Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android Forum FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

i try to downgrade and the downgrade program has some problem, it cant downgrade

rats.

Error[140]: Bootleader Version Error

on the phone is says

Checking Main Version
    Update Fail!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Just rooted my hero, what's the best 2.1 ROM out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭mooman

Everyone will tell you different, I've tried a few and find VillainRom best

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Villain 5.3 will be out shortly (as in if not tonight, within the next day or two)

They also just released Vanillain 2.0 last night, which is a build of Android 2.1 without Sense in front of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I got a desire today and i cant connect to wifi.desire is recognising my router and i enter the WEP key it doesnt look for/search for an ip address and just tells me "remembered,secured with WEP" then changes to "not in reach ,remembered".I have a BT voyager router and my PC is a wired connection.Question is what do I need to change to connect thru wifi?complete noob btw!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Villain 5.3 will be out shortly (as in if not tonight, within the next day or two)

Tonight around 11, according to Nathan's twitter.

yabadabado wrote: »
    I got a desire today and i cant connect to wifi.desire is recognising my router and i enter the WEP key it doesnt look for/search for an ip address and just tells me "remembered,secured with WEP" then changes to "not in reach ,remembered".I have a BT voyager router and my PC is a wired connection.Question is what do I need to change to connect thru wifi?complete noob btw!!

Sounds like you're doing everything right. Try grabbing wi-fi analyser from the marketplace. This will show you all of the wi-fi signals in the area. Look for your wireless SSID and see:

(a) the signal strength (you're looking for a nice high curve for a strong connection) and
    (b) how many devices in the vacinity are in the same channel as yours (many on the same channel could lead to congestion and conflict)

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Patrickof

Have done instantroot and it said successful.

Then did Anom 1.6.2 via flashrec and it said succesful.

But the titanium backup says that "busybox works but the su command does not elevate to root "whoami" reports userid 10057.....i think your superuser whitelist does not work...."

I tried going in via a shell and doing su / flash_recover..... etc as outlined elsewhere, but it gave "not allowed"

Phone is:
    firmware 1.5
    kernel 2.6.27-8dd6deee
    baseband 63.18.55.06eu_6.35.06.18
    build 2.73.405.5

Any ideas? (am trying to go to villain 5.22)

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Goolay

Hi guys,

sick of waiting for the official 2.1 rom so gonna give Villain's a try.

Quick question, a lot of the guides I've seen show you how to root phone from scratch. I got my Hero second hand and it was already rooted.

Firmware Version: 1.5
    Baseband: 63.18.55.06JU_6.35.09.26
    Kernel: 2.6.27-mck-teknologist-1.9root@neutrino )
    Build: MoDaCo Custom Rom 3.0 core,
    Software: 1.0.0.A6288

Given that this phone already contains the above do I need to follow any specific tutorial to upgrade to 2.1? Also would I expect to lose any functionality I currently have by upgrading?

thanks a million

Dublin579 wrote: »
    Given that this phone already contains the above do I need to follow any specific tutorial to upgrade to 2.1? Also would I expect to lose any functionality I currently have by upgrading?

No, if anything, you'll gain functionality.

If your phone is pre-rooted and already has custom firmware on it, then you should have a recovery console.

1. Download your firmware of choice (Villain 5.22 is great) and put it on your SD card.
    2. Turn your phone off.
    3. Turn it back on while holding down the home button.
    4. This should load the recovery menu. You'll see a number of options related to flashing and recovery.
    5. First thing to do is do a backup - there should be a menu option to backup using nandroid. This creates a backup of your phone onto your SD card and will take a couple of minutes. If you don't like the new ROM (or you have issues with it), you can restore the backup and you'll be back to where you are now.
    6. Next, Wipe the phone (should be an option on the menu). This will remove the current version of the operating system. This is why you do a backup in step 5 - don't skip step 5!
    7. Now pick the "Apply an update from the SD card" (or something similar) - select it, browse for the zipfile you copied to your SD card in step 1, and select it. You'll be asked if you are sure you want to do it, select yes.
    8. The update will apply (takes a few minutes) and you will be put back on the menu.
    9. Select the reboot option, and enjoy your new Eclair android! Your first boot can take up to 10 minutes while it initialises files and configures your phone, so be patient.

If installing Villain 5.3 over the weekend (the next version, due soon), you should be able to apply it on top of 5.22 without wiping (so any apps etc. that you install today will still be there).

• Advertisement

Thanks so much for the detailed reply, I'm off to try it now :D

Patrickof wrote: »
    But the titanium backup says that "busybox works but the su command does not elevate to root "whoami" reports userid 10057.....i think your superuser whitelist does not work...."

What are you doing with Titanium? A restore?
    Is everything else working OK?

Try downloading Market Enabler (you'll download it on your PC, put the APK on your SD card and install from there), and run it. When you run it, you should be prompted to run it as SU. If you are not prompted (or you get an error), then your phone is not properly rooted.

Mr E wrote: »
    No, if anything, you'll gain functionality.

If your phone is pre-rooted and already has custom firmware on it, then you should have a recovery console.

1. Download your firmware of choice (Villain 5.22 is great) and put it on your SD card.
    2. Turn your phone off.
    3. Turn it back on while holding down the home button.
    4. This should load the recovery menu. You'll see a number of options related to flashing and recovery.
    5. First thing to do is do a backup - there should be a menu option to backup using nandroid. This creates a backup of your phone onto your SD card and will take a couple of minutes. If you don't like the new ROM (or you have issues with it), you can restore the backup and you'll be back to where you are now.
    6. Next, Wipe the phone (should be an option on the menu). This will remove the current version of the operating system. This is why you do a backup in step 5 - don't skip step 5!
    7. Now pick the "Apply an update from the SD card" (or something similar) - select it, browse for the zipfile you copied to your SD card in step 1, and select it. You'll be asked if you are sure you want to do it, select yes.
    8. The update will apply (takes a few minutes) and you will be put back on the menu.
    9. Select the reboot option, and enjoy your new Eclair android! Your first boot can take up to 10 minutes while it initialises files and configures your phone, so be patient.

If installing Villain 5.3 over the weekend (the next version, due soon), you should be able to apply it on top of 5.22 without wiping (so any apps etc. that you install today will still be there).

Hmmm, it all went swimmingly until step 9. It began rebooting and got the little animation ("HTC - quietly brilliant") then I've been stuck on the basic HTC flash screen for 39 minutes! Presume that's not right :( Would it be risky to try rebooting again at this point?

Thanks

39 minutes is too long alright.

Try a reboot. If that doesn't work (don't leave it booting for longer than 15 mins) then restore your backup (reboot while holding Home and restore from the recovery console).

I just did a quick google on this - it seems removing your SD card before booting up might sort the issue for you.

Thanks again Mr. E, restore working fine.

I tried to go through the whole process a second time, and again it would eventually get stuck on HTC splash screen for 15 mins + so had to reboot and restore again. Only way I could reboot was taking battery out.

I think I'll wait for the next update this weekend and try that one. Would it make any difference that my Hero is unlocked (formerly T-Mobile) and using on Vodafone at the moment?

Having the backup/restore option is a lifesaver :)

Thanks again

No probs, if you try 5.3 tonight, and you're still having trouble, try removing the SD card before booting.

Unlocked is unlocked - shouldn't make a difference what network you're on.

Mr E wrote: »
    I just did a quick google on this - it seems removing your SD card before booting up might sort the issue for you.

Oh I missed this comment before, so remove SD card, and let it try to boot up with the SD card out?

Yup. Worth a shot. Your SD card might be multi-partitioned, so the installer could be trying to do things with system partitions (I don't use my SD card like this so I have no experience of it). Your phone's previous owner may have been different though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Managed to upgrade to Villain 5.2 and restored my contacts using wavesecure. However has anyone had any look linking contacts with facebook (done somehow) or (more annoyingly) hiding sim contacts?

• Advertisement

Villain 5.3 is just out :)

ShooterSF, I just deleted my SIM contacts, as I have them all synched through Google anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭godskitchen

ShooterSF, I just deleted my SIM contacts, as I have them all synched through Google anyway.

5.3 worth the upgrade from 5.2? Do I need to do a clean install?:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

5.3 worth the upgrade from 5.2? Do I need to do a clean install?:eek:

Just updated about an hour ago. No need for a wipe, haven't noticed any major differences yet, bar its got FriendStream now.

Handy enough to upgrade so I'd say go for it.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=654030

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Good point :o

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Patrickof

Just reflashed VIllain 5.3 after doing 5.22 only yesterday. Looks good so far.

no problems flashing, just downloaded the zip and then into recovery mode, and "reflash from scdacrd zip" no data or settings wiped.

I've noticed that I tend to get random restarts now and then after using the camera...

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Was using the Legendary V1.3.5 rom but changed to the VillainRom 5.3 last night and its much better, loving it, everything I wanted and dont care when the HTC feckers get the official rom out the door now..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

conzymaher wrote: »
    Was using the Legendary V1.3.5 rom but changed to the VillainRom 5.3 last night and its much better, loving it, everything I wanted and dont care when the HTC feckers get the official rom out the door now..

I got fed up waiting for the update and rooted upgraded to villainrom. It's working great except I can't get Bluetooth file transfer to work (either to a pc or another phone). Anyone else have this problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

I just flashed Villain5.3. Installation completed and when I rebooted I got the HTC quietly brilliant screen, then the android waving, then it went back to the black HTC screen and is not progressing. Waiting over 10 mins now. Any ideas? Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

Ive still not been able to downgrade to root my phone

might just have to wait for an official update :(

Advertisement