Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android Forum FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

My allowance on vodafone is 1gb, but that still means I've only used 80mb.
    The Hero has on-screen widgets to toggle your data connection and wifi connection. You have full control.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭_sparkie_

cool! thanks again for all the help. everybody seems to be loving their desires so i might just have to relieve somebody of their old hero.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭flugel

Will the custom roms improve when they're made after the official release of 2.1 for the hero? Or are the ones out now as good as it will get?

If i install that vinillian 5.02 thing, if he builds an update after official 2.1 do I just update the rom with no need for a wipe and my phone will keep all its settings?

Seeing as i've put off rooting this long i'm basically just wondering would I be better to wait till after 2.1 comes out and then find best rom, or have I built up this whole rooting in my head to a massive event that my pea brain can only manage once!? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭R28

flugel wrote: »

Seeing as i've put off rooting this long i'm basically just wondering would I be better to wait till after 2.1 comes out and then find best rom, or have I built up this whole rooting in my head to a massive event that my pea brain can only manage once!? :o

Once you've gone through the rooting process and installed a custom ROM it will be no bother to go through it again. Trust me, I'm not the most technical guy but I've changed the custom ROM 3 times, and I all I did was follow the online how to's and videos. It's actually easy.

The only problem is wiping-that means you have to reinstall a lot of apps, but that can be down quick enough over wi-fi.

There probably will be better ROMs out after the offical 2.1 release. But there will always be better ROMs out there, as people keep on developing them.

I've been much happier with my phone since I rooted it and installed some of the custom ROMs out there. Although, sadly, it does not fix the 3G disconnection problem. Although I've been thinking about trying to install a more up to date radio to see if that helps the problem.

I say go for rooting your phone. It's simpler then it seems, honestly, and the benefits are great. It really does make the most out of the phone.

Just to add to what R28 said, there is a new version of vanillain due later today.

The main issue (not really an issue, but a consideration) with the custom 2.1 ROMs is that they are using a custom kernel, not the kernel designed for the Hero. They work perfectly well, but when the official 2.1 ROM is released, they will be even better (longer battery life, etc.)

I've had custom ROMs on my phone since November, and update them every fortnight. Its a pretty painless process, and its fun seeing "whats new".

• Advertisement

Do ye guys use a program like titanium backup between roots then?

The only info I'd want back up of is phone contacts really, have backed them up with wavesecure, so that should suffice I presume

I wouldnt care about text messages, call history or any of that stuff. The only thing I'd have left to sync would be facebook accounts, but that wouldnt take long.

Guess I'll wait at least until this new vanillian comes out, I should be able to wait that long!

The only info I'd want back up of is phone contacts really, have backed them up with wavesecure, so that should suffice I presume

I do a Nandroid backup http://code.google.com/p/android-roms/wiki/NANDROID_Backup between updates just in case (but haven't needed to use it). I looked into using titanium back up but it just seemed like too much hassle for me.

Phone contacts are synced with your gmail account (or at least they should be) so they'll be automatically restored once you log into your new custom ROM for the first time. It might take a few minutes for all of them to show up after you first log in, but they'll be there.

I use the app SMS backup for my texts which automatically backs up your texts in a folder in you gmail account, which I've actually found to be quite handy at times.

You only root once. Between updates, just do a nandroid backup (instructions can be found on any ROM updating site). Check the first post in this thread for more information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

im getting huge slowdown on villain 5.22 from the animated home screen and switching between apps.
    anyone else see this?

Are you using a task killer to keep your memory lean? You might have alot of apps open.

If you've just installed 5.22, you need to reboot your phone a few times (at least 3 in my experience) to bed everything down.

Villain 5.22 comes with a program called Autokiller which automatically kills idle apps. You need to activate it first.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Mr E wrote: »

How do I increase the number of rings on the phone before it goes to voicemail?
    Key in **61*xxxxxxxxxxx*11*nn# followed by the call/send button and it should update the delay. xxxxxxxxxxx is voice mail number (e.g. 08*5*******). nn is time and can be up to 30. So if your phone number is 087 3333333 and you want a 30 second delay, then the code you enter is **61*08753333333*11*30#. When you enter this code, you'll get a message on screen saying "MMI Code Started", followed by a message that says "Call forwarding - Registration was successful"

O.
    M.
    G.
    !!

For years I have tried to extend my ring tone.
    Mr E, if we ever meet, you're getting a big hug, a pint and another big hug!!!

PS
    Can I have your babies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

Are you using a task killer to keep your memory lean? You might have alot of apps open.

If you've just installed 5.22, you need to reboot your phone a few times (at least 3 in my experience) to bed everything down.

Villain 5.22 comes with a program called Autokiller which automatically kills idle apps. You need to activate it first.
    yes, taskiller and autokiller are both running, 81meg free
    just the usual background stuff running.

i removed the clock and weather widgets from the homescreen and its running a lot smoother but its a pain not having the extra features.

will give it a few days to see how it goes

"And verily, in the year of our Lord 2010, in Beruthiel's 30,000th post on boards.ie, she doth threw herself at me." Score. :)

(Happy to help)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

A 30,000th post, well spent. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭godskitchen

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭squareboy007

I am trying to add a contact here but when I type the name i want in the "select contact" screen i get "no matches found"

any ideas?

I am trying to add a contact here but when I type the name i want in the "select contact" screen i get "no matches found"

any ideas?

got this sorted

now, how do i remone the sim contacts from showing?

Could someone tell me the difference between the vanillain and villain roms please? Has one of them sense and the other just android interface?

got this sorted

now, how do i remone the sim contacts from showing?

Go into people (i have as short cut icon), press menu, view, then un tick anything you want from showing

Could someone tell me the difference between the vanillain and villain roms please? Has one of them sense and the other just android interface?

Vanillain = 2.1 basic android interface (5 home screens, no HTC widgets)

Villain = 2.1 android with HTC Sense sitting on top (7 home screens, access to HTC widgets)

Some people think HTC Sense adds bloat to the phone, making it slower (which is why they choose Vanillain)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭quackisss

Hi guys, hope you can help me with this!

I rooted my phone the other day and now have Villain 5.2 ROM on it and it's been working fine but I noticed today that my alarm doesn't go off when I set it. It shows that it's set up top and it even says "the alarm is set for x minutes from now" when I set it, I also checked that the alarm volume is up but it still doesn't go off no matter when I set it for! Any ideas what's wrong? Is it related to the ROM or is it just me doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance :D

OK quick update on that, just checked again and the alarms goes off when the screen is still on but when the phone is in sleep mode it doesn't, also noticed yesterday that I can't toggle the media volume while the phone is in sleep mode even though I have music playing! So I'm guessing this has something to do with the ROM since it was never a problem before?

If you are using the HTC lock screen, you need to use the HTC Clock
    If using the vanilla lock screen, you need to use the regular Android Clock.

http://www.villainrom.co.uk/bug/view.php?id=161

quackisss wrote: »
    So I'm guessing this has something to do with the ROM since it was never a problem before?

What ROM are you using?

If it's a ROM related problem there is usually something on the messageboards where you download the ROM from with people asking questions about the problem and giving possible fixes.

If you are using the HTC lock screen, you need to use the HTC Clock
    If using the vanilla lock screen, you need to use the regular Android Clock.

http://www.villainrom.co.uk/bug/view.php?id=161

I'm using HTC lockscreen and clock! Also that problem is different, the alarm goes off but won't stop mine is fine except when it's in sleep mode. I hadn't seen that page so just checked the other problems reported and other people have the same issue with the volume in sleep mode so I'll just wait and see if a fix comes out!

Cool.... Villain 5.3 is due very soon (Nathan is trying to remove all US localisation quirks to make it more generic). Hopefully we see a release tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Anyone had any luck rooting their meteor hero? If so what method did you use? Tried this method but no joy.

squared wrote: »
    Anyone had any luck rooting their meteor hero? If so what method did you use? Tried this method but no joy.

I tried that one originally and it didn't work so I found this one that said to downgrade your ROM version, I downgraded to 2.73.405.5 (link) instead of 1.76.405.1 like it says and then followed the steps and it worked perfectly!

Go into people (i have as short cut icon), press menu, view, then un tick anything you want from showing
    cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

quackisss wrote: »
    I tried that one originally and it didn't work so I found this one that said to downgrade your ROM version, I downgraded to 2.73.405.5 (link) instead of 1.76.405.1 like it says and then followed the steps and it worked perfectly!
    Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Advertisement