Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Metrolink (just Metrolink posts here -see post #1 )

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

DWCommuter wrote: »
    What money? By the way you don't choose to live in recession. Its dictated by bigger forces. Furthermore it is very likely that we could be 2 decades in recession. Therefore you should prepare yourself for that loss of faith in the system. I grew up in the 70s and 80s so I know all about losing faith.
    Money is an arbitrary notion. We can "borrow" what we want or need to build.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

In fairness Tremelo, I've often made the same remarks on this thread. I'm not back seat modding, but I have to admit that when I read recent posts, I was a little taken aback, by the sudden onset of technical discussion for a project that is extremely unlikely to be built in the near future. When one considers how close it was to construction with expectations very high, even I feel that its recent negative sounding publicity hardly warrants a return to discussing its technical aspects. Of course I'm not trying to say that it shouldn't be discussed, but there are those of us who will express surprise.

Personally I find it a bit bizzare and I'd like to think I could express that without it being construed as trolling.

If framed in a more constructive way, there is no problem (apart from the fact that it's already been said umpteen times). Anyhow entering into a discussion about a specific area in this thread and just blurting out "It'll never be built - wake up lads!" is unconstructive in my opinion (and not just in my opinion, in fact) and can lead to flaming. Matter is closed I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Money is an arbitrary notion. We can "borrow" what we want or need to build.

Funnily enough, this was true in the 70s/80s when the Government directed CIE to borrow for DART instead of using EEC funding allocated to it. (it went elsewhere) However we are in very different times now. We can't borrow from international markets due to the prohibitive interest rate. We are already over extended. Our borrowings from the IMF/EU are under a spotlight and earmarked for other causes. There is no viable financial route for MN as things stand. Bidders are already struggling to raise money under the PPP concept and our Government is questioning our ability to repay any debt incurred under a PPP.

This is actually worse than the 80s.

Tremelo wrote: »
    "It'll never be built - wake up lads!" is unconstructive in my opinion.

I respect that the matter is closed and all I can say is that the above comment is in fact a very constructive one, which I may have the opportunity to articulate as the thread develops.

Funnily enough, this was true in the 70s/80s when the Government directed CIE to borrow for DART instead of using EEC funding allocated to it. (it went elsewhere) However we are in very different times now. We can't borrow from international markets due to the prohibitive interest rate. We are already over extended. Our borrowings from the IMF/EU are under a spotlight and earmarked for other causes. There is no viable financial route for MN as things stand. Bidders are already struggling to raise money under the PPP concept and our Government is questioning our ability to repay any debt incurred under a PPP.

This is actually worse than the 80s.

your-guide-to-budget-new.jpg

There are always solutions and not building infrastructure is never one of them.

• Advertisement

your-guide-to-budget-new.jpg

There are always solutions and not building infrastructure is never one of them.

Show me the money.

Show me the money.
    Well the EIB has already approved 500m and there seems to be an idea floating around that EIB is considering offering up to 1bn for the project if smaller amounts can be taken in from multiple banks.

I don't for a second think, either, that more funding from the EIB is unlikely for this project. Especially considering their stance on reviving the capital markets.

Well the EIB has already approved 500m and there seems to be an idea floating around that EIB is considering offering up to 1bn for the project if smaller amounts can be taken in from multiple banks.

I don't for a second think, either, that more funding from the EIB is unlikely for this project. Especially considering their stance on reviving the capital markets.

I see a shred of hope, but not the money.

I see a shred of hope, but not the money.
    It's fine to not be overly optimistic about the project going ahead, but to say that it's because there is no way of paying for it is just wrong.

The government needs to actively lead this project and not just sit around and wait for it to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭dynamick

I don't think it's pointless to discuss the metro at this stage. Although it's looking unlikely the tunnel will start in the next 5 years, it is possible that BXD will be built and that provision for Metro North will be made by building a couple of empty station boxes, improving its business case in future years as these will be sunk costs.

There is still a multibillion, multiannual capital budget with IMF approval so some projects have to proceed. There is also the possibility that the EU may fund some projects or simply guarantee the PPP payments on them in return for our compliance with their programme. (There is massive pressure already in government to cancel all capital spending rather than reduce welfare and ps pay further - the capital review in September will surely feature further capital reductions)

For Derek and Thomas it must be very disappointing to see years of campaigning fall at the last hurdle. Just as planning is finally being granted, the state runs out of money. It's a reminder of the importance of priorities in government. Every party has a tendency to claim to support many capital projects at the same time but setting a project at low enough priority is tantamount to cancellation. How many times have we heard opposition to even the most modest of transport projects opposed on the grounds that it's a good project but it's not the right time to do it now?

If either the grangegorman campus project (486m) or the National Childrens hospital (650m) proceed, then they will add to the case for BXD & MN. The Mater station box may need to be built as part of the hospital redevelopment.

MN may proceed the same way as DU with many affordable small projects like electrification, stations boxes and enabling works proceeding and the billion euro tunnel left till last.

• Advertisement

It's fine to not be overly optimistic about the project going ahead, but to say that it's because there is no way of paying for it is just wrong.

The government needs to actively lead this project and not just sit around and wait for it to happen.

You obviously missed a lot of what Ive said over the years. Even back in the good days of plenty of money, I was critical of Government policy re MN and DU. They fudged the matter time and time again. There was a distinct lack of real will to implement these projects. We had the money for them. But the reality now is that no matter how much will or good intentions the Government have, the financial side of things has collapsed like a deck of cards.

You obviously missed a lot of what Ive said over the years. Even back in the good days of plenty of money, I was critical of Government policy re MN and DU. They fudged the matter time and time again. There was a distinct lack of real will to implement these projects. We had the money for them. But the reality now is that no matter how much will or good intentions the Government have, the financial side of things has collapsed like a deck of cards.
    I've been following this thread from the start and at times I wish I hadn't.

I just don't necessarily believe that a government that had the will and the desire (and the understanding why they SHOULD have that will and desire) to go ahead with a large scale infrastructure project such as this would have their hands tied by "lack of funding".

On a macroeconomic point, I just don't believe it's true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

DW, I see your point, but do you not agree that decent mass transit is an absolutely essential element of a productive western economy?

Do you think Ireland can generate the necessary economic capacity without mass transit in its main city? Isn't that how we pay our debts, by generating wealth? How can we do that, if we don't have the basic elements in place?

The view of many that MN/DU are some sort of "luxury" items is absurd. If these same geniuses ran a 5-star restaurant they'd probably save money by not buying a dishwasher. Or hiring waiters.

To build is expensive, disruptive, and a pain in the hole. No question about it. But not to build would be unfathomably stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Jack Noble

D.L.R. wrote: »
    DW, I see your point, but do you not agree that decent mass transit is an absolutely essential element of a productive western economy?

Do you think Ireland can generate the necessary economic capacity without mass transit in its main city? Isn't that how we pay our debts, by generating wealth? How can we do that, if we don't have the basic elements in place?

The view of many that MN/DU are some sort of "luxury" items is absurd. If these same geniuses ran a 5-star restaurant they'd probably save money by not buying a dishwasher. Or hiring waiters.

To build is expensive, disruptive, and a pain in the hole. No question about it. But not to build would be unfathomably stupid.

Unfathomly stupid - a perfect discription of Irish politicians, civil servants, bankers and voters over the the last two decades.

We are where we are...

I agree and the time to do it was during the good times or at least when we could borrow the money and didn't have the bank debts chained to our necks. If the Government can find a way to still do it now, then well done, but I can't see it.

Jack Noble wrote: »
    Unfathomly stupid - a perfect discription of Irish politicians, civil servants, bankers and voters over the the last two decades.

We are where we are...

Correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

But where are we going? ;)

But where are we going? ;)

I think we should go right back to letting people talk about MNs chances of having the station boxes built as part of Luas BXD. Apologies for being so passionate about the likely demise of MN and subsequent reaction to discussion here. I'll explain in another post.

It looks likely that BXD is a potentially Government backed goer, but my main concern is that MN related work wouldn't be carried out. Can any of you agree that BXD could possibly be built with no major regard to future proofing MN?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Can any of you agree that BXD could possibly be built with no major regard to future proofing MN?:eek:

With regard to f**king up public transport in this country, anything is possible. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 26,183 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I personally have no doubt that the North West badly needs this for themselves.

Unfortunately (inevitably? logically?) the debate has been about whether or not it would be good for the economy.

Being from the North East and having the Dart I honestly feel for my brthern out west who have nothing but buses whilst other parts of the city have a Luas.

I'm taking my national good hat off for the moment just to say there is no doubt this is needed - whether or not the CBA on a national level justifies it is a seperate matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭etchyed

Can any of you agree that BXD could possibly be built with no major regard to future proofing MN?:eek:
    Terrifying and entirely possible.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Anything is possible, when the WRC was actually a live project didn't IE go ahead and cut the northern portion of it off in Athenry.

If BXD is chosen there is no way it should be built without the OCB station box for MN as part of the enabling works. Seeing as the RPA is responsible for planning both MN and BXD they should be abolished forthwith if they even try.

It also struck me that the enabling works for BXD will take a lot longer than the enabling works for MN by itself would.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭rameire

good morning all.

I was listening to the last word, i think it was wednesday.
    and the FG td was on talking about the jobs budget ( "initiative" )
    that is to be announced in May.

he was stating it would be tax neutral, and that they would be announcing projects that would be most productive, would be most beneficial for the economy, and the projects that are ready to go.

from what i took it they would be announcing that either the MN or DU will go ahead.
    seen as the DU is not ready to go, this would leave the MN ready to progress.

so I would believe we will find out in May if the MN will be green lit.
    and if it is not announced then, I would believe it is scrapped.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Cathaoirleach

rameire wrote: »
    so I would believe we will find out in May if the MN will be green lit.
    and if it is not announced then, I would believe it is scrapped.

"The minister says that a final call will be made in September, which is the deadline for his review of all capital spending within his department. That gives him the summer to ponder his verdict."

http://www.herald.ie/national-news/varadkar-cant-afford-to-blunder-over-rail-plans-in-his-first-real-test-2614808.html

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭busman

"The minister says that a final call will be made in September, which is the deadline for his review of all capital spending within his department. That gives him the summer to ponder his verdict."

http://www.herald.ie/national-news/varadkar-cant-afford-to-blunder-over-rail-plans-in-his-first-real-test-2614808.html

http://www.irishexaminer.ie/breakingnews/ireland/metro-north-and-dart-projects-unlikely-to-go-ahead-varadkar-502111.html

No money = No surprise

busman wrote: »

We guessed correctly once he renamed BXD to the grandiose "Luas Interconnector" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Jack Noble

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    We guessed correctly once he renamed BXD to the grandiose "Luas Interconnector" :)

Whatever about postponing Metro and Dart until better times as the railway orders have 10-year life spans, building Luas BXD them is insanity.

Luas doesn't have the capacity or growth potential. We know that now - why repeat the same expensive mistake?

Apart from for the classic FF reason of 'doing something'! Madness.

It provides a link from parts of NW Dublin to the centre ...in fairness. Especially if you live in Leos constituency :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

BXD won't even go into his constituency though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭strassenwo!f

Finally, thanks to Easter, I've a bit of time to reply to this one.
    monument wrote: »
    Not to be smart here, again, but how many metro stations have you seen?
    I've seen stations in Berlin, LA, DC, Paris, London, Budapest, Vienna, Shanghai, Warsaw, Prague etc.... Even taken into account that most of these are much larger than Dublin, the proposed station at O'Connell Bridge does not seem like a big deal. It seems somewhere between modest and middle of the road for a main central station.

Well, I can say for certain that I'm not as well travelled as you, but I've seen and used quite a number of stations on different metro systems over the years. Enough, I hope, for me to be allowed make a comment on boards.ie on the plans for Dublin.

The O'Connell Bridge station is not a "main central station" in the sense that one might understand it in other cities, i.e., a central station where there is an interchange with other underground lines and perhaps with mainline rail. At this station there is no interchange with anything, unless you're counting the Red LUAS.

For example, the "main central station" - in my understanding of the term - with which I am most familiar is Frankfurt Hauptbahnhof, which combines Germany's busiest mainline station at ground level with an S-Bahn level and a U-Bahn level. Three levels in total. It is commonplace for interchange stations to have multiple levels. As you undoubtedly know, one doesn't have to go far from Dublin to see other good examples of interchange stations with multiple levels- Euston, King's Cross, Victoria, etc., in London.

What I think one would have to go farther to see is a non-interchange station of the scale of the proposed O'Connell Bridge station. I'm sure I've never seen one, and I strongly doubt if you have either, despite your extensive travels.

"Modest" and "middle of the road", eh? - Are you sure?:confused:
    No, I don’t, it seems normal. You’re making a mountain out of nothing.

With any kind of context the entrance boxes aren’t "an awful lot of construction". The contents of these cut and cover boxes are normal – ticket halls, escalators, elevators, vents, services etc.

Multi-level entrances are quite normal in underground -- and even in elevated -- metro stations.

Underground stations obviously need all these things. However, the standard arrangement which I've seen for non-interchange stations has been a level below street level for the stuff you mention (ticket machines, maps of the area, timetables, a few shops, etc.) and a level beneath that again for the platforms, i.e. a two-level station. (Occasionally I've come across non-interchange stations where there is another level, for example to accomodate a situation like the one that Cormac Rabbitte was talking about on this thread - i.e. where trains on the same "line" are stacked: Frankfurt's U4 would be a good example). For a non-interchange station, the station at O'Connell Bridge does seem to be quite different.
    It really does not seem like a "colossal" station, it’s small compared to some far more minor stations on some of the metros mentioned at the top of the post. Multi-level entrances are quite normal in underground -- and even in elevated -- metro stations.

No, it's not small, at all. There are two 4-level station boxes, each in or around 80 metres long. Either one of these boxes would certainly be deeper and probably (in terms of overall construction area) also bigger than any other underground station on this planned Dublin metro, bar the proposed station at St. Stephen's Green. (but indeed certainly deeper and probably overall much larger than the "metro" part of that station).

Yet the RPA are planning to build two (yes, that's right - 2) such boxes and, instead of the platforms being part of these boxes (as they usually are in other cities) they are to be an additional cost. I fully understand that this is of necessity, in order to link the two boxes, but it is a considerable extra cost, nonetheless.

In terms of the amount of construction materials and construction manpower required, what is effectively being proposed for O'Connell Bridge is (i) an eight(8)-level non-interchange station and (ii) a mined section to produce a pair of platforms which, as you pointed out, also take up a considerable area (and will thus consume a lot of manpower and construction materials). And all of this to provide just one stop on Dublin's proposed metro.

I think it is frankly absurd for you to suggest that this is a small station, by any measure, and I very, very sincerely doubt you can provide an example of apparently "minor" stations which are actually larger.
    One of the stations is at O'Connell Street, you’ve yet to demonstrate how a station at College Green / Trinity would limit impacts.

It seems like two stations would increases impacts.

A station as you’re suggestion "directly under" the Luas line would cause lots of needless disruptions. And any closer to the Spire would be worse again.

Blocking up the areas around College Green would also most likely increase, not decrease, impacts.

The metro routes presented in the original consultation included two stations in the relevant area (at Trinity and O'Connell Street). I've seen plenty of statements that the advantages of the later O'Connell Bridge idea were primarily related to cost, but none to the effect that the advantages were related to impact on the city.

(However, all of that was of course before the cold light of day....before it came around to what is actually involved in designing a station either side of a river...)

Whatever is done, when a station is built in the centre of a city, there will be an impact. If you don't want any impact, don't go around putting in underground stations, or LUAS lines, or in fact anything.

Perhaps you could clarify what you mean by "impact", as there would be positive eventual impacts associated with two stations over just one (e.g. by improving catchment efficiency when the project is complete), and negative impacts (on traffic, local businesses, etc.) during construction of station boxes.

For my part, I really don't know if the negative impact would be greater or smaller, or about the same, with: (a) a station box on O'Connell Street and a station box on Westmoreland Street, to provide the city with one metro station, versus (b) the earlier idea of a station box on O'Connell Street and a station box in or around College Green, to provide the city with two. These are all very busy areas, and the city is certainly going to see a few tears shed along the way, before the metro comes into operation. Perhaps the RPA documentation might throw some light on this?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement