Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terrible game that everybody loves?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,340 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I could never get into Deus Ex or System Shock II and i know people have these on top of their "hugs every night before going to bed" list

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Skerries wrote: »
    I could never get into Deus Ex or System Shock II and i know people have these on top of their "hugs every night before going to bed" list

With regard to those two games it you the problem lies with and not them.

Bioshock - an ok looking fps game with a very meh story. Added nothing new to the fps genre yet people rave about it like its the second coming.

Bioshock 2 - an expansion pack billed as a sequel. Award for least interesting player controlled character in any game Iv every played.

GTA 4 - way to suck all the fun out of the franchise Rockstar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

It has to be halo for me, with the exception of ODST I never enjoyed a halo game, and in that case it was all down to the side quest with the phone booth things(Sadie's story?), and the music-which was ****ing amazing.

But I think the problem is that the series wasn't made for me or people like me, the purist console shooter design of it just got to me, growing up on the pc I couldn't help but feel hand held when everything that was happening happened in the viewport and was very very bluntly signposted. The swimming through jelly feel didn't help.

Now killzone 2, that was a terrible ****ing game, and I feel comfortable saying that objectively too. The melee attack took ages to hit, the friendly AI was retarded, going into cover left you partially exposed, and whatever parts were exposed seemed magnetic to the bullets of that enemy with the ****ty sub machine gun half a mile away. The characters in it were cardboard, and when I saw my own guy in a cutscene later on in the game it actually took me some time to realise I was using him.

The graphics were alright though, I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

I think i'd probably agree with pretty much everything said so far. GTAIV was a huge let down for me and i also havent finished it, let alone gone near the ex. packs and I hate the MW2 multiplayer too which is far more common then i thought it would be.

On the other hand Fable is quite weird but not terrible and i really liked Bioshock but would agree that it was over hyped.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,942 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You know you can just use the demon arm to knock out any light without even having to aim at it yeah? Its also got one of the greatest scenes in a game of all time, the couch scene with Jenny, and 2 or 3 of the most visceral scenes in a video game, ever, with the drill torture scene and others. Alot of developers could learn a thing or two about how to create immersiveness from Starbreeze.

The game still wasn't fun, the AI was still atrocious especially how it reacted to the tentacles and 2 or 3 cutscenes don't make up a good game. Starbreeze could learn a thing or two about making a game that played well from other developers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The game still wasn't fun, the AI was still atrocious especially how it reacted to the tentacles and 2 or 3 cutscenes don't make up a good game. Starbreeze could learn a thing or two about making a game that played well from other developers.

Each to their own I think....I played it, completed it and enjoyed it ......Personally I have never enjoyed the Mario games. Played New super mario wii over the weekend and it reminded me why I never really played them much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    Oh here's one that i could get flamed for:

God of war, mash buttons, play outdated qte's-its a terrible game that everyone loves!

agreed, ninja gaiden springs to mind too. all my mates love it, i just dont get it...

really linear, repetitive, just boring.... devil may cry also fits into this category..

played both and didnt like them.

zelda too...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,981 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Legend of Dragoon. True Marmalade of a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

^cant wait for the sheepman of Megaman10 :D
    corcaigh07 wrote: »
    Oh here's one that i could get flamed for:

God of war, mash buttons, play outdated qte's-its a terrible game that everyone loves!
    ah comon now GOW1's QTE was one of the first and best back at the time in the action game world:P

and for anyone who rages on GOW or ninjagaiden - they are the very few good quality ACT which no way you can beat the game with button mashing, unless maybe you are playing very easy or easy mode. easy game like GOW's normal mode i still can recall you need some brain to kill off Ares in the end(i barely die in GOW1 till Ares killed me for 2 times i rememeber),regardless to say hardcore ACT like ninjagaiden's normal mode.

the thing is simple if you just admit you have no love for ACT imo :D
    Korvanica wrote: »
    agreed, ninja gaiden springs to mind too. all my mates love it, i just dont get it...

really linear, repetitive, just boring.... devil may cry also fits into this category..

played both and didnt like them.

zelda too...

linear, repetitive, just boring - i can tag this line to ALL genre of games tbh. FPS has probably the most linear and repetitive presentation in gaming history but i still play it and love it:D

and for me i guess i love most good games that most people loves and even those which people hates or not much fans of (Megaman and Sega's Shinobi etc).

spring in mind tho i find Bioshock was an ok FPS but people seems to love it or highly praise it - i finished it and never consider to play it ever again.the story is fine but nothing extraordinary imo - maybe because i dont have much feelings on the old 60s stuffs in the game:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Those Championship/Football Manager games. Not sure how popular they are nowadays but back in the day, i think it was CM2, was so popular and nearly everyone played it. All i saw was a bit of clicking followed by some extremely fast moving bits of text. Probably the most dull game i'd seen in my life

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

oh, gaytar hero & cockband

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,942 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Robocop vs. Terminator: Seemed great due to the awesome license but play it now and it's a poor turrican with some awful boss design.

Sonic Adventure: Looked great at the time but it's not very good and an uncontrollable mess.

I haven't said any games that I don't like but know they just don't suit me such as football manager and kotor.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Robocop vs. Terminator: Seemed great due to the awesome license but play it now and it's a poor turrican with some awful boss design.

Sonic Adventure: Looked great at the time but it's not very good and an uncontrollable mess.

I haven't said any games that I don't like but know they just don't suit me such as football manager and kotor.

pssst - FF7

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

grimm2005 wrote: »
    Those Championship/Football Manager games. Not sure how popular they are nowadays but back in the day, i think it was CM2, was so popular and nearly everyone played it. All i saw was a bit of clicking followed by some extremely fast moving bits of text. Probably the most dull game i'd seen in my life

Thats a paddling!!!

Jazzy wrote: »
    pssst - FF7

See I actually do like the game, I just think people vastly over rate it since it's far from the best game ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Uncharted 2 - a slightly prettier version of Uncharted 1 with one or two new characters and the god awful combat, annoying controls, terrible climbing sections and muck of a plot "Evil resin that turns people into the Incredible Hulk you say...." seem to vanish in a wave of "OMG its awesome, bestest game ever"

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

all of mine have been mentioned before but i'll mention them again

* guitar hero/rockband.
    * halo 1/2/3.
    * bioshock.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Everyone who has said metal gear solid 4 is just plain wrong. MGS4 wasn't a game. :p

GTA4 is just so boring that I stopped giving a **** about it.

Dragon age: origins - I just found that way too tactical, which isn't my cup of tea. If they had toned back the micromanaging I'd probably love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Bioshock, Halo, Mortal Kombat, Oblivion, COD3/5, GRID, Mass Effect, Saints Row, any tony hawks since pro skater 2, any rally game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

PerrinV2 wrote: »
    Thats a paddling!!!

seriously... literally laughed out loud :pac: kudos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

portal cuz u dunt get shoot guns or nothin
    Don't know about any terrible games that people seem to love. I suppose quite a few people liked Crackdown but I thought it was fairly crap. Counter-Strike is another one.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

I am getting a distinct 'decent but overated IMO' vibe off this thread, come on lads where are the real train wreck games :D

How this game still has (or had until very recently ) a modding comunity just make my mind boggle

• Registered Users Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Goldeneye (Reason: I'm not a 007 fan by any means of it. And the fact that it represents 007 is enough to make me dislike it lol)

GTA 4 (Reason: They threw all the fun out of GTA and gave the lads at Saints Row a loan of it)

Rainbow Six (Reason: Meh...Every one i tried to play i just never got past the 2nd level. Just stopped basically)

Any Super Mario game (Reason: Controlling a pea-sized plumber bouncing up and down, trying to save a princess, doesn't sound very appealing to me lol)

Super Smash Bros (Reason: It's too wacky and messy, and just all round confuses the hell out of me. I just don't enjoy it whenever I play it)

Call of Duty: World at War (Reason: I never got into Call of Duty 1, 2 or 3. Loved 4, then after looking forward to another Modern-type Cod game, they brought out WaW. Which just annoyed me, despite playing MP on it quite a few times. Compare it to the amount of times i played Cod 4 and MW2. Which i play to death)

Fable 2 (Reason: Playing through the whole game only to be smacked with a rubbish ending, and little to no replay value, just gave me a good reason to sell it)

Half Life (Reason: The first one made gave me my first dose of depression lol not really. But it did bore me to shreds)

All Sonic games (after the Megadrive era) (Reason: .....they went 3D..simple as that lol)

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭AndyKiely

Every GTA game. Completly overrated. Should stop the franchise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

AndyKiely wrote: »

GTFO :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

• G.R.A.W
    • farmville
    • WaW
    • tf2 (i reckon i didnt give it a fair chance but still)
    • quake3a (ut ftw!)
    • E.T on the atari (worst game I ever bought.. cant understand the high reviews at all)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

AndyKiely wrote: »
    dr gonzo wrote: »
    GTFO :D

haha wow, we should all sign a petition :D

mawk wrote: »
    [*]quake3a (ut ftw!)

INCORRECT

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭lunacyfoundme

Half Life (Reason: The first one made gave me my first dose of depression lol not really. But it did bore me to shreds)

Are you cereal? Something wrong with you. Mine would be Doom 3 played an hour and quit. Go down corridor trun right. Go down corridor turn left.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Skate.
    Horrible controls... Abso****inglutely HORRIBLE!

Halo3 deserves mention for having the single worst level that I have EVER played... Still grit my teeth every time I think about it.

Advertisement