Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Using full licence(automatic) as provisional(to learn manual)

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

erwinvr101 wrote: »
    i know. i'm just trying to state my opinion.

fair enough, but don't think anyone on here is gonna be able to answer your question past what I said.
    It seems to kinda make sense to me, the person is in fact a learner, better than a complete beginner, but a learner nonetheless. Sending in the full licence is partly just to make sure the person isn't mistakenly issued another driver number.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭erwinvr101

dearg lady wrote: »
    If he has passed a theory test in the last 5 years, this will still be fine, OP can just apply for a provisional licence with the form, pics and fee, btw, you also need to send in your current full licence with the application.

i think you're talking about the learner permit here and not the theory test cert which is only effective for two years in that the learner should apply for a permit within that period of time. so in essence, the OP should sit a theory test again and pass it to get a learner permit which is exactly the point i'm trying to make

i think you're talking about the learner permit here and not the theory test cert which is only effective for two years in that the learner should apply for a permit within that period of time. so in essence, the OP should sit a theory test again and pass it to get a learner permit which is exactly the point i'm trying to make

sorry yes, 2 years, not 5 years, but the point remains the same.

sorry yes, 2 years, not 5 years, but the point remains the same.

and all i'm trying to point out is that the automatic license be allowed to use or be recognised if a driver is trying to learn to drive in a manual car but also he has to follow what any other learners do by puting L plates up and being accompanied by a full license driver when driving, coz he already had the learner permit before and it's a lot of an inconvenience if he has to get one again

and all i'm trying to point out is that the automatic license be allowed to use or be recognised if a driver is trying to learn to drive in a manual car but also he has to follow what any other learners do by puting L plates up and being accompanied by a full license driver when driving, coz he already had the learner permit before and it's a lot of an inconvenience if he has to get one again

I'm not entirely sure why this bothers you so much, but perhaps you should lobby for changes in this area? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

I'm not entirely sure why this bothers you so much, but perhaps you should lobby for changes in this area? ;)

i'm bothered by the principle, and seeing as the English people have put logic into this matter but hey! this is ireland. this does not affect me as i hold a full license

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Well I am guessing that since you can drive an automatic having passed a test with a manual, driving an auto must be regarded as easier than driving a manual. So as was stated earlier, the best thing to do is to do a test with a manual so that one can drive both. Why cant you just keep driving an auto OP and you wont need to do any of this hassle, or do you need to drive a manual specifically for something?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,954 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I'm open to correction but if the Learner Permit is still valid from it's original issue date then they will issue it again for the period remaining without charge. If it is long past it's sell by date then there shouldn't be a huge problem as another Permit can be issued for up to 5 years after the last date on the previous. If more than 5 years have passed, it could hardly be described a huge inconvienence to start again. If it is a huge issue, why not stick with autos.
    enwinvr101 wrote:
    then why is it legal in England to have the license for automatic (according to the OP) to be used as a means to learn to drive a manual and also doesn't require a driver to apply a learner permit anymore?
    People like to refer to select UK rules when it suits them. Many of the UK laws are stricter and enforced more that here. Would people prefer that we adopt all of theirs?

If a driver were permitted to use a restricted Driving licence as a Learner Permit, it could be open to abuse. What is there to stop a person from putting up L plates and being accompanied but never having any intention of doing a test. They could simply apply for another licence every 10 years without a test. You have to remember that a learner Permit is not a Driving Licence. It is only issued to allow a person to access public roads for the purpose of learning to drive. How could it be proven that a person using a restricted 78 Licence was actually learning to drive and not avoiding doing a test. At least with the Learner permit, one has to have sat a test or applied for one to continue.

• Advertisement

I'm open to correction but if the Learner Permit is still valid from it's original issue date then they will issue it again for the period remaining without charge. If it is long past it's sell by date then there shouldn't be a huge problem as another Permit can be issued for up to 5 years after the last date on the previous. If more than 5 years have passed, it could hardly be described a huge inconvienence to start again. If it is a huge issue, why not stick with autos.

i don't understand this, the OP or anyone for that matter have already submitted the learner permit in exchange for the automatic license so how can he/she ask for another one? can they just submit their license back in exchange for the permit? thing is, if the permit is long past its date people may need to do the theory test again which is one of the inconveniences i'm talking about. it's not like these people have stopped driving and become new to the rules of the road. about the OP wanting to learn a manual, well, automatic cars are really boring to drive and driving with a stick breaks the monotomy.

People like to refer to select UK rules when it suits them. Many of the UK laws are stricter and enforced more that here. Would people prefer that we adopt all of theirs?

If a driver were permitted to use a restricted Driving licence as a Learner Permit, it could be open to abuse. What is there to stop a person from putting up L plates and being accompanied but never having any intention of doing a test. They could simply apply for another licence every 10 years without a test. You have to remember that a learner Permit is not a Driving Licence. It is only issued to allow a person to access public roads for the purpose of learning to drive. How could it be proven that a person using a restricted 78 Licence was actually learning to drive and not avoiding doing a test. At least with the Learner permit, one has to have sat a test or applied for one to continue.

you know it's already hard to find someone who would put their time and effort just to accompany someone who wants to learn to drive to do the test. how much more for the one's who have no intention to? there are also other reasons why people would not abuse their license such as cost of insurances, freedom from actually driving a manual alone, etc. and for someone with a license to put L plates again has got to mean something

by the way, i know what you and the other's are saying and you are right here. i'm just questioning the logic of the rules or law about this thing :P. actually, i don't know if this is actually the case in UK. i'm just taking the word of the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

I know you can exchange your full Irish license for any EU countries. My point is could you simply exchange your automatic license for an EU country that doesn't differ between Auto/Manual and then simply exchange it back for an Irish one????

erwinvr101 wrote:
    i don't understand this, the OP or anyone for that matter have already submitted the learner permit in exchange for the automatic license so how can he/she ask for another one? can they just submit their license back in exchange for the permit?
    I can't see why it can't be reissued. It happens all the time in situations where people hold a Learner Permit in several categories. Suppose you have a LP in categories A1, B, M and W and you pass a category B test. You can they apply for a category B Driving licence and your learner permit will be reissued with the remaining categories in it. If you Driving Licence is restricted, you can request to have the B Learner Permit added again to enable you to drive category B unrestricted vehicles.

erwinvr101 wrote:
    thing is, if the permit is long past its date people may need to do the theory test again which is one of the inconveniences i'm talking about. it's not like these people have stopped driving and become new to the rules of the road
    If you take a bus driver who has trainer with Bus Eireann/Dublin Bus. They only operate automatic buses. Suppose a driver with 30 years experience wishes to seek employment with a private operator who used manual buses. The driver will have to go back and do the theory test and apply for a Learner Permit even though he will have years of experience and miles clocked up.

erwinvr101 wrote:
    you know it's already hard to find someone who would put their time and effort just to accompany someone who wants to learn to drive to do the test. how much more for the one's who have no intention to? there are also other reasons why people would not abuse their license such as cost of insurances, freedom from actually driving a manual alone, etc. and for someone with a license to put L plates again has got to mean something
    I know what you are saying but the law has to cover as many possibilities as it can. It is entirely possible that there are people out there who do not drive much but will be able to find a fully licenced driver with them when they go out.

Take an older couple for instance. Husband has many years left in his licence but doesn't feel confident to drive anymore. Wife has an auto licence but drives their manual car with L plates. They go everywhere together - shopping, church, visiting etc. If she didn't need a Learner Permit, wife could keep doing this for years.
    erwinvr101 wrote:
    i don't know if this is actually the case in UK. i'm just taking the word of the OP.[/B]
    I meant to make that point last night. I somehow doubt that it is the case in the UK but I haven't time to check it out. As with so many myths relating to driving and learning to drive, perhaps he heard a man in a pub saying it! :)
    Faith+1 wrote: »
    I know you can exchange your full Irish license for any EU countries. My point is could you simply exchange your automatic license for an EU country that doesn't differ between Auto/Manual and then simply exchange it back for an Irish one????
    Do we allow exchange of licences from European countries who don't differ between manual and auto? I know that we don't recognise US licences for that reason.

Take an older couple for instance. Husband has many years left in his licence but doesn't feel confident to drive anymore. Wife has an auto licence but drives their manual car with L plates. They go everywhere together - shopping, church, visiting etc. If she didn't need a Learner Permit, wife could keep doing this for years.

i guess you can have another example as that one don't make much sense to me. see, the husband has no confidence driving their manual car yet it's the wife with an automatic license who will drive it for him. how she got the confidence to drive a manual or why she got the automatic license when they have a manual car i find it hard to get.

and as for someone who has an auto license but is displaying L plates and accompanied by someone with a full license is hardly doing abuse at all. specially that we know how driver with L plates are treated on the road. he/she would be just doing the way other learners are doing.

again, i'm just questioning the rule/law here for this matter. i've no problems with it TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭djt0607

WOW! I am astounded at the amount of replies my query got. I didn't expect even a quarter of the responses I received. Thank you to everyone who took the time to comment on this issue.

I have rang the rsa and i can confirm that i do indeed need to start from scratch again. (i.e. take the theory test again and apply for a provisional license and so on..)

I respect everyone's thoughts and opinions on this matter, however, no matter who thinks that "thats the way it is and thats that" or "thats the law" or stuff like that; it basically boils down to one thing....money.<SNIP>

This type of system is not in place because its "the law"; it is in place because its another way of generating revenue by squeezing more money out of people.

If we think of it logically, we would do it like England where a person holding a full driving license (automatic) can use that license as a provision to drive a manual transmission vehicle (in the same class) provided he/she is accompanied by a fully qualified driver that holds a manual license.

As the provisional license covers all transmissions and the process for getting it (be it with the intention of driving a manual or an automatic) is the same, it is totally illogical to require someone that has been through the system before and completed the process (ie. is now a fully qualified driver) to have to go back to square one and do it again. As this is totally illogical, it comes back to my origonal statement that this is just another typical IRISH MONEY MAKING RACKET.

I will finish with three simple words "RIP-OFF-IRELAND!"

You see, it is abosolute clowns like you that has this country the way it is. Why dont we all just bend over and take it up the backside without as much as flinching?

First of all, it doesnt matter what bull**** random statistic (of 5% for automatic drivers on the roads) you pull out of you head, at the end of the day once you pass the test you are a "fully qualified driver"! Almost all cars in the US are automatic. Does this mean that almost all drivers are not fully qualified?

Secondly, which is better: €15 in my pocket or €15 in the states? (and once its in the states hands it gets spent on ridiculous things like the spire on o connell street).
    I would take a guess (and believe i am pretty damn accurate with it) that your simply a spotty little teenager living with your parents who has never had to graft for anything in your life and therefore knows nothing about the value of money. If you had to graft for it, you would think more of "just €15". Dont forget, there is approximately 4 million people in ireland. Even if 1% of them (thats 40,000) is in a similiar situation to myself, thats €600,000 that the state is taking off people (and that could only be within a certain time frame: one year, two years or even three years maybe). But of coarse to you its "just €600,000". Go back to school!

Apologies. It's just that frustration is often an extremely difficult emotion to withold.

It anoys me when people give credit (no matter how small) to a bunch of mindless nincompoops that cant tell the difference between their heads and their asses.

You do take my point though (dont you?) that €15, which may seem a small amount, is being taken from our pockets, for something that is totally illogical and which in reality does not need to happen. And as I said, a relatively small sum of €15 when multiplied by 1% of the population becomes an enormous amount. It is just far simpler and more logical to let the full automatic license act as a provisional liscense. If this was to cause confusion or any sort of problems for the guards, the rsa, whoever,.. i would say yes, by all means people must go back to square one and resit everything again, but it doesnt.

• Advertisement

djt0607 wrote: »
    Almost all cars in the US are automatic. Does this mean that almost all drivers are not fully qualified?
    Yes - hence the reason why a US licence cannot be exchanged for an Irish one.

I don't understand your rant about €15 being a money-making racket. I'd say it's done at a loss. If the Government really wanted to make money out of it , they could raise the fee substantially. Many young drivers have to pay out several thousand euro for insurance but baulk at paying €15 for something that lasts for 2 years and may only be required once.
    djt0607 wrote:
    It's just that frustration is often an extremely difficult emotion to withold.
    How do you deal with it while driving? :eek:

Yes - hence the reason why a US licence cannot be exchanged for an Irish one.

is that the reason or is it because the US is not an EU member state or an EEA member state? or maybe because the US people drive on the other side of the road?

is that the reason or is it because the US is not an EU member state or an EEA member state? or maybe because the US people drive on the other side of the road?

I'm sure someone has a better idea than me, but I imagine it's based on a number of factors, predominant among them being the auto/manual thing. Most Europeans drive on the other side of the road, but you can exchange any European licence for an Irish licence.

There are other countries around the world with which Ireland has agreements to exchange licences, eg Australia, Japan, possibly down to a perceived standard of driving test??

Advertisement