Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any sign of an Un-tethered jailbreak/unlock

Options
  • 19-03-2010 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭

I'm sick of having to connect my iphone to my computer everytime it crashes and needs to be reset.

Is there any solution to this.

Also, is anyone else having the same problem with youtube not working and the wifi symbol not appearing on top.

I'm actually tempted to just sell this iphone 3gs and get a nexus one because it's really pissing me off.

/rant

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

I havent jailbroken mine for this very reason. Its interesting though - I've had my iPhone 3 months now and it's never crashed on me. Yet you have, and you said "every time it crashes".. maybe you're better off no jailbreaking it? What do you benefit from it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

i think geohot and the dev team are holding out for FW 4.0 before they release anymore jailbreaks & tethered fix, i'd imagine
    if they came out too early, apple would only patch hardware and software exploits before next major release,
    John_Mc wrote: »
    I havent jailbroken mine for this very reason. Its interesting though - I've had my iPhone 3 months now and it's never crashed on me. Yet you have, and you said "every time it crashes".. maybe you're better off no jailbreaking it? What do you benefit from it?
    you obviously dont know what your talking about, not all iphones have to do a tethered boot, so your talkin sh1te ! tbh, no offense to you,
    there are many many reasons to jb, way more then there are to remain stock iphone, do your research first, your phone mightn't need a tether like this poor fella, mine doesnt, check your serial number

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

John_Mc wrote: »

i assume he's relying on the jailbreak so that he can use his phone unlocked and not tied to an official network.

that's the main reason why people jailbreak (not the only reason though).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

i assume he's relying on the jailbreak so that he can use his phone unlocked and not tied to an official network.

that's the main reason why people jailbreak (not the only reason though).

Yeah unfortunately I'm relying on the unlock.

So I guess I gotta wait around till OS 4.0

Any idea when that 's coming out? June?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

I have the same problem. Would love if a solution was found. Very frustrating having to reconnect everytime your battery dies.

But at the same time, It wouldnt be half the phone without the jailbreak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭keith_d99

I've given up on the whole jailbreak process - for the same reason - my warranty replaced iPhone required the tethered jailbreak - so have given up ... unless something better comes for 4.0

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭garlad

swingking,
    Check this link out:
    http://techpp.com/2009/11/18/gps-wifi-youtube-fix-after-blackra1n-jailbreak-unlock/
    Seems a lot of people had similar issues. I didnt have to after my jailbreak luckily.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I don't see one coming any time soon unfortunately. Someone turned off my iPod in school and I had no music on the bus home. The only reason I jailbroke my iPod is to turn off the bloody rotating to coverflow when listening to music, was a pain in the arse when listening to music in bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

swingking wrote: »
    I'm sick of having to connect my iphone to my computer everytime it crashes and needs to be reset.

Is there any solution to this.

Also, is anyone else having the same problem with youtube not working and the wifi symbol not appearing on top.

I'm actually tempted to just sell this iphone 3gs and get a nexus one because it's really pissing me off.

/rant
    Swingking ..You need to get Push Doctor from Cydia .

Yeah unfortunately I'm relying on the unlock.

So I guess I gotta wait around till OS 4.0

Any idea when that 's coming out? June?

Also you might find one of these a benefit , until (if ever) a new tethered jb is released :

I tried doing that but you have to pay for pushfix.

TBH I think my Cydia is broken. It keeps giving error messages when I try to dowload.

I'll guess I'll have to put up with it until the Dev team comes up with something

thanks for all the replies

• Advertisement

TBH I think my Cydia is broken. It keeps giving error messages when I try to dowload.

Are you trying Cydia over 3G or WiFi ..also I have edited my response ..Get "Push Doctor" I am nearly sure its free.

push doctor fixed the problem. Thanks so much for letting me know

Glad to have helped

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Newport81

I can't find any 'push doctor' in cydia? Has it another name?

smyths wrote: »
    you need to add the www.cmdshft.ipwn.me/apt/ repo
    cydia>sources>add
    then search again !

okay really worried about how pushdoctor may have messed up my iphone.

I had to reset it there about 15 mins ago. I tried the blackra1n jailbreak again and it won't work.

Every time I do it, I 'm stuck on the same screen for about 5 minutes, then the iphone reboots and the itunes symbol comes up

Please help :(

Still having the same problem so any help would be really appreciated.

It stays on the the geohot splash page for over 5 minutes and then nothing happens.

:(

smyths wrote: »

Before installing the Push Doctor, if you have applied PushFix 1.0 on your iPhone, please uninstall it first. Otherwise, you can move on and follow the steps to install Push Doctor.

1. Launch cydia and tap “Manage”, followed by “Sources”

2. Tap “Edit” and then “add” button to add a new repository source (http://cmdshft.ipwn.me/apt/)

3. Tap “Add Source” and you should find a new repository known as “NERV Repository” added to cydia. Tap “Done” and continue.

4. Search for “Push Doctor” to locate the package

5. Tap on the package and then install it.

I had to reset it there about 15 mins ago. I tried the blackra1n jailbreak again and it won't work.

:(

?????????????

Please tell me you didn't restore your phone using iTunes ?

If you did then the problem is not PushDoctor it's the official Apple 3.1.3 firmware that the restore would have installed , making blackra1n useless .

Do you know if CYDIA has your ECID SHSH files saved , it would have said so at the top of the CYDIA page ?
    Or can you remember hitting " make my life easier" when you 1st installed CYDIA .
    There may be a chance you did , if so there may be a chance we can roll back your firmware from 3.1.3 to 3.1.2 and rejailbreak using blackra1n .

I didn't upgrade the iphone to 3.1.3 I'd know for certain if I did.

I did click on the make my life easier button in cydia.

but when I tried to restore back to 3.1.2 it says something about not being authorized to do so.

• Advertisement

1.) what problems do you think push doctor caused?

2.) did you restore your phone in iTunes ?

3.)what exactly is the current state of your phone ?

4.) which guide did you use to try and restore your phone using CYDIA ?

mixednuts wrote: »
    1.) what problems do you think push doctor caused?

2.) did you restore your phone in iTunes ?

3.)what exactly is the current state of your phone ?

4.) which guide did you use to try and restore your phone using CYDIA ?

1. I'm not sure if it's related to push doctor but my phone crashed and rebooted. After which I ran blackra1n but this time it seemed to last a long time with the Geohot screen on my iphone. After what seemed like 4-5 mins, it rebooted again and the 'connect to iTunes screen' came up.

I tried to run blackra1n again but was having the same problem.

I then tried to boot it using redsn0w. Again, nothing happened.

My phone is stuck on restore mode. I have since tried to restore to 3.1.2 but this was denied. I know my shsd or whatever it's called is stored on the cydia because I followed the guide on iclarified.com.

I don't know how to successfully restore back to 3.1.2 to fix the problem. I would never upgrade to 3.1.3

Running OsX Leopard 10.5.8 if that's any use to you

Thanks

it actually says when restoring to 3.1.2

Picture_42.png

1. I'm not sure if it's related to push doctor but my phone crashed and rebooted. After which I ran blackra1n but this time it seemed to last a long time with the Geohot screen on my iphone. After what seemed like 4-5 mins, it rebooted again and the 'connect to iTunes screen' came up.

I tried to run blackra1n again but was having the same problem.

I then tried to boot it using redsn0w. Again, nothing happened.

My phone is stuck on restore mode. I have since tried to restore to 3.1.2 but this was denied. I know my shsd or whatever it's called is stored on the cydia because I followed the guide on iclarified.com.

I don't know how to successfully restore back to 3.1.2 to fix the problem. I would never upgrade to 3.1.3

Running OsX Leopard 10.5.8 if that's any use to you

Thanks

I have been reading up and it seems that you are stuck in a "blackra1n recovery loop" , blackra1n seems to have become buggy ... I know:rolleyes:

More info and some suggestions to resolve here:
    http://modmyi.com/forums/general/701356-blackra1n-boot-loop.html.

Personally I would restore using CYDIA server :
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=64372336&postcount=4

And use Redsnow from there , avoiding blackra1n.

I didn't upgrade the iphone to 3.1.3 I'd know for certain if I did.

I did click on the make my life easier button in cydia.

but when I tried to restore back to 3.1.2 it says something about not being authorized to do so.
    and you did edit the host file ?

BOBBY wrote: »
    and you did edit the host file ?

I edited the host file but I'm still getting the same error message.

I'm wondering if if would be easier to upate to 3.1.3 and then restore back to 3.1.2 but I'm not really sure if that's gonna work.

I'm pretty sure my iphone is bricked and I'm gonna have to wait for the next unlock/jailbreak

Very strange, you can try, it should recover the phone, you'll lose your unlock tho, as the baseband will be updated also and can't be rolled back, o2 are unlocking if you have spent 150 euros with them

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Simon201

I've had to completely restore my phone fortunately only twice since Sep last year and the most recent was last week. This were the steps I took which seems to have brought everything back to normal.
    First of all, phone 'was' on 3.1.2, bought July last year. Blackrained and unlocked. Mac is on 10.6.2, iTunes on 9.0.3. SHSH files were on Cydia.

The 'not eligible for requested build' is almost definitely cos itunes is checking with Apple servers instead of Saurik's servers which is what the host file edit should do.

1. Edited the 'host' file on my Mac, and restarted iTunes.
    2. I cant remember exactly why but I seemed to have needed to put the phone into DFU mode which I did. Some say it does a more complete or fresh install whatever that really means.
    3. Did a complete restore of 3.1.2 using the 'option/alt' key
    4. Loaded phone from previous backup and synced (but not before unchecking all music, videos, pictures and apps etc)
    5. Checked phone was working normally eg wifi and calls etc.
    6. Loaded blackrain and unlocked.
    7. Checked all was good after restart again.
    8. Resynced with all music, vids etc

I edited the host file but I'm still getting the same error message.
    Are you logged in as a administrator when changing the host file ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Simon201

yes I forgot to mention as well on a mac you need Tinkertool to be able to see the file and I had to temporarily change the permissions for the file and folder before it let me re-save to the same location.

Advertisement