Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

29 property suicides leave State unmoved

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

the_syco wrote: »
    Sh|t happens, and some people don't see a way out. As someone once said of suicide; "a permanent solution for a temporary problem".

Very true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

also plenty of people getting badly depressed due to long-term renting:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Mainly, though, it's two things. One is the stress - I was just looking at an Al-Jazeera report about Vancouver, in which a financier said that the "safe" level of spending was to spend one-third of your income on your property. I'd say there are a lot of Irish people who spend a lot more than that.

The second is that when people kill themselves, it opens up this possibility to others. So when people are in desperate straits, they still have the usual thoughts: "Stay steady and it'll straighten out; we can work this out if we just set up a budget; worse things have happened; at least we still have our health; who needs to be rich, we're honest, good people and we'll get through this" - but they also have that cruel choice: "I could just end it all".

They may not think of the horrifying grief and chaos they leave behind them.

Advertisement