Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watts per kilogram

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

Wondering where you finished off at the end of 2010 did you get your targets ?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,015 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

levitronix wrote: »
    Wondering where you finished off at the end of 2010 did you get your targets ?

I finished 2010 injured, with suspected ITBS.

I'm currently planning* a comeback to mediocrity, under the supervision of a physio who I will pay attention to this time.

On the upside, I'm quite proud to have acquired an overuse injury. That's got to count for something, right?

Recommendations for Dublin physios with proven success treating ITBS with a remedial/preventative approach would be welcomed.

I'd be most interested to hear of physios who are able to do gym-based sessions, as I feel that I probably need a programme with a bit of "grrrr" rather than boring balance ball/foam roller stuff. I have a few kg to spare, so a bit of useless muscle won't slow me down much.

What I've learned is that power-based training is all very well, but you can't go faster if you're injured.

* Planning as in "currently staring at the last Roses in the tin, which I've managed to finish off in a dedicated solo effort over the past couple of weeks". From here the only way is up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

You took weeks to eat a tin of roses? *shakes head*

• Registered Users Posts: 7,579 ✭✭✭uberwolf

I have personally found Aidan in Pearse Street Physio to be excellent. And I have recommended him to others who have said likewise.

http://www.pearsestreetphysio.com/about_us.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

I found Aidan in Pearse St good too. Can't remember if you've been to Irish Fit or not- ultimately that's what resolved my ITBS- he diagnosed a leg length discrepancy and recommended some shims for the shorter leg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

I have been to a few physios in Dublin since I injured my knee, and by far the best have been Sports Med in Kildare St. They have a couple of gyms in the building, and my sessions have all involved the gym instead of lots of the soft tissue work the other physios seemed to prefer. I was given a plan consisting of circuits I can do at home at few times a week (the physio I went to post-op kept suggesting I joined a gym and only gave me very basic exercises to do.)

I have seen a significant improvement in just a couple of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭dermabrasion

This was an awesome thread. Did you do it again?
    I think your FTP was fairly impressive. Did you move up from A4?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,015 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Did you move up from A4?

Yes and no. Had fun in the A4 races though my tactics were crap, crashed a bit, had some back problems, took a season out, registered an A3 license with no training, got dropped from a couple of hilly races, then switched back to club league racing which I've been doing on and off since.
    I think your FTP was fairly impressive.
    Well, when I had it measured in a lab in 2010 my Tlac was 262W, a good bit below what I thought it was as the time - I was having no difficulty doing 300W for 15 mins or so according to both Quarg and Power2max meters on my bike.

I know a few people who have done better than me at racing with about that FTP, but they're all lighter, and I still think that 4W/kg FTP and 5W/kg for 5 mins is where racing becomes fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭dermabrasion

Just getting into power measuring now having 2 years of being A4 pack fodder. I always thought I was fairly strong but too heavy (86-88kg racing). I do a reasonable TT for semi-limit. But the power meter is telling me that actually I'm buggered. I can put out 320-330W for about 10-12 minutes, and my FTP is now 270W and slowly getting better. So, I really not that strong, but OK. It means for A4 races around Leinster, I can keep up. But when the road goes up, I'm screwed as a 3.2-3.5W/kg is not going to cut it.
    Thankfully, the skinnies rarely seem to push advantages going over drags or short sharp climbs. Sometimes they do push on but I find I can hang on and catch up on the downhill, but the effort will take a toll.
    Sounds like a confession.

Plan: loose weight!

Advertisement