Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pirates Of The Caribbean 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Ridley

It's got zombies ffs! :mad:

The first movie had were-skeleton pirates and an undead monkey?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

It actually doesn't look half bad, will give it a go anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

It's got zombies ffs! :mad:

I know, so unrealistic, skeleton pirates, squid faced undead captains,sea monsters and the sea goddess and guys who are actually living parts of a ship, that I can buy, but zombies? c'mon :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

krudler wrote: »
    I know, so unrealistic, skeleton pirates, squid faced undead captains,sea monsters and the sea goddess and guys who are actually living parts of a ship, that I can buy, but zombies? c'mon :rolleyes:

Glad you agree! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

They seriously need to keep the running time unsder 2 hours if this film is to stand a chance of being decent.

• Advertisement

They showed the trailer for this in 3D before Tron, the shot where the sword comes through the door into the camera made half the cinema jump lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

johnny depps is a ass pirate

• Registered Users Posts: 85,656 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

http://www.digitalspy.ie/movies/news/a320922/pirates-4-scores-highest-us-opening-of-2011.html

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides topped the US box office this weekend, taking an estimated $90.1 million.
    The Johnny Depp-led action film scored the highest opening weekend of the year so far, ahead of the $83.6 million taken by Fast Five earlier this month.

It's not bad, not great. less convoluted than the previous sequels and its more in line with the first one as far as a plot goes, but its a pity Blackbeard wasnt given more screen time to show why he can do what he can (wont spoil it), least Barbossa was given a reason for being evil in the first one trying to turn himself human again (the "bushel of apples" scene) and Davy Jones had his reasons too but Blackbeard isnt given that, hes just bad for the sake of being bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

krudler wrote: »
    It's not bad, not great. less convoluted than the previous sequels and its more in line with the first one as far as a plot goes, but its a pity Blackbeard wasnt given more screen time to show why he can do what he can (wont spoil it), least Barbossa was given a reason for being evil in the first one trying to turn himself human again (the "bushel of apples" scene) and Davy Jones had his reasons too but Blackbeard isnt given that, hes just bad for the sake of being bad.

Doesn't that make Blackbeard the most realistic pirate (motivation wise) they have come up with?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I loved the first and hated the sequels but I feel compelled to watch this one, despite the fact that it has gotten bad reviews.

Does the movie seem like it is setting itself up for a new story arc or is it a stand alone adventure?
    I always felt the series should have been like James Bond with every film being it's own separate adventure.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I loved the first and hated the sequels but I feel compelled to watch this one, despite the fact that it has gotten bad reviews.

Does the movie seem like it is setting itself up for a new story arc or is it a stand alone adventure?
    I always felt the series should have been like James Bond with every film being it's own separate adventure.

It feels standalone, but a few random and largely uninteresting plot points are left dangling at the end that would possibly be explored in a sequel.

It's a film that merely does the job - for the most part, it's moderately entertaining, but it lacks any sort of ambition. It is a significant improvement over the last two, but that isn't hard.

The biggest problem with the last two movies was you werent sure who you were meant to be rooting for, I know they're all dastardly pirates but when the heroes of the movie have seemlingly less morals than the villains then who are we as an audience meant to identify with? its two movies of baffingly convoluted backstabbing and double crossing. by the time the 2nd movie ended I wasnt sure what I was meant to feel for any of the remaining characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

went to see this yesterday and i thought it was alright.

i should point out im not a HUGE fan of the series but i dont find them objectionable.

didnt miss knigthly or bloom. if anything it just cemented in my mind that if depp leaves the series its dead an buried as theyre pretty much his vehicle and without jack wouldnt work at all.

its fairly stand alone but you can see how it could be the start of another trilogy if they wanted.

didnt think it was as funny as the other ones though.

that said its the BEST use of 3D that ive seen since avatar.

yes thats FAINT praise as most have sucked but at least theres a good portion of the film where you actually KNOW your in a 3D film unlike the menagerie of shameless cash ins to date.

i thought ian macshane was great in this though as others have said he doesnt get the same attention that barbosa or davey jones did in the other films.

mostly i couldnt get over how hot penelope cruz was .

i could literally spend ages just looking at her in that get up.

but all in all it was enjoyable. didnt look at the watch and theres some great set peices, certainly ya wont look at mermaids the same way again

:)

id give it 6/10. maybe a 7.

you could do worsse on a night and theres not much else out to compete with it genre wise.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

i didn't get that those slave-drivers were supposed to be zombies. They didn't look like it or act like any zombies i'd seen. :confused:

Well...there isn't alot else on at the moment....mind you, the executives probably planned it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

It was...grand. Not as poor as some of the reviews would suggest. The mermaid sequence was excellent, Barbossa and Jack were entertaining. Blackbeard and his lot were pretty weak though, I expected Ian McShane to be a bit more entertaining.

Overall, I enjoyed it more than 2 or 3, not nearly as much as 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

I thought it was bloody dreadful tbh. They are clearly trying to squeeze in far too many characters, I didn't mind Parts 2 or 3 they were enjoyable enough but this one is just tedious.

Also considering Barbossa stole the show in the last movie they have absolutely butchered his character here IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

i thought it was terrible. I wanted it to end after the first hour. Didn't care about any of the characters, the plot was just a race to get to somewhere for no particular reason, yet more double crosses, a pointless love story between
    a mermaid and a priest, yeah, seriously
    , sword fights, MORE SWORD FIGHTS, oh look, another sword fight... its safe to say my patience was tested throughout the three week duration.

Oh, and the 3D. What 3D? Is this just an excuse to add an extra two euro on to my ticket price? I watched most of the movie with the glasses off. I hate 3D movies. I hate them. I hate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

i got so frustrated with the 3D glasses in the dark/night scenes that I wound up leaving them off for any scene that wasn't in daylight. The difference it made was (pardon the pun) like night & day. Watching the dark scenes with the glasses was like someone smeared a load of vaseline over the camera lens.

Without the glasses items in the foreground of the picture would go blurry every now & then but they seemed to use the 3D so little that I was willing to put up with it in order to get brighter colours and a clear image.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

i have to say.

i havent a clue why so many film makers insist on doing 3D flim sequences set at night.

it just doenst work.

i found myself taking the glasses off now and again just to see how it affeted the brightness and its stark.

It's probably cheaper, like why sci fi movies often do epic battles in desert or tundra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭careca11

watched this film over the weekend ,
    I'll give it a 5/10 mark , was ok ,
    but you know yourself , the more parts made to films to less and less entertaining they become.
    there was probably no need for a part 4 ..................and l get the impression that number 5 will be in the offering soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

I loved the first three films; Could never really understand why people slammed the thrid one so much; I anjoyed the complexity of who was fighting who etc in it.

Wasnt so gone on this one. I agree with another poster who said the love story between the mermaid & clergyman was pointless. This film didnt seem to have Jack Sparrow at its centre which disappointed me. Blackbeard was arguably the lead character and I thought Ian McShane could have done so much more with such an insane character! A review I read suggested it went into some of Jacks backstory; Not sure where they got this from because it only briefly discusses Jacks past with Angelica.

The 3D didnt work for me at all; I wish I had gone to see it in 2D to be honest. Its a different discussion but I dont see this wonderful appeal that 3D is supposed to have.

I saw the 2D one and was glad I did as it was a digital projection of it so was nice and bright and crystal clear, the only scenes that stood out that should have been 3D were the shots in the trailer with the sword coming through the door and Blackbeard pointing his sword into the camera, dont think I missed much else aside from that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I seem to say this after every big release, but this truly was the worst offender when it comes to unnecessary 3D. The fog at the start was cool, but the fact that the vast majority of the film was close to pitch black and set at night was a major downfall, meaning it was regularly hard to make out what was going on on screen. If you insist on using the technology, make sure you alter the cinematography to boot. A major mistake IMO. They definitely overused the sword pointing off screen gimmick too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Yeah it was pretty weak alright, also the 3D is the worst ive seen, i only recall the sword coming through the door with 3D effect and the credits at the end.

My fav part was
    When the Spanish came in at the end, shot the English guy with the flag and he said "Someone make not of that mans courage" i nearly pissed myself laughing..

But yeah pretty weak movie :(

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

What's the running time (not including credits)?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,485 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Savman wrote: »
    Also considering Barbossa stole the show in the last movie they have absolutely butchered his character here IMHO.

I thought that from just the trailer alone...

Off to see it tomorrow but will definitely avoid the 3d version now

• Advertisement

Galvasean wrote: »
    What's the running time (not including credits)?

just under 2hrs iirc, could have done with being 15 mins shorter too, I swear theres about 5 action scenes one after another within the first half hour of the movie

Advertisement