Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Listeners Block

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

This isn't really what the guy is driving at.

He knows what he likes already - which is a fairly decently diverse spectrum, btw - but he's looking for suggestions with those in mind; Rather than more of exactly the same, or the implication that his personal taste is "wrong", or the always popular "Your tastes are too narrow. Here, this is precisely and exactly what I like" posts .

Well, Jill, he's come here stating that he's gotten bored with the stuff he's listening to which is fully understandable, because in fairness, it isn't that diverse a spectrum at all. I'm not saying that his personal tastes are wrong, simply that they are restricted. He's come on, putting up a list of the Pitchfork mainstays and quite predictably, gotten a load of pats on the back and a load of "Oh wow dude, we totally listen to the same stufffffff."

Now fair enough he could be looking for the same format but I'm just offering my point of view that maybe he's getting bored because that list is all a bit samey samey really. Perhaps it's time to become a fan of a wider variety of stuff. I'm not attacking the OP, I'm just giving my 2 cents.

I didn't send him out in any particular direction really but LG suggested I suggest something so I just threw out a couple of artists I'm listening to at the moment. So I hope that's OK?
    Coming into an Alternative/Indie forum to be a bit smug about alternative and indie music is just not cricket, is it?

Sweet irony of ironies ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

I went through the same sort of thing when it came to contemporary music last year. I was getting pisst off with the slew of bands like Animal Collective (admittedly who I think are s****) and instead of looking for new bands/artist, I listened to a lot of older stuff from the 50s,60s,70s,80s,90s etc.

This is Big Star

This is Guided By Voices

This is Serge Gainsbourg

This is Creedence

This is The Fall

This is The Go Betweens

And loads more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Sauron

Kold wrote:
    Well, Jill, he's come here stating that he's gotten bored with the stuff he's listening to which is fully understandable, because in fairness, it isn't that diverse a spectrum at all.

Eh, I don't think he said that or even hinted at it. The list is diverse, but I'll get to that in a second; the point isn't that he's bored with what he has (in fact he seems pretty happy with it), but that he's not sure where to where to look for new music, as evidenced by this statement:
    I really do not know where to look next for more new music

The implication is that any suggestions will provide him with new music, thus, you might say, broadening his musical taste. But you seem to have certain ideas about how exactly taste should be broadened:
    Kold wrote: »
    He's come on, putting up a list of the Pitchfork mainstays and quite predictably, gotten a load of pats on the back and a load of "Oh wow dude, we totally listen to the same stufffffff."

Among other things, nice snipe at people who like some of the bands on his list.
    ...I'm just offering my point of view that maybe he's getting bored because that list is all a bit samey samey really.

It's really not... Aside from the obvious differences between say, Eminem and Bruce Springsteen, if you'd take the time to actually listen to some of those artists, say for example Interpol and Elliot Smith, you'd realise that Pitchfork approval is the closest thing to a common property between them; nevertheless, most people would call them both "alternative", which is really just a convenient term for a hell of a lot of stuff.

I'd be surprised if you didn't know all this stuff already though.

Out of interest, I did a quick check on most of these artists:
    Balmorhea, Deru, Pretty Lights, Autechre, Ceephax Acid Crew, Childs, Deltron 3030.

Turns out Pitchfork really likes them too... guess that means you have to branch out yourself, right? /s

Enough with the generalisations; if you want to suggest something do, but don't try to condescend, qualifying it with arbitrary boundaries on a certain list and calling it samey, when it's actually manifestly various.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Back on topic guys. I'll let some bitchiness slide but no more. This was dealt with there was no need to drag it up, and there is no need to reply to any of it. Bans come next.

Kold if you want your say back it'll have to be PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I can't recommend Eskimo Joe's 'Black Fingernails, Red Wine' album enough. It's at the very least a 9/10 album for me if not better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Hi guys, the OP Here

firstly I would just like to thank absolutely everyone who has posted here so far

This is what I love so much about Boards, the helpfulness and creativity of everyone who posts, I have had a pretty rough week in work and have been busy outside of it, so I have not been able to explore as much of your suggestions as I would have liked

I promise that it is fully my plan for the weekend and I have 'aquired' most of what has been suggested in the first 15 or so posts

so far I have absolutely loved The Low anthem and have been getting into Joanna Newsom and wilco too all of which I like
    I also really enjoyed Dexy's Midnight Runner on the luas journey to work this morning, they are a bit mad but different

With regard to my taste in music, yes I am looking for new stuff, but I do love the bands I post so I would of course like suggestions for simialr bands that I may have missed and it is quite easy to miss out on them (I do not regulary keep up with Indie sites or magazines etc.)
    but I would definitely be willing to branch out a bit too

Thanks again and I promise to post more constructive posts and feeback to everyone who given me suggestions so far

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Hi
    so far I have absolutely loved The Low anthem and have been getting into Joanna Newsom and wilco too all of which I like
    I also really enjoyed Dexy's Midnight Runner on the luas journey to work this morning, they are a bit mad but different

Thanks again and I promise to post more constructive posts and feeback to everyone who given me suggestions so far

Gotta love the Dexys, once people listen to something other than the hit single they realise there is alot more to them.

Looking forward to more feedback, i also plan on listening to some of the stuff recommended on here, if only i wasn't in work today! :(

Advertisement