Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android Forum FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,664 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

How do I turn off Google + auto back up notification?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

+1,000

Very annoying notification.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Strugging to unlock android box mxii running 4.2.2 Every app tries exploit only to fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

For photos auto-backup??

G+/Settings/in Account Settings tap your account//Notifications/Scroll down to Photos Section/Untick Photos added from Auto-Backup

If you wanna disable all Notifications from this or most apps, you can do it....

Settings/Apps/scroll to App/Untick "Show Notification" box [Ticked by default]...

See pic from my Nexus 7 2013:

IMG_20140814_013430.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Have a Note 2 SGH-i317m (Canadian) which I rooted and unlocked myself. All was going well with it for a year or so until last week, when the wifi stopped working. It just doesn't switch on anymore, when I try to do it, the little switch goes grey for a second before reverting to off.
    Did not update any software or firmware recently which may have caused this, Looked around on xda and other sites and tried a couple of the fixes available but to no avail.
    The next step I was going to try was to remove & replace the wifi antenna, however I am not sure where I can get a replacement antenna relatively quickly, or whether it would even work. Any advice on the root of the problem, or suggestions on anywhere reliable in Dublin I could take it?
    Pretty sure I can't send it to Samsung themselves as its been rooted & flashed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭bazzamac

just changed phones but when I receive calls the name does not appear only the number.any ideas how to correct this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭statto25

bazzamac wrote: »
    just changed phones but when I receive calls the name does not appear only the number.any ideas how to correct this?

Was your last phone also an android smartphone? Sync your contacts on the old phone with Gmail and then do the same on the new phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭bazzamac

cheers.done that but with no joy.could it be a carrier problem{meteor}?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

Carrier shouldn't make a difference, your contacts should be linked to your google account and they should be downloaded when you sign into it on your new phone. Go into settings > accounts > google > click on your e-mail address there and see if the box is ticked to sync your contacts.

On mine it says google sync is experiencing problems so it might be down temporarily.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭alwald

what is the easiest way to create a back-up on the computer for most data on the phone such as contacts, messages, MMS, pictures, music...in case I lose or I want to change from one phone to another?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭Worztron

Hi. If I rooted my Android phone, can I still use O2 with it without issue?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Worztron wrote: »

Yeah

Yes. Rooting will have no effect on your Network Provider.

Network/SIM unlock is another thing.

Why do you need to root?

Yes. Rooting will have no effect on your Network Provider.

Network/SIM unlock is another thing.

Why do you need to root?

Hi irishpancake.

I want to give it a try. I can then install certain apps that require root and remove bloat-ware among other things.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Hi irishpancake.

I want to give it a try. I can then install certain apps that require root and remove bloat-ware among other things.

Well, depending on your phone, rooting could be a two stage process, like unlocking the boot loader first, then the rooting process, which really takes advantage of an exploits or loopholes to give access to system areas not usually allowed by vendors, for the simple reason that real damage can be done by executing command line Linux, which is what Android is.

"Being able to run arbitrary commands as the root user allows you to do absolutely anything on a Linux / Android system, and this is real goal of rooting."

If you are comfortable with this, by all means do root, as you say, there are a lot of apps, mainly system and other ones which can radically modify your user experience, and generally they are safe, but there are others which are not, and humans with a Terminal Emulator, or ADB access, can do untold damage.

Read this too, better to be informed:

http://www.seasonofcode.com/posts/how-rooting-works-a-technical-explanation-of-the-android-rooting-process.html

Well, depending on your phone, rooting could be a two stage process, like unlocking the boot loader first, then the rooting process, which really takes advantage of an exploits or loopholes to give access to system areas not usually allowed by vendors, for the simple reason that real damage can be done by executing command line Linux, which is what Android is.

"Being able to run arbitrary commands as the root user allows you to do absolutely anything on a Linux / Android system, and this is real goal of rooting."

If you are comfortable with this, by all means do root, as you say, there are a lot of apps, mainly system and other ones which can radically modify your user experience, and generally they are safe, but there are others which are not, and humans with a Terminal Emulator, or ADB access, can do untold damage.

Read this too, better to be informed:

http://www.seasonofcode.com/posts/how-rooting-works-a-technical-explanation-of-the-android-rooting-process.html

I have a Xperia E. I use GNU/Linux so am familiar with terminal commands - I dropped winblows years ago.

I've come across these but no joy yet. It's the bootloader is what's tricky.
    http://lifehacker.com/towelroot-roots-android-kitkat-devices-in-one-tap-no-p-1592226618
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/apps/framaroot/root-framaroot-one-click-apk-to-root-t2130276

Edit: I went here and it seems I'm out of luck: http://developer.sonymobile.com/unlockbootloader/unlock-yourboot-loader/
    Please note! It will only be possible to unlock the boot loader for certain releases. You can check if it is possible to unlock the boot loader of your device in the service menu by following the steps below:

In your device, open the dialler and enter *#*#7378423#*#* to access the service menu.
        Tap Service info > Configuration > Rooting Status. If Bootloader unlock allowed says Yes, then you can continue with the next step. If it says No, or if the status is missing, your device cannot be unlocked.

Mine says 'No'. :(

I have a Xperia E. I use GNU/Linux so am familiar with terminal commands - I dropped winblows years ago.

I've come across these but no joy yet. It's the bootloader is what's tricky.
    http://lifehacker.com/towelroot-roots-android-kitkat-devices-in-one-tap-no-p-1592226618
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/apps/framaroot/root-framaroot-one-click-apk-to-root-t2130276

Edit: I went here and it seems I'm out of luck: http://developer.sonymobile.com/unlockbootloader/unlock-yourboot-loader/
    Please note! It will only be possible to unlock the boot loader for certain releases. You can check if it is possible to unlock the boot loader of your device in the service menu by following the steps below:

In your device, open the dialler and enter *#*#7378423#*#* to access the service menu.
        Tap Service info > Configuration > Rooting Status. If Bootloader unlock allowed says Yes, then you can continue with the next step. If it says No, or if the status is missing, your device cannot be unlocked.

Mine says 'No'. :(

bummer....sorry... :(

I'm not familiar with Sony, but find it hard to believe there is not a process to unlock the BL?? :confused:

I looked up vRoot, the Chinese Master root App I have used on some Androids, but can't find the Xperia E mentioned in their list of devices it can successfully root.

There are a few other Chinese ones, but, as you know, they like dropping little bombs into your Android!!!

Hard luck, but perhaps XDA?? always someone there who knows.

And Modaco.

bummer....sorry... :(

I'm not familiar with Sony, but find it hard to believe there is not a process to unlock the BL?? :confused:

I looked up vRoot, the Chinese Master root App I have used on some Androids, but can't find the Xperia E mentioned in their list of devices it can successfully root.

There are a few other Chinese ones, but, as you know, they like dropping little bombs into your Android!!!

Hard luck, but perhaps XDA?? always someone there who knows.

And Modaco.

Maybe in time it can be done. Cheers irishpancake.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Maybe in time it can be done. Cheers irishpancake.

My old XS is still locked years later with no workaround. If it comes sim and BL locked new you can get the simlock removed but never the BL no matter what you do. Its a right pain in the hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Is there a thread for discussing tablets Chinese or otherwsie (similar to the Chinese Android Phones thread)? could be a lot of people looking for info on tablets for xmas

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,208 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Is there some way of seeing - detail - what's taking up your space? My mother's forever stuck for space on her Samsung Galaxy Express, I thought I had successfully move her photos to the SD card, but it says that's mostly free with about 6GB available. When I look at internal storage (which is jammers) it just stays there calculating for ages.

I don't like the new updated chrome app without the refresh button so I've uninstalled the update but it keeps trying to update the app automatically.

IIs there any way to stop this?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Anyone know any good sites for unlock codes? Want to unlock a galaxy s4 from the O2 network, sites I found are looking for €50!

Cienciano wrote: »
    Anyone know any good sites for unlock codes? Want to unlock a galaxy s4 from the O2 network, sites I found are looking for €50!

Ebay?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Ebay?

Nothing for an s4 on o2 ireland!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Is it possible to set default download location to external SD card on a Samsung Galaxy Tab4?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

For those that have rooted non vanilla devices. Do you get the updates straight away then as per say the nexus or how does that work. Where do you even download android?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

No, rooting doesn't change your android version at all. It does make easier to change to a custom firmware though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 dylancommons

Hi just wondering does anyone Know if there are Ibeacon Installation companies in Ireland or?

• Advertisement

Can anyone tell me how to do an image search on google?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Advertisement