Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Green Diesel Fine?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

niall_f wrote: »
    You can save a lot through this but also if gardai will catch you than you may have problems and pay big fine, but i think it's viable and you should try : )

Modenote: advocating or encouraging illegal behaviour is against the Charter. If anyone continues on this line of discussion they will be banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭rosco p coltrane

maxer68 wrote: »

All diesel in Ireland is the same, comes form same refineries and sometimes some brands add a lillte of what they call magic potion to theirs, but apart from that there is zero difference between diesel from Topaz, Applegreen, Amber, Texaco etc.

I would have to seriously doubt this.

I drive a 14 year old, 2 ltr, turbo diesel. Tank takes 60 ltrs. Mostly motorway miles. Never going over 100kph. Never tearing the ar*e out of the car.
    I checked all the suppliers for MPG.

Applegreen / Tesco : 520 miles
    Topaz / Esso / Maxol : 570 - 585 miles (Maxol gave me 580 miles from 58 ltrs)

In my case, 58 litres @ .2cent (difference between apple/tesco and the main players per litre of fuel) is €1.16.

Can't see €1.16 getting you between 50 - 65 miles. In todays market a litre of diesel is €1.40 (ish). I'm getting around 10 miles to a litre. I'd need to be seeing a saving of €7.00 to make the change to the cheaper stuff. Have never shopped their since.

Just don't go near Great Gas, never mind Emo in Dromore West. (490 miles to a fill!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

I would have to seriously doubt this.

You can doubt it, but the facts are it primarily comes from whitgate refinery in Cork.

After refining, some of the brands add additives which they claim give extra mileage and they claim scientific proof of this. The brands are Topaz, Maxol, Esso & Texaco.

If you drive a lot, (as you do) you will probably notice the difference (as you ahve) as these additives perform best on open raod driving and are less noticeable in urban driving.

But prior to additives been added after the refinery process, the diesel is all identical.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

maxer68 wrote: »
    You can doubt it, but the facts are it primarily comes from whitgate refinery in Cork..

More is imported refined than comes from Whitegate but the point still stands that there's only a very limited supply of identical-on-delivery fuels in this country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭crisco10

Picked up rental car, got dipped. Green diesel found. Is there anything I can do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

crisco10 wrote: »
    Picked up rental car, got dipped. Green diesel found. Is there anything I can do?

If you have the necessary receipts indicating the car was full when you got it and you can account for all fuels used while the car was in your possession, you should be OK.
    Sounds like the previous renter, or the rental company (unlikely, though) filled the car up cheaply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

The government should allow commercial haulage companies use green diesel just like they allow farm vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    The government should allow commercial haulage companies use green diesel just like they allow farm vehicles.

100% agree with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

now that theyve went and made sure only companies get commercial tax on vehicles , they should just allow any vehicle commercially taxed to use green or some other sort of discount fuel, even some sort of revenue smart card which allowed you a certain amount of tax off a number of litres (depending on vehicle class) would be good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

And miss out on the millions they already make from them in fuel excise. If you looked at the figures the bulf of revenue from fuel comes from haulage companies. I think a lot of people are forgetting that trucks when the fill up are filling tanks that are 500 litres approx and more for trucks that go on the continent. So when you think about it if for arguements sake there is 90c per litre goes to revenue thats 450 euro a fill going to revenue now multiply that by the amount of the trucks on the road and its easy to see why that will never happen.

I have hears in recent times of haulage contractors sending over tankers to other countries where diesel is cheaper and bringin back thousands of litres for use in thier own trucks, Im not sure of the legalities but if its not not illegal you can be sure the revenue people will put some sort of tax on that too..

I have worked a lot around trucks over the years and a trick Ive seen some lads so is to have another diesel tank fitted inside the truck under the bunk that they wold fill with green diesel and use on the road, the normal tank would have a fill of ordinary diesel which if dipped would show no traces of green. Only problem with this is that if there was a problem with the engine the cab was near impossible to lift as the rams couldnt take the extra wieght.

An honest gesture by the governemnt would be to allow a rebate to haulage contractors on thier fuel if they were big consumers, it would actually bring in a few jobs too Id imagine as the overheads for the haulage contractors would go down, hence letting them bid a bit lower for work which if they got the job would hopefully allow for hiring a few more drivers. I cant see it happening though as the state this country is in at the moment any loss of revenue would mean tax hikes or they getting it elsewhere..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

I have hears in recent times of haulage contractors sending over tankers to other countries where diesel is cheaper and bringin [sic] back thousands of litres for use in thier own trucks,.........

Who told you this? And you believed it?

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭kakashka

Stinicker wrote: »
    Agricultural Diesel is the exact same fuel as Road Diesel and is compliant with all Environmental Regulations as new Tractors have to comply with emissions targets like cars, the difference is the dye and the reduction in price. It is no different to ordinary diesel, the dangerous fuel is washed fuel which is illegally laundered Green Diesel with the dye removed using sulphuric acid, this stuff will cause you the world of problems and you'd be better off on Green or White than this because normal Diesel will not be contaminated.
    Agri diesel was not the same as road diesel here and is only just being phased out from now on(some suppliers still supplying the high sulphur stuff) and it is dangerous in modern car engines but mostly because the high sulphur will destroy cat converters etc,while a lot of modern tractors are low emission(EU but not irish law) agri diesel here has not been and has caused serious problems with some modern agri engines,the new agri diesel will simply be low sulphur road diesel with dye added (which may cause problems for older tractors)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Bigjohn31

Hi folks. Quick question on the green diesel.

What happens if a car from the north fills up with green? Surely the Irish c&e can only prosecute if they catch u in the south and then the uk c&e shouldn't be able to prosecute either as if caught in the north u are surely cant be fined for dodging uk tax as u haven't got red diesel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭scoobymunster

Where were ya caught? It's irrelevant if the dye is green or red. If you are dipped in RoI in a NI reg/ RoI reg in NI and they detect your using agri diesel then they'll still prosecute you. Colour of the dye means nothing, if the tax hasn't been paid on the fuel when it should be expect a lighter wallet on the way home:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

bonzos wrote: »

these sort of guys get off handy and the damage that their fuel is causing is causing motorist thousands,i can speak from experience.
    why are fuel outlets not tested weekely

• Registered Users Posts: 1 colinw839

Will it pass a nct with green in it? It never had it in it before and he ran out of disel today and car in for nct tomorrow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

colinw839 wrote: »
    Will it pass a nct with green in it? It never had it in it before and he ran out of disel today and car in for nct tomorrow?

Yes it will.

Advertisement