Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayfield

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

I'm from the Silverheights area and it's peaceful up here. :D

I wouldn't say Mayfield is as bad as everybody says it is. Of course there is trouble the odd time (usually by Looney's) but what can you do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Dudess wrote: »
    Wanna head to the Fob & Gill for drinkies? :pac:

I'm in St. Lukes/Summer Hill, we can set up our own gang ;)
    Seriously though there is a reason they nicknamed it the Rob and Kil...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

tommy21 wrote: »
    I'm in St. Lukes/Summer Hill, we can set up our own gang ;)
    Seriously though there is a reason they nicknamed it the Rob and Kil...

Sadly, that colloquial term lived up to it's name, a couple of years ago...

Sadly, that colloquial term lived up to it's name, a couple of years ago...

Really? Think I remember something about that

Really? Think I remember something about that

It was Miah Dennehy, and he isn't dead. I thought he was, but his assailant left him with severe brain injuries.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

This chap was assaulted in the car park back in August 2007.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

From Wikipedia:
    Its original Irish name - Baile na mBocht (town of the poor) - gives a hint of its history
    :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

That has to be about the worst article on Wikipedia I have ever seen, complete Hogwash ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 kieranmcg2000

Thanks for all the responses guys - given us quite a bit to think about.

I feel like I should give ye a bit more info and see if anything comes to light. My girlfriend and I are moving to Cork after living abroad for a while, and we don't have jobs lined up yet so we are on a tight budget. We're at the age where we want a place to ourselves with a little bit of space and don't want to have to share.

We've been looking for nearly two weeks now and we are having serious trouble getting a place. Anything we see that fits our budget is in a "bad" area, and anything we look at that's higher than our budget, the landlord immediately starts asking questions about rent allowance, and dole, and how we're going to be able to pay for it, even though we're both professionals.

We need an address fast so that we can get ourselves sorted, but we've already been pipped at the post twice on different properties - we were literally handing over deposits when they told us the places were gone - and we're getting really pissed off.

We've seen a house near the Cotton Ball that we liked but, you know yourselves, we could see that the area wasn't the best.

So, we are still undecided on the house, and are at a loss as to what to do now.

What is your rent budget?

• Advertisement

Our budget is €600 to €800 pcm for two to three bed, apartment or house, with as much space as we can get for our money.

We think that's pretty realistic in the current economic climate, but we're just not having any joy.

You should be finding it easy, for that price. My friend is renting a luxury two-bed apartment for €1000 p/m, knocked down from €1500.

Would this suit?

http://www.daft.ie/2864750

Military Hill is part of St.Lukes, which is a nice little area, close to town, nice shops and a good pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭DamienH

Military Hill is a nice area to live alright, good view of the city aswell.

Thanks for that Flamed Diving - although you would be hard pushed to find something on Daft that we haven't looked in to!

We've seen the one on St John's Terrace, the problem with that one is that it doesn't have parking (it says on the ad it does, but they just mean for you to park on the street, you don't have a designated spot) and we suspect the house has a damp issue...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

We've seen the one on St John's Terrace, the problem with that one is that it doesn't have parking (it says on the ad it does, but they just mean for you to park on the street, you don't have a designated spot)
    Whichever house you decide to choose, make sure it has its own parking space. You dont want to go down the parking permit route, they're an absolute pain in the backside. It takes forever to obtain one and you have to change over all your details - insurance, registration book, etc. Then when you do get one, its only a 4 month temporary one and you're not even guaranteed a parking space.

grenache wrote: »
    Whichever house you decide to choose, make sure it has its own parking space. You dont want to go down the parking permit route, they're an absolute pain in the backside. It takes forever to obtain one and you have to change over all your details - insurance, registration book, etc. Then when you do get one, its only a 4 month temporary one and you're not even guaranteed a parking space.

This information is incorrect. You go down to the City Hall, provide proof of address (e.g. bills etc), your registration book for your vehicle and ten euro. The permit itself can take an age to come (6-8 weeks sometimes we have been waiting) but they give you a receipt which you can place inside the car (bit of tape) that performs the same function. Valid for a year. Not guaranteed a parking space alright though but normally its quite a big "zone" and you'll find something.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

Tbh, it's not that bad! I've been in the so called rough parts plenty of times and apart from the fact there is a lot of scumbags, it's just like town! The bus route is fairly handy though does a ring around the CUH and the city centre...

There is some parts that are quite nice and quiet too!

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Mr Cork Man

Try Ballyvolane it's nearby and it's a much nicer area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

True, the OP should if give the choice look at more matured areas. Areas like this are more peaceful and subsequently are more friendly and less stressful. Mayfield is a massive council estate that is constantly incorporating new growing families. A certain amount of these families are single moms with tattoos, Settled travellers with yapping dogs and children.

This kind of area once you get used to it can be OK. But the question to ask is, would you really want to? There is a new generation of teens every couple of years that roam about looking for kicks off of people that are alien to them.

I wouldn't say that the area is full of scumbags, but there are a minority of a few. They unfortunately stand out a lot.

This information is incorrect. You go down to the City Hall, provide proof of address (e.g. bills etc), your registration book for your vehicle and ten euro. The permit itself can take an age to come (6-8 weeks sometimes we have been waiting) but they give you a receipt which you can place inside the car (bit of tape) that performs the same function. Valid for a year. Not guaranteed a parking space alright though but normally its quite a big "zone" and you'll find something.
    I applied for a parking permit in October 08 so for my case it certainly is correct. They give you a temporary four month one before you get a twelve month permit. God if only it was as straightforward as you make it sound!

I copied this off the PRC forum to give you an idea that is the hell of obtaining a parking permit, having applied for one i can totally empathise with the author:

PHONE CREDIT & YOGA
    Firstly put about 50 euro credit on your phone - you're going to be making a lot of expensive daytime calls to various civil and corporate institutions. You will get to know their introduction recordings, automatic menus and on-hold tunes intimately. Furthermore join a Yoga class that focuses primarily on stress relief and be prepared for a lot of walking.

You should allow two months between moving into your new gaf and obtaining a parking permit. You will need to locate a non-disc zone to temporarily park your car. This is tricky because the Corpo have covered most public roads within a few miles of the city centre with parking zones and you may be forced to leave your precious wheels in a dodgy under-age gatting alley or in the open plains of a shopping centre car park to avoid being towed away.

VEHICLE REG. CERT
    You should keep your drivers license in your car at all times but when Murphy's Law applies itself you may have to go rooting in drawers, boxes, cupboards and under beds to track it down. Your "Vehicle Registration Certificate" will be equally elusive - the thing you thought was this precious form turns out to be some correspondence from the tax office.

You have to send this to County Clare to have your wagon's home address altered to your new one. "3 working days" is the alleged turn around time for this but we all know what that means. Several phone calls and weeks later you may eventually get a tattered cert in your door.

CORPORATE HELL
    Next on the horizon is one of Cork's "favourite" institutions: the car insurance company. Trying to get the address of your new gaf on to an insurance policy is a task which you might want to contract out to an independent professional company if you're not short of grade.

While your phone credit plummets and Green Sleeves is on its fourteenth repetition (all the time being patronisingly reminded of how important your call is) you may decided to give up but we urge you not to let them win.

After you have made several curt communications with your sleepy 21 year old 'customer representative' Sharon, who is slumped at her desk somewhere in mind numbing Corporate Hell in an ugly industrial park in Dublin 44, you may eventually receive your first letter.

Peering up from the page is the most enraging mistake any Dublin based company will ever make with a Corkonian:

"32C Eagle Valley Park, Wilton, Co. Dublin"

So now you have to spend more credit to listen to Green Sleeves before you reach another dull listless Sharon who will, to your profound rage, titter about this trivial matter (the story possibly being the highlight of her month) - telling you, as if it was a positive thing, that you will receive a replacement cert in another 5-10 working days.

You're supposed to submit two utility bills in your name with your parking permit application but of course if you've just moved in this is either impossible or going tot take at last eight weeks. The alternative is to get the address on all your bank accounts and credit card changed and then wait for statements.

Keep strong and breathe deep - there's more trouble ahead.
    Your landlord is obliged to join at a cost of 70 euro.

PRTB
    When you have everything complete you will now be ready to approach your landlord to ask them for a copy of his/her registration with the PRTB - the Private Residential Tenancies Board. Big fancy name isn't it?

Every landlord must be registered with them so yours must be too right? One phonecall should sort it out:

"…the wha?"

"The Private Residential Tenancies Board - I need it for me parking permit like."

"Sure joining that that'll cost me 70 euro and I'm doing a dinky doo with the tax on your rent so I can't join that thing. Feck off I repaired the jacks free of charge last week."

No PRTB no parking permit. Many landlords will dig their heels in with this because they won't be declaring your rent for tax. Anything that might lead to a knock on the door from the Revenue Commissioners sends shivers up the spine of every landlord whether they believe they've operated above the law or not.

If you do convince your landlord to join you can also expect a nice lengthy delay between your landlord's cheque being cashed and getting a letter back from the PRTB.
    Old style permits like this are being phased out for new posh ones with shiny foil on them.

Only recently the PRTB added a convenient mention of the €70 fee to their application form. Before some genius at the PRTB came up with this remarkably intelligent idea your excitement at having the final piece of your parking permit puzzle in your hands would quickly turn to disappointment when you opened the envelope to find your application was returned because the fee was not enclosed. What fee!? Start all over again.

Incidentally the PRTB don't have an email address but staff there will allow you to communicate with them on the phone. Bizarrely the Dublin based body hires a separate company to send out its letters of confirmation. As much as this makes them seems like a very silly organisation it allows them to side step liability for the delay. Your stories of tiresome sodden journeys to the extremities of the city to get to your car will be received with little sympathy.

THERE IS HOPE
    At this point you should be quite proficient at the basics in yoga and we would advise you to perform extensive breathing exercises before each call you make to the various institutions demanding to know where the various letters are.

To your relief you will find the staff at the new parking office on Angelsea Street to be helpful and friendly. Unofficially, it seems, they are aware of the circus at the PRTB, and will issue you with a month long temporary permit as long as you have all your other tasks complete. At least you don't have to continue to trek two miles in the rain to your car.

When you bring the final letter of confirmation from the PRTB to the parking office and if you are prepared to stall the beans in the office staff will issue your permit on the spot if there's not much back log.
    Cork's first support group for parking permit applicants meet in St. Vincents hall every Monday night.

The feeling of leaving the parking office with a year long permit (valid only for the next ten months because you've already spent two months tracking down various documents) is a feeling that every Corkonian should experience at least once in their life. We are used to wining in Cork and there can be no victory satisfying than overcoming obstacles but in your path by both public institutions and private corporations.

• Advertisement

No, I simply wouldn't live there. To say it's not as bad as it's made out to be, is to say that it's not as bad as a place with a K in it's name or F, or maybe T. But that's not saying much about the place, when you have to judge it against the lowest common denominator.

Knocknaheeney, Farranree and Togher ?
    Why not mention the full names of the places, referring to them by their first letter doesn't make you any the less narrow minded.

RoverJames wrote: »
    Knocknaheeney, Farranree and Togher ?
    Why not mention the full names of the places, referring to them by their first letter doesn't make you any the less narrow minded.
    I wouldn't call him narrow minded for making an observation, maybe he should be more upfront about it but everyone is entitled to their opinion i think.

I wouldn't call him narrow minded for making an observation, maybe he should be more upfront about it but everyone is entitled to their opinion i think.

Referring to three large superbs as the lowest commom denominator isn't narrow minded ? OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,942 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Grew up in Silverheights. It's grand mostly, although it did go downhill a bit in recent years. There's a new estate - Ashmount, near to Silverheights that looks quite decent and I remember the houses there were reasonably enough priced even during the boom, so it would be worth checking out now.

If you're keen on living in the general area, make sure you include places like "Sliversprings" and "Tivoli" in your search as they'll cover the area as well.

All of these are worth checking out in my opinion:

http://www.daft.ie/2857003
    http://www.daft.ie/2861168
    http://www.daft.ie/2865586
    http://www.daft.ie/2863412
    http://www.daft.ie/2777758
    http://www.daft.ie/2853391
    http://www.daft.ie/2839636
    http://www.daft.ie/2851259

I'd avoid that Byefield place alright.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

Referring to three large superbs as the lowest commom denominator isn't narrow minded ? OK.

I think the point he's trying to make is that those suburbs have a lot of anti-social disorder.

I think the point he's trying to make is that those suburbs have a lot of anti-social disorder.

I'd have to disagree with Togher, for the last 10 to 15 years it is very very quite.

I'd have to disagree with Togher, for the last 10 to 15 years it is very very quite.
    Try hanging out down by Doughcloyne roundabout (near Centra) on an average weeknight, where you can witness the multitude of local teens who in their angst think its a good idea to throw rocks at passing cars. I should know, i've a nice big crack on my windscreen from the little scummers.

Try hanging out down by Doughcloyne roundabout (near Centra) on an average weeknight, where you can witness the multitude of local teens who in their angst think its a good idea to throw rocks at passing cars. I should know, i've a nice big crack on my windscreen from the little scummers.

I regularly jog past that spot, also I often drive past that roundabout on the way to and from the City Bounds pub, I also often pop into the Centra. I would consider the young crowd who hang around there fairly innocent to be honest. You must have been the victim of a rare incident to be honest.

How do you know they were local teens who threw the rocks ? Did the guards confirm that for you or are you just summising ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

A bunch of little scuts engaging in anti social behaviour, which while unpleasant, is not absolutely devastating, does not make an entire area "rough".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 The Barron

Where are the MODS, this post has gone totally off the topic and has ended up as a racist slur on people living in different parts in Cork City.
    There is not a Parish in this City or County that does not have anti social behaviour.
    A lot of these posters should read the court cases in the Evening Echo each night and see the addresses that are used.
    Get away from your laptops and look outside your own door.
    Better still where were your children tonight?
    I’ve worked in all these places (and others not mentioned) and yes there is anti social behaviour going on allover the place but there are plenty of genuine people living in these places also.
    So please give them the credit they deserve.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement