Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UNRESOLVED - Office start-up problem

Options
  • 26-02-2010 10:14am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭

Work collogue has office installed on his machine.
    Every time he starts it up now he keeps getting the following window saying office is setting itself up - yet the full application is installed already!

33bjmmh.jpg

Then he gets the following:

15s698j.jpg

qx3xqu.jpg

I have no idea what the hell its installing but its doing it EVERY time office starts up!

From double clicking a document to actually being able to use it, it takes about ten/twenty minutes minimum.
    I have tried to disable any addons but that has made no difference.
    Anyone suggest anything as to whats going on?

By the way, have also ran the Office diagnostics tool and that could find nothing!

pu5he.jpg

6rn9sg.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

run the office install, make sure u choost options, then install all components on the computer locally.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Run the office install, make sure you choose options, then install all components on the computer locally.

Where is the "locally" option?
    Looked everywhere - no sign of it.
    I have installed everything possible that came with the disc, and put onto the hard-drive.

do a full installation (i think the options are full, recommended and custom)

do a full installation (i think the options are full, recommended and custom)

Have done that a number of times - as well as repair a number of times.

I'm getting nowhere so can anyone suggest alternatives that have a spelling checker that works!
    I have tried Openoffice.org and Lotus Symphony - their spelling checkers sucks big time or do not function at all and this is THEE vital component that is need to be working.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

Sorry, I cant see the screenshots, but is this Office 2007 or 2010?

Has he got both installed by any chance?

When I installed Office 2010 alongside Office 2007, I started getting these messages when opening Word 2007

• Advertisement

2007 installed and only 2007.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

Hi Biggins. Does the user have any other versions of office installed on the computer?

Possible solution here

RoadKillTs wrote: »
    Hi Biggins. Does the user have any other versions of office installed on the computer?

Possible solution here

No, Just one version of Office. Going to try the suggested solution right now.
    Let you know how I get on.

UPDATE: No joy - still at square one. Problem still persists.
    Even though I have FULL ABSOLUTE admin' rights - I get the following:

2nvufbl.jpg

IF i can get around THIS problem I might be able to apply the above suggested fix.
    Even though I have FULL admin rights, its still telling me I don't have permission! WTF???

Been trying to solve this now for near two full days.

HELP!

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Codpeas

Biggins wrote: »

HELP!

Let's see if we can get some good logs that will give us a direction to chase this in. Go to http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc511506.aspx and looking at the "TCO (GIMME) logging" and "Windows Installer logging" sections for reference, enable these two types of logging.
    Then clean out %TEMP% (if you can - if not then datetime will tell you the relevant bits) and then start an app, wait till all the dialogs go away, shut down app and then collect all the logs from the TEMP folder. Then you can either post them here or I will PM you my email address and will take a look as soon as I can.
    Note: In the case of the Windows Installer logging I see it recommends "voicewarmupx" as the string of switches but "voicewarmup" should be sufficient (and probably quicker).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

Did you see in the fix that the user used a tool called "security explorer" to change the key?
    Cant seem to find a reliable download for it.
    Strange allright.

• Advertisement

Codpeas wrote: »
    Let's see if we can get some good logs that will give us a direction to chase this in. Go to http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc511506.aspx .

I go that and all I get is the "Bing" search engine! :confused:
    RoadKillTs wrote: »
    Did you see in the fix that the user used a tool called "security explorer" to change the key?
    Cant seem to find a reliable download for it.
    Strange allright.

I can't find it either.

Its getting to the stage where I am going to have to wipe the complete machine to solve this bloody problem.

I go that and all I get is the "Bing" search engine! :confused:

Hmmm, then just go to technet.microsoft.com and search for TCOTrace - should return that page in the results.

Hmmm, then just go to technet.microsoft.com and search for TCOTrace - should return that page in the results.

Tried that EXACTLY (entered "technet.microsoft.com") and got kicked to Bing again with listing results - clicked them - got the bing search engine AGAIN.
    ...so I tried looking for the tool you then suggested and got the following:

6ofxw2.jpg

If I click on any of the above I get kicked back to the "Bing" search engine for the fourth time!

Tried all the above in IE8 - Firefox and Chrome.

If I click on any of the above I get kicked back to the "Bing" search engine for the fourth time!

Tried all the above in IE8 - Firefox and Chrome.

Weird... anyway, the relevant info you want is basically:

REGEDIT4
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Common\Debug]
    "TCOTest"=dword:00000001
    "TCODarwinTest"=dword:00000001
    "TCOAssertInstalls"=dword:00000001
    "TCOTrace"=dword:00000001
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer]
    "Logging"="voicewarmup"
    "Debug"=dword:00000007

Weird... anyway, the relevant info you want is basically:

REGEDIT4
    "Logging"="voicewarmup"

Tried to check that out but only got as far as "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Common\"
    There is no further subdir' "Debug"

2a61moz.jpg

just uninstall all microsoft office products and reinstall IMO, getting over complicated here.

just uninstall all microsoft office products and reinstall IMO, getting over complicated here.
    In the process of doing just that, however if the I can't gain access to the ".pip" section in the registry, the problem might still persist (and so far it has).
    I have already done 6/7 un-installs/installs/reboots of Office alone in order to try and resolve this.

11v4qx3.jpg

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

In the process of doing just that, however if the I can't gain access to the ".pip" section in the registry, the problem might still persist (and so far it has).
    I have already done 6/7 un-installs/installs/reboots of Office alone in order to try and resolve this.

You could try setting the C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Office directory as writeable, then reinstall. This is where the .pip files themselves are stored, and may help resolve the issue.

Fysh wrote: »
    You could try setting the C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Office directory as writeable, then reinstall. This is where the .pip files themselves are stored, and may help resolve the issue.
    Thanks, will try that too.

UPDATE: Sadly, that didn't help the original problem.
    Managed to remove the .pip dir but didn't help the original problem which still continues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭Angus Og

Is Norton anti-virus on? Saw on another forum that Norton causes this problem.

• Advertisement

Angus Og wrote: »
    Is Norton anti-virus on? Saw on another forum that Norton causes this problem.
    No, Its not installed. Never has been.

Tried to check that out but only got as far as "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Common\"
    There is no further subdir' "Debug"

It needs to be created. Easiest thing to do is to save the following section via notepad as a file called logging.reg:
    REGEDIT4
    "Logging"="voicewarmup"

Then double-click on the file to get it merged into the registry. The resultant logs from having these keys set this way should give us pointers as to why Office thinks it needs to carry out such heavy-handed ROD (Repair On Demand) operations at launch. That will then hopefully lead us to the actual problem and from there we can get a solution.

...double-click on the file to get it merged into the registry. The resultant logs from having these keys set this way should give us pointers as to why Office thinks it needs to carry out such heavy-handed ROD (Repair On Demand) operations at launch. That will then hopefully lead us to the actual problem and from there we can get a solution.
    Done, just waiting for office to start-up again, 20 minutes waiting now...
    (...and this is after from a full fresh re-install - again!)

17clmp.jpg

UPDATE: ok, installed and set-up as laid out. - where do I go from here?

29b1pqp.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

No, Just one version of Office. Going to try the suggested solution right now.
    Let you know how I get on.

UPDATE: No joy - still at square one. Problem still persists.
    Even though I have FULL ABSOLUTE admin' rights - I get the following:

2nvufbl.jpg

IF i can get around THIS problem I might be able to apply the above suggested fix.
    Even though I have FULL admin rights, its still telling me I don't have permission! WTF???

HELP!

To fix that issue follow the instructions on my blog (http://www.certsandprogs.com/2010/02/fixing-error-1402-access-denied-on.html#axzz0gimyTJ0M)

Additionally, check the MSI install log and see if its got any additional info on that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

you might consider using the likes of RevoUninstaller to remove Office, then scan the PC for all leftover files/folders/reg entries. Then maybe install to a different directory, like say "c:\program files\msoffice07". Do you know if there was any version installed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭docmol

Would you not be way faster wiping machine and reinstalling os ond office from scratch? Guaranteed fix, 2 hours max

you might consider using the likes of RevoUninstaller to remove Office, then scan the PC for all leftover files/folders/reg entries. Then maybe install to a different directory, like say "c:\program files\msoffice07". Do you know if there was any version installed?
    Just '07 Office for sure.
    docmol wrote: »
    Would you not be way faster wiping machine and reinstalling os ond office from scratch? Guaranteed fix, 2 hours max
    Its looking that way to be honest. The headache is the usual one, other apps installed, data back-up, driver chasing, etc.

UPDATE: ok, installed and set-up as laid out. - where do I go from here?

I need to see the logs to be able to help further...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Just '07 Office for sure.

Its looking that way to be honest. The headache is the usual one, other apps installed, data back-up, driver chasing, etc.

You could use something like drivermax (free) to backup the existing drivers and restore them once the install is complete.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭Angus Og

There is a post by a guy called 'dekerser' on this page. He was missing some files. Might help.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistaprograms/thread/669644e3-4c67-4a2e-b0d3-5bf50ec19292

Advertisement