Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford United

Options
  • 05-03-2010 11:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭

Just in case your interested the blues start there league campaign tonight. Playing at home to Wexford... good squad and a good manager playing well pre-season.... KO 7.45

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

v surprised not 1 reply to this yet , i was at game played alot better in 2nd half could of bein easily 4 or 5 but 3-0 will do , pity it dont get full stadium tho ,i heard 650 turned up , crazy when you think of the amount of people who travel to dublin for hurling games each summer . i will try get down for most home games again .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭decies

650 plus season tickets which are not counted, so apparently near 1000 .

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

It's a real sore point for me that they aren't supported.

I didn't miss a home game in the space of maybe 3 or 4 years in my late teens but working in retail Friday nights became impossible and I haven't been in a couple of years.

They would have a great wide fan base if the marketed themselves a bit better IMO. Kids get in free with a guardian that kind of crack!

I was seriously thinking of going back this year cause I'm in a position now to get away early on a Friday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

i was in the same boat Z

was a season ticket holder for 5 years then work commitments got in the way!

pleased to say i am back this season though! division one is the place to be this year, some great games to look forward to

i agree with the marketing idea, there is so much the club could be doing to increase fan base and revenue but they dont seem to be able to for some reason

• Registered Users Posts: 4,228 ✭✭✭bullpost

Might be an idea for them to have a campaign and use some of the high-profile hurlers to entice some of the huge hurling fanbase to the games e.g posters with pics of Mullane, Ken and Eoin Kelly promoting the team.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

They played the hurlers in a game not to long ago right?

But ya, there at least 10 things I can think of off the bat that might get a few in the gate!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭south

didn't look like a 1000 at the game the other night.wasn't a bad match either. wexford were poor enough after the sending off. just letting people know the prices have come down to €13 for a ticket and €8 for unemployed/student.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Eamo87

8 euro is very reasonable, haven't seen a match out in the RSC in ages. I'd love to go out there again the next time I get the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭savic04

i was there and brought my nephew... still think 17 euro for adult and child is too dear to watch 1st div standard...

I would have to agree!

I think 10 for aldult 5 for child is fairly reasonable.

• Advertisement

Its a pity because i have been going off and on for the past few years when i can... the facilites are very good, but the price for 1st div is too dear..

I was talkin to a few mates who I used to go with , asking them would they be interested in going and when i said prices, they said NO... granted i didnt know the 8eur for unemplyed/students.........

Its a real shame they aint doing well in the premier league...
    What people forget is that Waterford hurlers get a good support because they are playing at the very highest standard.....they are prob in the top 3 teams in country (maybe not now, but they have been) so its like Waterford Utd fighting for the premier league title.. of course they would be supported... When the hurlers started bad last year, knocked out early in Munster... very few people went to them qualifier games before the 1/4 final in All ireland..... so its all the one... Waterford sporting fans crave success(even supporting Munster in rugby) just like any other I suppose, but they wont support a team mid table in 1st div... vicious circle really, WUFC needs support to get good players to get them to PL.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

decies wrote: »
    650 plus season tickets which are not counted, so apparently near 1000 .

ye we asked a steward on way out how many did he think were at game he said 650 and seemed confident , me and my friend were thinking during game maybe 550 didnt look like 1000 were at it but maybe their was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

Any idea when the next home game is and are any on Friday night? Thinking of bringing my little lad to the game.

Memory of games I have gone to is little atmosphere and always freezing cold. The stadium (with two openings and a running track) ruins any chance of atmosphere being at the game !! ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Waterford United website:- http://www.waterford-united.ie/

Next home game is 19 Mar 10 against Derry City.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

Go On the BLUES!!!!

Good heap of local lads involved too which is always nice to see!

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Bluezar

ziedth wrote: »
    They played the hurlers in a game not to long ago right?

But ya, there at least 10 things I can think of off the bat that might get a few in the gate!

Wel bud,
    I go to every game home and away and of course we all think of things the club should be doing differant.
    What ideas you got?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Think I might try make the Derry match, haven't been in a few years but Fridays are certainly better than Saturdays. Anyone reckon Saturday or Sunday afternoon matches would be any good? Or would the clashes with Premiership / Heineken Cup keep people away?

mozattack wrote: »

Memory of games I have gone to is little atmosphere and always freezing cold. ;)

this is my memory from last friday gone let alone the last time you were there mate

Bluezar wrote: »
    Wel bud,
    I go to every game home and away and of course we all think of things the club should be doing differant.
    What ideas you got?

I don't mean to sound as if I'm complianing but I think simple things could make a big difference.

For example, players going to primary schools and helping the young kids train or the free kids with a guardian offer I mentioned before. It should be about trying to get young people in. Something like a hit the crossbar challenge in soccer am at Haf time I dunno something like pay €5 and the pot rolls over till someone gets it.

Anything really is my point to try and get a bit of interest. I remember when Paul mcgrath got involved and there was a genuine buzz around about the club.

If you want to have better numbers.. have an U11 match every game down there, and for the 15 mins at HT have an u9 match.....

• Advertisement

I don't mean to sound as if I'm complianing but I think simple things could make a big difference.

For example, players going to primary schools and helping the young kids train or the free kids with a guardian offer I mentioned before. It should be about trying to get young people in. Something like a hit the crossbar challenge in soccer am at Haf time I dunno something like pay €5 and the pot rolls over till someone gets it.

Anything really is my point to try and get a bit of interest. I remember when Paul mcgrath got involved and there was a genuine buzz around about the club.

,Just to clear up,I was'nt saying you were complaining, I was just curious.
    We used to have a few players go to schools a couple of years ago when we had a full time club Promotions Officer. That idea has fizzled out but I believe the players in schools could work if done properly.

I have been calling out for penalties/crossbar challenge at half time for a long time but to no avail. This is something simple that could be done easily and be very productive in terms of goodwill(if even done with u11's/12's) and attendance.

As for Paul Mc Grath, the less said the better there. I am a huge fan of his and I have had the pleasure of meeting him a couple of times but when he was involved with the Blues back in 2004, it was done as a publicity stunt to distract attention of the huge battle between Jimmy Mc Geough and our chairman at the time who sacked Jimmy.

I would just like to say that at the moment, the club is flying.
    1. We have a Board who are doing things properly
    2. We have a good squad and we are beginning to attract quality players who can see that the club is going in the right direction (e.g Liam Kearney).This squad has a huge chance of winning the league this year and getting promoted.
    3. There is a lot of goodwill towards the club at the moment.
    4. The West Waterford Supporters Club is beginning to run a bus from West Waterford for every home game which will hopefully result in 50 extra bums on seats.
    We have a huge game against Cork this Friday and I would urge everyone with any interest in the club to get down to Turners Cross and hopefully see the Blues topple the Cawkies!
    The Blues Supporter Club are running a bus/buses to the game and the return fare is just a 10e for BSC members/12e for non members.
    Contact Davy on 083-4033699 to book your seat

Oh god I'm well aware the Paul McGrath appointment was a stunt (god I miss jimmy :)) but the club was getting national press and like I said I remember major buzz about the place when he was first involved.

It all sounds very promising bluezar and I have very fond memories of games down in the RSC I think this thread might have actually gotten me interested in going back down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

I know some of the lads involved with the club and they are a decent crew who have worked very hard to get the club back on track. They were the first in with their licence application and again first to submit the audited accounts.

Over the past few years they have tried many initiatives to get bums on seats - apparently they gave out something like 2000 free tickets to schools last season and got 25 or so back.

They have dropped the prices this year so that means at least 50 more people must come through the gates in order to get back to the same level of income as last year!

It is my understanding that the wages are in the region of €5k per week so it is a tough ask to get that kind of money each week.

Obviously playing in the First Division is difficult and the Holy Grail is Premier Footbal but it seems to be chicken and egg! To get into the Premier you need a decent team which costs money but crowds, sponsors and the lack of support from the media and FAI for the First Division makes it so difficult!

I have my season ticket so will get to as many of the games as possible and I suppose threads like this might attract a few more!

Finally I think summer soccer has been a disaster! It's also perhaps a misnomer cos I was freezing there last Friday! At least I expected the weather to be cold when we had winter football! There are too many distractions in the summer such as the beach, BBQ' beer gardens etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭south

said i'd throw this up so people know whats on offer for the winners and runners-up of the league

FAI Prize Money for the Airtricity First Division Places

The FAI has reduced the prize fund payable to clubs competing in the Airtricity First Division. Most of the reduction will affect the higher finishers in the Division. First place prize money for the Premier Division has been reduced from €66,000 to €50,000 and second place has been reduced from €36,000 to €20,000.

FINAL LEAGUE POSITION
    VALUE of PRIZE MONEY

First Place Prize Money
    €50,000
    Second Place Prize Money
    €20,000
    Third Place Prize Money
    €13,000
    Fourth Place Prize Money
    €11,000
    Fifth Place Prize Money
    €10,000
    Sixth Place Prize Money
    €9,750
    Seventh Place Prize Money
    €9,000
    Eight Place Prize Money
    €8,500
    Ninth Place Prize Money
    €8,000
    Tenth Place Prize Money
    €7,500
    Eleventh Place Prize Money
    €7,250
    Twelfth Place Prize Money
    €7,000

Oh god I'm well aware the Paul McGrath appointment was a stunt (god I miss jimmy :)) but the club was getting national press and like I said I remember major buzz about the place when he was first involved.

It all sounds very promising bluezar and I have very fond memories of games down in the RSC I think this thread might have actually gotten me interested in going back down.

Great to hear:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

just throwing in my tuppence , i remember some uk club not too long ago struggling financially and also with very low attendances , they decided to let the person attending the game decide how much they wanted to pay to watch the game , fantastic idea to get bums on seats , an empty seat generates nothing , if a person pays 2 euros to watch the blues , they might buy a burger and drink and maybe a program , it might be the start of the attendances getting better and who know's from there.

Good idea, kinda screws the season ticket holders though.

Maybe it could work for cup games?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

Good idea, kinda screws the season ticket holders though.

Maybe it could work for cup games?

a season ticket holder has a long term interest in the club , leaving someone into a game for whatever they want to pay is not gonna be a permanent price as that would not be fair to a season ticket holder , the idea is to get people interested in waterford united and not shafting the real long term fans

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭sydsad

great start for em. Hopefully they can push on and get promoted.

I went through a period for a few years supporting em non stop, going to away matches and everything. Good stuff. From the time just before Tony Hall joined i think.

Me father loves em. Always telling me about the glory days. How many leagues did they win a row again? 3 or 4 was it?

had some great players mattews, hale and what was the mad keeper they had...balls, what was his name..hate that..didnt they not have bobby charlton near the end of his carrer. Could be wrong.

Anyway, hope they do well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

sydsad wrote: »
    great start for em. Hopefully they can push on and get promoted.

I went through a period for a few years supporting em non stop, going to away matches and everything. Good stuff. From the time just before Tony Hall joined i think.

Me father loves em. Always telling me about the glory days. How many leagues did they win a row again? 3 or 4 was it?

had some great players mattews, hale and what was the mad keeper they had...balls, what was his name..hate that..didnt they not have bobby charlton near the end of his carrer. Could be wrong.

Anyway, hope they do well.

The great Peter Thomas?

Advertisement