also dearer too.

More info here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

How long to wait for a renewal passport if sending it via normal post, im not in a rush.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement