Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Agreed. In championship their record has been good. TTM is still banging the same drum but record last summer was good. I'll judge the management at the end of this summer, they deserve the benefit of the doubt for now.

I'm not saying questions shouldn't be asked, they really should in order for us to be at our best for the summer, but I think they do deserve the benefit of the doubt. Maybe they should be told by the county board to really focus on the league at some stage, it isn't great for the fans as Hanalei said. If I had travelled up to Dublin and witnessed that performance, I'd be pretty pissed off.

But at the end of the day, the fact is that the majority of fans only care about the Championship. It seems the players only really care about the Championship. TJ & his management team will live and die by their performances in the Chamionship. I would say that if we lose to Clare and don't reach a semi-final, he could be gone by the end of the year. But the last two years, I really doubted we'd do anything in the Championship after a bad league and I'm not going to make that mistake again.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭pajoguy

Agreed. In championship their record has been good. TTM is still banging the same drum but record last summer was good. I'll judge the management at the end of this summer, they deserve the benefit of the doubt for now.

I am sure the comments were just for the media. We looked dead on our feet so hopefully its a result of heavy training. Some teams are flying now and have been since the league started. Will they be like that in august? Maybe they will. All we can do is hope that the fitness guys know what they are doing and people seem to have confidence in Mark Lyons.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Comments were slightly worrying. But they did get things right for the Tipp, Wexford and even KK games last year.

Wexford proved in the league that the championship was no real test in wexford were a tired tired team and ist twenty minutes as said by a poster before wexford had limerick in that summer game in all sorts problems
    Tipp game fair enough good win but large parts that game limerick struggled
    Tipp evolved as season went on and got better

Cork game showed huge problems to limerick style of play
    Kilkenny game, limerick lost that so one point defeats don't prove anything positive most of the time
    In fact Limerick played the sweeper would have won that game
    Four championship games last year, at best you could say one good win
    Wexford imo were always beaten before they started, I have yet see prove that any team played four top games week in week out gaa in month won all four
    Cork they lost to
    Kilkenny they lost
    Imo I don't see compelling evidence say management got it right but look at wrong recall niall moran who great servant but never going to be real starter brought back to the panel, poor league panel picked with no cover in full back line, play o mahonry at centre forward because he good game in Waterford crystal cup v cotk and v outstanding but young Austin Gleasson but as fennelly showed in the club game he dominated him that he's not centre forward , the poor performance v Waterford. Wexford, offaly, even Laois and Dublin, all this imo shows serious questions of the management

The refusal to play a sweeper possession game bar at the start v wexford but still hit long balls to the forwards, all these show management are not learning at all from the games
    Tj attuide after the offaly game I said it here was worry, all talked bout was the only negative was sixteen wides and happy rest display

I'm sorry but that showed this line thinking within this set up failure call a spade a spade
    It was not mentioned bout disaster league was then
    It was imo failure acknowledge problems exist
    Now soon Dublin beat them it's all league was disappointed and he at odds in can't understand what went wrong he said he can't put he's finger on it
    Imo he's interview in the leader says it all, manager team can't understand why it went wrong
    Not good enough imo
    Surely as many here even said problem is limerick are too old school and one dimension in style of play and predictable so imo as Dublin proved with sweeper, Waterford and wexford and offaly who played sweeper with extra man when dowling was sent off shows limerick struggle beat teams with a sweeper as they only have one style hit it long and win the fifty fifty balls
    He said some soul searching is needed
    Imo no one can ever questions pride or fight in limerick or spirt
    Problems he must realise is he needs tactically astute selector in this set up and must but he won't embrace possession sweeper game
    He simply has no choice to play sweeper wants beat clsre imo
    But he's against that style and has always said this
    There in is the problem unfortunately imo
    And I can't see this changing in eight weeks as it would need culture change attuide limerick hurling to go possession game and this set up is not ruthless enough to do it as there still is majority limerick want old direct style hurling when times hsve changed

Look in fairness others hsve said what I said to be fair
    You even said it yourself
    Yes I said it from day one, it would been easier to go with flow here I admit but look I gave an opinion
    you are entitled to your opinion but imo you fool no one but yourself if you think this management win an all Ireland based on what they showed so far
    There's been poor performance all league and won't benefit the team in the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

pajoguy wrote: »
    I am sure the comments were just for the media. We looked dead on our feet so hopefully its a result of heavy training. Some teams are flying now and have been since the league started. Will they be like that in august? Maybe they will. All we can do is hope that the fitness guys know what they are doing and people seem to have confidence in Mark Lyons.
    In fairness they got it spot on last year where they reached a peak fitness wise anyway against kilkenny(moral defeats etc. etc.) , maybe the players have taken the league doesn't matter too much to heart but there are 8 weeks to championship, as Others have said I think they deserve the benefit of the doubt, if they are as flat in summer then they will be questions and some careers will be finished but until then I would be looking at the last 2 years as a guide...let's see how we are in the weeks leading up to the game....

• Advertisement

Look in fairness others hsve said what I said to be fair
    You even said it yourself
    Yes I said it from day one, it would been easier to go with flow here I admit but look I gave an opinion
    you are entitled to your opinion but imo you fool no one but yourself if you think this management win an all Ireland based on what they showed so far
    There's been poor performance all league and won't benefit the team in the summer
    you were also all over the waterford thread at the start of the year saying you didn't rate McGrath as a manager and they should get rid of him before the league starts? What's your opinion of him now?

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Mehapoy wrote: »
    you were also all over the waterford thread at the start of the year saying you didn't rate McGrath as a manager and they should get rid of him before the league starts? What's your opinion of him now?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭pajoguy

In fairness they got it spot on last year where they reached a peak fitness wise anyway against kilkenny(moral defeats etc. etc.) , maybe the players have taken the league doesn't matter too much to heart but there are 8 weeks to championship, as Others have said I think they deserve the benefit of the doubt, if they are as flat in summer then they will be questions and some careers will be finished but until then I would be looking at the last 2 years as a guide...let's see how we are in the weeks leading up to the game....

I would agree to await judgement until he summer is over.
    As i have said previously we got to league final in 2006 and lost the manager during that years champioship.

uote="Mehapoy;94905838"]you were also all over the waterford thread at the start of the year saying you didn't rate McGrath as a manager and they should get rid of him before the league starts? What's your opinion of him now?[/quote]
    Going off topic now but you asked the??so I'll answer it
    Absolutely your right

I posted in the Waterford thread many times before he took over as manager not just since he got the job you would find
    He's be fair got them promoted and deserves credit however that division two has been poor enough shown by the fact three teams beaten in quatre finals, now Waterford be fair beat Galway but Galway have outgrown cunningham imo who I do rate and are not standard bearers so real test be v tipp
    Wexford were a team I thought would do well but that limerick defeat rocked them but given what dunne took over I think he's done well

Waterford have beaten most teams in a poorer division, didn't beat limerick, so there still work to be done
    What impressed me though was ability and desire from then to not go through the motion in any games but v antrim etc offaly showed desire and hunger to go for big scores something cork didn't do last year that division or limerick this year
    That imo deserves credit to him

Has mcgrath proved he's top senior managers inter county yet?
    He done all that was asked so far be fair but
    Has to perform in the big games to prove it imo and while I would thought cork would won handy before i don't now simply cause full back huge problem in cork with Joyce out but I believe Waterford won't due this league be under estimate like last year and cork I think will win and I don't think cork will loose that game but I don't think cork are all Ireland contenders just yet over full back issue but bar tipp I wouldn't fear any of the rest bar possible clare also if they sort themselves out
    Cork unfortunately have problems but to be fair to management I blamed them before for full back not their fault this time as Joyce is injured and cahalane struggling with injury and no real options solve this issue and against KK we could be in trouble
    Limerick on other hand imo problems they have are all quite fixable and if had sweeper system would strong than cotk as unlike cork have best full-back in the game currently but also down the line have outstanding riche English coming up and down the line paddy o loughin
    That cork don't have bar Possible colm Spillane but he's injured also

What mcgrath has done is implemented sweeper system and he's correct to do so but too early to say he is top one yet
    Tipperary is a good test imo and better gauge as I sense tipp all out to win league now kilkenny are out it and they badly need silverware
    I could be wrong of course but I think tipp will win this

Back to limerick, would you think or be confident this set up can win limerick all Ireland?
    Would you have any reservations about them, no doubt commitment etc. I'm on bout tactical wise and embrace new game plan
    For what it is worth I belive the talent is In limerick that would be phenomenal in a sweeper possession game imo
    O grady as a sweeper be brilliant but he'll be played half forward line where he lack pace be exposed
    In fairness to mcgrath he had better record than tj at under age etc
    I think tj has benft as part set up but wouldn't have him the main man
    Mark lyons is terrific fitness coach but fitness won't be the problem, it's ability read a game get game plan is what wins games in big big games in end championship so imo as good lyons is what he does won't be enough on its own for limerick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

They got it right for Tipp last year but had almost 12 weeks to do so, far less time now to fit conditioning, fitness, game plan etc. etc in.

• Advertisement

Back to limerick, would you think or be confident this set up can win limerick all Ireland?
    Would you have any reservations about them, no doubt commitment etc. I'm on bout tactical wise and embrace new game plan
    For what it is worth I belive the talent is In limerick that would be phenomenal in a sweeper possession game imo
    O grady as a sweeper be brilliant but he'll be played half forward line where he lack pace be exposed
    In fairness to mcgrath he had better record than tj at under age etc
    I think tj has benft as part set up but wouldn't have him the main man
    Mark lyons is terrific fitness coach but fitness won't be the problem, it's ability read a game get game plan is what wins games in big big games in end championship so imo as good lyons is what he does won't be enough on its own for limerick
    Thanks for answering, my point in asking was that you wouldn't say Mcgrath is a success now just based on league same as saying the limerick management are failures based on league, same with Oshea last year, was going to be ran out of tipp after league and limerick game,

As for limerick I'm not sure we've found the extra 10% to get an all Ireland, we've some fantastic players but are weak in a number of spots, O'Grady tried the short passing possession game and while we won promotion with it we were no great shakes in the championship,
    I think getting to a final is achievable with this bunch of players as there are a number of teams around the same level, certainly I still wouldn't judge TJ a failure if we don't win an all Ireland this year, it's not as if the lads on the team have a shed load of underage medals, we won the Munster u21 in 2011, that's it, so we've no divine right to be expecting an AI...we should be seeing a game plan and pattern of play though that shows us making progress, if we don't see that then the management will be asked awkward questions but that's a few months away yet...would condemn them for a poor league campaign until the year as a whole pans out...
    Also a coach should also be judged on how he gets improvement out of players, o'Grady improved Condon and downes no end, I thought TJ got the best out of Dowling and, in the end, Hannon last summer...very important too

We are no where near winning an All Irealnd, all this sh-it talk about us being a championship team, yeah, our record really proves that...You don't start preparing for an All-Ireland in April, we're not Kilkenny that we can get through the lesser rounds then just turn it on for August/September... I can't for the life of me understand why we spent the whole league campaign just bombing aimless ball forward. The whole world can see the calibre of forward we have and how dangerous they are with ball in hand- We added young Lynch and Reidy, even Fitzgibbon- Nice hurlers, bit if flash about them, particularly Lynch- and we don't formulate a plan to get them on the ball- Look at Waterford as a contrast, they've brought in 5/6 youngsters from the minor team of '13 and they've slotted them into a system that gets the best out of the individual and team... There's no way we have pushed on from last year and lads clinging to the hope of coming good for championship might want to factor in who was in charge for the nuts and bolts stuff done over winter- 2 AI winning managers. I hope this post is pulled up in 7 weeks to show how wrong I was, i'd gladly take 50 lashes on O'Conell street with it, but I just don't see it happening- not for Clare anyway- a kind draw in the back door and who knows...

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭homeofhurling

i would worry for limerick going into the championship, the last two years they were underdogs big time this year they won't after last years display in munster and again kilkenny in the semil final.

waiting for them is a clare side who are hurting and a clare side with a point to prove. all ireland under 21 winners 3 years in a row and 2013 all ireland senior winners. they are still a top class side with top class players in every line of the field, now thats not saying limerick don't they to have a fine young team but as i said early on in this thread they are not as far ahead as some think, i belive they will be up for as we say a derby with their neighbours clare, but if they aren't it could be a very long day down in thurles as in my opinion i think Clare could be the dark horses for munster this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

Just going back to Oliver Mann criticising online comments; am I alone in feeling that apart from a very small minority of comments that have cut very close to the bone that the reaction here and on hoganstand hasn't actually been that bad? It has been far worse and vitriolic than this in the recent past; I'm thinking after the 2008 and 2009 seasons?

All in all, I think the reaction has been reasonably measured. Yes, it hasn't exactly been positive but it was a woeful and unacceptable performance, what does Mann expect? Does anyone feel we have crossed a line here or on other sites?

Just going back to Oliver Mann criticising online comments; am I alone in feeling that apart from a very small minority of comments that have cut very close to the bone that the reaction here and on hoganstand hasn't actually been that bad? It has been far worse and vitriolic than this in the recent past; I'm thinking after the 2008 and 2009 seasons?

All in all, I think the reaction has been reasonably measured. Yes, it hasn't exactly been positive but it was a woeful and unacceptable performance, what does Mann expect? Does anyone feel we have crossed a line here or on other sites?

Here's been grand... I saw one on Hoganstand slagging off Gavin. Then there's TFK too, but I don't think any serious Limerick fans have been abusing the players at all; at the same time has he seriously been trawling through sites looking for abuse of players or is he a regular reader? Twitter and stuff as well, may have been a few comments on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

The performances have been poor and thats all we've said. If I was to blame anyone id blame management for not having players prepared, but they have a plan to peak later in the season so be it. Criticising players is not on there in the squad because there the best we have in the county and the sacrifices are huge. They'd give us all a hiding if we had to mark them.

Here's been grand... I saw one on Hoganstand slagging off Gavin. Then there's TFK too, but I don't think any serious Limerick fans have been abusing the players at all; at the same time has he seriously been trawling through sites looking for abuse of players or is he a regular reader? Twitter and stuff as well, may have been a few comments on that.

Been mainly wums on TFK, no Limerick fans have slagged off the players, just voiced concerns. chocolatemice says hello to all lurkers.

I'd say the reaction has been fairly measured. Decent summation of the league campaign from jerome o'connell below.

29 players used in the league isn't bad, with Downes to come back in. Wouldn't be surprised if a few lads are added after the leaving cert too.

http://m.limerickleader.ie/sport/limerick-sport/where-now-for-limerick-hurling-after-poor-league-campaign-1-6668970

http://m.limerickleader.ie/sport/limerick-sport/how-limerick-s-29-players-fared-in-the-league-and-their-championship-chances-1-6669041

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

I'd be a lot more criticial if I thought the league counted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭slegs

The Clare match is going to be one hell of a match. Both teams with loads to prove. Cant beat first game of the championship in Thurles. Like Christmas day in May!

• Advertisement

slegs wrote: »
    The Clare match is going to be one hell of a match. Both teams with loads to prove. Cant beat first game of the championship in Thurles. Like Christmas day in May!

Minors hurlers play next Wednesday in cork, anyone with a stab at the starting team? Hopefully they are competitive, if they lose a tight one might be an advantage in getting a tough game against tipp or waterford to iron out any problems and the chance of a second crack at cork at home...if we got to a Munster final this year would be a great year as important to keep momentum of last few years going at underage...

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭N20

Minors hurlers play next Wednesday in cork, anyone with a stab at the starting team? Hopefully they are competitive, if they lose a tight one might be an advantage in getting a tough game against tipp or waterford to iron out any problems and the chance of a second crack at cork at home...if we got to a Munster final this year would be a great year as important to keep momentum of last few years going at underage...

6 from last years All Ireland team

Flanagan Grimes McNamara Casey O loughlin, Hourigan
    A year always makes a difference

I haven't seena nay challenges but Barry Murphy excellent for Doon in Harty, and likewise Mickey Mackey very busy for ASR

presume Houlihan and Grimes knocking on door ?

Cork are strong enough this year esp the forwards - I think there's a very good chance the teams will play ech other twice as you say above

shame it won't be ina munster final, I would like to see both progress 😄😄

Cork and Limk both named their minor panels but Tipp and Waterford still playing their cards close to their chest

A bit of shadow boxing going on

McNamara
    Hogan O'Loughlin Doran
    Carroll Byrnes McSweeney
    Flanagan Grimes
    Dillon Murphy Mackey
    Lonergan O'Connell Casey

That might be a very rough outline of what the team might look like. Flanagan might be used up front, but we have a good few talented forwards and he has such a good engine that I could see him being used around the middle of the field. If someone like Peadar Collins or Luke Doran can get a hold of the full-back jersey, and do a good job, it might free up Paddy O'Loughlin to move out the field.

I don't know how the management plan to utilise some of the players, so that's mostly guesswork, Barry Murphy might be preferred closer to goal, but I think he could do a good job at 11. Byrnes would be a solid centre-back. Whelan of Doon might get in at corner-back, likewise Brian Ryan could get in in a few positions, then you've got Boylan, Collins, Andrews, Broderick, Hackett, Houlihan and O'Brien who all featured in this year's minor final and were involved in the U-17 setup this year. A few players all make a late push too.

Considering 6 or 7 of those players I named will be playing senior for their clubs next year and making it onto the pitch, that is impressive.

That's what I guessed s the team a while back but a few people I mentioned haven't made the panel- Luke Doran, Joe Lonergan, Peadar Collins for example.

I'm not overly familiar with some of the younger names bar Kyle Hayes who is a class act, superb hurler, and he's massive at this stage; brother of Cian who played senior during the strike and was on the winning Munster-winning U-21 team in 2011. And Willie O'Meara is James O'Meara's brother afaik, and a very talented player aswell.

Cian Magner Flynn scored a good bit for West Limerick Colleges this year, and William Hurley featured for them as well, while Hayes, McPartland and Houlihan are all options in defence.

Maybe this as a starting team:

McNamara
    Hogan O'Loughlin McPartland
    Carroll Byrnes McSweeney
    Flanagan Grimes
    Dillon Murphy Mackey
    Boylan O'Connell Casey

Wouldn't be surprised to see Hayes at full-back to free Paddy O'Loughlin elsewhere. Houlihan could easily take one of the wing-back slots, while Kyle Hayes, Brian Ryan, Cian Magner Flynn and Willie O'Meara are also likely to be there or thereabouts.

That's what I guessed s the team a while back but a few people I mentioned haven't made the panel- Luke Doran, Joe Lonergan, Peadar Collins for example.

I'm not overly familiar with some of the younger names bar Kyle Hayes who is a class act, superb hurler, and he's massive at this stage; brother of Cian who played senior during the strike and was on the winning Munster-winning U-21 team in 2011. And Willie O'Meara is James O'Meara's brother afaik, and a very talented player aswell.

Cian Magner Flynn scored a good bit for West Limerick Colleges this year, and William Hurley featured for them as well, while Hayes, McPartland and Houlihan are all options in defence.

Maybe this as a starting team:

McNamara
    Hogan O'Loughlin McPartland
    Carroll Byrnes McSweeney
    Flanagan Grimes
    Dillon Murphy Mackey
    Boylan O'Connell Casey

Wouldn't be surprised to see Hayes at full-back to free Paddy O'Loughlin elsewhere. Houlihan could easily take one of the wing-back slots, while Kyle Hayes, Brian Ryan, Cian Magner Flynn and Willie O'Meara are also likely to be there or thereabouts.

Not as strong as the last few years but good set of players for sure. O'Loughlin seems more comfortable in the forwards from what I've seen. Dangerous set of forwards at least and if Casey and Mackey get enough ball they'll do damage.

Not as strong as the last few years but good set of players for sure. O'Loughlin seems more comfortable in the forwards from what I've seen. Dangerous set of forwards at least and if Casey and Mackey get enough ball they'll do damage.

2 younger lads I'd forgotten about- Conor? Nicholas with Castletroy and Coleman with Doon - not included on panel - I thought I'd heard they were very handy but maybe too young yet ?

N20 wrote: »
    2 younger lads I'd forgotten about- Conor? Nicholas with Castletroy and Coleman with Doon - not included on panel - I thought I'd heard they were very handy but maybe too young yet ?

Both still U-16 afaik. Nicholas is supposed to be class alright, my brother is in that age group, said he's the best player in the county at that age level.

Huge match for the footballers today up in Drogheda; win and they stay up, lose and they're probably down. After a great win against Clare, let's hope they can build on that. Think Ian Ryan actually will start this week, hope Hegarty is fit too.

1. Brian Scanlon (Gerald Griffin’s)
    2. Stephen Cahill (Mountcollins)
    3. Johnny McCarthy (St.Kieran’s)
    4. Robert Browne (Fr. Casey’s)
    5. Iain Corbett (Newcastlewest)
    6. Paudie Browne (Fr. Casey’s)
    7. Pa Ranahan (Ballysteen)
    8. Tom Lee (Ballylanders)
    9. Gearoid Hegarty (St. Patrick’s)
    10. John Riordan (Fr Casey’s)
    11. Darragh Tracey (St. Kieran’s)
    12. Cillian Fahy (Dromcollogher/Broadford)
    13. Peter Nash (Kildimo/Pallaskenry)
    14. Seanie Buckley (Dromcollogher/Broadford) (Captain)
    15. Ian Ryan (St. Senan’s).

Ian Ryan on fire early on, got 2 points from play... 2 apiece. Hegarty & Lee doing well in the middle of the field too.

• Advertisement

Darragh Tracey black carded already, less than 10 mins. Danny Neville is coming on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement