Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which satellite system to install in Motorhome

Options
  • 18-03-2010 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭

We need to get this fitted asap. Which is the best system to get?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭aerosol

Depends on your budget and needs. Do you want a fully auto system? A crank up?
    We watch so little tv when in the van buying a proper system couldn't be justified.I have a maxveiw dish n tripod using an old sky box as a receiver.Using a compass only it takes me a few mins to set up.Problem with this is we usually want to watch it when its raining which means getting wet setting up!

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Bessa

Hi we have what you have already, but we want to get an automatic system fitted. Its not that we watch a lot of TV, but like to keep up to speed with whats going on in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭KoNiT

but like to keep up to speed with whats going on in the world.

then get a laptop with mobile broadband.. would be better off..:D
    :)
    Note - if you get an auto system, I've an Oystersat (was on it when I bought it)
    You'll need Jacks on the camper for windy weather or it'll be loosing signal on the windier days & then tracking for a signal... :mad::pac:
    :p
    maybe the newer models aren't as bad..

excuse the smileys... :confused: my son is :mad: on the mouse;) ;) i type...
    ;);) :cool: & :eek: I think I'll be all day trying to change the post!!
    :cool::P

We are thinking of the Camos dome satellite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭irishrver

we have the camos dome in motion system and are very happy with it we purchased it through aertec into our 2nd year now, had one on a tripod before very neat and tidy setup when stopped turn off the search facility or every time the camper rocks it searches again the motor's are noticable at night/quiet, while in motion it works about 85% of the time every time the view is blocked by bridges and trees buildings etc lining the road you will lose picture on south bound legs of your journey if you cannot see the sky to the South East niether will your sat you will also not get rte and BBC in the south of France or Northern Spain after 7.30 at night something about broadcast signal strength all others seem to work we take the multi-room box from the house when we go other wise I have a free view box in there it gets all the BBC ITV CH4 etc you will need inverters etc to power all this unless you only intend to use it when parked and connected

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

I've fitted the Dome , the OysterSat and the new CarBest one , the Carbest is the cheapest and seems to work just as well . Needs less room to swing around on the roof than the Oyster sat.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭bido

The camos is the best great price fitted from Aertec in co. meath.the wind wont affect it.

Liam does great work , and is brilliant at what he does , but he sells more than Camos for a reason! The dome is expensive , and has a small dish inside . Compared to the Oyster 65/85 or the Carbest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭niloc1951

I have on of these http://www.maxview.co.uk/products/info_B2590.html
    It will pick up RTE, BBC, ITV, as far south as a Barcelona, all the south coast of France and over as far as Austria and up to Denmark, it will pick up a lot of the other Sky channels right down to the south of Spain and the Algarve.
    Even though its a manual system, after a little practice you can lock on to a satellite within a minute, a lot faster than some of the auto systems, AND because its manual there are no complicated electrics to go wrong.

yup I've fitted them too , and they do work well . End of the day , whether its manual or auto , it's just a dish and LNB , so any of them will bring in a signal . The Auto just makes finding it easier!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    yup I've fitted them too , and they do work well . End of the day , whether its manual or auto , it's just a dish and LNB , so any of them will bring in a signal . The Auto just makes finding it easier!
    I have one of these http://www.promaxprolink.com/accessories/ms-250.htm fitted, they can be left permanently fitted in line as they let the signal pass through without loss. They make finding the signal so easy when used in conjunction with the 'signal test' screen from the decoder, usually less than one minute. In weak signal areas I can often get a signal when 'neighbours' with auto systems can't get a 'lock on'.

Thank you all for your help, we will have the Camos fitted.

One advantage of the Camos , on blustery days like today , you'll have no problem with the picture "freezing" .:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Elizabethw

Hi, can you tell me where to get info on the CarBest system?

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Betsy Og

Got one a while back, got TV guy to tune it in from his home satellite dish.

So I have all the channels tuned in on the box only to get a lock on the satellite. Tried it for half an hour one evening but no luck. Any tips? Anyone have success with the Lidl system? Also got a full size dish from Lidl with another decoder box - if I used that would it make it any easier?

Would the digital compass thing be any good?

Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Ive the lidl setup on our van...literally takes 2 minutes to set it up.
    It U-bolts onto the bike rack with wing nuts very easily.

I just take note of a few dish orientations prior to parking up so i know roughly what direction i should have the back of the van facing and its simple from there.

A few weekends ago after setting up the van realised i needed to take a spin to the shop...when I came back I reversed in over the tyre marks i had left earlier, turned on the TV and sattellite was lined up perfectly!!

Marty.

Marty,

So basically you tilt it a bit over and back and a bit up and down and someone in the van says yes, back a bit etc etc ?? I tried that for a good while but, though close once, I couldnt seem to crack it.

Just trial & error, no other tricks??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭meercat

betsy.

i have one also.i can set it up on the dinette table facing out the side window,(it also works through the front windscreen)this way i can adjust it while watching the tv myself.this way also prevents the wind blowing the dish over.

start by trying at home or beside existing dish to give you general direction of satellite.dish should generally be level or slightly down

turn astra 2 on by pressing p+ or p- button
    find bbc1 london(station 0001)
    press info button
    you should get information screen
    press 1(buzzer sounds/the pitch will change as you get closer to satellite)
    move dish slowly (less than inch)wait 2 secs before move again
    after moving dish all way round ,if you havnt received signal,tilt dish slightly and repeat process
    keep trying and patience is a virtue
    signal intensity should be 65% or greater
    as you get nearer satellite quality should improve(above 65% is good enough)
    when you find satellite press info again(note astra 1 and astra 2 are fairly close so be sure you have locked on to astra 2 for better tv stations.

just to echo the point practice setting up as much as you can in a spot where you know you can receive a signal and in no time you will be able to set up in minutes.
    it may be an idea to connect to an existing satellite dish set on astra2 just to familarise yourself with the workings of your decoder.

What meercat says is spot on...the level to slightly downward facing dish is key, this way you only have to concentrate on one plane.
    Didnt realise it would work inside the cab!!

When i pack up my dish i never loosen the nuts that determine its "up/down" angle...again this speeds up the whole process as i only have one plane to worry about assuming im parked up pretty level(not on a hill!!)

The way we usually do it is i ring the missus whos in the van watchin the telly, i stick my phone on speaker phone so i can have my hands free and she tells me when its locked on.
    (the reason for this madness is the young fella is usually just gone to bed when we set the dish up and shouting out the window aint an option...but it works just fine as nuts as it sounds!!)

Marty.

Thanks for all the tips guys, looking forward to cracking it.

Re being parked level, I suppose the thing to do there is have a small spirit level, make sure the base is level, tune in the dish, tighten the wingnuts so that angle wont ever change, so then when you set the base to level the next time you know the tilt angle is correct (ok if you go on the continent the angle changes I suppose).

1 last thing - I presume if you take a Sky box and sky card it should work just as well off the Lidl dish, after all once you find the Astra 2 and the feed works then the Sky box is basically just a different decoder from the Lidl one.

Must beg/borrow/steal the folk's Sky card for foreign trips (& maybe box - we have a 'freeview' skybox at home but gather the sky cards are now gone 1 box only), seems to be the only way to get RTE abroad - cant be missing me GAA matches !!! Will be great when/if RTE go on freeview, can then dispense with the old aerials.

• Advertisement

dont worry too much about level parking.you will never get 2 sites bang on.
    you can take your sky box with you
    dish needs to be tilted up the further south you go
    struggled to get astra 2 south of bordeaux though,you need bigger dish
    got rte radio on lidl dish in france
    got astra 1 further south.i am sure german tv will show world cup

Meercat..u say u got RTE radio on lidl dish, i never noticed radio stations on it,is there just a menu for them i need to go into?
    Cheers,
    Marty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

martyc5674 wrote: »
    Meercat..u say u got RTE radio on lidl dish, i never noticed radio stations on it,is there just a menu for them i need to go into?
    Cheers,
    Marty.

yes marty their is an option on the remote to change to the radio stations you must not have noticed it you can get all the rte,s plus lots more pat Kenny in bordeaux

cheers for that..never spotted it(probably never looked for it either!!)...will be handy in France in the summer

yaeh .the radio gave news from home and mrs meercat kept up to date with the soaps.see lidl are doing them sats again

Elizabethw wrote: »
    Hi, can you tell me where to get info on the CarBest system?
    what would you like to know?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭YohanCabeye7

Hi, about the carbest antennae/satelitte, can't find any information about them on the web, is it automatic? is it foldable? how much are they roughly?

Just back from France and the Camos worked very well indeed.

Hi, about the carbest antennae/satelitte, can't find any information about them on the web, is it automatic? is it foldable? how much are they roughly?

It's very like the Oyster in appearance and operation . But a lot cheaper!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Sorry to drag up an oldish thread, but I was wondering how much (roughly) the dome systems cost including installation...
    Even just a ballpark figure....

Advertisement