Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android Forum FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Looking to root my samsung xcover so I can increase it's internal memory. I've googled and gotten some pretty confusing returns, from downloading to the phones sd card and booting phone in recovery mode :confused: to becoming a superuser :confused::confused:.

I've downloaded an sd card partition tool and the link2sd app so now I need to root the phone. So any easy (paint by numbers for the colour blind) methods to do this.

The phone is a samsung xcover GT-S5690 2.3.6 android. Thanks in advance :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Am I imagining things or was this forum moved or renamed recently?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Yes, just noticed that too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Ye, it was moved this morning to its own forum rather than a sub of mobiles, and name changed to 'Android Devices' rather than 'android' to come in line with recently named 'Apple devices'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

can you output to tv at all with the nexus 7?

tablet - hdmi - tv is really the main reason I want a tablet, and I'd pretty much settled on a nexus 7 until seeing today it apparently isn't possible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Tell me about the android jellybean software

Google, its free, go use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

If I root an old nexus 1 what's the latest software that I can put on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

If I root an old nexus 1 what's the latest software that I can put on it?

you can get Jellybean from XDA:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2096747

no idea if its any good

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Bluestrike

I don't know if this has been asked before and its not really to do with the phone but with boards. A few days ago when on the mobile site, i clicked desktop site but now i can't get back to the mobile version. Can any1 tell me what to do, any help will be much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 11 future mrs mckenna

Hi can someone please help me, I recently got my samsung galaxy s1 unlocked (it was meteor I wanted to use my o2 sim in it) and i cannot get the internet working at all i tried various APN settings am I doing something wrong??Can someone please help me as it is realy wrecking my head at this stage having no internet access on my phone especially as i have a prepaid internet bundle :O I'm on pay as you go if that makes any difference?
    Cheers guys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Bluestrike wrote: »
    I don't know if this has been asked before and its not really to do with the phone but with boards. A few days ago when on the mobile site, i clicked desktop site but now i can't get back to the mobile version. Can any1 tell me what to do, any help will be much appreciated

Have you tried putting touch.boards.ie into the address bar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

Bluestrike wrote: »

Log out, on the phone!!

then clear cookie, cache and history in browser, close browser....

then launch browser and login to boards...you should get the touch site....

don't click desktop again [only jokin'] :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

You could also download the Boards.ie app, it's the mobile version too (it's not official but it works!)

IMO desktop site with the old beta skin works a lot better than mobile version.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭suomi

Sorry if this is in the wrong place!

I just bought a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 tablet and I've been charging it for about an hour now. There's nothing on the screen to indicate that it's actually charging and it won't turn on. I've never tried one before so I don't know if there's supposed to be an icon or a light on the screen when it's charging, does anyone know? I know the battery might be so empty that it's taking it a while to start up but you'd think that in an hour it would've made some progress? :p So, anyone have any experience in charging it?

Using the supplied wall charger and cable? Dont use a PCs USB port or a phone charger as tablets draw a chunk more current.

If its overly discharged have a google for the procedure. I've revived tabs by warming them in the past too, so if you need to try that.

ED E wrote: »
    Using the supplied wall charger and cable? Dont use a PCs USB port or a phone charger as tablets draw a chunk more current.

If its overly discharged have a google for the procedure. I've revived tabs by warming them in the past too, so if you need to try that.

Yep, I used the wall charger and cable that came with it. I tried the wall charger with another cable and it worked, so there must be something wrong with either the cable or the tablet itself. It's been charging for about six hours now and it still won't turn on, no lights or icons or any sign of it charging.

I tried googling that but couldn't find anything that might be helpful. :o I'm going to bring it back to the shop tomorrow, hopefully it's just the cable that needs to be replaced. Thanks for your help. :)

Are you able to get into download mode? (Press and hold Volume Down + Power button for 10 seconds)

Nope, nothing happened. It won't even turn on. I've tried pressing every button and plugging it into a few different plugs but nothing's made a difference. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Can anyone on O2 tell me what radio/modem version you're using ? I flashed recently and just used the modem version that came with Cyanogenmod 10.1 but I think my connection strength may be a poorer than previously, but I can't remember what version that came with stock. I'm currently using I9000XXJVT.

• Advertisement

suomi wrote: »
    Nope, nothing happened. It won't even turn on. I've tried pressing every button and plugging it into a few different plugs but nothing's made a difference. :p

Read this:
    However, a quick bit of Googling came up with a fix that is pretty simple, but still unexplained:

Make sure you've had it on the charger for at least an hour or so. It won't start without enough charge.
    You may have to try the remaining steps without having the USB cable hooked up (I've had it work with and I have it not work until it was without).
    Press and hold the on button. Keep it down while...
    HERE'S THE SECRET: At the same time, keep a finger on the screen.
    Keep watching and you might see a slight change of color on the screen.
    Hold it down for 15 seconds or more. Be patient.
    You should get the battery icon or the system will just reboot.
    Once you get the battery icon, you're set. Just press the on button for 10 seconds and the tablet will shutdown.
    Now power up as normal to reboot.
    You can also put it back on the charger.
    That's what did it for me. I saw there were issues with tablets running Android 2.2 having this problem and then the freeze issue got fixed with 2.2.1. The 10.1 runs Honeycomb 3.0, so maybe the bug crept back in.

Hopefully this will get fixed with 3.1 which should be out shortly. XOOM users are getting 3.1 starting this week, so hopefully this Galaxy will be getting it quickly as well.

Update 1: I have 3.1 and the latest updates from Samsung and it happened again. The freeze happened AFTER the update. So far, it has only happened once after using initially and after an update and a low battery and a charge, in both cases.

Update 2: I had this happen a 3rd time. This time it wouldn't boot until I had charged it for an hour AND disconnected the USB cable. I've added those things to the instructions.

If that doesnt work follow this:
    1. Boil kettle
    2. Fill hot water bottle with 1/3 boiling 2/3 cold water
    3. Place on table and put tablet on top
    4. Put weight on tablet to keep it pressed against the bottle
    5. After ten minutes plug in charger and leave

If you're lucky it will start to charge. Leave it there for several hours(water will go cold but once its going you'll be fine).

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Can anyone on O2 tell me what radio/modem version you're using ? I flashed recently and just used the modem version that came with Cyanogenmod 10.1 but I think my connection strength may be a poorer than previously, but I can't remember what version that came with stock. I'm currently using I9000XXJVT.

Nandroid backups, a useful thing ;)

Nandroid backups, a useful thing ;)

I have a full image back up using CWM, however as the phone is working, just with a lower signal than I expect, I was wondering if anyone who had gone through this before had a modem recommendation.

Oh sorry, misinterpreted your post.

No probs.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Anyone know how to uninstall the EA Games app on an android phone? I've no EA games installed, and i never installed it myself, but i can't seem to remove it. I absolutely hate it when apps do this, and even though it's not doing anything, i want it gone.

Read this:
    However, a quick bit of Googling came up with a fix that is pretty simple, but still unexplained:

Make sure you've had it on the charger for at least an hour or so. It won't start without enough charge.
    You may have to try the remaining steps without having the USB cable hooked up (I've had it work with and I have it not work until it was without).
    Press and hold the on button. Keep it down while...
    HERE'S THE SECRET: At the same time, keep a finger on the screen.
    Keep watching and you might see a slight change of color on the screen.
    Hold it down for 15 seconds or more. Be patient.
    You should get the battery icon or the system will just reboot.
    Once you get the battery icon, you're set. Just press the on button for 10 seconds and the tablet will shutdown.
    Now power up as normal to reboot.
    You can also put it back on the charger.
    That's what did it for me. I saw there were issues with tablets running Android 2.2 having this problem and then the freeze issue got fixed with 2.2.1. The 10.1 runs Honeycomb 3.0, so maybe the bug crept back in.

Hopefully this will get fixed with 3.1 which should be out shortly. XOOM users are getting 3.1 starting this week, so hopefully this Galaxy will be getting it quickly as well.

Update 1: I have 3.1 and the latest updates from Samsung and it happened again. The freeze happened AFTER the update. So far, it has only happened once after using initially and after an update and a low battery and a charge, in both cases.

Update 2: I had this happen a 3rd time. This time it wouldn't boot until I had charged it for an hour AND disconnected the USB cable. I've added those things to the instructions.

If that doesnt work follow this:
    1. Boil kettle
    2. Fill hot water bottle with 1/3 boiling 2/3 cold water
    3. Place on table and put tablet on top
    4. Put weight on tablet to keep it pressed against the bottle
    5. After ten minutes plug in charger and leave

If you're lucky it will start to charge. Leave it there for several hours(water will go cold but once its going you'll be fine).

I actually found that first trick online and tried it before bringing it back to the shop. They couldn't figure out what was wrong with it so they just gave me a new one. :p Thanks for your help!

2012.6.16_11.13.51_2558.jpg

http://www.nillkin.com/english/proshow.asp?mid=2&sid=0&tid=0&cid=1&scid=13&id=2521&page=1

Anyone seen these on sale anywhere? Have a Nillkin on my XS and love it, but this stand version for the S3 seems to totally unavailable :/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

anyone know if its possible to run IOS apps on an android device.

i want to use upc's horizon ap but the tards have only released it on ios with no date for android users, except 'summer'

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

copeyhagen wrote: »
    anyone know if its possible to run IOS apps on an android device.

i want to use upc's horizon ap but the tards have only released it on ios with no date for android users, except 'summer'

No.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

bah thats crap, thought there might have been a way to emulate them

Advertisement