Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

I am an American, born and raised. I was able to claim Irish citizenship through naturalization from my grandfather, who was 100% Irish and born in Ireland. I think that two generations is the farthest allowable gap. So because I am a citizen, I naturally have right to a passport. So there you go.

so...does anyone know if that photocopy would be acceptable or should I get my hands on the real copy?

No org docs only.

Naturalisation and foreign birth reg are different..........your sounds like FBR.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Cornblakes6

That is probably the case than. I am calling the consulate now to see if he can send everything back to me now. So do you think the real FBR doc would be sufficient than?

sorry for all of the questions

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭netopia

So do you think the real FBR doc would be sufficient than?

I don't think Irish border Gardai would know what an FBR cert was never mind the UK Border Agency.

The FBR cert is a pretty unimpressive document and it doesn't scream "this person is Irish".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

That is probably the case than. I am calling the consulate now to see if he can send everything back to me now. So do you think the real FBR doc would be sufficient than?

sorry for all of the questions

Nope its not enough, the same as you can't just enter on an Irish Birth Cert.

For the passport you need, FBR cert, LBC, proof of id, proof of address, proof of name, form and 4 photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

I have to disagree.

According to EU Directive 2004/38/EC, an EU national has the right of entry to the territory of another Member State by production of a valid passport or National Identity Card, confirming his citizenship. However..

Article 5(4) of this Directive states:
    Where a Union citizen, or a family member who is not a national of a Member State, does not have the necessary travel documents or, if required, the necessary visas, the Member State concerned shall, before turning them back, give such persons every reasonable opportunity to obtain the necessary documents or have them brought to them within a reasonable period of time or to corroborate or prove by other means that they are covered by the right of free movement and residence.

So, should Cornblakes6 (having arrived at the UK border on a US passport) choose to seek to enter the UK as an Irish national who is not in possession of a valid passport, he must be given, by the UKBA, every reasonable opportunity to obtain the passport or have it brought to them within a reasonable period of time. A passport that has been issued and is merely "in the post" could certainly be produced to the UKBA within a reasonable period of time, so it would be unlawful to refuse entry to Cornblakes6 on this basis alone.

Further, Cornblakes6 is able to prove by other means that they are covered by the right of free movement and residence, since he is able to furnish a copy of the entry of his birth in the Irish Foreign Births Register. Under Irish nationality law this confirms his Irish citizenship. This is weak, however, since UKBA staff are unlikely, nor are they required, to be coherent with Irish nationality law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Am I still on for getting my passport by 29th August??

Application Number Entered: ***********
    Status: Application No. ***********. Received on 31/07/2012 and has been registered.
    Issue Date: 14/08/2012
    Website Last Updated: 13/08/2012 at 7:45

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

dorgasm wrote: »
    Am I still on for getting my passport by 29th August??

Application Number Entered: ***********
    Status: Application No. ***********. Received on 31/07/2012 and has been registered.
    Issue Date: 14/08/2012
    Website Last Updated: 13/08/2012 at 7:45

Bar any problems with the Application, you should receive it in the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

would somebody be able to tell me the contact number for the passport office in Dublin? paid €89 for 10 day express service a month ago, August 3rd I get a letter saying I wouldn't get my passport until I sent them my birth cert because the passport was damaged, posted it that day to their office in Balbriggan. I'm still waiting on my passport and I need it immediately. So I would really appreciate it if somebody could help because I can't find their number online. Thanks in advance

nbar12 wrote: »
    would somebody be able to tell me the contact number for the passport office in Dublin? paid €89 for 10 day express service a month ago, August 3rd I get a letter saying I wouldn't get my passport until I sent them my birth cert because the passport was damaged, posted it that day to their office in Balbriggan. I'm still waiting on my passport and I need it immediately. So I would really appreciate it if somebody could help because I can't find their number online. Thanks in advance

Here's their contact page, I'd advise emailing the office first, that seems to be the best way to get a response. BTW its the PPO Dublin you want, on Molesworth Street, Balbriggan don't have a customer care number.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

mmcn90 wrote: »
    Here's their contact page, I'd advise emailing the office first, that seems to be the best way to get a response. BTW its the PPO Dublin you want, on Molesworth Street, Balbriggan don't have a customer care number.

I know yeah but my passport is in Balbriggan getting processed and thats where I sent my birth cert, so me even turning up the offices in Molesworth street might be pointless! This is so frustrating! This will teach me to check my pockets before I put a wash on! AGH :(

• Advertisement

nbar12 wrote: »
    I know yeah but my passport is in Balbriggan getting processed and thats where I sent my birth cert, so me even turning up the offices in Molesworth street might be pointless! This is so frustrating! This will teach me to check my pockets before I put a wash on! AGH :(

No need to turn up there, if you ring them, they'll be able to deal with your case, the call centre in Molesworth Street handles all queries for Balbriggan and will be able to help you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭fuerte1976

Ok peeps, tagging onto this thread.

Sent for new passport for my son (1st passport) so had to send mine too.
    Sent on 26th July and no sign of them back yet. Website still only showing 'received and registered' on 27th. The phone number for Cork is always conveniently busy/engaged. I must have dialled it 20 times. I've emailed the passport office- no response..
    This passport express is a service I've paid for but not got.
    Who to complain to ?? The dept responsible ? Or do the consumer affairs people seem like my best option ?

Cheers for any replies
    Annoyed...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

fuerte1976 wrote: »
    Ok peeps, tagging onto this thread.

Sent for new passport for my son (1st passport) so had to send mine too.
    Sent on 26th July and no sign of them back yet. Website still only showing 'received and registered' on 27th. The phone number for Cork is always conveniently busy/engaged. I must have dialled it 20 times. I've emailed the passport office- no response..
    This passport express is a service I've paid for but not got.
    Who to complain to ?? The dept responsible ? Or do the consumer affairs people seem like my best option ?

Cheers for any replies
    Annoyed...

Relaxing would be your best option. It is a 10 working day turn around service and today is the tenth day. It is the height of the season, there had been clear messages on the dfa website stating a slight delay to the service due to the volume of applicants.

It is now back to 10 days but was above that.

Childrens passports are also subject to more stringent tests.especially first time applicants.

The phone line is 'conveniently' busy because they are more than likely flat out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

Ok, so my daughter is on my wife's passport since August 2004. We are going to Spain next week(booked for ages). I checked in online with Aer Lingus a couple of weeks ago.

I got a text from Aer Lingus today saying something about some countries not accepting kids on parents passports. I knew this was the case from October 2004 but since my wife's passport was issued in August 2004 that didn't apply to us. I checked this evening and while the wording is confusing it seems that to take a child to Spain(a new law came in on July 26th i believe) that child now needs a Passport in her own name. Could someone tell me definitively what is the story?

Also if i need to get her the passport, Can I call to the passport office and have it by the weekend? Today was the first I heard of this new law by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭tinofapples

We received our young lads passport in the post today after a hick up with us not sending in either of our birth certs or passports.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭beyondrapid

hi,

does anyone know what the issue date means? does it mean that everything is ok and i should expect my passport in the next few days??!!

Status: Application No. ***********. Received on 27/07/2012 and has been registered.
    Issue Date: 10/08/2012
    Website Last Updated: 14/08/2012 at 7:45

cheers,

paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MonicaBing

Guys a request from a work mate of mine, the passport was sent of last week, flights on Sun 27th Aug, shows on website as received on 13th of aug and is registered, issue date is 24th Aug which is the friday before the flight, is she better to wait a few more days or get to Molesworth St and sort it herself?
    Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

hi,

does anyone know what the issue date means? does it mean that everything is ok and i should expect my passport in the next few days??!!

Status: Application No. ***********. Received on 27/07/2012 and has been registered.
    Issue Date: 10/08/2012
    Website Last Updated: 14/08/2012 at 7:45

cheers,

paddy

The issue date is what they expect to issue it by, you can add a couple of days to that at the minute with delays.

Ir does not mean everything is OK though, all documents, witness, photos etc... will have to be checked, when that is all done and above board it will be OK and printed.

That tracker system just has registered, checking, approved, printed and posted. Although it will stay at registered for a while then go through the other statges quite quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭beyondrapid

AGC wrote: »
    The issue date is what they expect to issue it by, you can add a couple of days to that at the minute with delays.

Ir does not mean everything is OK though, all documents, witness, photos etc... will have to be checked, when that is all done and above board it will be OK and printed.

That tracker system just has registered, checking, approved, printed and posted. Although it will stay at registered for a while then go through the other statges quite quickly.

thanks AGC
    paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭barry181091

Can I get a refund on the Passport Express fee I paid if I dont get my passport back within 10 working days?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Can I get a refund on the Passport Express fee I paid if I dont get my passport back within 10 working days?
    No.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Just want to doublecheck this. Is a passport valid until 23:59 on the date of expiry? I'm flying back from an EU country on the same day at 10am.

It's too late for passport express I'm afraid. I'm just glad of the massive coincidence of my return flight date! Stupidly just checked my passport this morning!

Just want to doublecheck this. Is a passport valid until 23:59 on the date of expiry? I'm flying back from an EU country on the same day at 10am.

It's too late for passport express I'm afraid. I'm just glad of the massive coincidence of my return flight date! Stupidly just checked my passport this morning!

Yup. You'll be fine. Lucky you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 louise2012x

emergency!!
    i sent away for my passport 7wks ago and according to the tracker everything was fine. they charged me 95 euro. it was meant to be issued 13th aug. all my paperwork has now been sent back to me today saying invalid and my hol is next fri.what do i do?

emergency!!
    i sent away for my passport 7wks ago and according to the tracker everything was fine. they charged me 95 euro. it was meant to be issued 13th aug. all my paperwork has now been sent back to me today saying invalid and my hol is next fri.what do i do?

You need to go into the Passport Office, bring the letter they sent you plus any documents they have asked for in the letter. Also bring proof of your flights. They should then be able to accommodate you.

Yet another example of why people should use Passport Express. Why oh why do they still accept applications by regular post.

thanks

No problem :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

My friend is travelling from England to Ireland next week.

He's Irish. His passport is expired, but he has an Irish driver's license.

Flying with Ryanair.

Does he need a passport to fly?

• Advertisement

My friend is travelling from England to Ireland next week.

He's Irish. His passport is expired, but he has an Irish driver's license.

Flying with Ryanair.

Does he need a passport to fly?

Ryanair won't let him fly. Needs a valid passport. Another other airline would accept Irish driver's licence though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement