Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just Moved In - What Are Our Options for Moving Out?

Options
  • 09-03-2010 4:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Hey Folks,

The girlfriend and I had been looking for a quiet apartment to live in. We eventually found what looked like the ideal place after having informed the landlord of our requirement. We paid a deposit (bank transfer) and then when we went to sign the lease we paid a months rent. Rather unusually the landlord was heading away for a few days and said we could read over the agreement and sign them during the course of the weekend and they would collect them on Tuesday they were back from their trip.

The apartment is rather cool but the water pump is absolutely deafening. This isn't too bad as we only turn ours on when necessary, however you can hear the pumps going in the other apartments. When someone turns on a tap, flushes the toilet, takes a shower etc you can hear it. During the day/evening you can ignore it and just get on with things but at night time it's annoying. My other half is a light sleeper and was woken up by it last night.

When the landlord calls around tonight I'd like to know what our options are. We'd like to make a go of the place but we're not sure how it'll work out when people are still up at 1-2am or doing their washing at night.

As we haven't signed the lease we're not obliged to stay there but would we lose our deposit and our months rent? I don't want to move again but if the landlord isn't willing for us to make a go of the place and say have us move out after a few months if it hasn't worked out then we should go now rather than later.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

your only problem is a bit of noise from a water pump, and flushing toilets, my daughter stayed in one like that, took no notice, whin i would call and stay i would wear ear plugs, hey presto, solved.
    if that is your only problem, very small, ear plugs, your only man

• Registered Users Posts: 14,985 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

goat2 wrote: »
    your only problem is a bit of noise from a water pump, and flushing toilets, my daughter stayed in one like that, took no notice, whin i would call and stay i would wear ear plugs, hey presto, solved.
    if that is your only problem, very small, ear plugs, your only man

Thanks earplugs have been tried with no luck as has a radio in the background to cancel out the noise. It doesn't bother myself but the fact is the lady in question is a light sleeper and this is a problem.

We've had apartments in the past which were just fine but this one doesn't look like it will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Thanks earplugs have been tried with no luck as has a radio in the background to cancel out the noise. It doesn't bother myself but the fact is the lady in question is a light sleeper and this is a problem.

We've had apartments in the past which were just fine but this one doesn't look like it will be.

I'm confused - are you the OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Xiney wrote: »
    I'm confused - are you the OP?

If it is, this is the second apartment he's wanted out of as soon as he's moved in, in the space of a couple of months!

Was this noise really not evident when you were viewing the place?

Perhaps you should be renting a house rather than an apartment - in case it's escaped your notice, a large percentage of apartments in Ireland built in the last 10 years are of poor quality and noise is an issue in many.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

And there was another last year too.....

eth0_ wrote: »
    If it is, this is the second apartment he's wanted out of as soon as he's moved in, in the space of a couple of months!

Was this noise really not evident when you were viewing the place?

Perhaps you should be renting a house rather than an apartment - in case it's escaped your notice, a large percentage of apartments in Ireland built in the last 10 years are of poor quality and noise is an issue in many.

• Advertisement

Whoops yep, Morawa is the girlfriends account and Kintaro mine. Two browsers, two users!

Yep we're potentially moving out again. We thought we had chosen well with this place, it's top floor, modern, the two bedrooms aren't backing onto anyone else's apartment, it's in a very secure gated location.

It would be perfect, really it would be apart from the pump. It's not the kinda thing you think to check and no it wasn't evident when we checked the place out. I'll link to a YouTube video when I find my phone cable.
    eth0_ wrote: »

Unfortunately we've only just realised that a house is probably what suits us best. I'm aware that some apartments can be horrible but both recent places seemed like good choices initially. We've rented apartments previously that were perfect in regards to noise but we moved for other reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I moved into a place recently where trains run directly at the back of the property until around 1.20am and start again around 5am ish. At first I thought I would never get used to it and kept waking up when the first train went past. It's been a few months now and I don't even hear them anymore tbh.

Maybe if you gave it a few weeks your girlfriend would become accustomed to the sounds? If the apartment is perfect in every other way, seems a lot of hassle to move yet again.

Unless you are living in a detached house, you have to expect some sort of noise from neighbours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I lived in a place like that in sandyford. Nothing you can do about it really. It comes with living in a built up area. We have a house now and you can still hear our neighbours coughing, laughing, partying, screwing. You just learn to ignore it. You will never be happy if you have lots of little problems like that, you know?

Guys I know I know. I don't have a problem with the noise myself, I'm a heavy sleeper. Yeah she expects there to be noise of some sort, it comes with living in the city. The problem is that we have lived in apartments previously where there was no 'disturbing' noise like this. Yep you'd hear things from the courtyard or dogs barking outside. These noises she can live with.

The problem with the water pump is that one moment the place is silent and then the next a neighbours pump is going like a bat out of all. It's the sudden jolt from silence to a hard rough unnatural sound that's the problem.

I don't mean to offend you OP but I really think your girlfriend is being a bit unreasonable expecting you guys to go through the hassle of moving everytime a place has a bit of noise. I mean, you have only been there a few days.

Has she tried any of the ambient sound apps you can download to block out any background noise, stuff like running water/rainfall etc? I find these work for me if my neighbours are playing loud music.

I doubt the landlord will be impressed with you wanting to leave so soon but the only thing you can do is explain the situation to her and see how she takes it!

Best of luck

• Advertisement

Ah she's not being unreasonable and she doesn't expect us to move. She resigned herself to staying here but I'm encouraging her to move. The last place we lived in was a wasted year. She wasn't happy, we didn't do much or go places so I really want to avoid another 'wasted' year.

I haven't tried the ambient background noise thing, would a radio playing in the background not be the same thing?

You're right about the landlord, I can't imagine that they'd be too happy alright. I can only hope they are understanding. They left us on Friday without signing the lease or the PRTB form to see what we thought. I'm hoping that they were trying to be fair with us. I thought it was unusual that they didn't ask us to sign the forms there and then. That maybe they wanted us to be sure about the place as we had mentioned very specifically that we were looking for somewhere quiet. I had turned down a previous apartment from them as it wasn't top floor.

Ah she's not being unreasonable and she doesn't expect us to move. She resigned herself to staying here but I'm encouraging her to move. The last place we lived in was a wasted year. She wasn't happy, we didn't do much or go places so I really want to avoid another 'wasted' year.

I haven't tried the ambient background noise thing, would a radio playing in the background not be the same thing?

You're right about the landlord, I can't imagine that they'd be too happy alright. I can only hope they are understanding. They left us on Friday without signing the lease or the PRTB form to see what we thought. I'm hoping that they were trying to be fair with us. I thought it was unusual that they didn't ask us to sign the forms there and then. That maybe they wanted us to be sure about the place as we had mentioned very specifically that we were looking for somewhere quiet. I had turned down a previous apartment from them as it wasn't top floor.

I'd imagine she just thought it was a done deal and that you wouldn't back out after moving your stuff in and all that. Seeing as you haven't actually signed anything, you're not bound by the terms of the lease so probably could expect your deposit back. The fact that have explicitly stated you want somewhere quiet will probably help your case.

For me, I wouldn't be able to sleep with a radio or music playing but for some reason the ambient sounds really do work, esp when I listen to them with headphones. I think its because its more of a constant drone as opposed to music or voices on the radio? If she has an iPhone or iPod Touch there are a few apps on iTunes available.

I know how miserable it can be living somewhere you just don't like so hopefully you get it sorted soon either way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

is this apartment in waterford, with beautiful view out of one bedroom and kitchen diner of water and boats below, if so the landlord there is brilliant and honest, as one of my family dealt with him he was easy about the signatures not this big fuss at all they signed a few days after she moned in, there was this water pump in the apartment which was a bit noisy, but earplugs did the trick,it was a beautiful apartment and comfy and cozy it had everything

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I'm starting to wonder if the two of you are impossible to please, is all.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

:pac::pac::pac:.

KH...if I could link a facepalm motif I would. :D

There are different kinds of ear plugs and they take time to get used to.

I use then here as I also am a light sleeper, and they work fine if they are the right ones; others did not work well.

It is very quiet up here but cars pass loudly at times; which is the same as your sudden loud noise. They come home from the pub etc as late as 4 am these mountainey folk ;)

The sounds- they call it "white noise" in the US - did not work for me but do for many.

Also it does take time to settle in a new place especially after so many moves.

Let time pass and try different ear plugs.

I bought new ones yesterday and they are great.

Actually I'm probably the easiest going guy you could meet. We aren't hard to please at all, we just want somewhere relatively quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

Actually I'm probably the easiest going guy you could meet. We aren't hard to please at all, we just want somewhere relatively quiet.

OP, I think it is very difficult to define what relatively quiet is. I know that Ithink our apt is relatively quiet as we are not near the carpark or the playground area.

That said I honestly think that expecting everyones water pump is totally unrealistic. When you live in a communal building you will always some noise from your neighbours.

I know when I was living in my parents I would sometimes here the neighbours water tank - and that was in an old semi-d with good insulation.

I think what you are looking for is total silence and bar you move to the country with no neighbours within 5 miles you are unlikely to find that.

Sorry if this seems rude,

Little Miss

...and then in the country there are farm animals, birds...tractors...;)

OP, I think it is very difficult to define what relatively quiet is. I know that Ithink our apt is relatively quiet as we are not near the carpark or the playground area.

That said I honestly think that expecting everyones water pump is totally unrealistic. When you live in a communal building you will always some noise from your neighbours.

I know when I was living in my parents I would sometimes here the neighbours water tank - and that was in an old semi-d with good insulation.

I think what you are looking for is total silence and bar you move to the country with no neighbours within 5 miles you are unlikely to find that.

Sorry if this seems rude,

Little Miss

I realize we could look awkward but can you say that the noise below is acceptable? Imagine this at 2-3am. Bare in mind that it's recorded on a phone so it is even noisier than this in reality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Erm. Is that your pump or somebody elses?

Its not half as bad as my upstairs neighbour banging his slag 5 times a night which I am seriously tempted to broadcast to all of Ireland since they have such little shame in broadcasting their nocturnal activities to about 4 long suffering neighbours (thankfullly my lease expires in 2 months).

Apartments can be noisy, and plumbing standards down south are poor to say the least. I've a lot of friends who have major problems with the plumbing in houses (never mind apartments) built around 5 or 6 years ago. If it bothers you that much (and ambient sounds generally are something you get used to) then the country cottage option sounds like your only man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

I realize we could look awkward but can you say that the noise below is acceptable? Imagine this at 2-3am. Bare in mind that it's recorded on a phone so it is even noisier than this in reality.

I am going to assume that it is your pump that I can hear in that clip - and tbh it sounds exactly like the water pump in my apt.

Our pump is just across the hall from my bedroom and I can hear it whenever water is used. I can sometimes hear my neighbours pump when it is deadly quiet at night but I think that is a fairly normal pump noise.

OP I really think to find the level of quiet you are looking for you will need to move to a detatched house which is well set back from roads etc.

I hope the LL lets you leave as there is nothing worse than renting somewhere that you hate.

Little Miss

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

That's it? Seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭loveacca

If that is someone elses toilet I hope they don't get a touch of the runs during the night. Can you talk to the neighbours and explain the situation to them, if you let them hear the noise they might oblige with a 'no flushing unless it is a big number 2' after 11 at night policy.
    They may well be experiencing the same problem as yourself

shoegirl wrote: »
    Erm. Is that your pump or somebody elses?
    I am going to assume that it is your pump that I can hear in that clip - and tbh it sounds exactly like the water pump in my apt.

Yep that's our pump as I just grabbed the video this morning on the way out. While the neighbours isn't as loud it's still noticeable if you're unfortunate to be a light sleeper!

That's it? Seriously?

You don't think that's noisy?
    loveacca wrote: »
    Can you talk to the neighbours and explain the situation to them, if you let them hear the noise they might oblige with a 'no flushing unless it is a big number 2' after 11 at night policy.
    They may well be experiencing the same problem as yourself

I suppose we could try that alright but to be honest this has made us realize that a house is really what we need. I hope the landlord lets us go but I can understand if they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

Your footsteps walking from room to room are louder. I couldn't hear any pump! :confused:

Kimia wrote: »
    Your footsteps walking from room to room are louder. I couldn't hear any pump! :confused:

So you didn't hear alot of noise in that clip, I thought it was quite clear myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

No, genuinely! I'm not just saying it - all i heard was you walking around on the wooden floors..

I live there and I'm saying it is noisy. It's impossible to convey this on a forum and the video isn't completely accurate. Regardless of that it's gone way off topic.

The question I originally asked is 'As we haven't signed a lease yet, can we finish out our month there and get our deposit back?'.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

okay, i listened to that about 5 times before i could hear the pump.

that just standard apartment noise, after 2 weeks you wont hear it anymore.

otherwise you only other alternative is to move into the country.

i live a terraced house an sometimes i can hear my neighbours but it wouldnt make me move.

Advertisement