Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Using full licence(automatic) as provisional(to learn manual)

Options
  • 20-03-2010 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a full license allowing me to drive vehicles with automatic transmissions. I am interested in learning to drive vehicles with a manual trasnmission.

I am wondering if I can use my existing full driving license (restricted to automatic transmissions) as a provisional license for learning to drive a manual or would I have to re-apply for a provisional license to drive a manual?

Cheers

DJT

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Start at the bottom buddy, learner permit and work your way up.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭djt0607

that doesn't exactly answer my question - a simple 'yes' or 'no' would have sufficed; but thanks for the reply non-the-less.

Start at the bottom implies you need a learner permit.
    Learner permit implies you have to apply for one and get it.
    Then work your way up to full license in a manual car.

Sorry if I came across as vague, somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭djt0607

ah ok so.

It doesn't really surprise me anyways to be honest. It makes absolutely no sense and is purley another one of the Irish governments money making rackets. In England you can use a full license (automatic) as a provisional without any problems (which makes logical sense), which is why I thought it would be the same here.

Thanks again anyways for your replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭bothyhead

Interesting question OP. It's an unusual case. If you wanted to upgrade to a C licence, you would need a separate provisional C licence. But in your case you don't want to change category, only get a less restricted version of it. Hmm, it's a tough call. Your best bet is to check with the appropriate authorities e.g. Citizens' information, 1890 777 121

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/motoring-1/driver-licensing

p.s. this web site doesn't really answer your question either.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

djt0607 wrote: »
    ah ok so.

It doesn't really surprise me anyways to be honest. It makes absolutely no sense and is purley another one of the Irish governments money making rackets. In England you can use a full license (automatic) as a provisional without any problems (which makes logical sense), which is why I thought it would be the same here.

Thanks again anyways for your replies.
    Thems the rules. Besides, a monkey could drive an automatic. Driving a manual is completely different.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 RonnieT

Besides, a monkey could drive an automatic. Driving a manual is completely different.

If someone has passed a test in an automatic, they have proven they know the rules of the road and how to drive upon them. Whether they are shifting gears or letting an autobox do the work, there's a lot more to being able to drive than simply working the transmission.

Hence the OP's question; I think holding a full automatic licence shows a level of ability far beyond a total beginner who may never have ventured onto a road in their life before. Unfortunately it seems that the law does not agree.

Nor does MagicMarker. But from comments like the above, he's at least proving a monkey can type :P

RonnieT wrote: »
    If someone has passed a test in an automatic, they have proven they know the rules of the road and how to drive upon them. Whether they are shifting gears or letting an autobox do the work, there's a lot more to being able to drive than simply working the transmission.

Hence the OP's question; I think holding a full automatic licence shows a level of ability far beyond a total beginner who may never have ventured onto a road in their life before. Unfortunately it seems that the law does not agree.

Nor does MagicMarker. But from comments like the above, he's at least proving a monkey can type :P
    A monkey might be able to drive an automatic, but that doesn't mean it knows how to clutch and shift.
    Hence the rules about auto's and manuals.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

RonnieT wrote: »

There's more to driving than working the transmission, true. But there's also more to driving than knowing the rules of the road, by that logic we should just let anyone drive a car, seeing as most people have a good grasp of the rules of the road anyway.

IMO if everyone did a test in an automatic, then pass rates would be much higher, which speaks for itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

all you have to do is learn clutch control to convert, Id try the Dept of transport or phone your local test centre OP...you wont get a definaitive answer on here I suspect.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Moved to learning to drive forum.
    IMO if everyone did a test in an automatic, then pass rates would be much higher, which speaks for itself.

I don't think you can infer much from that. Anyway, let's not turn this into another "You're not really driving a car in an automatic" thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

AFAIK off the top of my head, if you pass a test in an automatic you are only covered to drive that and not a manual. So you will probably have to start from scratch.If you pass in a manual, you are covered for both.

I think;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Unfortuneatly, you will have to start from scratch for a manual.

I never really thought about it before, but now that I do, it's not a great system. If you have already passed your test in an automatic, you have proven yourself to be a competent driver on the roads. To all those saying that pass rates would be higher if everybody drove an automatic, the most common faults on a driving test have nothing to do with the fact that the car is manual (e.g progress, reaction to hazards, clearance of stationery objects etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

wow as i may be in this situation if i dont pass my next test I am bewildered be the info on the websites - there is no mention i could find. will have to call the rsa and find out

• Registered Users Posts: 24,954 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

There is no ambiguity on the matter.

If you hold a full but restricted licence in any category and wish to do the test again in an unrestricted vehicle within that category, you are required to apply for another learner permit to enable you to legally utilise public roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭erwinvr101

There is no ambiguity on the matter.

If you hold a full but restricted licence in any category and wish to do the test again in an unrestricted vehicle within that category, you are required to apply for another learner permit to enable you to legally utilise public roads.

is the learner permit for driving a manual different from an automatic? coz if there's no difference, the OP doesn't have to apply anymore for it but he has to drive accompanied by someone who has a full license. i could be wrong though. just my 2 cents...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

erwinvr101 wrote: »
    is the learner permit for driving a manual different from an automatic? coz if there's no difference, the OP doesn't have to apply anymore for it but he has to drive accompanied by someone who has a full license if he wants to drive a manual. i could be wrong though. just my 2 cents...

No it's not. The restriction is only added upon completing the full driving test in an automatic transmission.

No it's not. The restriction is only added upon completing the full driving test in an automatic transmission.

so he doesn't have to apply for a learner permit anymore, right?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

so he doesn't have to apply for a learner permit anymore, right?

As was already mentioned on this thread. If the OP wishes to drive a manual transmission they must apply for a Learner Permit. A full restricted license is not the same as a learner permit in this case.

As was already mentioned on this thread. If the OP wishes to drive a manual transmission they must apply for a Learner Permit. A full restricted license is not the same as a learner permit in this case.

but the OP already had his learner permit before which was converted to his automatic drivers license when he did the test, it doesn't make sense to get another one as is the case in the UK (according to the OP). ah well...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

then why is it legal in England to have the license for automatic (according to the OP) to be used as a means to learn to drive a manual and also doesn't require a driver to apply a learner permit anymore? i know what you're saying about having to go back again with all the L plates and accompanying full license driver. it's just that it doesn't make sense to apply for a learner permit again since there's no difference between a learner permit for an automatic and a manual and that the OP already had acquired it before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

then why is it legal in England to have the license for automatic (according to the OP) to be used as a means to learn to drive a manual and also doesn't require a driver to apply a learner permit anymore? i know what you're saying about having to go back again with all the L plates and accompanying full license driver. it's just that it doesn't make sense to apply for a learner permit again since there's no difference between a learner permit for an automatic and a manual and that the OP already had acquired it before.
    This is not England!

This is not England!

wow! i know that! at least they see logic about this matter

i can clearly understand this if the learner permit for an automatic is different from a manual. it's not really logical. so how is he going to get a learner permit? by passing a theory test again? convenient...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

i can clearly understand this if the learner permit for an automatic is different from a manual. it's not really logical. so how is he going to get a learner permit? by passing a theory test again? convenient...

If he has passed a theory test in the last 5 years, this will still be fine, OP can just apply for a provisional licence with the form, pics and fee, btw, you also need to send in your current full licence with the application.

dearg lady wrote: »
    If he has passed a theory test in the last 5 years, this will still be fine, OP can just apply for a provisional licence with the form, pics and fee, btw, you also need to send in your current full licence with the application.

see, this is what's funny about this. he/she has to go back to the learner license that he had before. why can't the OP just use the automatic license, put L plates on the car and have an accompanying full license driver with him just like any other learning drivers out there? again, there is no distinction between the learner permit for an auto and a manual

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

see, this is what's funny about this. he/she has to go back to the learner license that he had before. why can't the OP just use the automatic license, put L plates on the car and have an accompanying full license driver with him just like any other learning drivers out there? again, there is no distinction between the learner permit for an auto and a manual

not to be smart, but, cos it's the law. There's a ton of stupid laws in this country.

I dunno, maybe they like to keep track of number of provisionals or something.

• Advertisement

dearg lady wrote: »
    not to be smart, but, cos it's the law. There's a ton of stupid laws in this country.

I dunno, maybe they like to keep track of number of provisionals or something.

i know. i'm just trying to state my opinion.

Advertisement