Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now Pope linked to child abuse cover-up

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Sorry to necro bump, but this is a direct update to this story. Der Spiegel has seen a letter between the man who took the blame for this and a friend which appears to confirm that he was pressurised by the Vatican to take the fall for this case 'to take the Pope out of the firing line'.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2010/0419/1224268630491.html
    A FORMER vicar-general in the archdiocese of Munich has claimed that he was pressurised last month into taking the blame for a mistake made 30 years ago by the then Archbishop of Munich, Joseph Ratzinger (now Pope Benedict), concerning the case of a paedophile priest.

Fr Gerhard Gruber has now said he did so only after coming under huge pressure from unnamed Catholic Church sources to take responsibility, so as to “take the pope out of the firing line”.

In a letter to a friend, seen by German weekly magazine Der Spiegel , Fr Gruber wrote that he was “begged” in numerous phone calls and after receiving a prepared statement by fax for him to sign. The magazine said Fr Gruber expresses unhappiness in the letter at being given the sole blame in public.

The archdiocese of munich says the story is fabricated.

Who do you believe?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Ratzinger = biggest paedo protector of them all!

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Irlandese

anymore wrote: »
    I see absolutely no reason why criticising him for his actual actions isnt sufficient to condemn him without any vague 'hint hint' suggestions or innnuendos. Dont you ?
    Hey Man, Sorry to be late getting back to you on this. You were right to call me up on it. I now think you may be right and that I have been wrong, to take up comments heard privately, without checking more. I withdraw any inuendo. I am more convinced now, after some informed correcting at a dinner party the other evening, that whatever his orientation, he may not even be aware of it and is probably not a practicing anything. I do suspect strongly that he has an internal struggle with his sexuality, which affects his judgement. But, that certainly does not make him unique.
    His very serious mistakes re clerical child abuse may be grounded in the tutelage of John Paul 11, but he is wholly responsible for a lot of the secrecy and cover-ups since then, among many other very serious errors of role performance as an influential figure in the public eye. The recent extra-ordinary open letter to him from Hans Kung says it all so very much better than I ever could or would, being a devout agnostic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

LookingFor wrote: »
    Sorry to necro bump, but this is a direct update to this story. Der Spiegel has seen a letter between the man who took the blame for this and a friend which appears to confirm that he was pressurised by the Vatican to take the fall for this case 'to take the Pope out of the firing line'.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2010/0419/1224268630491.html

The archdiocese of munich says the story is fabricated.

Who do you believe?

Did they print the letter? It is increasingly difficult to believe anything that issues from the RC church and they only have themselves to blame for not coming clean in the first place. They have poisoned peoples' attitudes for generations to come.

Advertisement