Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you a YLOD victim?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Super Sidious

YLOD after 18months...

40GB

Got a free LBP and KZ2 from Sony for complaining... along with my €160 refurb...

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

60gb launch model died back in November, just took the hit and bought a brand new 120gb version a few days later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

noodler wrote: »
    No clue.

Did you get a quote yet? Find out what kind of warranty they offer too.

Haven't got a quote yet.Asked them for a rough idea of how much and they said anything from €30 to €120 but I would have to drop it in to them first.
    They offer a 10 t o 50% discount if you send them an sms;

http://www.gsmsolutionsltd.com/services/discount.html

• Registered Users Posts: 12,028 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

PWEI wrote: »
    Haven't got a quote yet.Asked them for a rough idea of how much and they said anything from €30 to €120 but I would have to drop it in to them first.

"This SMS discount service cannot be used for any online purchases such as remote unlocking including Ipod, Laptop / PC repairs or Console repair"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

I should have included this link in the OP, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055795516&page=8. A small number of people have had success in persuading their retailers to replace their faulty PS3s FOC. They have managed do this because under irish consumer law, you are protected by the 'sale of goods and supply of services act 1980'. This states that any retailer, is legaly obliged to provide goods or services of a merchantable quality, therefore fit for purpose, as described, and reasonably durable. The above thread is quite long, and getting longer, but worth a read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭johndoe99

I've had my 40gb PS3 just over 3 years now, and i use it a lot online, more than 3 hours at a time, and its never once given me any trouble. Had never heard of YLOD until now.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

So about an hour ago I became a YLOD victim :rolleyes:

It's a launch 40GB PS3.

Was just listening to some music on it and suddenly it went on me.

Anyways I've read a couple of YLOD threads here and a good few sites via google. Kind of bambozzled as to what to do

So a Q for you's who have YLOD.
    What did you do after you four PS3 had the YLOD?

I was thinking of chancing it and trading it in for PS3 Slim tommorow, but I assume the likes of Smyths, Game and Gamestop would give my PS3 a check and see if all was alright with it. Has anyone else tried this?

I could give it to consolerepairs(again, for the 3rd time :rolleyes:)

EDIT - and COD4 is stuck inside. Anyway of getting it out?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,028 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I was thinking of chancing it and trading it in for PS3 Slim tommorow, but I assume the likes of Smyths, Game and Gamestop would give my PS3 a check and see if all was alright with it. Has anyone else tried this?

That's quite a nasty thing to do, I'm sure they'd make sure it's working first though!

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭disco girl

EDIT - and COD4 is stuck inside. Anyway of getting it out?

You could try this, try turning the power off in the back, then hold the eject button and turn it on from the back. This got my MW2 disc out of my YLOD 40gb last week.

As far as I know they check to make sure the machine is working before they do the trade in.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

disco girl wrote: »
    You could try this, try turning the power off in the back, then hold the eject button and turn it on from the back. This got my MW2 disc out of my YLOD 40gb last week.

As far as I know they check to make sure the machine is working before they do the trade in.

Thanks, just got it out there.

I was fairly sure they'd check it.

BTW what do you plan on doing with your YLOD PS3 then? Repair, just buy a new one or get a refurb one...

• Advertisement

Thanks, just got it out there.

I was fairly sure they'd check it.

BTW what do you plan on doing with your YLOD PS3 then? Repair, just buy a new one or get a refurb one...
    Have been in touch with retailer (head office) who have said they will give me a "new machine", however when I rang to see if it was in yet, the shop bloke let slip it was a refurb....so have e mailed head office for clarification. Still waiting for a reply as the person I'm dealing with wasn't in on Thurs or Fri. I won't accept a refurb....so have given the option of refund or ps3 slim.

How about you?? I have heard alright that the repairs don't last too long.....

• Registered Users Posts: 26,325 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I think legally they are fine to give you a refurb, its only if that breaks down (in your crappy 3 months warranty) that you can then claim a refund I believe.

Its a bit dodgy though, essentially saying a repair is as good as a refund when you only get 3 months warranty.

noodler wrote: »
    I think legally they are fine to give you a refurb, its only if that breaks down (in your crappy 3 months warranty) that you can then claim a refund I believe.

Its a bit dodgy though, essentially saying a repair is as good as a refund when you only get 3 months warranty.

Yeah that's what I don't like....3 month warranty and the idea of (maybe) no comeback once you accept a secondhand machine!

The only reason why I am refusing the refurb is because I was told 3 times (by the shop manager) that I was getting a "new machine". I asked her straight out was it a refurb or brand new and she kept saying brand new......so I am going to hold them to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,325 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Oral contracts and all that!

Best of luck anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭sxt

PWEI wrote: »

Run a mile from ****. Had horrid experience for months with this character, and ended in me literally paying money to have my ipod bricked. The length the guy went to try and swindle and cover up his incompetence was repulsive.

I posted a thread about my dealings with this cowboy here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2055198564 ,

I subsequently found this previous newpaper story on the same lad behind this operation
    SUNDAY MIRROR: INVESTIGATES Stolen phone? Give me a call

The name of the site does sound legitmate ,( before you find out that it is not even a limited company) . This guy is a cunning piece of work, a real scumbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Well I had dropped in my PS3 to GSM solutions before I read your warning.
    They managed to fix it and I haven't had any problems since so I cant really complain.Price was €85 with a one month guarantee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

I fell victim to the YLOD last night. 60Gb Launch model. Had been thinking of buying a slim for a while, so I'm trying to view it as an excuse to pick one up. Going to be a pain losing all my game saves, had been meaning to back them up for ages. Lesson learned!

Advertisement