Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How to: Fit HIDS to VW Passat (other cars should be similar)

Options
  • 21-03-2010 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I have always been intending on fitting a HID kit as the standard Halogen light from the passat is absolutely ****e! Well I eventually got round to doing it in the last few weeks. If you do perform the modification please get you lights focused afterwards.

Disclaimer:

Do not attempt if your not confident in your own ability as Im not going to be responsible etc etc.

I purchased a kit off the internet (ebay actually as the distributor was 5 pounds cheaper as opposed to their online shop). It also has a 2 year guarantee.

Included in the kit was:
    2 x Ballast
    2 x wiring looms and bulbs
    2 x modified retaining clips for the bulbs
    few cable ties + double sided 3M pads

Tools I found handy:
    Multimeter
    Extra long cable ties
    Small cable ties
    Selection of screwdrives
    Insulation tape
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

I started on the passengers side 1st as there is more room to work. I removed the plastic moulding overing the power steering reservoir.

The rubber cap in the pic is actually what keeps moisture and the elements out of the headlight housing. Obviously remove these as they have to be modified slightly.

The HID instructions said to cut a 25mm hold for the rubber bung for watertightness. As the saying says measure twice, cut once. So I measured the diameter for the rubber bung using a vernier calipers (thank god for lidl !) its actually 24mm. I cut the drivers side 22mm wide as I found the passengers side slighty loose upon fitting and I wanted a snug a fit as possible.

The best place I thought to site the ballast was in the space to the left of the power steering reservoir. As it was free from heat and excess vibration which could fray and damage the wiring loom of the kit.

Pic of mounted ballast. I used the 3M double sided tape as well as 3 heavy duty cable ties to make sure its secured properly and I dont lose it down the road.

To tap into the vehicle electrics be sure to check for polarity with a multimeter! And also connect up the kit respecting it as the last thing you want is to burn out the kit. Some people hardwire the kit to the existing vehicles wiring loom by chopping the existing headlight bulb connection and soldering and heatshrink the connection. I didnt choose to do that as I wanted to be able to roll back if I ever need to. The kit has spade connectors and can literally plug and play into the existing connection. i used some electrical tape to ensure I have a good connection.

Obviouslty remove the existing bulb and retaining clip. I kept these should I need them in future. Carefully fit the HID bulb and secure using the modified retaining clip provded in the kit. It takes a bit of messing about to seat the clip properly into the headlight housing.

Once everything is properly secured, test. Once your happy tidy the cables making sure they are free from sources of heat and vibration using small cable ties. Replace the plastic moulding over the power steeing reservoir. I made sure to keep things neat as I went along and with the plastic moulding in place you would hadly know I was working there.

The drivers side is a bit tighter to work on as there is limited space. I removed some of the ducting going to the airbox and I also removed the bolt securing the airbox assembly to allow me to manover a small bit easier. Technique was similar to what I have already written. I secure the ballast for the drivers side to the chassis rail. I cleaned the rail from grease and debris using ah......vodka :-) its alcohol after all. Secured it using 3M and a few heavy duty cable ties.

Obviously test and secure and make sure all cables are free from obstructions from belts (especially here!) heat and vibration.

Job done!

• Advertisement

To illustrate the differences between the standard halogen and the HIDS take a look at the following pics.

The Halogen is a very yellow light as can be seen where as the HIDs are intense and more focused. I especially notice it when driving with on coming traffic as the light isnt "diluted" so to speak by the other vehicles headlights.

Havent been flashed once either by other motorists as the lights are focused and the bulbs are 5000k as opposed to something higher 6000k +. They appear more "brillant white" so look more OEM that the blue appearance of the boy racers which is what I want

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Excellent.

Thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I have the exact same conversion kit from HIDS-Direct.

I use a 5000k bulb in mine. The 6000k that came with it was a bit too blue for my liking.

Lot's of people forgot to check if they need the retaining clip as that model and the current model passat(along with other cars) require these clips.

They are easily bought on Ebay for around €15

Berty wrote: »
    I have the exact same conversion kit from HIDS-Direct.

I use a 5000k bulb in mine. The 6000k that came with it was a bit too blue for my liking.

Lot's of people forgot to check if they need the retaining clip as that model and the current model passat(along with other cars) require these clips.

They are easily bought on Ebay for around €15

Yup same kit didnt know If I was allowed specify where I got the kit but yes I got them from HIDS Direct as well. Think it was approx 100euro delivered. Mine came with the retainig clips in the kit. Very happy with their customer service too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Great write up thanks. I'm going to have to invest in a pair, they make such a difference.

• Advertisement

Yup same kit didnt know If I was allowed specify where I got the kit but yes I got them from HIDS Direct as well. Think it was approx 100euro delivered. Mine came with the retainig clips in the kit. Very happy with their customer service too.

Mine cost €59 delivered. :D (Without Clips)

Mine cost €59 delivered. :D (Without Clips)

:eek:
    How did u manage to get them so cheap its 66.50 GBP from the website +postage. Was it a group buy or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

Well done! I did the same to my Passat its a great improvement on the standard lights. I was driving through town one day and a Polish lad commented on the lights. Made my day! great pictures.;)

:eek:
    How did u manage to get them so cheap its 66.50 GBP from the website +postage. Was it a group buy or something?

Nope, just bought them on Amazon.co.uk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

Great write up, thanks. I installed them on my father in law's Passat and my wife's A2. They definlitely work better on projector headlamps. The A2 doesn't have projectors, but managed to pass the NCT.

I see some cars, particularly Japanese, that are definitely not suited to HIDs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

ksimpson wrote: »
    Great write up, thanks. I installed them on my father in law's Passat and my wife's A2. They definlitely work better on projector headlamps. The A2 doesn't have projectors, but managed to pass the NCT.

I see some cars, particularly Japanese, that are definitely not suited to HIDs.

HID's are a relatively new issue. Strictly speaking, they need to be CE marked to pass the test (NCT or DOE) What exactly the CE marking means I don't know.

There is an EU Directive out there that demands auto headlamp leveling when discharge lamps are fitted, not yet adopted here but will be at some stage in the future. Adopted and enforced around here are two different things... :rolleyes:

It seems that HID conversions are better suited to DE/"Projector" type lamps, they have less scatter and irritate other road users less.

It would seem that they are definitely the way to go, anything that aids visibility on back roads during dark, wet, miserable winter nights gets the thumbs up in my book.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

theres a seller on ebay, think hes called "china-hid" or somethnig like that and you get get the whole kit from him for 45 notes., bargain.,:)

Masada wrote: »
    theres a seller on ebay, think hes called "china-hid" or somethnig like that and you get get the whole kit from him for 45 notes., bargain.,:)

You have to watch out for Customs charges though. I was caught for a very small delivery one day and another day I got a 10kg box through without getting nabbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭500sel

Do these sets come with self leveling system?

500sel wrote: »

No, the self levelling system is only on factory fitted HIDs. These just plug straight into the existing bulb socket.

By law, all factory fitted HIDs should have self levelling and headlamp washers. As was said above, there doesn't appear to be any law governing these aftermarket kits as yet.

• Advertisement

You have to watch out for Customs charges though. I was caught for a very small delivery one day and another day I got a 10kg box through without getting nabbed.

for a package as low in value as 45 is pretty rare, but even if they do nab it, the cost is only something like a tenner when all worked out.,:)

Had a look at kufatecs website and had a look at how much it would cost to retofit OEM.......needless to day it was much much too expensive. Had a look at ebay also to see if I could pick up any OEM parts from a skoda Superb or Passat its was cost prohibitive being honest and it also required a lot of know how to wire in to ECU as well as to reprogram and calibrate the self levelling system once installed.

Id say your obly going to have trouble with the law if you install cheap kits and/or have non projector headlights as the scatter is blinding. If you have ever come across previous generation boy racer civics with HIDS installed you will know what im referring to.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Make sure the bulbs are "Metal" base.. and not "Plastic" base
    Plastic have been known to melt and ruin the headlight unit ;)

Thought id post an update on the seller i used, I got them in about 5-7 days from china, total cost was 42 euro delivered and i went with 6000k rating, installation is pretty simple as per the OPs instructions,
    http://stores.shop.ebay.ie/china-hid__W0QQ_armrsZ1

contents are
    2 ballasts,
    2 HID bulbs,
    load of cable ties,
    Sticky pads for the Balasts, and i think thats about it,

Heres what it looks like with normal Halogen high beams and HID main beams.
    Their significantly better than the original Halogens and i didnt need to re allign them. :)

4467866468_b85abe3edf_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭500sel

Have any of you been on the receiving end of a non leveled /unfocused hid?
    Not a happy place :mad:

The odd time. Mostly Japanese cars for some reason. I think some light units suit them and some don't. It's not quite as simple as projector and non-projector.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

If I ever get my paws around the neck of the p***k driving the black Civic with retrofitted HID's on the N9 this evening I'll crack it.

Scatter would be an understatement, but his habit of dropping back and then accelerating up to within an inch of my boot lid was, quite frankly, infuriating, he's lucky my wife was in the car or I'd have stopped him.

I'm going to de-badge my car, I don't need the attention of these piss & vinegar tits.

Normally placid fishtits. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭tony1985

Hi All,

I have always been intending on fitting a HID kit as the standard Halogen light from the passat is absolutely ****e! Well I eventually got round to doing it in the last few weeks. If you do perform the modification please get you lights focused afterwards.

Disclaimer:

Do not attempt if your not confident in your own ability as Im not going to be responsible etc etc.

I purchased a kit off the internet (ebay actually as the distributor was 5 pounds cheaper as opposed to their online shop). It also has a 2 year guarantee.

Included in the kit was:
    2 x Ballast
    2 x wiring looms and bulbs
    2 x modified retaining clips for the bulbs
    few cable ties + double sided 3M pads

Tools I found handy:
    Multimeter
    Extra long cable ties
    Small cable ties
    Selection of screwdrives
    Insulation tape

Where can I find the modified retaining clips for the bulbs/connections people???

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

tony1985 wrote: »
    Where can I find the modified retaining clips for the bulbs/connections people???

I used the original ones in my Octavia when I did the conversion

• Advertisement

tony1985 wrote: »

It would be useful if you included details (i.e. Make, Model and year of your car)?

You can modify the clips using a snips and pliers. Or you can purchase them from ebay, amazon etc etc...

Advertisement