Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now Pope linked to child abuse cover-up

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

what would be the consequences if it was proved that he knowlingly moved a priest?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

None, they'd lie, bluster and bully their way out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 maireadmconroy1

any man who wears red prada shoes has to be very dodgy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

No rest for the wicked as exorcist comes to town

Odd line to finish the article on..

Sickening reading that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Sadly comes as so surprise. Tip of the iceberg I suspect.

As for...
    The revelations come as the Pope faces increasing criticism for a 2001 Vatican letter he sent to all bishops advising them that all cases of sexual abuse of minors must be forwarded to his then-office, the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, and that the cases were to be subject to pontifical secret.

This is well known. He issued orders that such secrets were to be kept in-house and that the police/etc of countries were not to be told of their brethren's sex crimes.
    That to me is as much absolutely disgusting, if not more so and just further shows how rotten at the core the religious Mafia in Rome truly is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

what would be the consequences if it was proved that he knowlingly moved a priest?

He'll be promoted to God? I'm not exactly sure. Accountability & Catholicism don't seem to mash well together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

As it has been the practice of the Church down the centuries to rewrite history to suit themselves, maybe the words of Jesus, "Suffer the little children" have been interpreted in a literal rather than archaic sense.
    As a long time agnostic, who experienced the version of fraternal love which John Charles Mc Quaid espoused, nothing can be written about the Church that would surprise me. The only good point is that nowadays it can be written.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

The article must raise the question of whether the Pontiff is detached enough to deal with the issue of how the Church dealt with these priests and also whether he should consider resigning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

any man who wears red prada shoes has to be very dodgy

and starts early life as a nazi boy scout!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I can't say I'm surprised, you don't get promoted to the top of any organization without knowing how it works from the bottom up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

If by that you mean conscripted into the armed forces into an anti-aircraft company as Germany's City were being reduced to ruins.

As for resigning, our own Irish government no doubt show the way by ministers always resigning for serious blunders committed by their subordinates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Manach wrote: »
    If by that you mean conscripted into the armed forces into an anti-aircraft company as Germany's City were being reduced to ruins.

As for resigning, our own Irish government no doubt show the way by ministers always resigning for serious blunders committed by their subordinates.

That defence didn't work in Nuremburg, "I was just following orders"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Poly wrote: »
    That defence didn't work in Nuremburg, "I was just following orders"

I nominate this as post Fail of the day. Its bad taste and pure ignorance to equate the normal duties of conscripts in the army and the stuff the trials were about. Dont they teach history in schools anymore?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

69 wrote: »
    I can't say I'm surprised, you don't get promoted to the top of any organization without knowing how it works from the bottom up.[/QUOTE

I think Ratzinger was more invloved in the academic side than in pastoral or parish work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

The Church is a disgrace. May just be beyond repair at this stage.

anymore wrote: »
    I can't say I'm surprised, you don't get promoted to the top of any organization without knowing how it works from the bottom up.[/QUOTE

I think Ratzinger was more involved in the academic side than in pastoral or parish work.
    Point to note: Its the academic side that makes the rules, see they are carried out and punishes those that don't do the "party" line.

The edict that he, Ratzinger issued as to not tell the authorities of the evil-doer's work still stands, as still church law - it hasn't been revoked!
    If one wants to know where Rome's loyalties are and who they only really care for, all Rome has to do is look in the mirror for the answer.
    There they will see their devils too.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/22/20100313/tts-uk-germany-abuse-pope-ca02f96.html

So, that's all right then. Doesn't say whether the Polizei were informed, you would imagine that that would be the first response of any right thinking cleric whose first concern was for the innocents in his flock.

bmaxi wrote: »
    http://uk.news.yahoo.com/22/20100313/tts-uk-germany-abuse-pope-ca02f96.html

...Doesn't say whether the Polizei were informed, you would imagine that that would be the first response of any right thinking cleric whose first concern was for the innocents in his flock.
    As already mentioned, not a hope in hell of that happening - it would break his enforced ruling that they don't tell.
    What a nice man he truly is! :mad:

I love the PR spin that they say "His line has always been one of rigour and consistency in tackling even the most difficult situations."
    Right! So that includes moving a pervert from one place to another, telling no one of his actions that should be informed and letting he continue do what he clearly subsequently did, on the suffering new victims there was later!
    He was just moved and allowed to freely run riot again! Absolutely disgusting.

Biggins wrote: »
    As already mentioned, not a hope in hell of that happening - it would break his enforced ruling that they don't tell.
    What a nice man he truly is! :mad:

I love the PR spin that they say "His line has always been one of rigour and consistency in tackling even the most difficult situations."
    Right! So that includes moving a pervert from one place to another, telling no one of his actions that should be informed and letting he continue do what he clearly subsequently did, on the suffering new victims there was later!
    He was just moved and allowed to freely run riot again! Absolutely disgusting.

The Vatican seems to share the exact same attitude towards the people as our own government does. "The thicks will buy anything" seems to be the order of the day - and the worst part is they're right.

If this was any other institution they'd all be in jail.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

This should finally undermine any notion of there being a 'few bad apples'. Any good priests that are left should be walking away in protest by now.

Surely those who covered up these abuses, and ordered that they be covered up, could be pursued as co-conspirators. There should be arrest warrants issued for this scumbag.

• Advertisement

hardCopy wrote: »
    This should finally undermine any notion of there being a 'few bad apples'. Any good priests that are left should be walking away in protest by now.

Amen.

Surely they can't consider themselves to be followers of Jesus while continuing to work for this institution which has shown itself time and time again to be evil and corrupt.

And for them to judge others...ha. If there was ever a good argument for the existence of the devil, these lads would be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Pappy o' daniel

Joey Ratz is Gods representative on earth. How can he be wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I can't say I'm surprised, you don't get promoted to the top of any organization without knowing how it works from the bottom up.

There is a pun in that line... I wonder was it intended.

I have to say as a catholic and pratacising I am very sad with the church I always have been. But it wont stop me beliveing in god

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

The pontiff's role in policing procedures for dealing with child abuse was well-documented in the BBC Panorama documentary Sex Crimes and The Vatican in 2006.
    The documentary presented by child abuse survivor and Executive Director of Amnesty International Ireland revealed how the then Cardinal Ratzinger wrote to Catholic bishops in 2001 to remind them of the penalties for leaking details of inquiries into offences such as clerical sex abuse
    The then cardinal issued a secret Vatican edict to Catholic bishops all over the world, instructing them to put the Church's interests ahead of child safety, the BBC reported.
    The document recommended that rather than reporting sexual abuse to the relevant legal authorities, bishops should encourage the victim, witnesses and perpetrator not to talk about it.
    To keep victims quiet, it threatened that if they repeated the allegations they would be excommunicate, the report said

Read more: http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/299368,irish-victims-of-child-abuse-angry-at-vatican-response--feature.html#ixzz0i5GG0SI1

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    Surely they can't consider themselves to be followers of Jesus while continuing to work for this institution which has shown itself time and time again to be evil and corrupt.

Well, members of the catholic church have a fundamental problem there
    Credo in Deum Patrem omnipotentem, Creatorem caeli et terrae,
    et in Iesum Christum, Filium Eius unicum, Dominum nostrum,
    qui conceptus est de Spiritu Sancto, natus ex Maria Virgine,
    passus sub Pontio Pilato, crucifixus, mortuus, et sepultus,
    descendit ad ínferos, tertia die resurrexit a mortuis,
    ascendit ad caelos, sedet ad dexteram Patris omnipotentis,
    inde venturus est iudicare vivos et mortuos.
    Credo in Spiritum Sanctum,
    sanctam Ecclesiam catholicam, sanctorum communionem,
    remissionem peccatorum,
    carnis resurrectionem,
    vitam aeternam.
    Amen
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostles%27_Creed

The belief in the holy catholic church is part and parcel of their belief in God.
    Remove the church from your belief, doubt the church ... and you're doubting God. Leave the church and you're leaving God.

peasant wrote: »
    Well, members of the catholic church have a fundamental problem there

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostles%27_Creed

The belief in the holy catholic church is part and parcel of their belief in God.
    Remove the church from your belief, doubt the church ... and you're doubting God. Leave the church and you're leaving God.

AFAIK catholic, in this instance, means universal rather than specifically RC. As your wiki link attests, Anglicans, Lutherans etc. also refer to the "catholic" church in the profession of faith.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

AFAIK catholic, in this instance, means universal rather than specifically RC. As your wiki link attests, Anglicans, Lutherans etc. also refer to the "catholic" church in the profession of faith.

doesn't change the basic "you're either with us or you're out" idea though

peasant wrote: »
    doesn't change the basic "you're either with us or you're out" idea though

It gives the option of being a member of the "catholic" church without being a member of the Roman Catholic church.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

heard it today on radio, it is all over for the catholic church, if the head saw nothing wrong with it, all over , no recovery, not a hope

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Any links to child molestation in the Anglican, Lutheren etc flavours of this catholic church? Or is it just the madcap celebacy policy of the Catholic church that is at the heart of this whole shambles?

Advertisement