Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rock Band 3 (Pre-Release)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

In other news, I'm going to London on Friday for the Eurogamer Expo...

http://twitter.com/Eurogamer_Expo/status/25782010392

Yes, I will be playing Rock Band 3 for the weekend :D

This really happened :D

Looks cool - so many people struggling with it though...Not Burning Eclipse of course - by the Saturday was playing Dio's Rainbow In The Dark on Expert (and got an achievement!). Only struggle for him was the solo...

I'm sure he'll be on shortly to admit his addiction (it's that or an intervention)

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    This really happened :D

Looks cool - so many people struggling with it though...Not Burning Eclipse of course - by the Saturday was playing Dio's Rainbow In The Dark on Expert (and got an achievement!). Only struggle for him was the solo...

I'm sure he'll be on shortly to admit his addiction (it's that or an intervention)

That is some ridiculous timing.

Rock Band 3 is everything people hoped it would be.

1. The interface is much improved :)
    2. Graphics look nicer, noticably so in person.
    3. The solo in Rainbow in the Dark is simply ridiculous.

Ok, first thing to note is no fail mode was enabled, because if it wasn't there was no way I was getting through Rainbow. I did however manage to 4 star it and I unlocked the "Pro Guitar to the Max" achievement (max out your score multiplier on pro guitar - 15G). When you get to try out pro guitar you'll realise what an achievement this was for a top tier song on expert. At one point the guys working on the booth were calling each other to come watch me play. I also 88% 4-starred Smoke on the Water (Pro Guitar, Expert mode) and didn't fail out at any point. (This concludes the bragging section of my post) :p

Keyboard feels really solid. I first played expert keyboard and 5-starred "Don't Stand So Close To Me" (4th tier, but very easy). The moved up to pro keys, which represents a big leap (though not as big as pro guitar). Bohemian Rhapsody on medium was ok, then played Walk of Life by Dire Straits on Hard. Did well in both tbh. Didn't get to try out expert, but it's something to look forward to.

Pro drums are cool, but not the step up that pro keys or pro guitar represents. It's also great to see vocal harmonies from B:RB in here as they add so much for vocalists imo.

Even though I loved pro guitar (ask Sabre or Mr K) I won't be buying it. It's £125 pounds for the mustang, which is just not on imo. The strat was there, but not playable. It feels great, but I'm not convinced it will sound great. Also, the fretboard is fat as hell because of the tech. I will however pick up the keyboard immediately. Advice to those buying the keyboard is only play pro mode. If you have to start on easy so be it, but don't bother with regular mode.

The only negative thing I could say about my experience is that it now makes the wait agonizing.

Finally; The Power of Love is win!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

how will the keys work for a lefty ? I assume from the pics of it that it can't be reorientated so overdrive always has to be activated by the left hand regardless of handedness, and won't work for a lefty if you want to play it key-tar style?

calex71 wrote: »
    how will the keys work for a lefty ? I assume from the pics of it that it can't be reorientated so overdrive always has to be activated by the left hand regardless of handedness, and won't work for a lefty if you want to play it key-tar style?

It's not a lefty or righty instrument though. A piano keyboard is played the same way by everybody whereas drums and guitar are not. I know this would be awkward for key-tar, but it's a non-issue otherwise. That being said, I didn't try lefty flip, but why would you want to? (outside of key-tar)

It's not a lefty or righty instrument though. A piano keyboard is played the same way by everybody whereas drums and guitar are not. I know this would be awkward for key-tar, but it's a non-issue otherwise. That being said, I didn't try lefty flip, but why would you want to? (outside of key-tar)

Ah I know this keys will be the same regardless, was more interested in how Overdrive was activated as it seemed to be activated from the left side, so as a left i'd prefer to use my right had to do it.

• Advertisement

Ah I know this keys will be the same regardless, was more interested in how Overdrive was activated as it seemed to be activated from the left side, so as a left i'd prefer to use my right had to do it.

Ah yes, I get you! They would have had to manufacture it like the DJ Hero turntable (connectable at either side). I wonder does it work with the overdrive pedal... That would sort you out! Anyway, keyboard is very much worth looking forward to!! :D

Ah yes, I get you! They would have had to manufacture it like the DJ Hero turntable (connectable at either side). I wonder does it work with the overdrive pedal... That would sort you out! Anyway, keyboard is very much worth looking forward to!! :D

Ha I never thought of that one, as it is i'm using one of my drum pedals for overdrive on my Beatles guitar, which just adds to the experience. None of this tilting up in the air for me ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

Back button ftw. (select or - for you ps3/wii-heads)

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Indeed, only n00bs lift the guitar :P

>_>
    <_<

/runs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    Indeed, only n00bs lift the guitar :P

>_>
    <_<

/runs

Ha.

Ha.

Ha.

That is all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Didn't realise you could do that...:o
    I've just stuck to using my overly sensitive GH Metallica guitar, which only has to be lifted by about 10 degrees to start it

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Banjo Fella

I got to try out the Mustang at the Eurogamer Expo, and I absolutely loved it! Pro Guitar mode really does work, and it's brilliant fun. The first song I attempted was Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots on Medium... I'm fully aware that I suck at real guitar so I pitched the difficulty low enough to match my ability. :p

It was a little bit confusing at first as it seems like there's a lot of information scrolling down at you all at once, but it doesn't take too long to get used to it. The most confusing aspect of it is how they represent the shape your hand should be in with a bumpy horizontal line spanning the strings you fret, but you'll get used to reading it with the help of the chord names on the left of the screen and the wave that shows your fretted fingers.

I struggled through with a meagre 70% and a smile on my face, anyway! I queued up again afterwards and managed to do much better, hitting 90% of the song on Hard. It was so, so much fun! It really feels so much like playing guitar once you're used to it. I'd imagine the Squier will feel even more natural as you'll be able to hand-mute strings and feel your way around the fretboard, but the Mustang worked extremely well too and I'm very excited about never being able to afford one. :p

I got to try out the Mustang at the Eurogamer Expo, and I absolutely loved it! Pro Guitar mode really does work, and it's brilliant fun. The first song I attempted was Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots on Medium... I'm fully aware that I suck at real guitar so I pitched the difficulty low enough to match my ability. :p

It was a little bit confusing at first as it seems like there's a lot of information scrolling down at you all at once, but it doesn't take too long to get used to it. The most confusing aspect of it is how they represent the shape your hand should be in with a bumpy horizontal line spanning the strings you fret, but you'll get used to reading it with the help of the chord names on the left of the screen and the wave that shows your fretted fingers.

I struggled through with a meagre 70% and a smile on my face, anyway! I queued up again afterwards and managed to do much better, hitting 90% of the song on Hard. It was so, so much fun! It really feels so much like playing guitar once you're used to it. I'd imagine the Squier will feel even more natural as you'll be able to hand-mute strings and feel your way around the fretboard, but the Mustang worked extremely well too and I'm very excited about never being able to afford one. :p

It feels 'right'. Question for you, did you find your fingers tired faster than they would on a regular guitar? That was one thing that struck me about the Mustang?

Which days were you there? I was at the stand almost constantly, so I may have seen you/you seen me?! I don't suppose you were in the group from UCC?

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Banjo Fella

It feels 'right'. Question for you, did you find your fingers tired faster than they would on a regular guitar? That was one thing that struck me about the Mustang?

Which days were you there? I was at the stand almost constantly, so I may have seen you/you seen me?! I don't suppose you were in the group from UCC?

I didn't really feel my hand tiring out because the song I picked didn't involve much movement on the fretboard, but my fingers did end up doing more work because I sometimes couldn't get a feel for exactly where I was placing them. The buttons work fine but they don't really feel anything like strings, and I spent a while fumbling around between strums to make sure I was properly in place. It felt a bit more familiar even on my second try, though, so I'm sure it's something you can get used to quickly.

And yep, I was with the group from UCC! I was there on Friday wearing a Phoenix Wright "OBJECTION!" t-shirt, if that rings any bells. It's likely I saw you playing, so. I'm guessing you were the guy who was doing amazingly well on Expert, eating up those tasty bends. :p

I didn't really feel my hand tiring out because the song I picked didn't involve much movement on the fretboard, but my fingers did end up doing more work because I sometimes couldn't get a feel for exactly where I was placing them. The buttons work fine but they don't really feel anything like strings, and I spent a while fumbling around between strums to make sure I was properly in place. It felt a bit more familiar even on my second try, though, so I'm sure it's something you can get used to quickly.

And yep, I was with the group from UCC! I was there on Friday wearing a Phoenix Wright "OBJECTION!" t-shirt, if that rings any bells. It's likely I saw you playing, so. I'm guessing you were the guy who was doing amazingly well on Expert, eating up those tasty bends. :p

I was talking to a guy from UCC at the stand! Can't remember what he was wearing though?! I was wearing a blanka t-shirt!! Really impressed by the Expo - did you try much else?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

I'm guessing you were the guy who was doing amazingly well on Expert, eating up those tasty bends. :p

You guessed right! I was talking to you too, I was wearing a Scott Pilgrim t-shirt.

On-topic, I agree with the stuff Burning Ecilpse said. I was chatting to Jeff from Harmonix for a good while, I requested more Police DLC! He also implied that the Journey songs might be Pro'd up, no guarantees though.

IGN on Pro drums http://www.ign.com/videos/2010/09/08/rock-band-3-be-a-pro-drummer-video-feature?objectid=28567
    :rolleyes:

Even I drum better than this guy :D

One thing that always bugged me and still bugs me is the Kit movement if you are tall and even then not so tall , the guitar hero drums are rock solid and even from watching this video you can see the bob and weave of the kit when he plays a piss easy song likely not on expert.

IGN on Pro drums http://www.ign.com/videos/2010/09/08/rock-band-3-be-a-pro-drummer-video-feature?objectid=28567
    :rolleyes:

Even I drum better than this guy :D

One thing that always bugged me and still bugs me is the Kit movement if you are tall and even then not so tall , the guitar hero drums are rock solid and even from watching this video you can see the bob and weave of the kit when he plays a piss easy song likely not on expert.

I've the guitar hero drums and while they're rock solid, this only seems to increase the amount of sliding across the floor they do :/

Another free DLC alert.

There are going to be 3 free songs by the Doors for the 1st week of release

http://www.rockband.com/zine/free-doors-dlc

"Light My Fire" (Free from Oct. 26 – Nov. 1 in game, features Pro Guitar and Pro Bass)

"Riders on the Storm" (Free from Oct. 26 – Nov. 1 in game, features Pro Guitar and Pro Bass)

"Touch Me" (Free from Oct. 26 – Nov. 1 in game, features Pro Guitar and Pro Bass)

No pro keys though oddly, Light my fire in particular was made for pro keys ffs HMX :mad:

Another free DLC alert.

There are going to be 3 free songs by the Doors for the 1st week of release

http://www.rockband.com/zine/free-doors-dlc

"Light My Fire" (Free from Oct. 26 – Nov. 1 in game, features Pro Guitar and Pro Bass)

"Riders on the Storm" (Free from Oct. 26 – Nov. 1 in game, features Pro Guitar and Pro Bass)

"Touch Me" (Free from Oct. 26 – Nov. 1 in game, features Pro Guitar and Pro Bass)

No pro keys though oddly, Light my fire in particular was made for pro keys ffs HMX :mad:

They all have pro keys man. If a song has keys, it has pro keys.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

They're only highlightly pro guitar because the norm will be that that costs and extra few bucks :)

Video outlining the road challenges here http://see.walmart.com/gamecenter/rock-band-3 be patient there's a 50 second blabber before the video starts.

Forgot that song Lasso was in it , was lots of fun in GH:WoR

Video outlining the road challenges here http://see.walmart.com/gamecenter/rock-band-3 be patient there's a 50 second blabber before the video starts.

Forgot that song Lasso was in it , was lots of fun in GH:WoR

Probably the best vid I've seen yet... Hype!!

Man I can't wait to play this song

Says he got an early copy :rolleyes:

.... more like flying the Jolly Roger on the leaked copy :mad:

Edit:
    Donnie Darko made me love this song, he's basically posted vids of the entire setlist

The character models look amazing vs rb2 but over all the interface is exactly the same, love the presong taping of the setlist to the stage or the band limbering up in the dressing rom before taking the stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Will Ireland be getting the Deluxe guitar ?..and also...are the drums in RB3..better than those of RB1 (we couldnt get the decent RB2) ones over here.

And prices..any ideas on Deluxe set prices or how does it work ?

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Will Ireland be getting the Deluxe guitar ?..and also...are the drums in RB3..better than those of RB1 (we couldnt get the decent RB2) ones over here.

And prices..any ideas on Deluxe set prices or how does it work ?

Didn't have time to get into hmv when I was in town this morning, but was in last week with the intention of pre-ordering foro the 3 free songs. But got distracted :o

The squire aint out anywhere for the moment, the mustang is supposed to be available at launch but I have only seen prices on line 109-125 GBP for just the guitar. Drums same price. Game and Keyboard bundle 109 GBP.

I'm hoping when I go into hmv on launch day they will have a better price than that otherwise ill be leaving with just a game :(

My hope got raised a few weeks ago when they were selling GH:WoR for 79.99 with the new guitar which was not only cheaper than gamestop by €20 but cheaper than online prices also.

Just looking at the HMV www they have the keyboard on its own for 69.99 GBP but no listing for the drums or guitars.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,140 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Pre-ordered in HMV today when I saw they were offering the free songs (woo Talking Heads!). I haven't pre-ordered a game in a long time, but hey it was free. Price was, they are advertising the game at 44.99 on its own. I reserved a keyboard too, and I was told 79.99. Now I'm guessing that's just the instrument (he didn't specify, other than that it was the keyboard as opposed to the whole band setup): if it was the bundle, it would be amazing (not bloody likely) so I'm guessing maybe 110 for the game and keys?

Pre-ordered in HMV today when I saw they were offering the free songs (woo Talking Heads!). I haven't pre-ordered a game in a long time, but hey it was free. Price was, they are advertising the game at 44.99 on its own. I reserved a keyboard too, and I was told 79.99. Now I'm guessing that's just the instrument (he didn't specify, other than that it was the keyboard as opposed to the whole band setup): if it was the bundle, it would be amazing (not bloody likely) so I'm guessing maybe 110 for the game and keys?

SOunds bang on the money based on web prices , alas I don;t have that kind of money with Fable 3 out the same day. (although I am having a clear out over on adverts ;);) /end shameless plug).

Based on recent times, HMV will be the cheapest but the cost of these will drop significantly close to or soon after xmas lads, based on DJ Hero , the Beatles guitars last year. HOLD OFF!!!!!!!!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,140 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

SOunds bang on the money based on web prices , alas I don;t have that kind of money with Fable 3 out the same day. (although I am having a clear out over on adverts ;);) /end shameless plug).

I always love having a birthday at the start of November, all the good games are released in close proximity to it :D It's a nice coincidence RB3 is out four days before my b'day! I could have taken money for my uber two month trip abroad, but nah, a plastic keyboard wins :pac:

Also, +1 on HMV. So much better than any other retailers (Smyth's is pretty well priced and handy though, and doesn't involve a DART ride either!). I'm guessing they'll be significantly cheaper. The three songs (of which two are excellent) is a nice bonus.

• Advertisement

Yeah for me My Own summer sealed the deal in those songs and where I was buying the game :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement