Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UNRESOLVED - Office start-up problem

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭skar

hi,
    After installation complete, did you tick the box "delete installation files" (or something like that)?
    I noticed that problem happens when playing with user profiles, and if installation is not full (I mean you have to check "custom install" and tick all packages to run 'em from HDD). And don't remove files used for installation after the installation(read first line). For me and other ~300 computers in my earlier job that worked. there is defferent storry if you play with user profiles (changing home derectories... etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

You could argue for weeks on the whys and hows of why it's doing what it's not doing! And as curious as i would be myself to fix and know why, it's always just easier and quicker to fully remove all traces of the app & reinstall. Failing that, a clean wipe.. but I would be trying the lesser of the two evils first, to delete all traces of office, including files, folders, and registry entries.

In the event of a reinstall, something to backup the drivers, and maybe Ninite to reinstall some of your apps!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I came across a situation like this recently. I tried completely uninstalling and reinstalling Office all to no avail. The only solution I found was to manually replace all the existing menu shorcuts with new ones pointing directly to the relevant .exe files rather than the ones that were installed by the setup. The weren't 'normal' shortcuts where you can look at the properties and see the .exe file it's referencing, there's just a greyed out reference to, e.g. 'Microsoft Word', so they must use some other mechanism instead.

OP, try and just double click normally on the various .exe files and see if it starts up normally, and if so the solution I gave will work.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Tried every solution possible and only one partly worked.
    Creating direct links for the exe's from their original root locations for the various Office parts.
    Meant I lost the standard "New office..." and "Open Office..." shortcut I had on my start Menu.
    I also now still can't double click on a Word/Excel/etc document and start the corresponding app from there.
    Hopefully 2010 when released for sale will solve this problem. From what I have found there is a serious amount of this problem happening and a desperately poor - non-existent really - response from Microsoft.

In the meantime I any using a little known tool called "Softmaker Office" and I have to say I have found it to be MUCH, MUCH better than office now.
    Faster, more alterable, better icons (for the better Thesaurus - easy to use too!) and better size, cleaner, can save in Office formats and read from them, etc more functions...
    SERIOUSLY, its worth checking out. HERE

So something good came from a fall! If this caught on, it could KILL Office dead.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Biggins wrote: »
    Tried every solution possible and only one partly worked.
    Creating direct links for the exe's from their original root locations for the various Office parts.
    Meant I lost the standard "New office..." and "Open Office..." shortcut I had on my start Menu.
    I also now still can't double click on a Word/Excel/etc document and start the corresponding app from there.
    Hopefully 2010 when released for sale will solve this problem. From what I have found there is a serious amount of this problem happening and a desperately poor - non-existent really - response from Microsoft.

In the meantime I any using a little known tool called "Softmaker Office" and I have to say I have found it to be MUCH, MUCH better than office now.
    Faster, more alterable, better icons (for the better Thesaurus - easy to use too!) and better size, cleaner, can save in Office formats and read from them, etc more functions...
    SERIOUSLY, its worth checking out. HERE

So something good came from a fall! If this caught on, it could KILL Office dead.

Did the problem persist through a reinstall of the OS?
    Also, what version of the Enterprise install media are you using? I'm curious to compare it to the version I use at work...

• Advertisement

I didn't get the opportunity to reinstall the operating system as there was too much serious items/drivers/etc also installed, to warrant a complete wipe.
    I'm sure however if I had of done this, it would solve the problem though.

"Enterprise install media" ? If you mean what version of office was installed and tried to be re-installed, it was the top of the range ultimate version.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Biggins wrote: »
    Glad that worked.
    Try right clicking on a document, selecting "Open with ..." , "Browse..." and again manually selecting the relevant .exe file for each document type.

Alun wrote: »
    Try right clicking on a document, selecting "Open with ..." , "Browse..." and again manually selecting the relevant .exe file for each document type.

Tried that, same fault result.
    Completely removed Office now and sticking with "Softmaker Office".
    Far as I can see the computer and user is much better off - so its a win that has arisen out of a loss situation ...and they get to install two other free copies of it free too - at a much cheaper price for the first copy, even better! :)

Office can be waved bye to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

what other software do you have on your PC, i would say its some third party app that using someithing in the office install.

what other software do you have on your PC, i would say its some third party app that using something in the office install.
    Possibility however nothing else is effected in any way or shape and on the effected pc is only standard professional tools.
    No games or crap of such like that might cause strange things to conflict such as dll files, drivers, etc.
    Everything was running fine for a long time then Office went suddenly strangely wacko (yes, I checked any subsequent updates too).
    Scanned for everything possible (multiple times) using Malwarebytes, PCTools System Doctor, Ad-aware and Microsoft Security Essentials. Negative result.
    Also check the firewalls. Clean as a whistle.

Computer is now 100% fine (as before Office errors) now that Office is removed.
    Quite happy now with a better (Starmaker) Office package that suits, found.
    If one of the mods can change the start of the title of this thread to "Compromised found - Office start-up problem" or similar, thanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement