Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android Apps

Options
  • 26-02-2010 3:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Sorry if I am posting in wrong section, could we add a section for android apps? there seems to be one for iPhone apps...

I published my first android app today, its FREE and its called JAertel, its basically just a quick browser for aertel. I use it a lot and this app is handy for me. If you download it, all feedback is welcome and I will try my best to implement your ideas, thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Not a bad idea, but should be posted in the forums request forum.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=461

I am making an app atm also. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭maxximus

tw0nk wrote: »
    Hi All,

Sorry if I am posting in wrong section, could we add a section for android apps? there seems to be one for iPhone apps...

I published my first android app today, its FREE and its called JAertel, its basically just a quick browser for aertel. I use it a lot and this app is handy for me. If you download it, all feedback is welcome and I will try my best to implement your ideas, thanks

Hi Twonk , is there an option for next page and an option to view subpages?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

heya maxximus, thanks for that, I will add this option at the weekend, I also want to add in bookmarks, so you can save certain pages for easy access rather than typing in page number

• Registered Users Posts: 55,485 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I searched for JAertel, Aertel (even tw0nk) and can't find it.
    Is JAertel the exact name?

Heya Mr.E, yup its on the market and called "JAertel" I just searched for "JAertel" and "Aertel" there and found it for both, what device are you using and what version of Android? I wonder if market hides apps that have an OS version higher than your own?

If this is the case, I can test the app on lower revisions of Android and change the minimum requirement

• Advertisement

I'm on a Hero with Android 1.5 (running AychTeeSee's Vanilla 3.1 version)
    The phone is rooted, and I've tried searching with Market Enabler (showing all paid apps) and without.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

How easy is it to make Apps Twonk? ive not looked into it yet, i wouldnt mind making an app to pull in music news from my music site.

what language is it written in and whats the best way of testing? is it a wise idea using my current android phone to test such a thing

Mr E wrote: »
    I'm on a Hero with Android 1.5 (running AychTeeSee's Vanilla 3.1 version)
    The phone is rooted, and I've tried searching with Market Enabler (showing all paid apps) and without.

OK, I have my app set to support android 2.1 so Im guessing market is hiding apps that are above your current android version, I will change my app to support android 1.5 as soon as I can, I dont think I have any 2.1 specific code in there so should be just a matter of changing config. I will let you know as soon as this is changed.

How easy is it to make Apps Twonk? ive not looked into it yet, i wouldnt mind making an app to pull in music news from my music site.

what language is it written in and whats the best way of testing? is it a wise idea using my current android phone to test such a thing

Hi dionsiseire, Im a software engineer by trade so Im not sure my answer would for all, but if you are familiar with Java, xml and UI design and layout then it would be no problem.

To start developing for android is a much simpler process than for iPhone, the easiest way is to use eclipse IDE, the android plugin for it and away you go, it even includes an emulator.

Its definitely a wise idea to use your phone to test it rather than relying on emulator, as you can see above, I have learned a lesson today about OS versioning and will need to modify my app to support different android versions. So remember this when making your app.

By the way, if you need help or want me to create the app for you just let me know.

Ah Cheers Twonk

Ive a Degree in Computer Science but i mostly do PHP / Mysql Programming at the moment.

Would love to tinker around with some Android stuff and see if i can make an Android App tap into the back of Goldenplec's Wordpress Database and pull out the Latest News for people in Ireland. Would be quite handy.

I wouldnt hit you up for writing such a thing unless i could pay you which with GP at the moment we dont earn any money on site. Maybe that will change in the coming months so i think i'd have to give that a go myself to make it realistic

• Advertisement

No probs dionsiseire, but my offer for advice is free, I dont mind helping people out when they are starting with new technologies etc. Ive relied on many other peoples help throughout the years.

Best of luck with the app, I would suggest using the xmlrpc facility wordpress provides in order to get the information if this is an option for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Android development can also be done with some web skills using Titanium

see:

http://www.appcelerator.com/products/titanium-mobile-application-development/

The same IDE can generate native code for both Android and iPhone.

see:

Will look into that, i'll start basic and elaborate i reckon.

Cheers guys, lots of help to be had here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭a7k10rf6z8buel

Hi Guys,

Sorry if I'm taking the thread in a different direction but I didn't wanna start andother hero/andorid thread?

Just wanted to know if anyone has used yxflash on their hero for watching videos. Is it worth paying for?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Dont forget Twonk that as well as Os Versioning you'll have to add support for QVGA screens as well for the likes of the HTC Tatoo if you want it to run on those devices.

Good to see other Irish Android developers, I myself currently work commercially on Android, however our App wont be in the Market Place.

If any Android developers wanna keep in touch so we can help each other out pm me for my email or IM, I think that it might be handy to have a few Irish Android developer contacts?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

see:

How good is that? it looks pretty cool.

Quick update, I have modified JAertel to work on Android 1.5 and above now, so will be available to all the Hero users now.

Maximus, I have added next and previous subpages functionality now also.

Next: I will add bookmarking for any page you want to visit, thanks for feedback so far and help

draffodx, Im dead jealous you get to do this for your job! I will pm you later with my contact details, cheers.

Just tried it out, works very well. Now if only RTÉ could keep it up to date (Page 346 - TV Highlights - is showing TV shows from 18th-20th February!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Still not available on the Tattoo. Any plans to make it so?

thanks mr.e, pity about the updates ;)

ludo, im doing it at the moment, i was updating dublin traffic cams first, hopefully by tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭marymc

Tw0nk, my dad LOVES the JAertel. He's a big Aertel fanboy and his new Sony TV won't show it for some reason!

heya marymc, delighted to get feedback like that, tell him I hope he enjoys it!

Ludo, just to let you know, JAertel is now available for tattoo, also overhauled the UI to remove need for buttons, app is now press and long press controlled. Also added progress dialog for slow data connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭PH4T

tw0nk wrote: »
    No probs dionsiseire, but my offer for advice is free, I dont mind helping people out when they are starting with new technologies etc. Ive relied on many other peoples help throughout the years.

Best of luck with the app, I would suggest using the xmlrpc facility wordpress provides in order to get the information if this is an option for you.

Recent Nexus One buyer and wondering how hard is it to put together basic Android apps?

I have no clue about software design.

I used to dabble a bit in programs like Dreamweaver for website design which was drag and drop. Are the similiar programs for Android?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Mickeyie05

great app! just out of interest! could u look at sum sort of app which accesses a persons webtext similar to cabbage or eiretxt

• Registered Users Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭long_b

Any good apps out there for streaming Irish radio stations ?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Mickeyie05 wrote: »
    great app! just out of interest! could u look at sum sort of app which accesses a persons webtext similar to cabbage or eiretxt
    There is an android version of cabbage.Should be on the market
    long_b wrote: »
    Any good apps out there for streaming Irish radio stations ?
    Tunewiki has shoutcast in it which picks up todayfm & newstalk anyway

PH4T wrote: »
    Recent Nexus One buyer and wondering how hard is it to put together basic Android apps?

I have no clue about software design.

I used to dabble a bit in programs like Dreamweaver for website design which was drag and drop. Are the similiar programs for Android?

You would need a good bit of software development experience to make an android app, this may change in time, but at the moment its a must.

Hi All,

Just a quick update, I released JAertel 3.0 with a bugfix on screen rotation, and also added gestures to go to next and previous subpages, so swiping right and left now performs this action. Thanks for all the support so far!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Swiping doesn't work on the G1, I get the Request not found toast when I try it

Advertisement