Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pirates Of The Caribbean 4

Options
  • 23-02-2010 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85,751 ✭✭✭✭

Pirates Of The Caribbean: On Stranger Tides just took a turn for the better – Ian McShane is now locking in a deal to play the movie’s villain, Blackbeard.

If he signs on, he’ll play opposite Johnny Depp’s Jack Sparrow as the dastardly baddie that Jack will need to face off against on his quest to locate the Fountain Of Youth.

With Penelope Cruz already setting sail, director Rob Marshall is slowly filling his ship as he prepares to shoot this summer.

Rob Marshall as director should we expect plenty of jazz hands and musical numbers :rolleyes:

Keira and Orlando not on board for the 4th film

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

No Kiera and Orlando is all i needed to hear to get excited. I really enjoyed the first one of there but got worse and worse. Did rob marshall direct dog soldiers? I'm on the mobile site so cant imdb him?

• Registered Users Posts: 85,751 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Ziedth. wrote: »
    No Kiera and Orlando is all i needed to hear to get excited. I really enjoyed the first one of there but got worse and worse. Did rob marshall direct dog soldiers? I'm on the mobile site so cant imdb him?

No he directed Chicago and Nine

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Rob Marshall as director should we expect plenty of jazz hands and musical numbers :rolleyes:

Keira and Orlando not on board for the 4th film

Good news about Kiera and Orlando. Bad news about Rob.
    Ziedth. wrote: »
    Did rob marshall direct dog soldiers?

Rob Marshall - director of Nine, Chicago and Memoirs of a Geisha[http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0551128/]

Neil Marshall - director of Dog Soldiers, The Descent and Centurion[http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0280609/]

I would have had hope if it were Neil.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

ah yes, thats the one. Likewise i would have had hope for NM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

As long as they don't rush into filming without a finished script like they did the last balls up of a movie, this should be good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

They should call it
    Pirates of the Carribean - Scraping the bottom of the barrel, again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

Whats gone wrong with Johnny Depps judgement, that he's even considering another outing after the trash that the last one was?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I heard a rumour that they wanted Russell Brand to play Jack Sparrow's brother, is that true?

Tbh I don't know why Johnny Depp is still doing these, he used to have standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

No series has ever gone into a steadier decline than Pirates. Not entirely sure how this can be any better although I'm glad they've seen sense and are properly focusing on Sparrow and getting rid of the other numbskulls.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Giselle wrote: »
    Whats gone wrong with Johnny Depps judgement, that he's even considering another outing after the trash that the last one was?:confused:

71014_MoneyHappiness_vl-vertical.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Jaysus......let them drown already.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,247 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

niallon wrote: »
    No series has ever gone into a steadier decline than Pirates.

I agree with the sentiment, but the Matrix is definitely neck and neck with Pirates in terms of diminishing returns. They both have sequels that deeply misunderstood what made the originals so appealing, and instead replaced them with CGI crapfests with plots that were often indecipherable.

Pirates 1 was a great film with lots of character, and a level of fun that is missing from way too many blockbusters these days (Star Trek is an equally excellent recent one). If they can remember that, and make a film that doesn't take itself so seriously, and hopefully with a plot that can be summarised in a sentence or two - generally a bad thing, but an asset here - then there is promise. Removing Bloom and Knightley is a step in the right direction tbh.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Some people love the second better than the first (I don't) but 3 was universally panned. Shame, rather.

I don't see why they'd come back for one more film. Of course it'll make bank. I'm sure the actors are expensive so I don't know why they wouldn't make 2 back-to-back again. If you're reading this thread it means you'll see Pirates 4 lol

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Giselle wrote: »

afaik he signed up for the sequels when doing the original, big franchise movies usually have a "if this does well enough you come back for the sequels" clause in the stars contracts, a lot of the time a second movie doesnt materialise.

I dont mind the idea of another one, as long as its not as convoluted as the sequels and goes back to the simple adventure of the first, by the 3rd movie you had no idea who you were supposed to be rooting for, take Knightleys character, she goes from regular but feisty damsel, to asskicking heroine, to backstabbing bitch, back to heroine, to pirate queen, to lamenting wife within the course of 2 movies. the characters spend the sequels all scrweing each other over, and Sparrow and Barbossa, by far the most interesting characters, were kind of lost in the confusion by the end.

As long as its not a prequel I'll be happy, have Jack back chasing the Pearl again.

The sequels do have their moments, the opening of the 3rd movie is fantastic, bet you never thought you'd see a small child killed by hanging in the opening scene of a disney movie?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Ridley

krudler wrote: »
    I dont mind the idea of another one, as long as its not as convoluted as the sequels and goes back to the simple adventure of the first, by the 3rd movie you had no idea who you were supposed to be rooting for, take Knightleys character, she goes from regular but feisty damsel, to asskicking heroine, to backstabbing bitch, back to heroine, to pirate queen, to lamenting wife within the course of 2 movies. the characters spend the sequels all scrweing each other over, and Sparrow and Barbossa, by far the most interesting characters, were kind of lost in the confusion by the end.

Yep. Knightley and Bloom shouldn't be in it simply because their stories have ended. I like the first movie. Not the second as it felt like Orlando Bloom's agent demanded he get more to do. The third I still have no idea my opinion on. It was back to being revolving around Sparrow and that's all the fourth movie should need if done right. Just needs people reacting to him the way the first was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

thank christ orlando isnt in it. Cant stand him and his milky head. he makes me angry. Kiera be nice if she had some boobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

niallon wrote: »
    Not entirely sure how this can be any better although I'm glad they've seen sense and are properly focusing on Sparrow and getting rid of the other numbskulls.

I'd say it can be easily better than the other 2 sequels. The problem there was that they were massive rush jobs, At Worlds End quite famously started filming without a finished script, and it was an utter balls-up because of that fact. I'd say there was a lot of pressure on the production to get the films out by set dates. I'd say this next sequel could be very good indeed, assuming it's not a crazy rush job like the last ones were, and they actually have a script written and finished before they start filming.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

I agree with the sentiment, but the Matrix is definitely neck and neck with Pirates in terms of diminishing returns. They both have sequels that deeply misunderstood what made the originals so appealing, and instead replaced them with CGI crapfests with plots that were often indecipherable.

Actually, I thought Revolutions beat the crap out of Reloaded. Possibly because I was so let down by Reloaded. Possibly because Hugo Weaving ramped up the cheese to pantomime dame level, giving the film a bit of humour to what was otherwise a bit grim.

But as for the Pirates trilogy, this is a prime example of Hollywood greed. The two sequels to The Curse of the Black Pearl were utter trash. I found myself saying during part 2 'this film is really missing Geoffrey Rush.' And yet as soon as he turned up, I violently facepalmed due to the pure stupidity of the whole thing.
    Also, Rob Marshall is an incredibly pedestrian director. Commercially, probably a huge success. Otherwise, massive fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭paddyismaddy

NO%20at%20Heathrow.jpg

no no no no

Geoffrey Rush is officially returning to reprise his role as Captain Hector Barbossa in the fourth Pirates Of The Caribbean. Variety report that Rush’s Barbossa is “one of the few returning characters” from the previous flicks, with neither Orlando Bloom or Keira Knightley returning to the high seas.

• Advertisement

Source
    Dame Judi Dench is to share screen time with Johnny Depp again, having landed a cameo role in Pirates Of The Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, it has been reported.
    The Oscar-winning actress was apparently asked by director Rob Marshall, who she worked with on Nine, if she would like to have a brief appearance in the opening scene of the fourth instalment of the swashbuckling franchise, reports the Daily Mail.
    If her scenes make the final cut, Dame Judi plays a noblewoman who gets robbed by Captain Jack Sparrow, portrayed by Johnny, whom she previously starred with in Chocolat ten years ago.
    The duo apparently enjoyed their reunion and were in fits of giggles most of the time.

I was listening to the BBC5 live resident film critic, Mark Kermode's podcast once. Someone had emailed in saying that they had managed to get a job in the same lot that they were filming POTC4 and wanted to know if there was anything they would like him to shout in at them. The winner was, "Just Stop!". Apparently he actually did it, but obviously it achieved nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Hmmmm....not so sure about this. Will still indulge tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I think it'll be a bit of fun. They've gotten rid of the two from the last films, so at least they won't be dragging it down.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

It's got zombies ffs! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Night Of The Living Pirates :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

But zombies make everything better! It's been proved by science! :pac:

Seriously though, i like the POTC films, cheesy and good for a laugh! Love Depp's character tbh, makes the films.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,247 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

That's one long trailer for a film not out until next summer :eek:

Dead wood is gone, which is positive, but the last two were such disasters I find it hard to get excited about this. Still, the first was so endearing there is still the possibility it will surprise and entertain again, and the change of crew is encouraging. We'll see, but I'm remaining cautiously pessimistic until further notice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

You need all the same lead roles to make it work imho, but il still go and see it, love those movies!!

Advertisement