Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is an Out of Service bus supposed to be in bus lane or not?

Options
2»

Comments

KC61 wrote: »
    This *should* be tackled as part of the ongoing network review. If it isn't then, Houston, we have problems!

Don't you mean Broadstone?

*Ba-dum tish*

Thank you, I'm here all weekend...... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

MYOB wrote: »
    A bus, in or out of service, is allowed use the bus lane or not use it as the driver sees fit.
    Victor wrote: »
    AFAIK, only buses on scheduled services are entitled to use a bus lane. Strictly speaking, private hire coaches shouldn't use them, although a blind eye tends to be turned, especially if the coach is full.

By using the traffic lane, the bus driver is showing people he is not in service and they won't be quite as disappointed when the bus doesn't stop.

So who is right? :)

By the way, the bus lane was in operation at the time:)

I'd support use of the bus lane by out of service buses. it makes sense to give them the option heading outbound from garage to the start of a route, So that it starts in good time. Inbound to garage not so much, but I wouldn't begrudge it to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭Patser

Regards the OP,

I'm a BE driver, and I was on the Wicklow run this morning, driving in at rush hour. There is a bus lane all along the N11, but it's speed limit is 60, while the main road lanes were 80. Since traffic was light it was better served staying in the main lane, and keeping my speed up. As soon as I caught up on traffic, it was better served getting into the bus lane. Which is a legitimate reason for buses to hop in and out of bus lanes.

As for wether it's better, which would you prefer, empty 'out of service' buses adding to traffic congestion while being unable to use the bus lane, and also increasing there unavailable for service time, or out of your way and gone down the bus lane. Same with unoccupied taxis, motorcyclists, private coaches etc.

Edit: Before someone screams at me, that 80kmh limit on the N11, I'm fully aware is only about half the lenght inbound

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

What is the deal with that speed limit anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

What is the deal with that speed limit anyway?

house driveways and other exits straight into the bus lane so needs to be kept to 60.

This is the original reason for the entire road (section) being only 60 rather than 80

Patser wrote: »
    As for wether it's better, which would you prefer, empty 'out of service' buses adding to traffic congestion while being unable to use the bus lane, and also increasing there unavailable for service time, or out of your way and gone down the bus lane. Same with unoccupied taxis, motorcyclists, private coaches etc.

I'd prefer if the out of service bus used the bus lane, its common sense. A whole lane there lay unused and if the driver used it(which he eventually did), it would be beneficial for public transport efficiency if you know what i mean :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

The big operating issue we have at Swords Express is getting the bus back into the city centre in the evening to do a second run during the rush hour. Some of these buses travel back to the city empty, for speed. We need the bus lanes to get us there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

House driveways and other exits straight into the bus lane so needs to be kept to 60.

Indeed,yet another of the multitude of "Benefits" we have from our "World Class" Urban Planning and Development as practiced over the past 3 decades in Ireland.

It`s more apparent than ever that the native Irish are somewhat bereft of the scope of vision needed to allow for Efficient,effective and Affordable Public Transport.

Had we sub-contracted the entire business out to the Dutch,for example,we might be travelling on older,more basic vehicles BUT they would be frequent,integrated and making maximum use of the infrastructure......we tend to have a great belief in the benefits of a nice ramble in the countryside,at as restricted a speed as can be achieved.

National Transport Authority my ass........ :rolleyes:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

gurramok wrote: »
    I'd prefer if the out of service bus used the bus lane, its common sense. A whole lane there lay unused and if the driver used it(which he eventually did), it would be beneficial for public transport efficiency if you know what i mean :)

What you mean is that you were annoyed that the bus used your lane and got in your way which is presumably why you were so quick to flash the bus when it apparently didn't move off from the traffic lights.

As for using bus lanes in general, there are a variety of reasons why I will often not use certain bus lanes at certain times. Many of them are too narrow, full of left-turning cars ignoring the road markings or are short stubs that end suddenly requiring a yield to other traffic which makes them usesless for making progress except when the general traffic lane is stationary or very slow moving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

house driveways and other exits straight into the bus lane so needs to be kept to 60.

This is the original reason for the entire road (section) being only 60 rather than 80

Only the section from Loughlinstown to Cabinteely has been changed from 60 to 60/80. Cabinteely to Foxrock was always 80 and has no private access.

Vic_08 wrote: »
    What you mean is that you were annoyed that the bus used your lane and got in your way which is presumably why you were so quick to flash the bus when it apparently didn't move off from the traffic lights.

No and no, you picked up the wrong end of the stick there. I was not in a hurry and I did not flash the bus, I had switched on my lights as it was getting dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Vic_08 wrote: »
    Only the section from Loughlinstown to Cabinteely has been changed from 60 to 60/80. Cabinteely to Foxrock was always 80 and has no private access.

I know that, thats why I had "section" in brackets :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Tescoboat52

I think its a good idea to keep the bus seperate as then if the empty bus needs to get somewhere to work a service it can do so with out as much as delay as it might have in traffic with cars. Then the service would not be delayed leaving as the bus would be more likely to get there in time.

Advertisement