Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Rossdoc81 wrote: »
    Hello,
    I have a question here and I'm really worried at this stage. I sent my passport in with Passport Express and it was received on Monday 27th of May. I am supposed to be flying to Spain this weekend, Sunday the 9th June but my passport will not be issued until Monday the 10th. I though the 10 day turn around thing was you would have your passport back with in 10 days of sending it off, it was stupid that I didn't check this out before hand.

I spent all day yesterday ringing the office, then finally got through this morning. The guy on the phone basically told me there's nothing he can do, he can't bring it forward a day so it can be collected on Friday. He said they make them out in Ballybriggin and will only speed up the process for a death or illness.

My question is have I any hope of getting it this Friday? Is there any other route i can go down? I'm in Mayo, and I'm wondering is it worth a journey up to Dublin tomorrow to talk to them face to face, or is it a lost cause at this stage. I'm gutted because i will lose €430 worth of flights and accommodation if I can't get it by Friday.
    Thanks
    Ross

It is 10 working days which would be next week. Best to try phone them, it can be difficult though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

cailinoBAC wrote: »
    Because if we did, then I wouldn't be carrying my passport everywhere. My Italian colleague was with me, had her national ID card stolen, but she can go into work on her passport.

Yeah fair point hadn't thought about that, best of luck getting the replacement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

Quick question....

I went to a passport booth for photos and I got 4 printed on a card thing. Do I need to cut them out or will I send the small piece of card by itself (it has TESCO - PHOTO-ME) printed on the bottom. Also do I sign all 4 on the back or just two and can I sign them before I go to the Garda Station.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 barnabybear

I went to a passport booth for photos and I got 4 printed on a card thing. Do I need to cut them out or will I send the small piece of card by itself (it has TESCO - PHOTO-ME) printed on the bottom. Also do I sign all 4 on the back or just two and can I sign them before I go to the Garda Station.
    As far as I remember, you don't sign them on the back. The witness does.

It's better to cut them (to the correct size) first. Otherwise you will find that part of the witness's stamp/signature gets cut off when the photos are cut out.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭mectavba

I'm just wondering if it is possible to add pages to an Irish passport? I got a 10 year passport in late 2011 and went travelling last year.
    I may be doing a similar trip in the near future, but I don't think I would have enough blank pages.
    Any ideas? I cant find anything on the DFA's website. Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 morgan 2012

I have a provisional drivers licence. It has a photo of me on it and it is also one of the new irish drivers licence can I use this to travel with aer lingus i cant find any info on there website about it

• Registered Users Posts: 25,345 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I think it's reasonable to assume that when Aer Lingus mention a 'driver's licence,' they're not particularly bothered whether it's a learner permit or a full licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭misschoo

I have used a full drivers license as proof of I'd with Aer Lingus when flying to the UK & absolutely no problems. Ryan Air will not accept it though as proof of ID. Hilarious thing is though when I flew to the UK with my cousin 13 years ago all she has was he DUNNES STORES card & the let her off on it!!! I know though that things have tightened up since then !! Seriously we had to talk the check in girl through it but she let us through!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

coylemj wrote: »
    I think it's reasonable to assume that when Aer Lingus mention a 'driver's licence,' they're not particularly bothered whether it's a learner permit or a full licence.

A learner's permit is not a licence. Provisional licences were never accepted as ID afaik.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

I reckon the op has been sorted out by now. Unless that passports expired now too..

I reckon the op has been sorted out by now. Unless that passports expired now too..

Morgan2012's post is only a few hours old

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

mectavba wrote: »
    I'm just wondering if it is possible to add pages to an Irish passport? I got a 10 year passport in late 2011 and went travelling last year.
    I may be doing a similar trip in the near future, but I don't think I would have enough blank pages.
    Any ideas? I cant find anything on the DFA's website. Cheers.

No big deal. You can just get a new passport if it fills up. Search Fred Swanson posts on travel - usually wrong.

athtrasna wrote: »
    A learner's permit is not a licence. Provisional licences were never accepted as ID afaik.

That's hair splitting, why on earth would Aer Lingus distinguish between the two? As long as your name and photo are on it, that's all they care about.

If they're prepared to accept a workplace ID or student card with photo then they'll accept a driver's learner permit.

coylemj wrote: »
    That's hair splitting, why on earth would Aer Lingus distinguish between the two? As long as your name and photo are on it, that's all they care about.

If they're prepared to accept a workplace ID or student card with photo then they'll accept a driver's learner permit.

The issue had to do with how easy it was to get a provisional licence, easier to fake. My recollection of the rule was that only full licences count as official ID.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

The issue had to do with how easy it was to get a provisional licence, easier to fake. My recollection of the rule was that only full licences count as official ID.

According to Aer Lingus?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

My mum is travelling on monday and her name is Josephine but the flight has been booked in the name of Joan which she uses day to day. should we pay 110 * 2 to amend or will it be ok? thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Call them today & explain the anomaly - don't leave it 'til you get to the airport.

Ask would they amend it for you there and then (don't make any mention of a fee).

Why are you talking about something that's gone the way of the Dodo?

A learner's permit contains a photo, same as a full licence so it will be perfectly acceptable to Aer Lingus. Virtually anything with your photo on it is ok for Aer Lingus, I only carry my passport because on the way back you can get funny looks flashing an old ID badge to the folk in Heathrow when boarding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Call them today & explain the anomaly - don't leave it 'til you get to the airport.

Ask would they amend it for you there and then (don't make any mention of a fee).

that we did and it cost 10e. Hats of to them for not being totally by the book!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

So, just a quick update. Managed to get into work today (you just have to ask as many people as possible and finally somebody will know who to ring, well actually a colleague of my husband's did...). Got to the border, showed papers to the Spanish, all fine, came to the Gibraltar side, showing all my papers 'oh are you the Irish one? We've been waiting for you!'
    Anyway, got an email from the embassy saying it's been sent by express post, so hopefully will get it on Monday.

On a separate note though, as this is my emergency passport and I'm not sure how long it will last, or when the process begins for full passport (or do I have to pay the full thing again?) we got married in October and I kind of told my husband I'd change the name when I was getting a new passport, but didn't expect it to be so soon! The way it happened I just wanted to get it done with as few questions as possible. Do you think I'll be able to request the new full one in my married name (sending documentation of course). Or am I mixed up about all of this and I need to do a brand new application again?

So, just a quick update. Managed to get into work today (you just have to ask as many people as possible and finally somebody will know who to ring, well actually a colleague of my husband's did...). Got to the border, showed papers to the Spanish, all fine, came to the Gibraltar side, showing all my papers 'oh are you the Irish one? We've been waiting for you!'
    Anyway, got an email from the embassy saying it's been sent by express post, so hopefully will get it on Monday.

On a separate note though, as this is my emergency passport and I'm not sure how long it will last, or when the process begins for full passport (or do I have to pay the full thing again?) we got married in October and I kind of told my husband I'd change the name when I was getting a new passport, but didn't expect it to be so soon! The way it happened I just wanted to get it done with as few questions as possible. Do you think I'll be able to request the new full one in my married name (sending documentation of course). Or am I mixed up about all of this and I need to do a brand new application again?

What nationality is your husband?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

Irish, but we got married in Spain.

Irish, but we got married in Spain.

Well then remember, under EC law you have the right to accompany or join your spouse in Spain or Gibraltar, even if without your passport, so long as you can corroborate by other means that you are his spouse. Alternatively, if you can corroborate by other means that you yourself are an Irish citizen you have the right of entry in your own right.

The fact that you were denied entry to Gibraltar, and we not granted entry on the condition that you would provide evidence of your right of entry at a later time, nor were you given "every opportunity" to provide evidence or to corroborate by other means that either A) you are an Irish citizen or B) you are the spouse of an Irish citizen whom you are accompanying or joining, suggests that you were unlawfully denied entry and have grounds for a claim for compensation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭link_2007

Hi all.

Just wondering, if I am renewing my passport do I still need to send in an original copy of my birth certificate?

The form seems to indicate that I do but I'm not sure if that's just for first time applicants. It just seems to be a bit of overkill to me as I will be sending in a copy of my old passport with the application.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭link_2007

Thanks Fred, appreciate the quick reply

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

I lost my passport on Sat night. I'm travelling to the UK next Tuesday (with Ryanair so I need a passport). Is it possible to get a new one before then? I've one last hope later today of relocating it but if that fails, I was going to go to the main office tomorrow morning to get a new one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Alainn Beauty MUA

hi i have my ticket booked for london on the 22nd but i just copped that my passsport is out of date , what is the best option get the express one or go into them with my ticket ? thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement