Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terrible game that everybody loves?

Options
  • 15-03-2010 2:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭

Well thats it really, does anyone have a game that was overwhelming adored at the time that you just plain didn't like?

One of mine would be Resident Evil 5, it seemed to be almost universally lauded while i thought it was rubbish.

And begin...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

I didn't like Bioshock all that much. It's not that great of an actual game, story aside. I think peoples reaction to the sequel kind of proves that since they aren't as interested without the story being as strong. If it was just a good game to play people would still really want it, but they don't.

The Fable games are a mess imo. I haven't a clue what's going on most of the time in combat and no clue where to go or what to do next.

GTAIV sucked all the fun out of the series. Dating your cousin does not a good game make.

FIFA has been the same since I think the 02 or 03 edition. Can't remember. Whenever they changed from the 98/99 style of game. It's not getting better in any way. It's the exact same except the camera gets worse every year. (Yes I'm aware you can change it but it doesn't help at all.) I think people want it to be good so much they've made themselves believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭steve_

Call of Duty, iv always been a BF2 player so going to COD just had no appeal to me what so ever. Also monster hunter!! friends were going crazy over it and i found it dull and repetitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

halo 3.... now its been said. no need for 6,000 posts on the subject. ( i loved it though)

im the same wit res evil 5, fable, and final fantasy.... always hated them... played through 10 and a bit of 7, no dice... its the fight system that gets to me...
    "ok, ill hit you, then you have a go ok?"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,943 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Goldeneye: Excellent when it came out and hugely influential but it's aged terribly and is a dog to play nowadays

The Darkness: Shooting every light bulb in a level is not fun and it's got the worst AI in any FPS I've ever played. And the story is ****e.

Legend of Dragoon: For some reason this game has fans. It's nothing but a cynical attempt to jump on the FFVII bandwagon by Sony and they created the worst JRPG I've ever played. Bland and uninspired beyond belief. If you like this game you are an idiot.

Metal Gear Solid 4: Awful story. Atrocious dialogue. Terrible cutscenes that go on forever. Woeful bosses. The first 2 acts have about 90 minutes of semi decent gameplay. After that the game takes a nose dive into awful.

Halo 2: Halo 1 was an uninspired FPS that brought nothing new to the genre no matter what some people will tell you (rechargeable shields, tribes. grenade button, team fortress classic. FPS control scheme on a console, alien ressurection and quake 2 on the PS1. etc.) but it was fun and had it's moments until it went **** when the flood arrived. Halo 2 basically took everything that was wrong with Halo 1 and built a game around those elements (excluding a the new mombasa bit that did kind of work). A rubbish single player experience. Also introduced matchmaking to online gaming and for that evil every copy deserves to burn in hell.

Halo 3: Basically it was Halo rehashed and by this stage it had gotten old and tired. It just felt stale to me despite being the best in the series. It'sawfl excuse for a map maker 'Forge' was celebrated despite being next to useless and the fact that Farcry Instincts did it first and better. You could build maps in that game not just place crates around.

Xenosaga: An absolute bore of a game with a dreadful storyline hiding behind a veil of ambiguity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭Greyfox

dr gonzo wrote: »
    One of mine would be Resident Evil 5, it seemed to be almost universally lauded while i thought it was rubbish.

No it wasn't, the reviews for it will all agree the games rubbish compared to Resident Evil 4. I thought it was good but agree with the vast majority of people in that it was dissapointing compared to the rest of the series

For me Metal Gear Solid 4 is one of the most overratted games of all time, a story that's a pile of nonsence which every now and then stops to give you a few minutes of gameplay. In fairness the gameplay part is very good, it's just that only about 20% of the game is gameplay the other 80% is the most riddiculous excuse for a story ever...a huge letdown considering the fact that the original was one of the greatest games ever made

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭hare05

Gears of war.

Take a dodgy control system, add uselessly inaccurate weapons, a pinch of chainsaw, a spattering of blood and an entire bag of chest-high walls (Yes, they come in bags especially for this purpose) and you get this mediocre shooter that no one would shut up about.

I tried it, I finished it, I hated it.
    Imagine trying to kill a guy from 10 meters away with a machinegun, 3 bullets of a 30 bullet clip hit the target and any attempts to run towards him with the chainsaw result in your character sliding to the left due to the stupid camera angle. And now imagine that very game being called a masterpiece by all your friends.

Screw GoW, give me S.T.A.L.K.E.R (even with the ****ty X-Ray engine 1.0)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Goldeneye: Excellent when it came out and hugely influential but it's aged terribly and is a dog to play nowadays.

[fanboy]I still play Goldeneye about once a week and I absolutely love it. I really wouldn't consider it aged badly at all, the multiplayer is still the best fun I have on any game. The worst thing about it is that the N64 control is hard to get used to after playing with two thumbsticks but you get used to using the C Buttons as a second thumbstick in no time at all.[/fanboy]

ProEv - I have an aversion to sports game in general but the ProEv series is particularly bad. I find it no fun at all. Unfortunately, all the mates love it. Sigh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Sigi

Modern Warfare 2...words can't express the contempt I have for this game.Wouldn't be as bad only they've blocked party chat so I'm stuck talking to myself because all my friends love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Sigi wrote: »
    Modern Warfare 2...words can't express the contempt I have for this game.Wouldn't be as bad only they've blocked party chat so I'm stuck talking to myself because all my friends love it.

Do you hate the game or the hype?... Or both?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Sigi

Do you hate the game or the hype?... Or both?
    Both tbh.I can't really put my finger on what it is about the gameplay.I think its to do with the way its over complicated,all these stupid perks and rewards.As opposed to cod2 or even cod4 which was nowhere near as bad.

The hype I didn't used to mind as i liked cod 4 and i was really looking forward to this.But now that I've experienced it,the hype annoys me as its nowhere near as good as people make it out to be.In ways its ruined the whole xbox for me,as i cant stand playing games on my own and i cant talk to any of my friends.So i pretty much have to play mw2,which annoys me to the extent that I've f**ked the game out the window.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Goldeneye: Excellent when it came out and hugely influential but it's aged terribly and is a dog to play nowadays

Halo 3: Basically it was Halo rehashed and by this stage it had gotten old and tired. It just felt stale to me despite being the best in the series. It'sawfl excuse for a map maker 'Forge' was celebrated despite being next to useless and the fact that Farcry Instincts did it first and better. You could build maps in that game not just place crates around.

I agree about Halo 3. Such a let down considering all the hype it got.

Now Goldeneye on the other hand...
    forget it I'm going to bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

medal of honour allied assault was incredible boring to play yet was lauded as the best fps since half life for quite some time...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,295 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Bioshock isnt a great game, certainly not to the levels of praise it got.

The sims, just what is the attraction, its terrible....

drawing a bit of a blank now...

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Rud

any final fantasy game ever made or any halo game ever made.just boring as hell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Wolflikeme

Well thats it really, does anyone have a game that was overwhelming adored at the time that you just plain didn't like?

And begin...

Yeah I'd go along with this.

Also GTAIV - borefest for me. Same old same old. And too much pr1ckin' about with the little things. Much prefer GTAIII and Vice City.

Killzone - while it hasn't been lauded as such it's still very popular and I just don't get it at all.

Assassins Creed - the definition of monotony.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

If you're willing to forgive a lot of poor design decisions for the promise of a terrible story, you should play Fahrenheit.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

This is more 'Popular games that i hate' rather then 'Terrible games that everyone loves'.

Modern Warfare 2 - Such an overrated game. The hype was totally over the top, for what is a pretty brainless shooter. And dont get my started on the single player. Bad Company 2 is a far, far better game.

Metal Gear Solid 4 - I dont mind cutscenes. I even dont mind some long cutscenes. But a 90 minute, barely understandable cutscene? **** off.

The Sims 1/2/3 - I guess i just dont understand why people like these games. Also, i dont like how EA has milked the series more then anything has been milked before. Even moreso then the Final Fantasy series.
    BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    medal of honour allied assault was incredible boring to play yet was lauded as the best fps since half life for quite some time...
    While a lot of it was pretty boring, after that Omaha beach scene, i'd be willing to forgive it. First time i ever remember ducking at my desk while playing a game :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

I didn't like Bioshock all that much. It's not that great of an actual game, story aside. I think peoples reaction to the sequel kind of proves that since they aren't as interested without the story being as strong. If it was just a good game to play people would still really want it, but they don't.

The Fable games are a mess imo. I haven't a clue what's going on most of the time in combat and no clue where to go or what to do next.

GTAIV sucked all the fun out of the series. Dating your cousin does not a good game make.

FIFA has been the same since I think the 02 or 03 edition. Can't remember. Whenever they changed from the 98/99 style of game. It's not getting better in any way. It's the exact same except the camera gets worse every year. (Yes I'm aware you can change it but it doesn't help at all.) I think people want it to be good so much they've made themselves believe.

Never played fable, but agree with the other choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Halo's

There are many games I didn't like that others loved, but I wouldn't class them as terrible. They just weren'y my cup of tea is all.
    I can appreciate their influence on gaming , their design and how great they actually are, but just not my thing.

Such as

-Zeldas (I did try, put in about 15 hours, couldnt get into it)
    -Mario (loved mario kart),
    -Anything Wii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

MW2 Cod4 was brilliant, MW2 just seemed to overcomplicate it, thus making it redundant.

Halo 3 I'm playing it atm inbetween games, i can only say that i'm doing it due to sheer boredom and i'm becoming a bit of an achievement whore and it seems a shame to have all those achievements just lying on my shelf unlocked :P

GTAIV Could never get into it, still haven't completed it. Doesn't have a patch on San Andreas.

Borderlands *Protects face from angry boardsies :P* Tried to play it online to capture the "true essence" of the game like people told me too, ended up getting paired with people who didn't have mics and seemed to run around the place like headless chickens. After that tried to play it single player, that was a mistake, unbelievably tedious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

The Darkness: Shooting every light bulb in a level is not fun and it's got the worst AI in any FPS I've ever played. And the story is ****e.

You know you can just use the demon arm to knock out any light without even having to aim at it yeah? Its also got one of the greatest scenes in a game of all time, the couch scene with Jenny, and 2 or 3 of the most visceral scenes in a video game, ever, with the drill torture scene and others. Alot of developers could learn a thing or two about how to create immersiveness from Starbreeze.

q7iyda5xn57864o2a9jb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

MW2 was and is way over-hyped, I can't understand its massive popularity. SP was rubbish and just tagged on it seems, certainly not as good as COD4. The whole perks and kill-streaks suits the twitchy-fingered 'youthful' generation rather than the more mature gamer and Activision look set to rake it in with more DLC and unimaginative spin-offs. Plus they charged us an extra few Euro just to buy the game in the first place :mad:.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Valkyria Chronicles: I'm not going to go into the myriad of problems I have with this games moronic AI, bloated/slow/irritating menu system and the nauseatingly clichéd plot that pulls from everything that is wrong with pop-anime in general. There seems to be a die hard contingent of people that love it though. I'll never understand it, tastes are different I guess, in the same way some fans swoon over the Halo series, fans seem to be swooning over this flawed, lumbering game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Valkyria Chronicles: I'm not going to go into the myriad of problems I have with this games moronic AI, bloated/slow/irritating menu system and the nauseatingly clichéd plot that pulls from everything that is wrong with pop-anime in general. There seems to be a die hard contingent of people that love it though. I'll never understand it, tastes are different I guess, in the same way some fans swoon over the Halo series, fans seem to be swooning over this flawed, lumbering game.

Agree with that. Laughable story, stop-start gameplay and cut scenes that go on for hours and walls of text, valkyria bollocks more like.

IM PLAYING THE ****ING GAME, YOU DONT NEED TO INTERRUPT ME EVERY 5 SECONDS WITH A DETAILED ANALYSIS OF WHAT BUTTON I JUST ****ING PRESSED

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Halo 3. finished it there the other night in one play through with 3 of my mates. you're wandering around doing f-all against a sh1te assortment of enemies that got boring by the end of Halo 1 with toy guns. the only good part was the hilarity of throwing a grenade in a tiny elevator with all 4 of you in it. oh, and theres some b1tch in it that pops up once in a while trying to be all mysterious and make the game 'epic' but its really just cringeworthy nonsense. level design is awful and the only decent parts are when you are in a tank or something.

Battlefield (any flavour). slow, n00bed, random, slow again, boring, broken, annoying multiplayer that is consistently over rated but contains absolutely no depth.

any driving game bar F-Zero and Mario Kart on the snes (f-zero of any flavour, not just the snes one). yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Valkyria Chronicles: I'm not going to go into the myriad of problems I have with this games moronic AI, bloated/slow/irritating menu system and the nauseatingly clichéd plot that pulls from everything that is wrong with pop-anime in general. There seems to be a die hard contingent of people that love it though. I'll never understand it,.

Counts down posts before Retr0 argues or defends the game :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Counts down posts before Retr0 argues or defends the game :P

Nah... I think we've agreed to disagree on this one. That or he'll attempt to render my opinion useless by saying I've played some other games widely held to be awful (at last count it was Legendary, X-Blades and maybe Sonic: Unleashed) :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Wolflikeme wrote: »
    Also GTAIV - borefest for me. Same old same old. And too much pr1ckin' about with the little things.

Absolutely, after the initial couple of days it the xbox hasn't seen it since.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Bioshock:Didn't think it was great,same ol same ol,didn't think the story was amazing either
    GTAIV:Dunno if this counts since I don't think it was universally liked anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,295 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Oh here's one that i could get flamed for:

God of war, mash buttons, play outdated qte's-its a terrible game that everyone loves!

Advertisement