Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Specialized Sirrus Comp 2010?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭damagegt

blorg wrote: »
    All Sirruses come with flat bars, including the 2010 Pro. It is a flat bar bike. You may have been shown a different Specialized with drops- an Allez, Secteur, Roubaix or Tarmac.

There are no significant issues with riding/commuting in traffic with dropped bars. Just a matter of getting used to. There are relaxed geometry bikes that will give you a more upright position closer to a hybrid while still having drop bars (from Specialized the Secteur/Roubaix and for that matter their cross bike, the Tricross.)

To an extent I am not sure there is a lot of point in spending the amount of money on the likes of a Sirrus Pro. What are you getting out of it over the cheaper Sirruses? It won't be faster than even the entry level Allez.

hhmmmm so many choices i dont know what to do now.im new to all this and Im starting to feel a little swamped.Do i buy a road bike?if not will i end up changing?carbon or not?the reason i was going to get the pro was if i ever felt i want to change the bars i could instead of changing to whole bike.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

jusmeig wrote: »
    All the gear in the world is not going to make a ****e bit of difference is you meet the wrong idiot in the wrong place. (Ie woman stepping out from behind a bus)

A hybrid will definitely help to repel women. ;)

damagegt wrote: »
    hhmmmm so many choices i dont know what to do now.im new to all this and Im starting to feel a little swamped.Do i buy a road bike?if not will i end up changing?carbon or not?the reason i was going to get the pro was if i ever felt i want to change the bars i could instead of changing to whole bike.:confused:

Ride a few, see how they feel! Some decisions are not resolvable just by thinking about them. :)

TBH the best thing you can do is buy a cheap second hand bike and try it for a while before you commit yourself to a massive spend. Depreciation on new bikes is horrific.

i have a cheap bike and im cycling 30km every 2 days and its killing me .i do nothing but curse and swear at it the whole time and feel like throwing it over a ditch.I 7km away from home the last time and the peddle broke off!I think the best thing i can do is try some out.What would yours options be on buying second hand?

damagegt wrote: »
    What would yours options be on buying second hand?

Firstly I'd go to a decent shop or two, speak to the salespeople and test ride a couple of new bikes, to get an idea how they should feel. Most importantly, establish what size you need and make you you test a bike of the correct size.

Then have a look around adverts.ie (much improved for cycling) and our own Cycling Adverts subforum for a bike of the correct size.

Ideally for a road bike you want to be paying €250-€400 for something in excellent working order, depending on age and spec. Obviously high end bikes will be more than than, but you don't need one of those.

Feel free to post "is this good value?" questions about ads here, but not on the sales threads themselves (inviting thread spoiling doesn't go down very well, particularly on adverts.ie).

Once you've ridden a couple of new ones and a couple of used ones, you'll have a good feel for what's right for you.

The absolutely worst outcome is to splash a load of money on a new bike, then realise it's either the wrong type or the wrong size (done that myself, expensive mistake).

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »
    Firstly I'd go to a decent shop or two, speak to the salespeople and test ride a couple of new bikes, to get an idea how they should feel. Most importantly, establish what size you need and make you you test a bike of the correct size.

Then have a look around adverts.ie (much improved for cycling) and our own Cycling Adverts subforum for a bike of the correct size.

Ideally for a road bike you want to be paying €250-€400 for something in excellent working order, depending on age and spec. Obviously high end bikes will be more than than, but you don't need one of those.

Feel free to post "is this good value?" questions about ads here, but not on the sales threads themselves (inviting thread spoiling doesn't go down very well, particularly on adverts.ie).

Once you've ridden a couple of new ones and a couple of used ones, you'll have a good feel for what's right for you.

The absolutely worst outcome is to splash a load of money on a new bike, then realise it's either the wrong type or the wrong size (done that myself, expensive mistake).

ok thanks ill take your advice on board and ill hit a few shops today and ask what they recommend and what prices they have and ill get back to ye.

Thanks again everyone. i was losing faith there for awhile.

Advertisement