Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Electric car Launch - Dunlaoghire.

Options
  • 08-03-2010 3:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Once A Spot-lighted topic, has now become a faint glow of Electric Green!

Anyone who has a interest in Electric cars and their introduction on to Irish Roads and the Local welcoming of these green vehicles from Dunlaoghire and Rathdown Council to establish a network of charging points and free parking bays, might wonder why nothing has come about!

Ok, I understand that plans need to be drawn, papers signed, "i"'s Dotted and other relevant details finalised before Dublin city councils can launch into spending vasts amount of money on something which one would ask,
    Do we really need?

Having lived in London and being the owner of a Reva G wiz electric car, the stipulations set by London Westminster Council are fantastic for Electric car owners.

Free Road Tax.
    Free parking.
    Free charging. ( Yes free electricity)

A small car, just for the city, max speed 60/70kph. There is no fancy gear, They are the definition of basic practicality, Roy Croppers wettest dream with room for Haley and a few Roles in the back - this car will be dispised by car lovers, Jeremy and the Top Gear Crew!

These are all fantastic factors in a city where there is a severe limitation for space allocated to parking at a hightened cost of £1 for 15mins, thats £4 per hour, or 5.50euro an hour ( Depending on the exchange)

So, its expensive to park in London, but how much on average is an hours parking in Dublin city? 2.60euro on the street, maybe more in a multi storey car park, but my real question behind all of this, would it work here, would you buy an Electric car to have those savings?

Electric cars like the Reva G wiz are not cheap to buy here nor in the uk, Ok the savings are huge and of course the environmental effect, but is it enough? Is it enough to have a car that will cost zero on maintenance. Zero to park, Zero to tax, Zero to charge - (ok well 40cent for 50kilometres apprx if using your own home socket).

Is this introduction of parking/charging bays in Dublin a viable way of reducing city pollution or is all of this just a passing fad to titilize and tantilize the Green people on the Emerald Isle..?

"Plug out the telly on your way to bed, put out the cat, and put the car on charge"

Rally%205lowres.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

i wouldnt be seen dead in one of those noddy cars......i'll pay the taxes

• Registered Users Posts: 81,618 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Whats the Euro NCAP rating or are they exempt from these safety tests?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

Having lived in London and being the owner of a Reva G wiz electric car, the stipulations set by London Westminster Council are fantastic for Electric car owners.

Free Road Tax.
    Free parking.
    Free charging. ( Yes free electricity)

A small car, just for the city, max speed 60/70kph. There is no fancy gear]

Personally, I can't wait for proper cheap basic electric cars for doing the boring shuffle to work, so we can save our money and petrol for the weekend in a proper car.
    Basic, completely stripped out yokes meant for use in 50kph zones only, cheap as chips because of minimum safety features and simple transmission and basic motor..

What you forgot to mention is a government backed insurance system for owners of these cars, so those of us who want to have something interesting interesting for the weekend don't get @r$e-raped yet again by "no multi car policies" irish insurers.

I drive for two reasons - to get to and from work (EV would do fine), and for my own enjoyment at the weekend (EV's are a long way off this unless you want to spend megabucks). I don't buy a car to impress anyone unless - but I can see why those who do wouldn't go for that car in the link!

If somebody electrified a classic mini or Fiat 500 I'd have it in a flash...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Even in a non-city environement (based on my relatively low daily mileage) I would consider an electric car. But it would have to be something resembling a car, not a hamster cage like the gee-whiz (even if the pretty girl came with it)

I guess I'll give it another few years to see what comes on the market and how it works out before I commit to buying electric.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

When they are launching anything Tesla make here.. call me. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

So long as electricity is made from coal and peat burning power stations in the midlands then electric cars are a total waste of time. I have no objection what so ever to driving an electric car , infact the thoughts of a flat torque curve and instant power at any speed does it for me. But shifting the blame from the individual user to the power supplier is useless unless the enegy source for making the electricty is changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

a g-whiz.... not on your life...
    or i should say not on my life....
    check out this video:

If you are looking for an electric replacement to your current "do-everything" car, I agree with SaabEd and robtri, I think we are a long way off that yet.

If you consider it practically, as a vehicle for a specific purpose - zero(local)emissions commuting, then they make loads of sense.

I'd definitely say any current EVs should be confined to 50kph zones - if you start adding loads of weight for crumple zones, side impact, load of airbags then you are just adding more expense, weight and raising the motor spec required.

You'd have to bias law and insurance towards EV drivers, to drive the message home to larger ICE drivers to be careful while driving near EVs...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

I don't think they are classed as a car (EU cat M1), but a quadricycle. So come under different rules.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

robtri wrote: »
    or i chould say not on my life....
    check out this video:

Christ Almighty and to think I was offered(and considering) taking on a franchise for these things a while back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

check out this video:

:eek: You'd be safer on a bicycle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

check out this video:

That's a 60mph crash test. Even NCAP doesn't test it's car in 60mph (30mph/30mph) crashes. Most cars will fold like that at high speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Is this introduction of parking/charging bays in Dublin a viable way of reducing city pollution or is all of this just a passing fad to titilize and tantilize the Green people on the Emerald Isle..?

"

It's not a passing fad, and it's not something to titilize green people. Whether we like it or not most major car manufacturers are bringing out electric cars in the next 5 tears or so, Reanult aim to have one by 2011, BMW by 2015..

We can either have a small bit of forsight and put the infrastructure in now or do it the old fashioned Irish way, wait till it's far too late, realise nothing has been done, and start moaning on boards.ie about it.;)

Yes it's true that if the electricity is coming from peat and coal it's useless but there are other options, the amount of renewable is at 15% and I think it should be 40% by 2025. Either way, petrol will not get cheaper in the long run and electric or hydrogen is the way forward whether people like it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭DrivingsCool

langdang wrote: »

What you forgot to mention is a government backed insurance system for owners of these cars, so those of us who want to have something interesting interesting for the weekend don't get @r$e-raped yet again by "no multi car policies" irish insurers.

If somebody electrified a classic mini or Fiat 500 I'd have it in a flash...

With regard to the insurance, its a little complex, on the Registration Document its an Electric vehicle classed as a Quad. On Irish Roads because it is not infact a car, it is taxed as a motorcycle. As for insurance, I have checked with several companies and they wont do what you describe, hence having several insurance policies!

You mentioned an Electric Fiat 500, the old model here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1W757i_cD4 has been converted, and information on a fully electric new version fiat 500 called the E500 can be found here http://www.retrotogo.com/2008/07/e500---the-elec.html

"Now you have everything you could have wished for"

Regards.

Confab wrote: »
    That's a 60mph crash test. Even NCAP doesn't test it's car in 60mph (30mph/30mph) crashes. Most cars will fold like that at high speeds.

Its Good that they have this testing available, but this car is not for major roads at high speeds! My Reva i, G wiz, is quick but with the new speed limit in Dublin city, and a commute from Castleknock to the city centre daily, I dont think crash testing at 60mph will matter considering traffic delays!

I had thought about a scooter and a bicycle, but hate getting wet, plus mine has heated leather seats, Cd player and can carry 4 people! plus its hilarious to drive in Dublin!:D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Until an electric car can get me from here to Cork and back on half a charge, I'm sticking with a diesel; and until an electric car can get me up the M1 at (censored) mph without needing to be refilled till Belfast, I'm keeping a petrol one for fun.

I actually don't know *anyone* that meets the target audience of a G-Wiz. Even those that live and work in the city end up going home to Mammy down the country often enough./

"Now you have everything you could have wished for"
    Maybe, maybe not. Can't see the youtube here for the classic 500, but the modern electric cars are just too pricey for a mangey f3cker like me:
    " Essentially this is your average Fiat 500 (with all the attributes, refinement, crash safety and warranty) - but without the emissions."

What I think we should all have the option to use is basically an electric trabant for the 21st century.... fair enough if you want to spend more to get all the comforts and safety, but we shouldn't be forced into it just for trundling to work in the rain.

A scheme like the Dublin bikes for people commuting from longer distances?
    Drive your ICE car as far as park-and-ride, hope in your electric trabant and away you go... less congestion, less emissions generated within in the city...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Personally Id be really interested to see someone take old cars (Carbon Footprint already paid..) and retrofit an Electric Engine to augment the ICE. Anyone do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

"....would you buy an Electric car to have those savings?..."

NO, i would think about motorbike

G wizz :D as safe shopping trolley with washing machine motor and really environment unfriendly battery..... pushed of the road by white vans but probably would end up on the roof even when parked .....turned over by local skangers;)

electric car should have at least solid 300km range and charge time (batt cell replacement) around 10min instead of 8 hours..... and what we do with old batteries? can they make them from candy and dissolve them in water?

dont know anybody that will buy Gwizz but i can see people going for these once price is right :

http://www.carsuk.net/audi-a1-e-tron-detail-its-a-wankel-electric/

http://automobiles.honda.com/cr-z/

".......I dont think crash testing at 60mph will matter considering traffic delays!......."

it will matter if you are at end of the traffic and are rear ended by some woman on the phone ......claiming she didnt see your tail lights......i learned the hard way

this always makes me laugh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pethi045NjI

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Confab wrote: »
    The video you quoted says that it was at 40mph. Any evidence/link that suggests otherwise?

for comparison, a mark 6 golf also tested at 40mph:

I just don't see any sense in it. Compared to a €15000 g-whizz, a €500 micra would be significantly safer, useful outside of town, and cheaper to own, even assuming dublin follows london's model.

• Advertisement

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Christ Almighty and to think I was offered(and considering) taking on a franchise for these things a while back.

Goin Green, the company in London who market the Reva I as the G whiz, have sold 1000 of these EV Electric Vehicles.

There are only 2000 in the World so far, but A new version called the NXR resembling a modern version of a Fiat 127 is coming soon, too somewhat replace the current model.

1000 sales, how much commision would a retailer make?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

I think in order for this to catch on, the Goverment would need to offer a serious contribution to the cost of the car. I dont think there are many people who will buy a car that solely relies on electricity - most people will have the EV as a city car, but something nice for the weekends. I'd have no problems in something like this, as long as the cost to purchase were kept down.

The other rather large issue is charging points. We all know what Dublin city council and the Minister for the Enviroment, and energy are like, so what are the chances of have a large amount of reliable and low cost charging points in operation in the next, say 5 years? Slim to none.

Saab Ed also makes a valid point - whats the point in switching to EV's if you are simply increasing the amount of oil and coal burned, thus increasing CO2 emmisions?

I think the whole idea of EV's is good, but if it were to be put into practice now it would fail horribly. The infrastructure just isnt there at the minute.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Goin Green, the company in London who market the Reva I as the G whiz, have sold 1000 of these EV Electric Vehicles.

There are only 2000 in the World so far, but A new version called the NXR resembling a modern version of a Fiat 127 is coming soon, too somewhat replace the current model.

1000 sales, how much commision would a retailer make?

I think when I was looking it was around 500 euros per unit sold.

1000 in the Uk with a population of 56million???
    So you`d probably sell what about 3 here???

Wasnt worth it when I looked at the figures.You`d need to sell at least 200 per year to make a wage out of it after your franchise is paid for and your premises.
    €500 x 200 is 100k
    Franchise I think was 25k and premises to their spec was around the same.Leaving you with 50k for overheads.You`d be lucky to come out with 30k a year wages.And that was running it as a one man show--theres no maintenance on these except for a set of pads once every 2 years assuming nothing else goes wrong so you wouldnt really need a mechanic employed.

Maybe in a few years it might be worth it but not now.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Forget the rating. Hit anything bigger than a kitten & you will die.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

or i should say not on my life....
    check out this video:

Yep, anything on this page, is safer. At least you're wearing proper gear.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭mondeo

I'd rather be seen in this then a G whiz....., at least when the battery runs out in this I can peddle it down the canal rd..

[IMG][/img]PowerWheelsBarbieJamminJeepElectric.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

Hydrogen is the way forward...

http://automobiles.honda.com/fcx-clarity/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭itarumaa

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Personally Id be really interested to see someone take old cars (Carbon Footprint already paid..) and retrofit an Electric Engine to augment the ICE. Anyone do it?

They did that in Finland. Toyota Corolla with electric motors etc. Cost of the change is around 17000-18 000 euros:D + the car.

http://www.sahkoautot.fi/eng

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

itarumaa wrote: »
    They did that in Finland. Toyota Corolla with electric motors etc. Cost of the change is around 17000-18 000 euros:D + the car.

http://www.sahkoautot.fi/eng

or these guys show you how to do it all for $260.oo ha ha :eek::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    http://www.gas2electricity.com/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Matt Simis wrote: »

http://www.evalbum.com/689
    :D

Advertisement