Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it worth ugrading to windows 7?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 LinHaX

I used to have problems with drivers in Windows 7 few months ago, but last month I had to format my HDD, and I gave it a next chance. Installation process is very quick and intuitive even for beginners, and the system works much faster and definietaly more stable than Vista.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/6759441/Trail/searchtext%3EWINDOWS+7.htm

Is this one looking ok to upgrade from vista home premium?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

phi3 wrote: »

this is what they say at the bottom
    For purchase of Dell computer from MADLapTOP only.

It's OEM and can't be sold separately from the laptop
    also it's a DELL cd so won't install on another brand of laptop

this is what they say at the bottom
    For purchase of Dell computer from MADLapTOP only.

It's OEM and can't be sold separately from the laptop
    also it's a DELL cd so won't install on another brand of laptop

Ya i emailed them to ask if it would only work on dell laptops and they said it would work on any laptop or pc. Still sounds a bit dodgy tho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭GTE

Personally I moved up to Windows 7 this weekend.

Amazed. Its as fast if not a little quicker on my netbook then XP and thats pretty good going since all the visual features are on. Well done to Microsoft on this one.

I highly recommend Windows 7 for everyday use.
    If you are using it for audio recording (my area), different story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I haven't found much difference in speed between XP (One a few machines) and Windows 7 (on one machine) . I've had Windows 7 for over a year now. But I had no end of problems with Vista. Windows 7 has been great.

Not all CPU/Motherboards are 64bit compatible. you have to check that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

OP have you tried a clean install of Vista?
    It's as likely to solve your problems and at no cost.
    I'm running Vista on my laptop (day to day machine) and W7 on my gaming desktop and wouldn't say it is worth the price of upgrading.

Seifer wrote: »
    OP have you tried a clean install of Vista?
    It's as likely to solve your problems and at no cost.
    I'm running Vista on my laptop (day to day machine) and W7 on my gaming desktop and wouldn't say it is worth the price of upgrading.

Really? Might give it a try. I did a restore before (with the restore disks) alrite if that has the same effect

Make sure you do a clean install this time though not a restore.
    If you're unable to install service packs then something important has obviously been corrupted.

• Advertisement

Just a question on this full install.
    Will i loose everything saved on the computer?
    Will everything have to be re-installed afterwards?

Yes to both.
    This will be the case if you do a Windows 7 install as well though. It would be crazy to try and do an upgrade install of Windows 7 with your current Vista considering your main problem is with updating Vista.

Seifer wrote: »
    Yes to both.
    This will be the case if you do a Windows 7 install as well though. It would be crazy to try and do an upgrade install of Windows 7 with your current Vista considering your main problem is with updating Vista.

Thanks
    Will have to root out my install disks so.

Well I've upgraded. All is well so far. Very quick install with no restarts or problems. Don't understand this watch live tv thing though. I thought they were saying there is a way you can pay per programme you watch but i can't figure it out yet anyway.

Still using Windows 7 here. Have had very few issues but still hate the shell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Viscaria

Windows 7 is definitely an upgrade from vista, Internet explorer is still crap though.

Viscaria wrote: »
    Windows 7 is definitely an upgrade from vista, Internet explorer is still crap though.

Google chrome is an improvement on it-- not just for windows 7. just in general

Advertisement