Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you a YLOD victim?

Options
  • 24-02-2010 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭

There seems to be an ever growing number of incidents of YLOD out there, but sony state there is no real problem. They claim that there is less than a 1/2 of 1 percent failure rate. I find this unbelievable. Has your PS3 suffered YLOD, post the make, model and age (of your PS3) here if so, or even a comment. See if we can get a better picture.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

60gb model and no problems yet anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭Yellowledbetter

60Gb Launch Day model died 3 weeks ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

40gb uncharted pack running strong. Still running as well as day 1 so have no reasonable reason to change to slim

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭dasilverfox

yeah 60gb model. dead dead dead. have to say in my experience sony manufacture some great equipment. well i mean that's if you don't switch it on. i love my ps3 ornament and the way it has a red light followed by a green then a yellow then red again. how cool is that. looks especially nice at christmas. who needs a fceking christmas tree. just spend 630euro on a ps3. well worth it just for the lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,028 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

60 GB launch model, still going strong. Brother bought a 40 GB model a year or so later and it's still fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭DaveTwenty7

60gb Just YROD today. Knew I shouldn't have just turned it off at the back 1st time :mad:)
    Off to PC world to get bits to attempt youtube repair

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Lemegeton

my first console went ylod'd on me. was a launch model and lasted 2 years

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

You should put your vote in this. Doesn't matter if its YLoD or BRod, it shouldn't happen....

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055442721&highlight=death

• Registered Users Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

My 60gb JP machine died before christmas. Fixed it with a heat gun, but it died again a few weeks later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    60gb model and no problems yet anyway.

+1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Happined to my 60gb last summer. Sony gave me a free refurb, no probs so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭alanc2003

Had 2 40gb go on me in the space of 3 months. HMV changed them both straight away. have the 3rd one 2 years and no problems since

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

My launch 60gig died a few weeks back. Repaired it and traded it into gamestop.

For reference, i've had an scph-10000 first series japanese release model ps2 since it was released in japan however many years ago. Its been heavily played, dropped and moved yet outside of the occasional laser clean, it still works fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,325 ✭✭✭✭noodler

80GB no problems.

I know its been pointed out a million times as this is the 10th BROD topic started attempting to "investigate the scale of the problem" but generally speaking people who have no problems won't be attracted to the thread.

Theres actually a far better thread with a poll if you searched for it anyway.

Slick50 wrote: »
    They claim that there is less than a 1/2 of 1 percent failure rate. I find this unbelievable.

I am not saying the rate isn't higher either but its hard to tell.

I mean I don't know how many PS3s are in the country, would I be going too far to say 100,000? I think thats too high but for arguments sake.

1% of that is 1000. .5% is 500.

So you could see a couple of complaints on boards about broken PS3s per week and you could think in your own mind that they are breaking down all over the place, when in actual fact its a fairly normal statistic for electronics - someone quoted the accepted failure rate of electronics before but I can't recall it.

I still think lasers could do with a two year warranty though - they just seem more at risk than alot of other electronic components.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Carra23

Not sure what YLOD or YROD is but I reckon one or the other happened to my PS3 in October. Had it repaired and got 2 month guarantee from the fella who fixed it , it died again there on Sunday.

It is the 60gb launch model and cost €650 so I am not too pleased to be honest.Sony have told me to go to gamestop with €168 and get a refurb. I think Sony should do more than offer refurbs or at least give these refurbs out free if I pay €168 brings the overall cost of my PS3 to nearly €860(includes 40 I paid for repair) . I am not sure what to do I am considering just saving the €168 until I have enough to buy a brand new slim , any advice ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Mitchydkid

Mate the same thing happened to me, the blue ray laser went on my 60Gb launch console, I got it repaired but it froze once or twice, although it was still working I got the slim one.

Yes it cost a few quid but I got a good bundle price, some nice games, now I have two consoles which is proving to be cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Carra23

Mitchydkid wrote: »
    Mate the same thing happened to me, the blue ray laser went on my 60Gb launch console, I got it repaired but it froze once or twice, although it was still working I got the slim one.

Yes it cost a few quid but I got a good bundle price, some nice games, now I have two consoles which is proving to be cool.

So you think I'd be better off blanking the offer of a refurb for 168 and just buy new console ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

60GB launch model and still going strong. This seems to be a larger issue than Sony are letting one, but is still nowhere near the amount of RROD problems...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Mitchydkid

Carra23 wrote: »
    So you think I'd be better off blanking the offer of a refurb for 168 and just buy new console ?

Yeah if you can, I'd recommend getting a new one.

Although mine was repaired and seemed to be working ok (bar one or two freeze moments) I just thought feck this, I like the games, the blue ray, the vidzone etc, the new one is smaller, quieter and less power consumption, so like I said if you can...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

whiterebel wrote: »
    You should put your vote in this. Doesn't matter if its YLoD or BRod, it shouldn't happen....

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055442721&highlight=death
    The poll looks good alright, only trouble is I voted in it before as a "hasn't happened to me yet", so now I can't register another vote.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

The poll looks good alright, only trouble is I voted in it before as a "hasn't happened to me yet", so now I can't register another vote.

Yes, its a major drawback, as is the lack of chance to vote for people to vote more than once.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 phant0m

Got the YLOD on my 60GB launch a few weeks ago and replaced it with a 250GB Slim. Still in the process of trying to repair the broken one though so I can get all my game saves back (quite frankly it's retarded that you even have to do that). That stupid blue screw on the hard drive is holding me back atm though as I made bits of it trying to get it out. I'm buying a hacksaw blade today though so that should sort that problem out :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

whiterebel wrote: »
    Yes, its a major drawback, as is the lack of chance to vote for people to vote more than once.......
    I understand why one vote is a good idea, but it would be great to be able to move your vote, as your situation changes.

Hi phantom, you want to be careful going at that screw with a hacksaw. The friction could cause a static build up, or creat a magnetic charge that could ruin the saved info on the hard drive. Did you buy the replacement unit, or did you get it supplied under the sale of goods act?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 phant0m

Hi phantom, you want to be careful going at that screw with a hacksaw. The friction could cause a static build up, or creat a magnetic charge that could ruin the saved info on the hard drive. Did you buy the replacement unit, or did you get it supplied under the sale of goods act?

Thanks, but the 60GB is completely dead so I'm not really all that bothered about ****ing it up even more :P And yeah, I just bought a replacement unit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Den85

Thankfully it hasn't happened to me yet here we've already gone through 2 Xbox 360s. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 35 fastmover

phant0m wrote: »
    Got the YLOD on my 60GB launch a few weeks ago and replaced it with a 250GB Slim. Still in the process of trying to repair the broken one though so I can get all my game saves back (quite frankly it's retarded that you even have to do that). That stupid blue screw on the hard drive is holding me back atm though as I made bits of it trying to get it out. I'm buying a hacksaw blade today though so that should sort that problem out :p

try a long nose pliers...it's not that tightly screwed in...i opened one that someone tried to jemmy out with a screwdriver

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Got the ylod yesterday on my 60gb console,very frustrating. I'm wondering is there anybody here who have got their PS3 repaired at GSM Solutions on Upper Abbey Street? I know Console Repairs Ireland do a good job but they are in Bray and GSM Solutions are only around the corner from my work.

PWEI wrote: »
    Got the ylod yesterday on my 60gb console,very frustrating. I'm wondering is there anybody here who have got their PS3 repaired at GSM Solutions on Upper Abbey Street? I know Console Repairs Ireland do a good job but they are in Bray and GSM Solutions are only around the corner from my work.

No clue.

Did you get a quote yet? Find out what kind of warranty they offer too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

60GB model bought on launch day, went tits up after 14 months.
    console repairs were as useful as a chocolate teapot, ended up having to
    pay for a refurb. :mad:

At least MS replaced my launch model after almost 2 years FOC when it died.

Advertisement