Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Specialized Sirrus Comp 2010?

Options
  • 19-03-2010 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

Specialized Sirrus Comp 2010, anyone got one?
    Yay or nay?

Planning on using it for commute to work (24k roundtrip) and occasional weekend ride.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭dub50

Have a 2008 Cirrus comp, use it for a 30km round trip commuting to work
    Sturdy bike though did have to replace the wheels as the rear wheel developed a crack when about 18 months old
    There have been some posts on here before (I think) about the Alex rims not being a great wheel

Otherwise no complaints

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭jusmeig

I think their are different rims on the 2010 model.

Never had a crack in a wheel before, have had a few spokes loose and bad buckles but no cracks...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I have Alex rims on my commuter, they are not the toughest but no cracks yet.

Like most road wheels they are not indestructible: weight, riding style (no kerb hopping, dodge those potholes, etc.) and tyre pressure all play their part.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

dub50 wrote: »
    Have a 2008 Cirrus comp, use it for a 30km round trip commuting to work
    Sturdy bike though did have to replace the wheels as the rear wheel developed a crack when about 18 months old
    There have been some posts on here before (I think) about the Alex rims not being a great wheel

Otherwise no complaints

I had trouble with Alex rims on an 08 Sirrus Pro.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=62698797#post62698797

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 SwimBikeRunIRE

Any decent bike shop should be happy to factor in a different wheelset if you are not 100% happy with the supplied set.

You may want to consider some Fulcrum 7's or Mavic Kysrium's, both solid wheels and shouldn't add too much to your bill.

Paul

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 35 scholesy

Hi.I got a new Sirrus Elite Hybrid.I do roughly the same commute (25k round trip) to and from work.Its a grand bike.Easy to handle, light and sturdy. I'd definitely recommend.I got lightweight mudguards as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

Perhaps, cast your mind into the future a bit and see if you have any idea that you might end up doing a bit more. I got a Sirrus a few years ago with the same intention and found quickly that doing sportives was an attractive proposition. After a year of sportives, I upgraded to a road (racer) bike and use that now as my commuter as well.

If you think you'll be just sticking with the commuting and short stuff, I'd say it's the man. If there's a chance that you'll be getting more and more into it, perhaps a road bike is worth consideration.

Thanks for the replies guys.
    Got a Specialized Comp in the end. Great bike, big step up from my globe in terms of the weight/speed.

It has shortened by commute time considerably :)
    Have yet to take it out for a race, but will be doing so soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭budfox

Lads, I see a few of ye have the Sirrus. I bought a rockhopper last year...used it a fair bit but I always bricked about bringing into town cos worried about it being stolen...so just never did. So a few weeks ago I bought a Sirrus. Really nice bike, dead light too..

Question. I'd like to keep that as my commuter (the rockhopper for doing some trails when I can manage it fitness wise)...any thoughts on what mudguards I should use that would work with a rack and pannier?

Also, during the summer I'll be dropping lil fella to school on a Hamax child seat..I'm just thinking would the rockhopper be better/studier than the Sirrus? The wheels are quite lite on the Sirrus.

Sorry for the spa questions but just figure you guys might have racks already and indeed the same issue with the child seat..

BTW, I saw the bike park in Drury st carpark over the weekend when I was passing. It's great...I'll be using it whenever I go into town now....

BBTW, dont buy your derailleur hangers from Cycleways. THey charge E25 for them. In the UK/US the standard price is E10. Rip off...

thanks again....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

SKS Chromoplastics are the best mudguards if you don't want to take them on and off quickly. They are quite a job to get on but once done they stay in place and offer excellent protection. Alternately you can get plastic ones that just clip on or off a bracket attached to the brake bridge- these are a fair bit cheaper and do work OK although not as good as the Chromoplastics.

The Sirrus should be fine for a child seat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,731 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Anyone used the new crud catcher mud guards for road bikes? Was planning to get a set.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭budfox

blorg wrote: »
    SKS Chromoplastics are the best mudguards if you don't want to take them on and off quickly. They are quite a job to get on but once done they stay in place and offer excellent protection. Alternately you can get plastic ones that just clip on or off a bracket attached to the brake bridge- these are a fair bit cheaper and do work OK although not as good as the Chromoplastics.

The Sirrus should be fine for a child seat.

Blorg, thanks for coming back to me. I saw these in town last week. They looked pretty tricky to get on all right..i think you have to cut the stays yourself...?...maybe I can get it done in a workshop somewhere...I saw on the board that there's a great mechanic near artane....

Are the ones?http://www.sks-germany.com/sks.php?l=en&a=product&i=6208801430
    They look a bit like a dutch bike job...what do you think of these?

http://www.sks-germany.com/sks.php?l=en&a=product&i=5289300000

While I have ye, any rack and pannier ideas? ; )

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Anyone used the new crud catcher mud guards for road bikes? Was planning to get a set.
    They don't work well with 700x25c tyres which ruled them out for me. They work well I believe with 700x23c. If you want to buy a completely unused set (fitted rear and took it straight off again, never actually rode the bike with them as it was rubbing) let me know. €20.

If your bike can take real mudguards definitely go for them instead though, I would only consider them for a 700x23 bike with no clearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭damagegt

Sorry if im jumping your thread.but im new in cycling and im cycling 30km every two days on a new but junk heavy bike with springs everywhere you can Imagen.now im not saying i know anything about bikes but i know this isn't what this bike was made for so im looking at the sirrus pro but im not gone on the racing bars,i know the 09 model doesn't have these but what i want to know is are racing bars something ill just have to get used to and if i got the bike with out them down the line will i end up changing them?

damagegt wrote: »
    Sorry if im jumping your thread.but im new in cycling and im cycling 30km every two days on a new but junk heavy bike with springs everywhere you can Imagen.now im not saying i know anything about bikes but i know this isn't what this bike was made for so im looking at the sirrus pro but im not gone on the racing bars,i know the 09 model doesn't have these but what i want to know is are racing bars something ill just have to get used to and if i got the bike with out them down the line will i end up changing them?

The Sirrus 2010 has flat bars?
    I did not buy a bike with racer handle bars as 90% of my commute is done in traffic. With racer bars your position is much lower, so you can't see over cars etc. Like you I have never used anything other than flat bars, so I guess it boils down to what you are comfortable with. Racer bars are better for speed as they reduce your profile, however reducing your profile when flying down the Malahide road in heavy traffic is not a good idea in my opinion!!!!

jusmeig wrote: »
    The Sirrus 2010 has flat bars?
    I did not buy a bike with racer handle bars as 90% of my commute is done in traffic. With racer bars your position is much lower, so you can't see over cars etc. Like you I have never used anything other than flat bars, so I guess it boils down to what you are comfortable with. Racer bars are better for speed as they reduce your profile, however reducing your profile when flying down the Malahide road in heavy traffic is not a good idea in my opinion!!!!
    sorry 09 has flat bars.i think ill stick with that model, is there anything i should watch out for with them?or anything you recommend i change?also were is a good place to pick one up?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,037 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

With racer bars your position is much lower, so you can't see over cars etc. Like you I have never used anything other than flat bars

Then (with respect) you're offering an opinion from a position of ignorance. :)
    Raam wrote: »
    I think a road bike will not impede your visibility in any way.

My missus is a shade over 5 foot tall and has been commuting on her road bike in Dublin City everyday for the last few years.

sorry 09 has flat bars.i think ill stick with that model, is there anything i should watch out for with them?or anything you recommend i change?also were is a good place to pick one up?

I got mine in Cycleways. If u can avail of the cycle to work scheme you get 41% of the price off (Tax relief uo to a grand). Don't know if they have any of the 09 range left, the place was fairly well kitted out with the entire 2010 Specialized range.

With racer bars your position is much lower, so you can't see over cars etc.

Just my opinion on this, but I moved to a Cayo with dropped bars last year from being on a Sirrus and I didn't find that I'm that much lower on the Cayo. I've never measured it and it makes sense that it would be somewhat lower, but I find my visibility isn't hampered at all on the Cayo. If I was in the drops, that's one thing. However, I spend most of my commute time either on the hoods or the tops (depending on the situation, surroundings and my feelings on how quickly I might need to brake.)

Perhaps you could do a sit test on both styles with a measurement of what height your head is at.

Just my opinion on this, but I moved to a Cayo with dropped bars last year from being on a Sirrus and I didn't find that I'm that much lower on the Cayo. I've never measured it and it makes sense that it would be somewhat lower, but I find my visibility isn't hampered at all on the Cayo. If I was in the drops, that's one thing. However, I spend most of my commute time either on the hoods or the tops (depending on the situation, surroundings and my feelings on how quickly I might need to brake.)

Perhaps you could do a sit test on both styles with a measurement of what height your head is at.

the only thing thats stopping me is im very tall and im worried about back pain but then i think thats just in my head from having never used drops before.The price of the sirrus pro 10 is a big jump from the 09 model.

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »
    Then (with respect) you're offering an opinion from a position of ignorance. :)

Point taken, however there is a reason that hybrid bikes have flat handlebars. That reason is to keep the rider upright....so they can see Kamikaze pedestrians. You can see more, and in traffic that makes me feel safer.

I'm 6'2 on a size 61 frame bike, and I can't see over some SUV's, your missus must have a 3 foot long neck :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

With regards the Alex rims I've had a bit trouble with them including buckles, broken spokes and I only noticed noticed a bad crack with one of them a few days ago. In fairness though the rim was around 4 years old and has a lot of mileage so maybe thats the norm?

Point taken, however there is a reason that hybrid bikes have flat handlebars. That reason is to keep the rider upright....so they can see Kamikaze pedestrians. You can see more, and in traffic that makes me feel safer.

I'm 6'2 on a size 61 frame bike, and I can't see over some SUV's, your missus must have a 3 foot long neck :D

Whoa there, she's not my missus yet. There are several divorces in the way of that plan.

You've sort of proved my point, in that whatever height you are there are plenty of vehicles you can't see over. There are much better ways to managing visibility than trying to see over vehicles.

In any case, the difference between a racer and hybrid position is only a couple of cm. If you really need the height just stand up on the pedals.

But yes, people buy hybrids partly for the reasons you describe, which is that they think they'll be be safer.

This is sound advice, and they will do this for you in cycleways. The guy in the shop changed out the stem for the handlebars as I was stretching, and thus lower my position due.

the only thing thats stopping me is im very tall and im worried about back pain but then i think thats just in my head from having never used drops before.The price of the sirrus pro 10 is a big jump from the 09 model.

When I got the Cayo, back pain was one of my concerns and I just decided to go for it. Since getting it, I have felt MUCH more comfortable than I was on the Sirrus. I'm quite ignorant in the ways of bikefit, so I'm not sure if I'm adjusted properly now and wasn't on the Sirrus. Other things that I'd consider to be contributary are the fact that it's carbon fibre and it's such a smoother ride, it's hard to describe and also, I find the slightly more forward position actually stretches my back and possibly contributes to less dull pain in my lower back.

I'm 6'2 on a size 61 frame bike, and I can't see over some SUV's
    You'll never see over some vehicles. Style of bike is kind of irrelevant for this. Style of cycling holds every relevance. If you're passing traffic and it's possible that somebody unseen can walk out in front of you from between cars (I'm thinking the quays and other mostly city centre (Dublin) streets) then you need to adjust your speed accordingly. Being able to see through windows is a help, but IMO not quite enough.

When I got the Cayo, back pain was one of my concerns and I just decided to go for it. Since getting it, I have felt MUCH more comfortable than I was on the Sirrus. I'm quite ignorant in the ways of bikefit, so I'm not sure if I'm adjusted properly now and wasn't on the Sirrus. Other things that I'd consider to be contributary are the fact that it's carbon fibre and it's such a smoother ride, it's hard to describe and also, I find the slightly more forward position actually stretches my back and possibly contributes to less dull pain in my lower back.

Thanks for all the advice lads.Does cycleways stock cayo bikes aswell?would they leave you test the bike first in the shop lets say if i left the money with them?so i could get a better for them.

Thanks for all the advice lads.Does cycleways stock cayo bikes aswell?would they leave you test the bike first in the shop lets say if i left the money with them?so i could get a better for them.

Eurocycles stock Focus bikes (and Felt), Cycleways don't. Maybe ring around a couple to see what's in stock. There have been reports of them providing test rides.

Focus bikes are not the incredible value of a couple of years ago, but they are still competitively priced for a shop bought bike.

sorry 09 has flat bars.
    All Sirruses come with flat bars, including the 2010 Pro. It is a flat bar bike. You may have been shown a different Specialized with drops- an Allez, Secteur, Roubaix or Tarmac.

There are no significant issues with riding/commuting in traffic with dropped bars. Just a matter of getting used to. There are relaxed geometry bikes that will give you a more upright position closer to a hybrid while still having drop bars (from Specialized the Secteur/Roubaix and for that matter their cross bike, the Tricross.)

To an extent I am not sure there is a lot of point in spending the amount of money on the likes of a Sirrus Pro. What are you getting out of it over the cheaper Sirruses? It won't be faster than even the entry level Allez.

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »
    Whoa there, she's not my missus yet. There are several divorces in the way of that plan.

But yes, people buy hybrids partly for the reasons you describe, which is that they think they'll be be safer.

It's all about feeling safer and more comfortable I think. All the gear in the world is not going to make a ****e bit of difference is you meet the wrong idiot in the wrong place. (Ie woman stepping out from behind a bus) My flat handlebars only served to launch me further into the air :)

Good point about speed, I see a lot of near accidents caused by cyclists flying in dangerous areas. I mean you just know they are going to step out....you have a sixth sense....so just slow down :0

Advertisement