Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peugeot 501 frame from 1988

Options
  • 16-03-2010 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭

This is my original 'good' bike, bought in 1988 in the bike shop in Maynooth.
    It was originally a Peugeot Triathalon model, but was (framewise) identical to all the other Peugeot 501 Steel frames in the market. The spec on the bike was fairly average for a sports bike back in the late 80's - Weinman brakes, Stronglight chainset, sachs gears.
    I had slowly but surely upgraded the bits to Shimano 600 Front mech, suntour Sprint rear mech, MKS clipless pedals and even by early 90's Shimano 105 aero brakes and calipers!
    A good buddy had the Shimano 105 equipped bike, and that was a lot nicer than mine:o

It had sat in the shed at home for many a year, only being taken out now and then for a bit of general maintenance and what not.
    About 6 or 7 years ago, I had it resprayed and gave it to the aul man, who used it once!
    So a few months ago, someone popped up on the FS section, looking for an old steel frame bike, so pm sent - offering the bike for a song, but no reply:confused:

so then I ahd the idea, why not do it up again, and get the old bike back on the road myself!
    (Mrs. Gman2k was not too happy hearing about bike no 7 - but I explained that it was actually my own old bike and sentimentality and what not.)

So, as I always admired the Carrera bikes from mid to late eighties for some reason (thanks Stephen Roche), I decided to get it resprayed in Carrera colours of the time.
    Whilst peugeot did actually have bikes in the Carrera colours of the time and were raced professionally, they were probably 531 pro, or SLX or some other exotica of the era:)

So, after strypit paint stripping, sanding, Jenolite rust killing and priming myself, I handed it over to a professional sprayer and I got it back today :D

4439298308_9023a19e04_o.jpg

4439297606_162f7fa7c8_o.jpg

4439297394_83d51c3a2a_o.jpg

I'm gonna build it up over the next few weeks, but be warned it won't be a NOS build, as I've decided to go relatively modern. (I'm on a budget here folks)
    There will be a black Rolls saddle, but it's now going to be an 8 speed, with Shimano rear mech and down tube shifters. The almost original 105 brakes are going back on, as will the Shimano 600 front mech, Campag Mirage chainset (bargain £20 from Graham Weigh cycles) and new set of Wheels from CRC will just about complete the mix!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

Looks great gman2k, keep us posted. Below is a copy of Roche's bike from 1987.
    107862.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Stop bringing your sexy old skool frames to bed or Mrs. gman2k will be even more pissed off.:D

Can't wait to see the completed build,just don't go too modern with it.;)

Seeing all these frames brought back to life makes me want to get the finger out and do up a Barry Hoban bike I have buried in the shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 landel

I must say that frame looks absolutely amazing. Best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

WOW .... Great job so far keep us posted on further developments.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

That will be a sweat ride !! will love to see the pics when its built up, if i had space for another bike id love a classic ride something like that built with campy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Very nice paint job, good luck with the build.

While over on eBay today, someone got a sweet frame for a tidy price. Not me though.:(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

I dream of an old Peugeot ... my size ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

I think once the word fixed or fixie gets put into the title of an ebay frame sale, the interest is increased a huge amount.
    I think there should be a quota on the amount of old steel frames being converted to fixed!
    What's wrong with people buying a nice cheap alu frame like this for £93

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

In one way its good as it preserves some really quality steel frames that would otherwise end up in a skip and if and when the fixie fashion wanes they may be built up with new road components. Those 753 frames mated to quality new components would make seriously nice road bikes. Light too. I'd reckon 16 lbs if you went mad on the components. I'm estimating that on the basis of a guy I knew in the 80's with a 753 frame with so so components of the time that was 17 and a bit lbs(we were all :eek: at the time :D), so it may actually go lighter again with new stuff.

But yea it drives the price up. Auction sites have done that across the board in lots of areas of collection and interest. Where once bargains could be had, now you have to look a lot harder.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

The problem with many of those frames is the SH*T finishes on them imo, if i could get a 753 frame for the same price i'd be al over it. Must agree though would be great to see more of them rebuilt as geared bikes

yeah but a 753 going for 92 squid is a rare beast!

I know, i have spent many an hours trawling through ebay for such a deal,
    I have come across this unlikely find though. Ti raleigh dyna tech, is it my ignorance showing or does that seem unlikely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

abcdggs wrote: »
    I have come across this unlikely find though. Ti raleigh dyna tech, is it my ignorance showing or does that seem unlikely

Tis gone. I had intended on getting that at the weekend. Seemed to be the perfect price after the 40% discount. £15 postage too. Think it was a fair price for the Raleigh, no? They didn't have an amazing rep but believe they were decent weight and strength?

I hadn't realised Ti had been around for that long, I had though it was only a relatively new innovation in the cycling world. In that case it looks like a steal at that price

Agreed, main prob trying to get frames etc seems to be shipping. Some really take the pi$$ on postage, especially if they include the words "fixie" or "fixed gear" in the description. At the same time you can find Dolan frames for a half decent price.

Shipping is definitely a bit of a disaster on ebay, i paid €6 to get something shipped from hongkong and €12.50 for something of similar size from dublin. MADNESS!

Imagine all the nice track frames that could be picked up from Japan.

gman2k wrote: »
    yeah but a 753 going for 92 squid is a rare beast!
    Ive seen a fair few for around the 100-200 mark in the last year. The 753 bit isnt as recognisable to many of the younger types I suspect. Columbus tubing much more known, especially in the US, where the italian steel stuff is highly prized. In my memory, columbus stuff was v rare in ireland in the mid 80's. Mostly reynolds stuff. The italian stuff was mad money and the only marque I ever saw for sale here was Rossin in hardings on the quays. It was near double the cost of the reynolds based stuff.

753 was well known for being a bit delicate though. Strong, but dont get a dent in it kinda thing. Wouldnt want to be a heavy rider either. Have an old typed reynolds info sheet on the various grades and 753 was described for race use by a lighter rider. Interestingly they advise seat stays mounted to the side of the lugs not shot in ones for better service life. The lightest of all was 753T for trialling. But you would want to be kate moss wearing helium knickers on a smoooooth road for that :D
    They seem to come along a fair bit. They had a really bad rep for failing though. the glue(yep glue) at the lugs would let go and game over. The bottom bracket being a common place for failure. I seem to recall they werent the stiffest in the world either. Very floppy. Like a lot of the early TI stuff. The really early aluminium stuff from Vitus etc was even worse. Didnt stop Sean Kelly though...

• Advertisement

A lot of the better riders I knew back in the day were on the Columbus drug, SL and SLX in particular.
    I remember Philip Casssidy's Tomassini, and a good few Paganinis - one in particular was a pink SL :). There was also a lot of Gazelles around them days and Batavus was known also.
    The Raparee frame builder guy used to stick to Reynolds IIRC, and and remember a lovely 531c in particular he made for a guy in Donadea I used to ride with.
    I only knew one guy (sadly he died a few years ago) on a Vitus, and he kept that purely for race days.
    There was also a Peugeot aluminium frame that was in the shops, but you could completely dissamble the frame, as it was some allen key type construction at the lugs, they didi not last long in Ireland due to the poor roads :rolleyes:
    You can be guaranteed that a lot of the above exotica is still lying at the back of sheds somewhere......

A lot of the better riders I knew back in the day were on the Columbus drug, SL and SLX in particular.
    You musta hung around with a better class of character :D. Or after my time. Early mid 80's the columbus stuff was something you would look twice at.
    There was also a Peugeot aluminium frame that was in the shops, but you could completely dissamble the frame, as it was some allen key type construction at the lugs, they didi not last long in Ireland due to the poor roads :rolleyes:
    and they were like rubber too. I sat on one for about half a mile and couldnt believe the flex. Apparently the walls were too thin and the tube size was pretty much the same as steel. hence blancmange. Then they had the first carbon frames. did the same thing. same diameter as steel. Remember reading about lots of sudden failures. Maybe thats were the notion of carbon being a bad plan took root?
    You can be guaranteed that a lot of the above exotica is still lying at the back of sheds somewhere......
    +100 You may need to sit down.... I know of a guy who cleared out his shed and broke up and threw in a skip, a raleigh road ace(shimano AX aerodynamic yoke) and a raleigh team 753 bike, full campagnolo super record groupset(the latter was pretty mint I gather)*. :eek::eek::eek: They belonged to his brother who had long gone off the cycling, figured they were "just old bikes" and off they went. He was sickened when I typed vintage campagnolo into ebay.

* they were sooooo stable downhill.

Anyone know where original 80's style Coca-Cola bidons can be sourced, the 'bay is no good this time:(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,909 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Is 501 a good frame then? I dont really have a clue about them, I ask because I got one of these for cheap the other day:

%21Bmcjo5wB2k%7E$%28KGrHqMH-CsEtrjEoZm1BLfogLiklw%7E%7E_12.JPG

And Im fixing it up, it has the same badge as the one in this pic:

4439298308_9023a19e04_o.jpg

Is it some kind of timeless good design like certain cars or was it just good for the eighties and poor by todays standards? Im guessing they were made by the same company and bought by different bike manufacturers?

Anyone know where original 80's style Coca-Cola bidons can be sourced, the 'bay is no good this time:(

Large model on ebay.fr

I won't even bother posting a link for the small version on ebay.com going for $40.:rolleyes:

Thargor,
    501 is simply the Reynolds tubeset that is used to make the frame (and usually only the three main tubes)
    It was a entry level steel tubeset, and sat below amongst others at the time
    Reynolds 753, 653, 531 pro, 531 c and 531.
    There was other Reynolds tubesets below this - I think I had a Dawes 500 frame for a while.
    Have a look here at modern day Reynolds Steel offering.
    So, in essence, it was not the 'best' tubeset of the day by a long shot, but not the 'worst' either.
    However, my 501, and yours will probably still be around in 20 years time - if looked after!
    I can't see if your frame is lugged from the photos, mine is lugless, all tubes butted together and brazed, which wasn't really common in mid to late eighties!
    Can't say that about many of todays composite frames! I have an aluminium/ carbon frame from 5/6 years ago with what looks like a crack on the head tube welding, and I may try and get it assessed to find out if it's repairable.

Large model on ebay.fr

I won't even bother posting a link for the small version on ebay.com going for $40.:rolleyes:

Yaar, if I had known years ago that small coke bidons would be making so much moola now!:eek:
    I might have to have a root around the back of the press in me folks gaff, never know what could be there!

Yaar, if I had known years ago that small coke bidons would be making so much moola now!:eek:
    I might have to have a root around the back of the press in me folks gaff, never know what could be there!

Well I think that seller must be trying to support an expensive crystal meth addiction. Stupid price but I know what you mean,I've chucked a few away in my day too.(note to self keep everything bike related and unbox in 20 years):D

Here

• Advertisement

Thanks, but nothing like the orig 80's style coke bidons

Advertisement