Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How to: Fit HIDS to VW Passat (other cars should be similar)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 shane555

The use of HID bulbs in a non suitable non factory headlamps is illegal....cars with xenon headlamps all have self levelling beams which is controlled by two axle height controllers mounted on the front and rear axles...they measure the weight of occupents in the car a level the beam accordingly! Headlamp washers are also fitted as the xenons run cold and do not produce enought heat in cold weather to melt and falling snow or ice build up...I'd hate to think what the insurance company says when theres a smash and you have been blinded by an oncoming twat with blinding lights

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

shane555 wrote: »
    The use of HID bulbs in a non suitable non factory headlamps is illegal....cars with xenon headlamps all have self levelling beams which is controlled by two axle height controllers mounted on the front and rear axles...they measure the weight of occupents in the car a level the beam accordingly! Headlamp washers are also fitted as the xenons run cold and do not produce enought heat in cold weather to melt and falling snow or ice build up...I'd hate to think what the insurance company says when theres a smash and you have been blinded by an oncoming twat with blinding lights

You forgot to mention that there is a difference between projector headlamps where HID's are suited, and NON projector headlamps where they are NOT suited.

Projectors are fine for HID's as long as they are focused properly.
    Have you got a link the the legality of them in this country?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

Did you copy and paste that from Wikipedia because you havent a clue what you are talking about!

Projector lens are suitable for HID conversion as stated in the thread.

On the rear axle nope on the 3B3 Passat the only sensor for the auto leveling function is on the front shocks which is coded to the ECU and calibrated for normal vehicle height and the motor in the headlight housing adjusts the height accordingly.

You think that spraying water on a headlight is going to melt ice and snow?

If a headlight is obstructed by ice and snow its going to reduce the effectiveness of a headlight and diminish how far you can see not act as a lens to aid scatter.

Ill take my chances been through numerous garda checkpoints and an NCT and have no problems to report.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 shane555

vectra wrote: »
    You forgot to mention that there is a difference between projector headlamps where HID's are suited, and NON projector headlamps where they are NOT suited.

Projectors are fine for HID's as long as they are focused properly.
    Have you got a link the the legality of them in this country?

Yes thats correct they would be ok in a projector type headlamp setup however you could be pulled if they're of a blueish colour ...think its called impersonation of a garda...the headlamp levelling and washers is covered under eu legislation for new vehicles.

Yes thats correct they would be ok in a projector type headlamp setup however you could be pulled if they're of a blueish colour ...think its called impersonation of a garda...the headlamp levelling and washers is covered under eu legislation for new vehicles.

Never heard of anyone being pulled for impersonating a garda because of the colour of their headlights!

Just because someone fits HIDS does not necessarily mean they will produce a blue colour in the lens! The lower a k value the whiter the light the higher the K value produces an off blue/purple colour. Most people including myself have opted for either 4300k or 5000k as its as near OEM as possible (i.e. its a white light).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Never heard of anyone being pulled for impersonating a garda because of the colour of their headlights!

Just because someone fits HIDS does not necessarily mean they will produce a blue colour in the lens! The lower a k value the whiter the light the higher the K value produces an off blue/purple colour. Most people including myself have opted for either 4300k or 5000k as its as near OEM as possible (i.e. its a white light).

Which K did you install? I fitted the 5000's and do find them a bit too blue for my liking.. I often wonder did i get wrongly labled bulbs..:confused:

vectra wrote: »
    Which K did you install? I fitted the 5000's and do find them a bit too blue for my liking.. I often wonder did i get wrongly labled bulbs..:confused:

I fitted 5000k from HIDS direct. They are just about right for me anyways. When they ignite 1st the are start blue/white but once they come up to temperature after about 30sec or so they become white.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Harcrid

I have used 4300K in the past myself as it seems to be the best compromise. Anything higher just seemed to be too blue for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Some reading here: -
    http://intellexual.net/hid.html

Bit old but relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

My Audi allroad has factory fitted xenons. I understand the auto levelling to make sure I don't dazzle oncoming traffic when carrying weight in the back of the car, but the headlamp washers are next to useless.

Once road grime is dried in, they make no difference. During the cold spell, they froze very quickly and were useless. Removing ice and snow is the reason they are there as ice/snow can scatter the beam.

I agree with above posts that they are fine in projector headlamps. I've seen some non-projector fitments that are ok once the R bulbs are used, but most non projector HIDs conversions should be illegal.

• Advertisement
Advertisement