Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rock & Metal Pubs and Clubs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Grayditch wrote: »
    Yeah, what where the tunes. Do they have a rock Dj back?

Anthrax, Slayer, Metallica, Saxon, Megadeth and a heap of others I can't remember so it looks like the Rock/Metal DJ is back on for Saturdays at least.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Texas Jack

Pyr0 wrote: »
    Anthrax, Slayer, Metallica, Saxon, Megadeth and a heap of others I can't remember so it looks like the Rock/Metal DJ is back on for Saturdays at least.

Would be delighted if metal was back - what were the crowd like? Was it dark?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

That's cool. Fibbers are going the route of cover bands for the next few weeks I think. Modern stuff, Korn, SOAD, RATM, killswitch Engaged. On The Roxx usually has something going too.

Scene is still ticking over nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Texas Jack wrote: »
    Would be delighted if metal was back - what were the crowd like? Was it dark?

Nice mix, not a massive crowd and it wasn't dark and gloomy but not brightly lit either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

Pyr0 wrote: »
    Nice mix, not a massive crowd and it wasn't dark and gloomy but not brightly lit either.

Trying to get the old crowd back after saying the place was no longer a Rock Bar and now they're regretting that decision. They can go suck a dick. Money grabbing bastids.

• Advertisement

Trying to get the old crowd back after saying the place was no longer a Rock Bar and now they're regretting that decision. They can go suck a dick. Money grabbing bastids.

So where are the old crowd drinking now? Foggy?

So where are the old crowd drinking now? Foggy?

Spread across all places in the city now I think. Personally I drink in the Foggy and On The Rox.
    Don't miss Bruxelles one bit. They'll won't get another penny off me that's for suse.

Spread across all places in the city now I think. Personally I drink in the Foggy and On The Rox.
    Don't miss Bruxelles one bit. They'll won't get another penny off me that's for suse.

I've moved to Smithfield, just around the corner from On The Rox

What's it like?

Is it open every day?

Is it a place to pop in after work?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Decent place. For it's small size, it also has a surprising amount of quality gigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

I've moved to Smithfield, just around the corner from On The Rox

What's it like?

Is it open every day?

Is it a place to pop in after work?

Apparently it's only open for gigs now on Fri and Sat nights but check their Facebook page for confirmation.

• Advertisement

Went to the Mezz on Friday afternoon

Cracking tunes, all pints were 4 euro before 8pm, was quite busy too

To put that into context I dropped into Fitzsimmons for a pint on the way home which is 4 doors down and they were charging 6.90 a pint

Would defo head to the mezz again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Passenger wrote: »
    The Rock bar has been gone ages now though. :confused:

Why do you say that?

Why do you say that?

Because management stated it was a few months after the renovation. They got rid of the jukebox and any other semblance of it being a Rock Bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Turkey Creek

So is it or isn't it playing metal/rock and still being attended by metal folk?

Sounds like a once off. Bringing back rock/metal and not making a big deal out of it would be weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Saturday two weeks back wasn't a once off - it's always been like that.

It might not have a jukebox and I don't know what's played during the week or early at the weekend, but every Friday and Saturday night is a rock/metal DJ. Has always been.

Saturday two weeks back wasn't a once off - it's always been like that.

It might not have a jukebox and I don't know what's played during the week or early at the weekend, but every Friday and Saturday night is a rock/metal DJ. Has always been.

Sounds like they don't even know themselves what kind of bar they're running. Either it's a Rock bar or it isn't. The non-Rock/Metal orientated redecoration, lack of Jukebox and exodus of regulars would indicate that it clearly isn't.

Most people I know are of the mind that they ditched Rock and Metal. It seems weird that so many people think that, if it never changed on the weekends.

Most people I know are of the mind that they ditched Rock and Metal. It seems weird that so many people think that, if it never changed on the weekends.

Even the resident DJ's left as they were instructed not to play anything heavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

As someone down the country when it comes to gig goin mostly means hitting Dublin. Of course these a chunk of the time are not on weekends so ditched Bruxelles for pre or post gig drinkies a long time back. Drink was overpriced and the music I like underplayed; they were a disgrace to the Phil statue outside the door

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 Babalugats

What's this new metal night in Bruxelles of a Thursday? Thought metal was finished with?

facebook.com/events/763101660495927/

Babalugats wrote: »
    What's this new metal night in Bruxelles of a Thursday? Thought metal was finished with?

Just a DJ playing some Rock/Metal does not a rock bar make.

Just a DJ playing some Rock/Metal does not a rock bar make.

They really are getting desperate now.

Not to knock a new metal club, but "Nocturnal Nights". I think all nights are nocturnal.

Also "playing everything from Metallica to Iron Maiden" doesn't seem like a huge scope, but having more option for rock/Metal music in Dublin isn't a bad thing, I guess. We're pretty flush with options, on Thursdays alone.

Between the pubs/ clubs, DME putting on huge names, we have a decent scene here.

I just can't understand midweek club things. A lot of people including myself work and need to be up early during the week.
    Might be ok if yer in college or whatever but doesn't work for me at all.

It all depends on what Bruxelles are happy with. If they think they can just have a rock crowd back just like that, they could be in for a disappointment.

If this night doesn't plan on catering for students, which involves playing must after 2005, Kerrang T.V hits and NEW METALLICA, as well as dropping drink prices, then the best they can hope for is post-gig groups looking for a drink after a show.

They're possibly the furthest "metal night" from Voodoo/On The Rox, Academy, Three Arena, geographically, so... they'll need some amount of promotion, I guess.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 Babalugats

Where are all the old Bruxelles metal heads drinking now?

Where are all the old Bruxelles metal heads drinking now?

At home.

When their kids go to bed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

At home.

Probably in their 50s

Advertisement