Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it ok to strike anymore?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

Have you been living under a rock?

so have you a link or not?

as far as i remember the pay cuts in the public service were to all grades is this wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

PeakOutput wrote: »
    so have you a link or not?

as far as i remember the pay cuts in the public service were to all grades is this wrong?

Oh lol... Seriously, do your own research, I won't be doing it for you ;)

Oh lol... Seriously, do your own research, I won't be doing it for you ;)

so your not going to provide any back up to what you said? so its really not worth the screen its displayed on is it? im not being smart i am genuinely interested in what managers in the public service have gotten huge pay rises and bonuses because its a disgrace if it happened

but i dont believe it happened and a quick google dosnt show any such scandal either so what exactly are you spouting on about?

so your not going to provide any back up to what you said? so its really not worth the screen its displayed on is it? im not being smart i am genuinely interested in what managers in the public service have gotten huge pay rises and bonuses because its a disgrace if it happened

but i dont believe it happened and a quick google dosnt show any such scandal either so what exactly are you spouting on about?

You definately haven't been around much in the past year or so, have you? You dismiss it because you haven't heard of it? Not everything comes from the internetz ;)

I'll give you a clue... Fas.

You definately haven't been around much in the past year or so, have you? You dismiss it because you haven't heard of it? Not everything comes from the internetz ;)

I'll give you a clue... Fas.

so they are striking over a pay scandal that was effectively concluded in september?

were are the press releases and statements from the public sector unions saying that this is what the problem is? how many fas (or for that manner any public service managers) have gotten a pay rise or a bonus since the last budget?

edit; by the way i ask because anything that happened before the budget is irrelevant

• Advertisement

so they are striking over a pay scandal that was effectively concluded in september?

were are the press releases and statements from the public sector unions saying that this is what the problem is? how many fas (or for that manner any public service managers) have gotten a pay rise or a bonus since the last budget?

edit; by the way i ask because anything that happened before the budget is irrelevant

You might want to check out the central bank too ;) Some shít going on there with managers preaching one thing and doing another, in other words, making serious cuts and taking big pay rises at the same time. Go google it, you won't find a link on it.

Not everyone is going to hear about that either... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

strikes are fine its the unions that are the problem

they cant see past their own noses and if they had any sense they would advise their workers to put up with a year or two of hardship so that the company/country can be saved and they can keep their jobs. then when thigs recover in a year or two the unions can start trying to improve the conditions for their members and spend other peoples money again

striking in this job climate is unpopular because there are hundreds of thousands of people who would take your job in a heartbeat and you should be thankfull to have one

Yes i somewhat agree with this. Personally I would be on the side of the public sector workers but I think their unions do a terrible job of representing them (at least....I think the union brass have motives that are not always in the interests of their members). I also think the pre-emptive strike in december was wrong and I profoundly disagree with any go slow.

Take health care. I don't think they should be out striking about money. But if they feel patients suffer due to cutbacks then I think thats a legitimate strike reason - but the unions never strike on that basis. Also I think there is merit in teachers striking say because special needs teachers and teachers aids were axed - both teachers and students suffer from that. I don't think there is merit in them striking on account of the public sector paycut.

You might want to check out the central bank too ;) Some shít going on there with managers preaching one thing and doing another, in other words, making serious cuts and taking big pay rises at the same time. Go google it, you won't find a link on it.

Not everyone is going to hear about that either... ;)

so there are no press releases or statements from the unions saying this is the reason for the strike then?

so there are no press releases or statements from the unions saying this is the reason for the strike then?

Beats me, I didn't get my information from some third party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

I think people are just pissed at the public servents acting out.

They are only acting out because the bankers started acting out first, at that emegrency meeting demanding that our leader use the country to bailout the banker's bad debts.

That's you, the useless clerk at the front of the bank.

That's you, the accountant for the bank.

That's you the MBA guy hired to audit the bank.

That's all you ****ers.

• Advertisement

Pete4779 wrote: »
    That's you, the useless clerk at the front of the bank.

You might want to explain this part ;)

Beats me, I didn't get my information from some third party.

oh well in that case ill take your word for it :rolleyes:

or i might actually take the unions word for their reasons for the strike(that wouldnt be a third party now that would be unions) and judge them on those and those my friend are BULL****

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Bowlardo wrote: »
    Summed it up in one really! spot on post

it was actually two posts. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭james finn

it was actually two posts. ;)

when i bought my home the banker forced me to sign the forms with a gun to my head, this is why i hate bankers, i had no part to play in buying my home and im not responsible at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

People are pissed with strikes, as strikes are inherently selfish, it's saying to the rest of society that the we the workers will not do what we've agreed and are paid to do but instead hold the rest of society to ransom.

It especially annoys people when the strikers are in a sector which is a monopoly (no one has a choice to not use the government), whose employer raises money to pay these workers by taxation of the private sector's diminishing earnings.

I heard recently that some public sector workers themselves are annoyed with the work to rule and are leaving their union, the reason? Because of the work to rule their fellow civil servants are not processing requests for holidays or flexitime.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

james finn wrote: »
    when i bought my home the banker forced me to sign the forms with a gun to my head, this is why i hate bankers, i had no part to play in buying my home and im not responsible at all

um, i'm sure that made sense in your head...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I love laughing at taxi drivers on strike, complaining about how little work they having but wilfully choosing not to work for a while at the same time

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I wonder what would hhappen if the unemployed went on strike and refused to collect thier dole money.

Degsy wrote: »
    I wonder what would hhappen if the unemployed went on strike and refused to collect thier dole money.

lol the lads who were unemployed since they left school wouldnt get out of bed to strike, we be in trouble if they could.

james finn wrote: »
    lol the lads who were unemployed since they left school wouldnt get out of bed to strike, we be in trouble if they could.

OR we'd be better off if they did!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,172 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

gabhain7 wrote: »
    People are pissed with strikes, as strikes are inherently selfish, it's saying to the rest of society that the we the workers will not do what we've agreed and are paid to do but instead hold the rest of society to ransom.

A tad harsh... some strikes kick off because the conditions and pay that the workers agreed to are being changed by their employers, yet no one seems to mind this happening as much.

I see your point about public service versus private service strikes, though. But at some point you have to wonder: if your (not Gabhain specficially, ´your´ generally) working conditions were threatened, would you strike? Or would you accept the changes? (Conditions, as opposed to pay cuts, which I know a lot people have accepted)

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    if your (not Gabhain specficially, ´your´ generally) working conditions were threatened, would you strike? Or would you accept the changes?

You forgot option 3 - get a new job. I think this is what tends to happen in the private sector. People bide their time and move on to newer and better things.

People bide their time and move on to newer and better things.

And demand ridiculous staring salaries..i remeber we ahd a college graduate applying for a 25 k per year job and him asking could he get a company car to offset the obvious "pay cut" he arrogated upon himself.

Degsy wrote: »
    And demand ridiculous staring salaries..i remeber we ahd a college graduate applying for a 25 k per year job and him asking could he get a company car to offset the obvious "pay cut" he arrogated upon himself.

i work for myself and i cant go on strike and if im out of work i wont get the dole, these strikers should be happy they are better off than most of us.

Advertisement